Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#201 01/15/08 13:01

geyser
Website

Re: Movies

"These clips were taken in order to show that old bugs, which were "glorified" by haters of this game, were fixed."
That's cool, but could we actually have the fixes? Modded ONWC and ONCC, I believe? Where can we get them?

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#202 01/16/08 23:01

Gumby

D: I somehow disalbed video comments...

I'll make some sort of vid....maybe...

Do you want origional Death Ray footage? tongue

Also, the soundtrack is Reload, I'm confused by who it is by...possibly Rob Zombie

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#203 01/19/08 13:01

geyser
Website

@ Gumby: Rob Zombie came readily to mind, but like you I'm not too sure.
The DeathRay is a bit too wacky to include with the Edition, so don't bother.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#204 01/19/08 17:01

Gumby

oh...you just said it could be any Oni footage big_smile

No deathray then...hmm...I'll think of something ^_^ or not \^_^/

#205 01/19/08 18:01

geyser
Website

OTA footage would be cool. Renegade footage, too.
PC users: be sure to use lots of bot shapeshifting.
Try to highlight new weapons, TRAM fixes etc.

On second thought, maybe I'll add the Death Ray.
However, it will be only shown for a second or two.
So, pick the 7 seconds of your choice and upload.

Last edited by geyser (01/19/08 18:01)

#206 01/23/08 21:01

Gumby

7...seconds? Okay, I'll go through to find the best 7 seconds...also there is http://gumby.oni2.net/Videos/

I think Part 1 is the best one, Part 2 isn't too bad, and Part 3 is ok, but leaves something to be desired for (ie the battle with the VDG...I was feeling lazy so I let myself get hit by it 4 times, and wasted a few hypos...) but has its good points, such as rolling past the charging Striker, and backbreaking him. Also, the part where I do a few disarms is nice looking....

I'll Youtube it soon if anyone is too lazy (or appalled at downloading three 50-70 MB videos)

---

Death Ray Footages is already there...though it is 13 seconds, as the last few seconds are Konoko in her Daodan power pose thing...I wish it wasn't such a small picture though...

Last edited by Gumby (01/23/08 21:01)

#207 01/29/08 15:01

Loser

1st: Comment on geyser's/Iritscan's post (little offtopic)->

postI'll do it "my way" in the next release.
There will be 3 common comguy classes, which will fight like losers (not like Loser's)

It was geyser who set Comguy_1.ONCC's health to 255. I have watered it down to 100 ^_^.

2nd: I will maybe rewrite ONCCs' dodge attributes, so far I am investigating, trying to solve gunfire/projectile dodge wall bug. We shall see.
THIS video shows what can occur when you mess dodge logic a bit. Similar to geyser's OMV (Oni Music Video) ^_^

Also NOTE FOR GEYSER: there is a bug in exe about projectile dodge move calculation. See attachment. Those blue lines are supposed to point to the shooter (in case of firingspread they do), probably defining the best angle to dodge. While projectile dodging, it point always the same direction in respective level, ignoring shooter's position. It looks like in case of projectile dodge, these "blue lines" are using absolute zero (0,0,0 of the world axes) instead of relative player's position. Can be seen by "ai2_showpaths=1".

Loser

Last edited by Loser (01/29/08 15:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#208 01/29/08 17:01

geyser
Website

Gomenasai, but I didn't touch your ONCCs, Loser-san. If the ninja comguy had 255 health, you have no one to blame but yourself smile

The bug in the EXE has been fixed some time ago, and I've even linked to it here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 4594#p4594

@ OMV: Not good enough for the trailer, I'm afraid. Also, the music sounds a whole lot like a certain "toccata and fugue in D-minor".
You don't make it clear what exactly goes wrong in that video. Is dodging really relevant here, or do you mean aiming/sidestepping?

#209 01/29/08 19:01

Ultimatum479

Let's fix this so that it _is_ good enough for the trailer, then. ^_^

Primary tip: learn to play it slow and block/dodge rather than going berserk with the attacks. You really shouldn't get hurt more than a couple times in melee combat throughout the entire airport level; there isn't any point at which you're forced to fight more than two or three enemies at once. I mean, you took damage on the first enemy in the level. That's really being careless. Take your time and block; the Strikers' only attacks which do chipping damage are easily ducked or countered with a simple punch or kick, so nothing else should hurt you in a 1v1.

