Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/22/08 21:05

Gumby

An Oni FAQ!

Hopefully to be someday completed and submitted to GameFAQs. I will need help with it, so you guys are free to write parts of it to include. Also, if I say something completely stupid, tell me, k?

...and I am thinking of removing section III, any thoughts?

-------------

Oni Combat FAQ by Gumbitha

Table of Contents:

I: Intoduction
    1. What is Oni?
    2. Controls
    3. What is this 7th Anniversary thing?
II: Moves
    1. Basic Attacks
    2. Combos and You
    3. Throws
    4. Crouch Moves
    5. Escape Moves
    6. Weapons
III: Fighting Styles
    1. The types
        a. Dodging (Fast)
        b. Blocking (Slow)
IV: Enemies
    1. A basic guide to enemies
    2. Strikers
    3. Thugs
    4. Tankers
    5. Furies
    6. Ninja
    7. Other
    8. Weapons
V: Tips
    1. General
    2. Single Enemy
    3. Multiple Enemies
VI: Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------

I. Introduction

*COMING SOON*

In each section there will be a short intro to that type of attack, and then a listing of all the attacks, with a short description of how and when to use the attack.

1. Basic Attacks

Pretty much, you Left-Click to punch, and Right-Click to kick, right?

Neither attack has much use by itself. You can use a single punch to stagger an enemy in preperation for a stronger attack.

*Single attacks and running attacks go here, coming soon*

2. Combos and You!

Combos are done by doing several attacks in a row, with a bit of rhythm. The easiest by far is a simple one-two punch, where you click attack twice, and Konoko attacks with her right fist, and then her left.

Sledgehammer Heel
-Punch,Punch,Kick

The Sledgehammer Heel can take a bit of work to get right, but is pretty easy if you click in a rhythm. While Konoko is in the middle of her second punch, you should hit the kick button. Just click them all with the same space (just like what her attacks look like) and it should work. I don't use this combo as much as I used to. In easy mode, the enemies don't block\dodge this as well as in hard mode. It usually only works for me if I get lucky. The Sledgehammer Heel _can_ be used to hit enemies on the ground, but most enemies will get up too quickly for this tactic.

Triple Hit Haymaker
-Punch,Punch,+Punch

This one requires almost no timing to do. Even if you rapidly click Punch over and over again, you will still do this. Ease of use aside, it is a great combo to use when you are close to an enemy and have an opening.

Spinning Sidekick
-Kick,Kick,Kick

Pretty much the same as the Haymaker. I don't really have any good tactics for this one. You have a reasonable chance of hitting with this combo, but it can lead to kick spamming, which means you are niether blocking nor dodging, and thus taking damage, which is bad.

Crescent Moon Kick
-Kick,Kick,[Forward+Kick]

The Crescent Moon Kick is like the Spinning Sidekick's older sister. More complicated, more deadly, and beautiful to boot. Honestly, this one is hard to use. It helps to hit the forward button at the same time you kick though. Execute each kick just as Konoko's foot is about to hit the ground. Use [carousel] if you are having issues with it. Tactically, this is a good attack, but is a bit slow to use. Some enemies will attack you mid-combo and ruin it. However, I have never seen the third part get blocked. One possiblility is that it is unblockable. The other is that the AI sees a pause in your attack and decides to attack while your guard is "down", leading to Konoko's foot getting jammed in the face of an enemy who didin't attack soon enough.

III: Fighting Styles

1. The types

From what I can tell, there are two ways of fighting the various enemies the Syndicate throws at you. Let's call them Dodging and Blocking.

a. Dodging (Fast)

Fast style wins by dashing around and dodging attacks. Running throws can be used to quickly deal damage and get out. Also used are slides and running kicks. Wait for the enemy to open himself up and attack. I personally like to throw in a Twister Kick here and there. This style of fighting is best used in large open areas.

Advantages:
        -Works well against slow enemies
        -Works well against large groups
        -Is good if you are impatient (like me)
        -Good if there are guns around
        -Can confuse the AI a bit
    Disadvantages:
        -Many of the higher level (red) enemies are smart about blocking your attacks, and are hard to take down this way
        -It can sometimes be tough to use this against faster enemies
        -Does not work well in cramped quarters
        -You aren't blocking attacks, so if you get too close without attacking you can get a lot of damage done to you

2: Blocking (Slow)

Slow style relies on blocking attacks and using combos. Simply focus your view on the enemy and don't attack\move. You should block your enemy's attack. After you have successfully blocked the attack, make an attack of your own. Alternatively, if the enemy starts a combo and you feel you have enough time to do so, roll\slide around him and beat the crap out of him. Backbreakers are easy to pull off this way. Use combos wisely! Also, I have found that you can sometimes throw an enemy while he is in the middle of a combo, but take care, the results can be disasterous if you mess up.

