Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/17/09 14:07

ViciousReilly

List of visual mods

I was wondering if there was a list on the Oniwiki of visual mods and tweaks people have done to oni, with images or video. I am sure there have been lots in the past, but coming in as somewhat new to the oni mod scene I am sure there is a lot of older mods that I wouldn't even know existed.

Just would like to know what else is out there that people are working on smile. I was thinking about a whole slew of ideas of things that could be updated, character portraits, shell and hud UI, textures obviously, but i wanted to see what else has been done in the past. I have seen some on the wiki, but you really have to dig deep in there to find any visuals.

Purely visuals, not scripting .... yet wink.

-VR

#2 07/17/09 14:07

Gumby

Re: List of visual mods

The only recect serious visual mods are here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=998

I've been meaning to upgrade the console images in a higher resolution, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 07/17/09 15:07

ViciousReilly

Cool, its a shame there aren't more people trying to upgrade the art. Although it's a pretty big task still for a game like oni I think it would be totally worth it smile.

#4 07/17/09 16:07

Iritscen

We have been yearning to get more artists onboard for a while.  For some reason we have always been shorthanded in that department.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 07/17/09 16:07

ViciousReilly

Oh I see, well how far have you guys gotten on the scripting side? Obviously there is AE, but that looked more like a really cool tool and resource kit, and I have seen konoko payne which looks to be a one man project, and there was some Oni 2 things I have seen on the wiki, but it looked more like concepts only.

Is there like a dedicated team to making a specific project with a release date or anything like that? Or do you guys just kinda of throw around ideas and code scripts here and there and see what sticks?

#6 07/17/09 17:07

Iritscen

Well, your appraisal in the first paragraph is accurate as far as KP and Oni 2.  There have been lots of simple scripts written, basic brawl setups, and such; a couple scripts are very ambitious, like gmsly's TCTF one (which is on the Depot) but it's hard to do a lot with just scripts, usually binary hacking is required.  Binary (game data) modding only started getting easier after OniSplit came out late in '07, and it continues to add more features that allow us to do more modding, so in some ways we are still figuring out what to do first with these newfound abilities.

The most organized project within the community is the AE, and it's an ongoing project, not really something a release date can be applied to.  There are some pages on the wiki that list the things we are doing for the AE if you hunt around.  But ultimately, our ideas outweigh the time and ability we have to make them happen.  There's three "idea pages", as I call them, which are under the category "Modding ideas" on the wiki.  Most of what's not done either requires an artist or a lot of time, or would take source-level changes to achieve.  But we chip away at them!

Incidentally, we are always looking for fresh blood to add to the AE Team.  We outline the needs and goals of the Team here: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE_Team .  People who know they have time to contribute and have some basic skill at something on that list are always welcome to say "add me" and get added.  Then we put their name on a project so they really feel like a part of the Team smile

#7 07/17/09 17:07

EdT
Website

ViciousReilly: I suggest that you can take the lead on Texturing the game.  Pick an aspect that you want to improve and work on it.  One idea was to add reflections to metallic parts of the game, like the reflections you see on the Striker's armor.

If you have any questions on textures in Oni, we can help.  You might want to set up an account on the wiki: http://wiki.oni2.net/ and get yourself an oni2 account: http://oni2.net/ so you can store your files.

#8 07/17/09 17:07

ViciousReilly

Iritscen: I didn't realize Onisplit was only just released a few years back, I see now you guys are still learning the tools just like I am, so it's nice to know I am getting on at somewhat ground level wink. When I get some more things to show you guys from what I have done to the art I will definately start adding some image and video posts for comments and feedback smile.

Edt: Good idea, I was wondering how they were getting that shiny effect in the game, I will have to look into it. For now I will probably stick to my goals of re-texturing the tutorial level including character portraits and UI (sort of an Oni REDUX I guess) to get myself more comfortable with the process, then we will see where we go from there smile.

Thanks!

-VR

#9 07/17/09 21:07

Iritscen

Yes, OniSplit is only a year and a half old, in fact.  And XML editing was only introduced a few months ago, I think.  Animation importing and 32-bit textures were only introduced today ^_^.  I joined the community right before OniSplit came out, so it feels like things continue to accelerate in terms of what we are capable of.

I think it sounds like a good idea to continue working on Training.  Our planned method, if we ever got going with the process of making new textures, was always to start with a room, then work outward from there and do one level, then another, etc.  I'm interested in what sort of thoughts you are having about improving the UI and fly-in portraits, but if you want to just surprise us, that's cool too, I like surprises cool

Board footer