On the Comguy at the beginning (with the Ninja moveset?! Wtf?!?), you saw him do a full PPP combo as you were backing up, so it's obvious that he doesn't stop doing that just because you moved out of the way. When you saw him start another PPP combo, you should've rolled behind him and done a Backbreaker. Rolling around near a "Ninja" (ugh) has bad consequences, as you found out the hard way: their crouch+kick has excellent range and they have good aim with it. You missed a Backbreaker chance when he did a useless stand+punch super move right past you. Also, there are several times you landed an attack and never continued it into a combo, and not just in this fight. If you land a punch, combo it into a throw (or, if you feel like melee-ing a bit, then combo a jab into a crouch+punch on a slow enemy, or a second punch and then a crouch+kick and then a slide or Rising Fury on quicker enemies). If you land a kick, either combo it into a punch and see the previous sentence, launch into a Crescent Kick combo on slow enemies, or combo into a forward+kick knockdown on quicker ones.

When you're unlucky enough to fight the wielder of a Van der Graaf pistol without the blessing of a forcefield (which shouldn't happen either; get away from the suicide bomber more quickly next time), jump towards him so that he just zaps you out of the air instead of stunning you, then get up and attack him (of course, on AE, his zapping you out of the air will probably make him be damaged by your falling on him, illogically). When you _have_ a VDG, use it correctly: zap, then Backbreak. It's the Willow Kick on steroids.

Speaking of the Willow Kick, try using it on Strikers. It ends fights nearly instantaneously. Backbreaker PWNT. big_smile

Did you notice how many times you tried flips and missed or had them blocked? It's quicker to do a slide on a prone enemy; only do a flip if you're sure you'll land it, and you kept starting your flips too late to land them.

Your gunplay needs a little work. Dodging weapons fire is easy if you watch the angle at which the guns are pointed and make sure you're never in the line of fire. You don't have to make exaggerated motions to dodge 'em. (Of course, it's a lot easier when you have better control over Konoko's speed, which doesn't work with the dash-hack...)

But mainly, you just didn't block enough. Just take your time and don't go insane with the offense, and you'll be fine.

Work in progress...

#210 01/29/08 19:01

geyser
Website

Oh, yeah, Gumby, you can remove your files now. I've DLd all of them.
My "not good enough for the trailer" above didn't apply to them, actually.
(I was referring to Loser's glitch-code disco-fugue or whatever it was)

But I must admit U479's criticism is pretty much true, read: you suck smile
Don't get me wrong: I do not mean you should be pwning the AI, either.
The trailer will be worthless if it's just one huge Backbreaker spree...

You are welcome to try and use weapons on the AI. Make them dodge.
You are welcome to let the AI dash at you or after you, and show that.
You are even welcome to let the AI pwn you (e.g., the Comguy ninja).
You are also welcome to play as, say, the green ninja bot. Get crazy.
I mean, not that I have anything against stealth, but it's nothing new.

In other terms: first and foremost, show something arrestingly cool.
Right now, the only arrestingly cool thing I saw is at 4:27 in part 3.
(I just loved how the Comguy Ninja pwnt you with that back flip...)
Then again, how you fought the final red strikers wasn't bad either.

Oh, and maybe leave out the sound next time. I won't use it anyway.

Last edited by geyser (01/29/08 20:01)

#211 01/29/08 20:01

Gumby

Okay, I'll try to find something cool tongue

FYI: I hate using weapons tongue

Yes, I know I am too aggressive, I do better when I block\dodge, I just choose not to smile

The ninja was annoying, I thought I had a free backbreaker, and then he decides to be annoying...I notice that on red strikers too, if I'm not quick enough, they do a backwards punch -_-

A question: Does recording sound impact fps? If not then I'll leave it in my RAWs, but not copy it over when I downsize it...

---

Ninja bot footage for teh lulz....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMt71rNOdMw

Last edited by Gumby (01/29/08 21:01)

#212 01/29/08 23:01

Loser

@ OMV: Not good enough for the trailer, I'm afraid. Also, the music sounds a whole lot like a certain "toccata and fugue in D-minor".
You don't make it clear what exactly goes wrong in that video. Is dodging really relevant here, or do you mean aiming/sidestepping?