Advantages:
        -Works well in tight quarters
        -You can deal a lot of damage using a combo
        -Works well against single enemies
        -Using blocks is good for not taking damage
    Disadvantages:
        -Does not work well with loaded guns around!
        -Not so good when fighting a large group
        -It is easy to get surrounded by enemies and pummeled

In conclusion, you should probably use a mixture of these styles, depending on the situation. For example, if you are fighting a group of strikers with Black Adders, don't sit there and try and block. Use dodge! Simlilarly, if you are up against a single red striker, it will probably be more productive to block his attacks. Even with a single enemy, you may start off by dodging his attacks, and then get in close to finish him.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#2 05/23/08 00:05

Raptor

Re: An Oni FAQ!

nice FAQ. Oni newbies should find this useful

#3 05/23/08 09:05

Iritscen

Just checking: you have looked over what's already on GameFAQs for Oni, right?  There are general FAQ/walkthroughs as well as a "Battling FAQ" and a "Combat FAQ", and it's good to make sure that you have new material to bring to the table.  I glanced over them, and it does seem that there is not much lengthy discussion about combat tactics in any FAQ.  They've got their movelists and brief discussions for each move (not to say that you can't do that too), but there is little discussion about blocking vs. dodging, as in your FAQ.

As long as you are going forward with the FAQ, I can make a few suggestions:
- What are you going to talk about in the Anniversary Edition section?  It's generally not advisable (imho) to discuss mods to a game in the FAQ for the original game.  It is true that some of the changes made to the Edition change certain tactics (the triple kick is now stronger than the easy-to-spam triple punch, for instance, and the Backbreaker is not quite as deadly).  But also keep in mind that the Edition hasn't come out yet.  We've been playing betas of it.  The final version may change yet more things/unchange some things.

- Can you plug the community in any way, as a source of help?  And the wiki, as a source of detailed info? :-)

- See my notes on the Crescent Moon Kick in the wiki for some amplification (the move has its own page under that name).

- Your tactics are well-written, I can find little/nothing to correct.  Don't hesitate to rip off the Gameplay page on the wiki for more tips, that writing is under the GNU.

- You will apply spellchecker before posting a final version anywhere, right? ;-)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 05/23/08 17:05

Gumby

Oops Double Post

Last edited by Gumby (05/23/08 18:05)

#5 05/23/08 17:05

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

Just checking: you have looked over what's already on GameFAQs for Oni, right?  There are general FAQ/walkthroughs as well as a "Battling FAQ" and a "Combat FAQ", and it's good to make sure that you have new material to bring to the table.  I glanced over them, and it does seem that there is not much lengthy discussion about combat tactics in any FAQ.  They've got their movelists and brief discussions for each move (not to say that you can't do that too), but there is little discussion about blocking vs. dodging, as in your FAQ.

As long as you are going forward with the FAQ, I can make a few suggestions:
- What are you going to talk about in the Anniversary Edition section?  It's generally not advisable (imho) to discuss mods to a game in the FAQ for the original game.  It is true that some of the changes made to the Edition change certain tactics (the triple kick is now stronger than the easy-to-spam triple punch, for instance, and the Backbreaker is not quite as deadly).  But also keep in mind that the Edition hasn't come out yet.  We've been playing betas of it.  The final version may change yet more things/unchange some things.

- Can you plug the community in any way, as a source of help?  And the wiki, as a source of detailed info? :-)

- See my notes on the Crescent Moon Kick in the wiki for some amplification (the move has its own page under that name).

- Your tactics are well-written, I can find little/nothing to correct.  Don't hesitate to rip off the Gameplay page on the wiki for more tips, that writing is under the GNU.

- You will apply spellchecker before posting a final version anywhere, right? ;-)

Lets see...

-I will mention it as a way to unlock all the moves etc. When AE does come out, I may make a list of changes at the bottom of the FAQ or something. We will have to see what GameFAQs lets me do...

-GameFAQs says

We don't have any FAQs posted for this game yet.

We don't have any cheats posted for this game yet.

