Scarlett, it is great to see that you learned how to mod in Oni and create a new character. I haven't played Naomi yet, I need to get AE working on my computer.
Thanks EdT and welcome back!! I've learned a lot from other mods created by the members of this community and also from some of the tutorials. I've made small changes to Naomi since her release, and I've been thinking about a custom disarm animation.
I'm glad that oni modding scene is still active.
What regrad chracter.
-The modeling and texturing part need more work
-The Throws animations are both ineteresting and fresh, but need correction in some parts(for exp. Naomi chr. have tendency to stick to other chracter models when executing them or in some cases not even touching the terget)
-Chracter is completlly inbalanced in oposition to others.
-Player can execute never finishing combos without any effort using only basic leg button, or spam hand attack + hand foward throw with do masive damage and can be used in any situation without any additional penalty. Even recaled by You Samer's Sarai Flip leg attack have some frames where player/AI can hit her not to mention long time recovery after the move execution. In your case there is non, or they are really hard to spot in my humble opinion.
Last edited by ltemplar (27/1/16 6:47)
2. I was using paint for the textures because I don't have photoshop or any other useful photo editing software yet.
3. Can you explain further so I can know exactly what change to make in the throws.
4. Well I kinda agree but taking a look at some other characters, that do constant staggers and throws and sometimes spam moves over and over whenever they get the chance. But I do believe some of her attacks need a little nerf.
5. The never ending combo was actually a mistake I made when making her kick combo but think of it as her being unique when I realized that whenever she is AI controlled, she makes her own decisions on what to end the combo with whether its a throw, sweep, etc. actually I don't really find spamming an endless kick combo to be fun that's why I would usually do a sweet or throw after down 2-3 kicks. Also ninjas are able to do never ending combos to. I wanted Naomi to be a fast attacker that's why I gave her speedy moves. Also there are other character that can do punch or kick combo and throw, Muro, Mukade and elite and other ninjas for example. Another thing is that I made Naomi to have players on their toes when she is AI controlled. Unlike most other characters who would do a combo and you know what's coming which makes them predictable, I left the kick combo the way it is so that she can have the player switch stance or dodge. I can add more frames to the throws to give her a longer recovery time or add some soft pause at the end of the throw so she doesn't move for a while after executing a throw.
I just played with her a bit a while ago and some of the things I noticed:
1. Her forward kick and punch throws need more frames.
2. I will put a kick at the end of her kick combo so she cannot spam them but this won't fix much because she can still do endless combos by using kick kick punch kick....
3. Even if I put an end to the kick combo, she can still spam forward kicks.
4. After doing the second punch in the first combo you cannot throw, I tried it several times but the target was out f the throw range. She can do it after the first throw just like all other characters in the game.
6. Her comet trail (her super punch) need to be nerfed a bit because just one of it can kill the weakest enemy in the game. Currently deals 50 points of damage so 2 of it when she is Daodanized is enough to kill you.
7. You just missed number 5.
8. You are looking to see if you did miss number 5
Last edited by Scarlett (27/1/16 16:56)
Use Gimp then. It's free and have similar fucionality to Photshoop.
-Naomi wen executing the second part of the "Forward punch throw" (the one where she land on the chracter and then turn 180 degree and do backflip) has tendency to graphicaly "stick" with her head in the chest of the oponent.
-The second one "The leg jump flip and bone/neck brecking throw" also have some graphical problems especially with tall enemys. When she is on the top of the mentioned char. she sometimes "break" thin air instead of proper bone.
-Yes every char. in oni has problems with throws, but in case of Konoko she use them more like crowd control rather than ofensive move. Second all orginal char. throws(with few exceptions) sends theirs oponent flying which "brakes" them as result form the executor. In your version target stays almost always in the same position which can lead in short time to never ending throw spam. And that's imba. To correct this first decide what penalty the executing char should get(long recovery time after throw , vunerabilty when doing it so player will take damage when there is more than one enemy close to him ,etc)
-What regards the kick combo spam : just add to second kick bigger push value ( simultaneously corecting positon of the third kick which can be more devastating but should make enemy to fall backward). That way the target char. will have more time to recovery after second kick and do something(counter, dodge , block etc) that will brake the spam(note that if he will get hit by the third kick the spam will also be broken and you will still have full combo dmg.).