Man, it is here just for fun, and by your similar OMV I meant THIS. It is just a random glitch posted for everybody to have fun. And yes, Orochimaru fight sounds like "Toccata and fuge D-minor" on steroids. That is why I like it. ^_^

The bug in the EXE has been fixed some time ago

VIDEO REPORT
Sorry for video being a bit long, I had to record it in one stream to show what I wanted to show. ^_- (w1_tap has ONLY firingspread; w5_sbg has ONLY projectile dodge, "chr_pin_character=1" used to keep AI in one place forcefully).

So.. you fixed the fact that AI was not dodging. I really appreciate that, it is great achievment. But you know that AI dodges projectiles in a weird way. And that is what my talk in previous post was about. I have tried it with your newest exe as well. Result was the same. AIs dodge projectiles, yes, but dodging mechanics (where is the source of danger, where to dodge) are still broken, oriented to the "absolute zero"( "origin", is it called that way?). Try it with ai2_showpaths=1 and with SBG or Screamer.
I don't want to look impatient or too ambitious. I am just reporting a problem, as you wanted us to report.

P.S.: Also I was wrong. Those blue lines are not showing where is the shooter, but where is source of danger. So in case of particle dodge, they should orient to the center of a dangerous particle (as they do, when AI is in origin).
                                                                                                                                                     Loser

EDIT: I have tried projectile dodge in demo. Even there, all projectile dodging is origin-oriented. This looks like a really old bug.

Last edited by Loser (01/30/08 06:01)

#213 01/30/08 01:01

Gumby

...So what you guys want me to do is...

A. Sit there and block until the enemy does a long combo
B. Backbreak
C. Rinse and Repeat

I just did that to EVERY enemy in the first save point of Airport...it bored me to hell...I took very little damage, and only died because I was so braindead I didnt bother to get the forcefield from the worker...

#214 01/30/08 08:01

geyser
Website

"But you know that AI dodges projectiles in a weird way. And that is what my talk in previous post was about."
Ah. Indeed. Thanks a lot. It might take some time before we locate that other bug, but it looks like it's worth it.
That they always try to dodge towards the center of the world explains why Screamers get them trapped, etc.

...So what you guys want me to do is...

A. Sit there and block until the enemy does a long combo
B. Backbreak
C. Rinse and Repeat

No, no, no. U479 is the one who wants everybody to do Backbreaker spam.
Just don't punch air too much, and don't let the AI take advantage of that.
Give the AI the chance to show off their skills, but don't let them pwn you.
You should also take your chances with the AI, not only after long combos.
There is a world of difference between your video and backbreaker spam.
Try to time your attacks at sensible moments, and don't attack otherwise.
The result will be a somewhat more realistic fight: more calculated, sorta.

#215 01/30/08 10:01

Iritscen

Give the AI the chance to show off their skills, but don't let them pwn you.

Also, evasive moves are super-useful, as always, even if someone like myself feels that it's dishonorable to use Backbreakers everywhere possible.  I like to have a challenging fight.

This is an apropos discussion, as I was just working on adding melee tips to this page yesterday: http://wiki.oni2.net/Gameplay#Melee_tips

Anyone can add to it; I'm hardly a vidmaster, myself, so I'm tapped for tips smile  But please don't encourage Backbreaker spam.  And don't go nuts, keep the tips limited in number.

Last edited by Iritscen (01/30/08 10:01)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#216 01/30/08 11:01

Gumby

Okay, I see what you mean. That sounds a bit more fun tongue

#217 03/03/08 11:03

Loser

Hi all,
I don't have too much time, so I am not contributing + I am a bit interested in Prince of Persia 3D now. But don't worry, Oni is still No.1 ^_^'.
However, I have found a few minutes to try one idea of mine, but it screwed up "a bit", so...
THIS is how it looks when you mod and mess something up. Watch and have fun ^_-.

Loser

P.S.: Thanks to this kinda mistake, I have found two interesting things about w5_sbg particles:
1) Shrapnels sometimes hurt Konoko (nice touch I haven't noticed before, observe Konoko's health bar as "shrapnel shockwave" reaches her)
2) Shrapnels stick to the walls (I will fix it when I have time, they should bounce off the wall a bit and fall to the ground)

Last edited by Loser (03/03/08 11:03)

#218 03/03/08 11:03

geyser
Website

Did you tie those particles to Konoko's taunt animation (with a really large offset)?
It's OK for the sharp shrapnel pieces to get stuck into walls, so please don't "fix" it.