-I am definately plugging the community. Especially since you guys are going to help me with it....right?!

-Thanks. If only I could actually follow them. big_smile

Remember, if you guys have ANY tips, feel free to give them.

-Yes, I will. Did you find a typo I need to fix?

Last edited by Gumby (05/23/08 18:05)

#6 05/23/08 17:05

EdT
Website

#7 05/23/08 18:05

Gumby

WTF did GameFAQs do?! They are hiding Oni from us!

Anyways, both of those FAQs are poorly written tongue

#8 05/24/08 07:05

love_Oni

I think we should also add a section called 'secret', which tells about hidden weapons, powerups or some interesting places in any levels.

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#9 05/24/08 07:05

s10k
Website

love_Oni wrote:

I think we should also add a section called 'secret', which tells about hidden weapons, powerups or some interesting places in any levels.

Yup, that is very interesting.

#10 05/24/08 08:05

love_Oni

Gumby wrote:

Hopefully to be someday completed and submitted to GameFAQs. I will need help with it, so you guys are free to write parts of it to include.

Gumby wrote:

Remember, if you guys have ANY tips, feel free to give them.

So, we can post replies here to make an Oni FAQ, right?

#11 05/24/08 10:05

Tyr
Website

Script_10k wrote:
love_Oni wrote:

Yup, that is very interesting.

Possibly with links to all our Youtube movies reflecting on the secrets (and the new features of the AE), e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4T1Qpu-8U .

And, can pictures be added to the faq? As I haven't seen a FAQ with pictures yet, I'm not sure.

#12 05/24/08 13:05

Gumby

Well...if we submitted it to gamefaqs, no pictures. But whatever version is posted to the Wiki could have it.

A secret section is iffy. It is a combat FAQ so I'm not sure. It all depends if you can make it relavant.

A few important links could be added.

And yes, if you have useful information post it!

#13 05/26/08 02:05

love_Oni

It's not a complete FAQ but I hope I can be of help to you.
I: Introduction
(I think there are many same things in the wiki)

1. What is Oni?
You can see it here: http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni

2. Controls
This is basically. I found it in Konoko's datapad:
Movement...................................W,A,S,D
Dash...........................................W+W then hold
Look............................................Mouse
Punch..........................................Left Mouse or F
Kick............................................Right Mouse or C
Crouch........................................Shift
Jump...........................................Space
Action (consoles, doors, talk).........Ctrl
Pick items....................................Q
Drop weapon................................E
Reload.........................................R
Use hypo.....................................Tab
Walk...........................................Caps Lock
Pause/Help...................................F1
If you want to change the control key, open the file 'keyconfig.txt' in 'Oni' folder, and type like this:
    bind [key] to [action]

3. What is this 7th Anniversary thing?
See it here: http://wiki.oni2.net/7th_Anniversary_Edition

1. Basic Attacks
-Punch and kick, that's easy smile

-Single attacks
Press directional key and 'punch/kick' key at the same time to perform directional attacks. Most of these attacks can knock down enemies in one hit (except kick_forward in 2 hits). These attacks are the quickly way to hit your enemies in the left, right and backward because you don't need to move your mouse and perform a normal attack (that'll be slow). You just need to perform directional attacks while you're standing still, so use it frequently.

-Running Attacks
Hold directional key and press 'punch/kick' to perform running attack. Most of these attacks can knock down enemies in one hit (except running_punch_left/right/backward).

-Jumping Attacks
Press 'punch/kick' key while jumping to perform 'jumping attack'. These attacks can hit your enemies in the air. If your enemies are standing on the ground, jumping attacks would be the 'hard-to-block-moves' with them.
The special move of Jumping Attacks is Jump-flip. To Jump-flip, press CROUCH key while jumping. Jump-flip (and jumping kick) can hit enemies even they're lying on the ground. It also allows you to perform the highest jump, so use it frequently.

2. Combos and You
As Gumby has said in the previous post, I have some another combos (which are not very perfectly smile)
-punch, punch_low (punch + crouch at the same time)
-punch, crouch_punch, crouch_punch_forward, crouch_kick.
-punch, kick_low (kick + crouch at the same time), kick_forward, punch_forward.
-punch, kick_low, punch, punch, punch
-punch, kick, kick, kick_forward
-punch, throw_punch(or kick)_forward
-punch, punch, throw_kick_forward
-punch, punch, twister kick smile

(correct me if any wrong)

Last edited by love_Oni (05/26/08 02:05)

#14 05/26/08 10:05

Gumby

Aha. Thank you.
Everything except combos can go in there almost completely the same (I'm gonna add a bit mroe explanation\tactics for basic moves.

