Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/11/07 07:03

Last_Hero

No CD?

Possibly the wrong forum but...

When browsing another forum geyser mentioned applying a no CD patch, which reminded me that my Oni has never needed the CD in to be used. I assumed this was normal, but evidently it is not.
Does anything have any idea why this might be?
Just out of curiosity.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#2 03/11/07 13:03

dez_zt

Re: No CD?

Maybe the fixed exe has something to do with this.

#3 03/11/07 15:03

geyser
Website

Indeed, all the patches to date are applied over non-encrypted, non-CD-checking versions.
I'm not quite sure what protections there are on the various releases out there, though.
My English/French/German versions from the Take Advantage CD have many (CD check + encryption + filename protection).
I'd be surprised if Last_Hero had stuck with an out-of-the-box version for all those years, deliberately avoiding Dev Mode and such smile
It's all about what he really means by "my Oni has never needed the CD in to be used". Never ever? Did you never patch the EXE?
It would be the first time I hear of an official version that doesn't check for the CD out-of-the-box. Dunno about other protections.

EDIT: That was for PC, see below for Mac.

Last edited by geyser (03/11/07 21:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 03/11/07 20:03

Mango

I bought Oni for mac legitimately and out of the box and have never been asked for a CD. Maybe it was because I didn't go through the proper install process?
I copied the game files from a folder on the disc. They are the ones that would be copied to your computer if you did go through the install. It seems that the installer was just a script for copying.

Did any Mac users here install with the installer?

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#5 03/11/07 21:03

geyser
Website

I meant PC: I know peanuts about the Mac versions.
OMNI's OS X port doesn't ask for the CD, that's for sure.
They probably assume all Mac folks are legal eagles smile

Err... Is Last_Hero on Mac? Don't think so...

Last edited by geyser (03/11/07 21:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 03/11/07 23:03

Tosh
Website

Mango wrote:

I bought Oni for mac legitimately and out of the box and have never been asked for a CD. Maybe it was because I didn't go through the proper install process?
I copied the game files from a folder on the disc. They are the ones that would be copied to your computer if you did go through the install. It seems that the installer was just a script for copying.

Did any Mac users here install with the installer?

Same for me but on PC, originally Windows 98, not sure if it was SE or not, been awhile.
Also my unpatched version worked fine without bugs on Windows Media Edition. And I think before that I ran it on XP Professional SP1.. don't quote me on that last one though.

Last edited by Tosh (03/11/07 23:03)

#7 03/12/07 04:03

geyser
Website

The so-called "XP crash" is actually hardware- and driver-dependent, and has little to do with XP as such.
If you GFX card is set up so as not to report too many GL extensions to Oni, there'll be no Blam at startup.

Tosh, I'm curious about the series/brand and publishing date of your Oni copy.
I just wonder at what point they began to add protections to Oni PC retail.
Encryption, filename protection, CD check. You've got none of that?
(encryption typicalli corresponds to a larger filesize: 1.8 rather than 1.5 megs)

Might be off topic, but has anyone tried putting Oni on Vista yet?
It'd be nice to know what new threats we're up against smile
And the sooner, the better.

#8 03/12/07 07:03

Last_Hero

I'm on a PC
When I originally got Oni and played on my rather crappy Win 95 it didn't need the fixed exe and I'm pretty sure it didn't need the CD.

I could get Vista from my friend (legitimatly) but I'd rather not install it as my laptop has long enough start up time as is with all the modifications, and my other computers wouldn't be able to run Vista.

Right, in my directory I have two executables Oni.exe and Oni_fixed.exe (from the XP patch)
Both run the game fine, with no need for CD (Using the Omega Drivers now for my Radaeon X700 Mobility card, which along with the ATI Tray Tools seems to fix the "Blam" error, since I don't actually need the patch)
My executable is 1.45 MB

I could do a clean install to test it out to make sure I haven't somehow replaced the original executable with the patched one.

Haven't actually been playing Oni for a while, so I don't actually have Dev mode.

Edit: Clean install. No CD confirmed. Game is rather jerky now for some reason, but loads and I can play it. Changing the resolutions gives an OpenGL error and crashes the game (not the "Blam" error).

