Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/10/07 04:08

Orochi Konoko

Funny Oni Moments!

Heh, I didn't see a topic like this, and if I missed it, my mistake. But anyway, what're some funny things that happened while you were playing Oni? I'm not lucky enough to have found the PC version, I have the PS2 version. But anyway, here are some funny things that've happened while I was playing.

I was beating up 2 Strikers, and I tossed one and his butt hit the other one in the face and killed him. Wasn't too funny, but it made me chuckle.

A Blue Tanker was taunting me and all he managed to say before I flung him off the roof was. "Can't top Ta-argh!"

In the level where you make it back to TCTF HQ and it's under attack, I watched one of your TCTF Buddies fight a Striker, and they were near a wall, the Striker punches him once, then the TCTF guy goes nuts and just punches him like 5 times then sweep kicks him and he dies. Then I talk to him and he says "Thanks for the assist", yet I didn't even do anything.

The first level where that Static Guard tries to run for the alarm console, as soon as he made a dash for the stairs, I somehow stopped him dead in his tracks and just backbreakered him. Shinatama had just started telling me to catch him after I killed him. Funny.

On the 2nd Level, after you're ambushed, that girl secretary that had you attacked in the first place is just standing around. So anyway, I go up to her and just back breaker her. She deserved it for siccing those strikers on you..I mean come on. lol.

And lastly..On the 5th level, in that room where a Static Guard is crouched down, holding a Vaan De Graff, I took a Superball Gun off of a Blue Tanker before heading in, and blew him up in the corner, before casually opening the door, taking his Vaan De Graaf, and leaving him dead in the corner.

Let's hear some more!

"Do I look familiar? Remind you of anyone..?"
"Oh god, YOU! Here, please, take these, just don't kill me!"

#2 08/12/07 19:08

geyser
Website

Re: Funny Oni Moments!

I'd really like to see more of those. Nice thread idea.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 08/13/07 10:08

paradox-01

As long as my translator says funny means odd also I place this experience here.. smile
It was on the lab level. I run to first console, pressed Ctrl, then Konoko did a strange animation. Looked like Barabas' regeneration but glowed blue and only for a piece of a second. I wonder if I just played to long and tricked my-self.
When I run to consoles and press Ctrl sometimes an other bug appear: she does a run kick. But the other came never back.

Orochi Konoko wrote:

On the 5th level, in that room where a Static Guard is crouched down, holding a Vaan De Graff

When I'm low on health I place my-self in front on the wall and do a backbreak. tongue

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/13/07 14:08)

#4 08/13/07 13:08

Fluffy

I have a couple of animation issues with the copies of Oni on my mother's PowerBook. They're a little worrying, as I used my original Oni CD, but funny nonetheless.

In the first copy, the second punch in Konoko's punch-punch combo was messed up. Rather than doing that punch, she curled up and fell from the top of the screen. It was quite annoying, because I kept getting my arse kicked by thugs when I inadvertently used the move. The Haymaker and Sledgehammer Heel were still possible, though.

The second time I tried to copy the game, it was the male civilians' item-giving animation. They flipped onto their sides in mid-air and rotated a little with their legs sticking out at odd angles. It didn't cause me any problems, so I ended up sticking with that version of the GameDataFolder. It still makes me smile sometimes (:

Last edited by Fluffy (08/13/07 13:08)

#5 08/14/07 18:08

Lugas

How about when a badly injured striker makes death threats.

This once happened to me:
I run up to striker to give it running attack (the one introduced outside the Atmospheric Conversion Place), it tries to say "Now I strike". But I killed it before it finished...soooo...it was more like "Now I  bLUR!!!!! *dies*". Sounds more like vomiting to me.

#6 08/14/07 21:08

Tosh
Website

I think I was playing Titan Mode, I'm not sure, and was playing on the "TCTF Regional HQ (redux)" level. I ran outside to kill the Mercury Bow guys. There was one there and one a little further away who was turned around so I figure I could kill the close one fast before the other sees me and shoots but as I run the other guy turns around and sees me. So I lariat the one guy, and right as I'm between the two agents the other fires, just missing me and killing the agent as I'm still swinging around him. big_smile Killed the other one before he fired his second shot.

#7 08/15/07 03:08

geyser
Website

Hehe. Tosh makes a good point: the snipers aim at the middle of the body of a standing person.
So if you do a Lariat or equally "excentric" move, the snipers will miss (or hit the lariatted guy).

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 08/26/07 02:08

Loser

A few days ago I downloaded latest drivers for my graphic card. Thanks to it I am able now to play ONI in high resolution (1152 X 864 32 bit) without any graphic glitches or bugs. And due to the high resolution, I noticed one of the most funniest things in ONI. After all, it is made by Bungie ^_^.

It was in the Airport cargo hangars. As usual, I have lured and killed mad bomber. Then I decided to watch how his explosion will look like with my new high res (I didn't pay attention to previous mad bomber explosions, because they weren't alone-no time to observe).
When he exploded, I noticed that even tough a blast started, his body still lied there.
Within an additional second his body disappeared in a flash.
Then I noticed something weird. It swirled randomly and bounced off that machine on the left, so I came closer to look. LOL

And I have always thought that bloody foot texture and model (both in level0.dat) were relicts....obviously not. Poor mad bomber...