I need to have a section for Unoffical Combos. Though all of yours seem to be using a single punch as a staggering move. Hmm. I should add that to the basic section.

#15 06/02/08 09:06

love_Oni

How about 'get-up-moves' section? Should we add it to the FAQ? (and 'disarm-moves' section, too)

Last edited by love_Oni (06/02/08 09:06)

#16 06/02/08 17:06

Gumby

disarms go in the throws section
get up moves are...hmm...maybe a new section. This is kind of on pause until after graduation (the 14th)

#17 06/03/08 22:06

love_Oni

And how about 'special moves' and 'moves with rifle'? Should they be added in a new section?

I'll continue the FAQ

3. Throw
To throw, just stand in front of the enemy, and press 'forward' key + 'punch'/or 'kick'. It looks like simple, but there are many kinds of throwing. I'll divide them into 2 kind: 'standing still' throw and 'running' throw.
a) Standing still throw:
   + 'Front' throw: To make a front throw, stand in front of the enemy's face, press 'forward' key + 'punch'/or 'kick'. If you press 'forward' key + 'punch', you'll throw your enemy ahead. If you press 'fw' key + 'kick', you'll throw your enemy rearward. Both those throw inflict the same damage to your enemy (20 damage). The enemy whom you threw also make a further damage to other enemies nearby (10 damage). Besides, throw also helps you to block from any physic damage, so use it frequently when you're surrounded.
  + 'Back' throw: It's just not the 'throw' because you don't throw your enemy to anywhere. You just need to do the same thing as you did to make a 'front' throw: stand behind your enemy and press 'forward' key + punch/kick. 'Back' throw are more powerful than 'front' throw. The 'backward_kick_ throw' is Konoko's most powerful move. It inflicts 70 damage to your enemy even the 'back_punch_throw' only does 30 damage but it's not easy to use unless you bring a VDG for yourself wink
  b) Running throw
-Run towards to your enemy and press punch/kick to perform running throw. The 'running_kick_throw' throws your enemy forward and it does 10 damage (plus 10 extra damage), but it can only be used when you're running toward to the enemy's face. The 'running_punch_throw' (also called 'Running Lariat') does 20 damage (plus 10 extra damage) and it can be used from any angles. If you make a 'running_punch_throw' to the enemy who running away from you, you won't make a 'Running Lariat' but a tackle, which dealt less damage than the Lariat (10 damage and no extra damage)
  * As I mentioned in the lines above, there isn't 'running_back_kick_throw' for Konoko when you're running to the behind of your enemy, right? But notice that Furies can make a 'running_back_kick_throw' to other opponent.
(I'll continue it later)

**Do you think we should have a little section to show other characters' moves? I know many of us also played other characters, so I think it would be interesting to make a section like that.

#18 06/03/08 22:06

Gumby

1. Don't use non running throws when you are surrounded. You will end up throwing one enemy and having the ones you don't hit pound you when the throw ends

2. I'm going to use actual names for moves...instead of technical names like running_back_throw. Running_kick_throw becomes Tackle, etc.

3. To keep the guide consistent and easy to read I'm going to put damages (if there is a complete list of them) in the "header" sort of area for each move

4. Once Konoko is finished then we can think of other characters to do. They require entirely different strategies in many cases.

5. I'll try to put in as much of your stuff in as I can, but don't be disappointed if some of it is changed

6. Watch your grammar tongue

#19 06/04/08 01:06

love_Oni

Watch your grammar tongue

Because I don't have good mark in English at my school, there must be a lot of incorrect grammar in my last post roll

To keep the guide consistent and easy to read I'm going to put damages (if there is a complete list of them) in the "header" sort of area for each move

Yes, there is a link like that http://zdlo.oni2.net/Items/Table_of_damage_dealt.htm
I used the information in that link

#20 06/04/08 20:06

Gumby

There is a bit. Not unreadable though.
And thanks for that link. It looks useful.

#21 06/20/08 21:06

love_Oni

See this page: http://oni.mypage.sk/moves.htm
I think it will help you with the FAQ.

#22 06/20/08 21:06

Gumby

Thanks. I'm sidetracked with another project right now, unfortunately. big_smile

Board footer