#220 03/23/08 15:03

Loser

Geyser:
Nice clay videos! Looks like somebody has pretty much free time on his hands (silent enviness ^_^').
Especially growing muscles are simply amazing. R^2 (Respect for Russians)

About Serious Konoko: "I'm gone!" That really made me laugh, what a cruel joke ^_^. Overall, quite fresh brainstorming. And yeah, 7/8 of those lyrics matched/paroded ONI's situations really well.

About particles - just a silly messing to see if I can attach a particle to character and then make that particle collide with wall. It has gone bad, so I turned off both collisions (wall & character), turned on "attach to object" and set up shorter lifetime. Result was a bit funny. Talk about neo-mad bombers (without their attitude, of course ^_^').

BTW have "you"(some shadow entity linked with you, geyser) fixed orientation of "source of danger" for particle dodging??? I have read that you have made collision for object/characters. Thumbs up, you are GrEaT !!!

For all:
Now...we had 2 free days, I finally managed to play newest Pierre's KP version. End of the testing level and battle with Barabus turned me a bit on, so I have made THIS tribute. Watch Barabus's 2 minutes of glory!

for all2:  Don't ask for files, you won't get any ^_^. Reason-this was so random that I simply don't know what I have changed. Maybe you can get melee_profile if you are interested, but from TRAM hacks-I apologize. (And after all, you don't like any of my changes, so what could be the matter -_^)
Enjoy,
                                                                                                                               Loser

P.S.: I have not defeated him yet, but I was close. He IS defeatable, but definitely not in a click-o'-fest way. If you try to spam attacks, you will get thrown. Howgh

P.S.2: for nitpickers- no, this gameplay was NOT cheated. No early moves, no liveforever, no kangaroo. No cheats.

Last edited by Loser (03/23/08 15:03)

#221 03/23/08 16:03

geyser
Website

Loser, please upload this Barabas video onto YouTube as-is. It's awesome.
I suggest you use the title Serious Konoko Ep. 10 - Kiss My Barabas smile

Probably we won't consistently hack this into Oni before the summer months.
But it's still kickass material for the trailer, which I'd release in April or May...
(however, I encourage you to try and share all the Barabas-related .oni files)

To everybody else, now is the time to provide footage of "new" gameplay wink
Whether you like the features so far or not, please give the Edition a chance.
Just try and make the best of domino knockdowns, interruptible specials etc.
Also make sure you give the AI the chance to own you before you own them.
Try and make the AI dodge bullets/grenades in the middle of intense action.
I'll keep checking on these forums as a guest and download footage if any.

About "Nothing Special": I might reupload it with subtitles, so I'm open to feedback.
So if you think you know how a scene could be rearranged for the better - shoot smile

About character-object collision - it's not totally bug-free, but good enough for cars...
About projectiles - we haven't investigated the actual dodging routine closer yet, sorry.
About your particles - huh. When and if I resume Edition work, I wouldn't hack too much.
I want there to be few additions to the gameplay and storyline, but a few solid ones.
I'll use the (lack of) free time in the next weeks to draw a "sorta todo" on the wiki smile

Oh, and here's Serious Konoko Ep. 11 - Forgot Ten. A rather symbolic one big_smile
It was "borrowed" from an "undocumented fan" who had it set over another song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-o_jFQIdk
http://geyser.oni2.net/video/SK11-ForgotTen.wmv
I couldn't cope with Breaking The Habit: as annoying as post-Reanimation LP gets.
However, ironically, I'm pretty much "breaking the habit tonight" indeed. Have to.

Last edited by geyser (03/23/08 17:03)

#222 03/24/08 08:03

Iritscen

I actually was going to surprise you with Edition footage taken this weekend, but my video capturer broke sad

Also, I don't have enough hard drive space sad

But I should be rectifying both of these fairly soon, at which point I can record some Edition demo video.

#223 04/07/08 13:04

Loser

THIS is a MUST WATCH for every Oni fan ^_^

#224 04/07/08 17:04

EdT
Website

Loser wrote:

THIS is a MUST WATCH for every Oni fan ^_^

Here is the website for the product: http://www.brainfingers.com/

It only costs $2,100 (Oni not included) smile

#225 04/08/08 08:04

Iritscen

Wow, that's so random.  But cool.

Board footer