"The comet trial" is ok I'm my opinion. But if you want to change it just add additional frames at the begining of the move where she can be dmg. and stop. That way she will have her super puch(50-100) and still be balanced.
In reference to AI control and Boss battle. I know what You mean, but Ai will always have some uncovered regions in it's technique due to the 23 limit, and making some spamy moves just to cover that will surley "backfire" You as result in player to player gameplay with fallowing sentence "chracter is cheap and imba".
I have no idea what are You talkig about here.Care to explain a bit more?
Last edited by ltemplar (28/1/16 7:22)
1. Thanks I try that then.
2. I agree with you on the throw, but I haven't gotten to fixing it yet because of giving her new moves and costumes at the time but I can take a loot at it after making her own fighting stance. The thing is that the tgt for the throws were made with another Naomi model because of the height, so I guess it caused some glitch in the other players. Sarai kick throw has almost the same problem where the target body would flips even after the throw is done and the target would go through her body as well.
3. Last night I added some interpolation to her kick and punch throws so there is a smooth transition between throws and other animations and also it makes her vulnerable when she is getting up so she can take damaged.
-I fixed the kick spam last night by adding a 3rd kick that pushes the target to the ground. However like ninjas and master chief, player can skill spam kicks by using kick kick punch then repeat.
4. I don't have to add extra frames in comet trail, I could just edit the XML file to give her some vulnerabilities
@Scarlett, you will soon be an expert at creating characters and new animations!
Thanks EdT. So far the changes I made with Naomi:
1. Modified the her pelvis a bit to make it look more "human"
2. "False image" her new kick-kick-kick combo that does knockback on enemies and also prevents players from spamming the simple kick button over and over again.
3. Interpolations added to front throws to make it more smooth when transitioning to other animations.
4. New fighting stance, Fan Zi. It's a fighting stance I saw in MK Amrageddon and liked it so I made it earlier today.
Last edited by Scarlett (28/1/16 18:34)
Scarlett I really like your Naomi's new outfits and animations, I think you are a natural for animations
the forward punch throw was very creative and fun ^_^
I also liked the forward punch animation a lot.
I like the taunts animations, that shows real dedication
I prefer the back forward kick of the blue army outfit rather than the original.
and I like that you modified Sarai's escape moves for the hunter outfit, I was planning to use same idea one day for Jubei and Akane but adding the mukade disappear particle to it
Here is a screenshot of all your current outfits, I like the blue camouflage and the black and red ones the most. Iritscen maybe you can add this screenshot to the first post of this thread?
Scarlett I suggest you modify the thread's first post here and add the change lot and a summary of your mod in it. that way there is a central thread for this character and all its updates, feedback and such. like I did for Casey for example: http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.p … 415#p18415
I took the liberty to add the screenshot, and a link to this thread to your mod description on the depot.
If Scarlett is going to be updating his first post, then I'll let him add the image too
byproducts are fine, but where's the beef?
Thanks guys ^_^ I will get on to the update of the thread soon. The idea of the dodges came from both Sarai movement when dodge and and mukade teleport. The after image part was ideas from watching animes. The animation is actually mukade teleport animation but with adjusted heights
Last edited by Scarlett (16/7/16 22:45)
Scarlett I added Naomi to the Oni Zen Garden mods: Junkyard and Obsolete. (you can see them in the AEinstaller under new levels)
you can fight her by using these mods:
bringing on the console by activating developer mode
input the command: alloff,
Thanks. And did you add the new melee combat in the text document inside the package? Also no need to use alloff at the start. Whenever you use add, it is the first character you switch to with shapeshifter will appear. So you can simply just used naomion then use add. Whenever I want to test Naomi as an AI, I just use arena of hurt because I added her to it on my laptop before
the Melee Id is now an xml patch included in the custom character melee profile pack which is now a perquisite to the junkyard and obsolete level packs.
yup, I modified that script so that it starts with alloff, originally Leus had it start with allon, guess I forgot about it, so yeah there's no need to type alloff at the start.
I have been playing with this character recently. It is really great and fun. However I believe she is very overpowered. For example shift+punch takes lots of damage.
I really love the new animations! It is so refreshing! I also love the taunt animations! Good job Scarlett!
Last edited by s10k (10/9/16 5:23)
Thanks ^_^ yea I thought adding vulnerable parts of the super punch would balance better since it is not good to use in crowded fights and when enemies charge at you to attack