Last edited by Last_Hero (03/12/07 09:03)

#9 03/12/07 11:03

Tosh
Website

geyser wrote:

Tosh, I'm curious about the series/brand and publishing date of your Oni copy.
I just wonder at what point they began to add protections to Oni PC retail.
Encryption, filename protection, CD check. You've got none of that?
(encryption typicalli corresponds to a larger filesize: 1.8 rather than 1.5 megs)

It was my friend's CD and I don't know if he has it anymore.. but the exe is 1,527,808 bytes (1.45 MB).

#10 03/12/07 14:03

geyser
Website

@ Tosh: it seems more than likely that your friend just backed up his Oni folder on a CD and lent you that.

@ Last_Hero: is the clean-installed executable the same as the one you've been running so far (size?)
I'm not sure if I should gather the engine EXEs and compare them.
But I'd like to know if the one listed as "No-CD fixed" on GCW (HERE, bottom of page) is close to your legal copy's EXE (maybe DL this and compare by size/content)
About the jerkiness: hope you didn't install the (outdated) OpenGL and DirectX stuff when prompted...

Last edited by geyser (03/12/07 14:03)

#11 03/12/07 15:03

Last_Hero

Nah, I'm fairly cautious about installing stuff, so I explicitly didn't install DirectX 7, WoW wouldn't run on that shit tongue
Jerkiness may be attributed to forcing Oni to run with maximum anti-ailising and anisotropic filtering.

Fixed: 1527808 bytes, last modified 30 January 2000, 18:24:46
Mine: 1527808 bytes, last modified 08 December 2000, 12:46:58

Is there some way to check the contents?

#12 03/12/07 16:03

geyser
Website

Is there some way to check the contents?

Get Total Commader. Now smile
Seriously, apart from TC, there's WinDiff & Clones...
(either built into XP or DLable separately)
If you have any trouble, either complain or mail me the thing.

Fixed: 1527808 bytes, last modified 30 January 2000, 18:24:46
Mine: 1527808 bytes, last modified 08 December 2000, 12:46:58

The dates are very interesting indeed, especially considering that the fixed one was uploaded on GCW on January 14, 2001, i.e. before the official release of Oni.

Last edited by geyser (03/12/07 16:03)

#13 03/12/07 16:03

Last_Hero

Doing a "Compare by Content.." garnered 954 differences.

#14 03/12/07 16:03

geyser
Website

OK, mail me the thing then smile
Address is on my "Website" link.

#15 03/12/07 16:03

Last_Hero

Assuming you mean the executable it is sent.

#16 03/12/07 22:03

Tosh
Website

His worked without a CD, too, geyser; by the way. And he didn't know anything about patches or there being an online community of Oni fans until I told him last year, so it was run on the original copy..
What I can do is see if he has the CD so he can grab it next time he's at home. Might be able to get company and etc. that way, assuming it's printed on the CD and not the box cause I highly doubt he has the box.

#17 04/12/07 16:04

ogp

I just intalled the Game for PC. If I run the game with CD it always says that this program needs the original Cd to run! Does anyone know what the fuck this is? I checked the CD: It has got all the codes on it and it seems it is the Original.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
(By the way: I can install the game every time I put the cd into my drive. No message that this folder/game already exists. Is this normal?)

#18 04/12/07 17:04

Tosh
Website

If it's a burned CD, the CD check is that it looks at the CD title, which has to be the title of the original. Can't remember what that is right now..
Dunno about the second part.

Also, if you used the patched version on the wiki, it won't have a CD check.

#19 04/13/07 00:04

ogp

All right. Thanks. I'll check this later this day.

#20 04/13/07 08:04

m2

Btw, the so called "prepatched" or "cracked" exe (no cd check) is either prepatched nor cracked. That's the original English Oni.exe file. Unbelievable, but true. They shipped the English Oni pc game without a cd check.

(Source: http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php? … #post_6725)

#21 04/13/07 10:04

geyser
Website

Thanks m2! I missed that particular post by ssg.

ssg wrote:

Btw, the so called "prepatched" or "cracked" exe (no cd check) is either prepatched nor cracked. That's the original English Oni.exe file. Unbelievable, but true. They shipped the English Oni pc game without a cd check.

Recently (on this thread and in private) I've checked the so-called "NO-CD" version against versions out-of-the-box executables supplied by a few people.
And came to the same conclusion. The nice thing is that the "NO-CD" executable appeared on GameCopyWorld several days before Oni was released smile

Last edited by geyser (04/13/07 10:04)

Board footer