Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/18/08 15:12

grabacider

Oni_Slow_Speed

Hi, New Here.
Just installed an Oni version. Very choppy. I don't think it employs more than 1 fps.

Anyone who can suggest anything?

#2 12/21/08 08:12

A8D

Re: Oni_Slow_Speed

Hi,

Until someone who knows the technical side of Oni better than me reads this, could you give more details about what hardware and what OS you are using ? Is it the original version of Oni or the Anniversary Edition ? Without that it'll be difficult to help.

Where there's a will for Oni II, there's a way !

#3 12/21/08 14:12

ONIrules

Are your video cards up to date? If not, you may need a new video card to play Oni.

#4 12/21/08 15:12

Iritscen

Video card, or video driver?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 12/21/08 16:12

Gumby

Should read:

"Is your video driver up to date? If not, you may need a new video card to play Oni."

But that should be a last resort. Even a crap card can usually play Oni. I run it on my laptop with integrated video and not even a gig of RAM. Something tells me there is something else going on here.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 12/21/08 16:12

A8D

Since Oni is seven years old, I doubt that his graphics card is not powerful enough.

By the way I have a question : I find that the game is not very fluid, I don't think it's that I am not having enough fps, but when I move or turn and look at the setting in the distance or walls, they seem to be displayed by fits and starts. Is there a way to see how many fps there are in-game ?

I've just tried forcing the game to be rendered with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and it looks great ! Seems to have no impact on performance for me.

#7 12/21/08 17:12

Iritscen

If the game is moving smoothly from frame to frame, then, as you say, it's not the frame rate that's lacking.  Maybe you're referring to the raycasting, although it's usually not very noticeable.  Oni determines what polys to paint onscreen by casting rays (it's an unconventional approach that was supposed to work better with levels with lots of open space in them).  Sometimes the rays miss a wall or door in the distance, and it appears as a green space for a moment before the rays catch it and it gets filled in.  It's pretty fleeting, usually, just at the corner of one's eye.  If your problem is more noticeable, maybe you can record some video of it so we can see what you mean.

#8 12/21/08 17:12

Gumby

Should read:

"Is your video driver up to date? If not, you may need a new video card to play Oni."

But that should be a last resort. Even a crap card can usually play Oni. I run it on my laptop with integrated video and not even a gig of RAM. Something tells me there is something else going on here.

#9 12/21/08 18:12

Iritscen

Uhhhhh... what happened there, Gumby? o.O

#10 12/21/08 18:12

s10k
Website

card model?

#11 12/21/08 19:12

Gumby

Control+shift+Y displays fps. But you are better off intalling the fraps demo and looking at its fps ticker.

#12 12/21/08 23:12

RossyMiles
Website

Do you use Vista? If so, you could try some of the fixes in these threads:

http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=767
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=746

#13 12/23/08 14:12

A8D

Card model is nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, driver version 178.24, and I don't use Vista. I've just checked with FRAPS and it seems to be 59-60 all the time, but with the in-game fps display it goes a little lower sometimes (it's difficult to read because it's so small and changes quickly). @Iritscen : I don't think it's what you described, and it's more noticeable.

It's funny because on the old G4 Mac (I think the graphics card was an ATi RAGE 128 Orion with 16 MB of VRAM) it seemed almost smoother at close range in some particular places, but the game was not as beautiful lol.

I'll make a video later, maybe it will be noticeable on it.

#14 12/26/08 11:12

A8D

It's me again.

I didn't make a video before because I installed openSUSE 11.1 and couldn't figure how to configure GRUB to properly boot on Windows. smile

That's the first time I tried to make a video and after 1:18 minute it already weighed 559 MB in half-size... and I watched it but on the video it seems fluid.

#15 12/26/08 13:12

Gumby

That sounds like you are getting some sort of lag ingame. The video might not record that. Hm. How much RAM does your computer have and what is its processor speed? Try closing programs in the background.

#16 12/26/08 16:12

A8D

Yeah it's exactly that, some kind of lag... but no need to rack your brains finding a solution because the game is still perfectly playable and I already tried quitting all possible programs including the antivirus. I also updated graphics driver to the latest WHQL version and tried disabling EIST. My comp has got 4 GB RAM and an intel Core2 Q6600 processor (no overclock). And the hard disks are unfragmented. Maybe it's just the game that is like that, although I think there must be some problem...

#17 12/26/08 17:12

Iritscen

Just so I'm clear on a few things:

1. The "lag" is a delay between pressing a key and seeing Oni respond?  Because that's definitely not normal.  Is the mouse lagging as well?
2. You said you're not running Vista... so, XP, then?  SP3?
3. You experience the lag with or without Daodan loaded, right? (Sorry, Gumby!)

#18 12/26/08 19:12

A8D

Iritscen wrote:

Just so I'm clear on a few things:

1. The "lag" is a delay between pressing a key and seeing Oni respond?  Because that's definitely not normal.  Is the mouse lagging as well?
2. You said you're not running Vista... so, XP, then?  SP3?
3. You experience the lag with or without Daodan loaded, right? (Sorry, Gumby!)

1. No no, sorry for the confusion. It's not input lag. It's when I move through the levels : the general settings, walls, objects are not rendered smoothly. However, character animation and fights are perfectly fluid.

2. Yes, XP Pro, SP3.

3. Do you mean the in-game purple effect around your body ? Or the Daodan DLL patch ? It happens all the time, in Original and AE Oni, and lowering quality doesn't improve. But it's more noticeable on some levels, like the TCTF regional HQ.

#19 12/26/08 19:12

Gumby

He means the Daodan DLL.
Your problem is a mystery to me. sad Let me look through a couple of the engine settings and see if we can do anything to help.

#20 12/27/08 13:12

A8D

Mmmh, I'll try to reinstall Oni, because if I remember well I installed the Daodan DLL right at the beginning.

I've tried every possible option in the nvdia settings panel, it changed nothing.

#21 12/27/08 14:12

Iritscen

Well, you don't have to re-install Oni if all you want to do is remove Daodan, you can just move the Daodan DLL out of the Oni folder.

#22 12/27/08 14:12

A8D

Yes I still had the older binkw32.dll, but the Oni.exe that was with it is the same size (1.45 MB) than the one I had in Oni folder and I don't know if they are the same or not. At any rate, it didn't solve my problem.

Last edited by A8D (12/27/08 14:12)

#23 12/27/08 15:12

Iritscen

I'm just confused because I thought at first the "lag" you described was something visual, and then you said it couldn't be recorded, so I thought maybe I misunderstood and it was a lag in the controls.  But if it *is* something visual, I guess I still don't understand the nature of the problem.  It doesn't look like polygons filling in after not being painted for a moment?

#24 12/27/08 17:12

A8D

I made a short video (had to do it in very low quality otherwise I would never be able to upload it because of my bad connexion...). It's less noticeable than in-game but try watching it in full-screen.

Download video (DivX format)

#25 12/28/08 07:12

s10k
Website

If you are runnning with a dual core or superior maybe this may help:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=766

Board footer