P.S.: for Geyser- but that dismembered foot is interesting example of particle system power. I have observed it several times. It is randomly rotating, bouncing off walls and overall behaves according to the "normal" physics (slightly bent for ONI purposes). Hmm. I have got an idea.... ^_^

Last edited by Loser (08/26/07 02:08)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#9 08/26/07 05:08

paradox-01

It is randomly rotating, bouncing off walls and overall behaves according to the "normal" physics

PS: Did you see how grenades jumps? smile

#10 08/26/07 07:08

geyser
Website

@ paradox: Nice pic. "Jumping grenades" come in handy for "grenade jumping".
For those who haven't seen it: http://zdlo.oni2.net/Movies/tricks/RocketJump.wmv

@ Loser: Nice "find". I spotted that foot over a year ago, while making OTA smile
I was investigating the IDs of dead chars before adding the exploding bomber.

Last edited by geyser (08/26/07 07:08)

#11 11/02/07 17:11

Orochi Konoko

I just found a bunch of weird glitches.

I was fighting Barbaras on the roof top level of TCTF, and I threw him off the roof. He didn't come back up, and I was able to leave the scene, and explore the TCTF headquarters. Also, everyone inside was dead. Even some of the people I had saved.

I was fighting one of the female strikers, and I threw her at a scientist on accident, and she like..gets stuck in the scientist's body while laying down, so he's walking around with a dead body through his stomach. Weird..

I was on the level where you go through the HQ, looking for information on Konoko's past, and I was fighting those two security guards you fight at the beginning, well, I disabled the one with the gun, then I go to fight the other one, and he dissappeared. I couldn't find him anywhere..It was weird.

I threw a Striker at a wall, and he got stuck in mid air. So I jumped up, and punched him, and he dies instantly.

#12 11/03/07 11:11

Ultimatum479

Orochi, everyone you saved ends up dead when you trigger the cutscene of Barabas snatching Shinatama. Then everyone you saved _after_ that point ends up dead when you trigger the cutscene of the helicopter taking Shinatama away.

As for the other ones, do you have any modded files? The last glitch is, I believe, an occasional consequence of the new .dat files.

Work in progress...

#13 11/03/07 13:11

Orochi Konoko

I have the PS2 version. I wasn't lucky enough to find the PC version. Which is why those glitches are crazy.

#14 11/08/07 10:11

Iritscen

I was very amused when a Tanker picked me up and started swinging me, which had the effect of flattening two other bad guys who were surrounding me.  He then let me fly, thus freeing me from the corner I had gotten trapped in.  It was like, I wish I had a team-mate to do that for me once in a while, because the damage I took was well worth it to get me out of that situation.

I was more impressed than amused when, in the last level before the fight with Muro, I confronted Griffin only to have his office descend through an elevator.  I turned on invincibility and jumped down after him.  I thought for sure it would break the game or kill me despite being invincible, but she just did a hard crouch-landing and stood up, and I had skipped to the end of the level where you catch up to Griffin and have to decide whether to kill him or not (well, disabling Shinatama's last defenses comes first).  The buggy part was that he was invisible.  I guess his model was supposed to advance through the stage ahead of you, but I beat him down there! tongue  Perhaps you all have done that at least once, but I thought it was a cool way to save a lot of time.

Also, when playing with the all-objects-breakable code, I quickly found that you are most likely to die from falling through the floor when a bad guy shoots it to pieces, as you are all no doubt quite aware of.  I was running across the floor of the Airport level, in the section with the actual plane at the end, and the guy up top with the energy rifle starting shooting DOWN at me -- and I instantly realize, if he misses me even once, my floor goes bye-bye.  So I ran like hell.  Each time he fired, I jumped, and the floor below me broke apart, but I landed on a square that was still intact.  I only kept this up for about three or four jumps before I couldn't make it to an unbroken square and I plunged to my death.  But it sure was fun.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#15 12/15/07 02:12

Orochi Konoko

I was playing and some funny and odd things happened.

1.I was playing through Level 9, I had made it to the area that is lighted red, and has several rampways leading up. I make it to the top most area, and suddenly a Black Ops SWAT falls from the ceiling, and lands on the floor below dead. I dunno where he came from, but that was weird.

2.I was at the Airport Hangars, and had just saved those three workers that come running. There were some weapons on the ground, in this case, two Van De Graafs. 2 more Strikers come running weapons in hand. The Workers grab the Van De Graafs, and blast the 2 Strikers, allowing me to kill them with ease. Looks like the civilians aren't as dumb as you think. Lol.

3.Once again in Level 9, I went to the top most floor. I saw a Security Guard fighting with a TCTF Troop. It was weird. The funny thing is, the Troop had a gun, and the Security Guard sweep kicked him, beat him up, took his gun, and walked off. And then I walked in, and backbreakered the Security Guard. It was amusing, right up to the backbreaker.

4.Level 9 still..I went to the bottomost area where the two snipers are outside. I went into the room on the far left where at Black Ops SWAT is waiting for you, I threw him and he landed halfway inside one of those computer terminals. He stood up, and was halfway stuck in it. And apparently couldn't see me. He just kept saying "Wait till I find you." It was a funny glitch.

Last edited by Orochi Konoko (12/15/07 02:12)

#16 12/16/07 06:12

LastmanSAC

Have you seen the striker who is on the TCTF HQ Redux level, or is that just my PS2 disk?

#17 12/17/07 17:12

geyser
Website

@ OK:
1) he probably came from the top floor and missed a step
2) yeah, happens sometimes
3) again, who were those two? was reservoirdogs off? wink
4) smile

@ LSAC: either a picture (photo/whatever) or a more detailed description...
There are no strikers in chapter 13 normally, so make an effort to show him.

#18 12/17/07 21:12

LastmanSAC

i'll take damn phot soon as i can.

Board footer