Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/08/08 18:03

Zyrus

Why you can't play ONI online ?

well , I somewhere readed that is a big probelm that prevent players to play ONI in NET with other players .

Maybe someone can say easely what was that ?

#2 03/08/08 18:03

geyser
Website

Re: Why you can't play ONI online ?

Ever heard about lag? It's bad enough for FPS games, but ill-synced melee is a lot more annoying than projectiles going wild.
This, however, doesn't explain why they canceled multiplayer altogether. LAN gaming was all the rage in France back then...
Then again, games like State of Emergency support multiplayer, and they have a lot of melee action to sync... Dunno, really.

Last edited by geyser (03/08/08 18:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 03/09/08 07:03

Zyrus

geyser ,lol ,  who didn't heard about lag  ? however I doubt that it is aproblem . there isn't any lag when you play on LAN

#4 03/09/08 08:03

geyser
Website

The issue was precisely the lag you get when you play on anything slower than LAN...
It's still an issue nowadays. E.g., Lugaru 2 multiplayer will probably work only on LAN.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 03/10/08 05:03

Zyrus

so was you able to play ONI on LAN normaly then ?

#6 03/10/08 09:03

Iritscen

The Bungie West office *was* playing Oni on their LAN, annoyingly enough.  They mentioned something called Oni Soccer.  I'm not sure they ever actually claimed to have melee working, though.  But I always thought they could have done at least that much, given the time, even if Net play was impossible at that time.  Multiplayer may very well have been a victim of the deadline they were held to.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 03/10/08 09:03

geyser
Website

Multiplayer was fully functional as far as I can tell, melee and all.
EdT has seen the LAN game live and could probably tell us more.

#8 03/10/08 11:03

Iritscen

geyser wrote:

Multiplayer was fully functional as far as I can tell, melee and all.

You very well might be right about that, I was just blanking on the interviews I've read and what they said about melee over LAN.  If true, it would make multiplayer's omission from the finished product all the more painful.  And Zyrus, in case you're a master programmer, there was a project that was going to hack multiplayer into Oni.  It stalled partway through, but there was still room for progress.  It's beyond my ken, personally, but if someone is familiar with networking, memory hacking, etc., the project could be revived.

#9 03/10/08 12:03

geyser
Website

"the project could be revived" Not that one, no. That one is best left to R.I.P.
The actual room for progress has to do with the recent *cough* disassembly.
big_smile

Last edited by geyser (03/10/08 12:03)

#10 03/10/08 13:03

Iritscen

Hmm, you are obviously keeping something close to your vest....

#11 03/10/08 13:03

geyser
Website

Something ominously illegal, obviously. And not quite close to my vest, really.
It's just that it's not going anywhere right now so there's no point in bragging.

Board footer