Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/05/08 20:02

Zyrus

What was the major reason that prevent BUNGIE from making ONI 2 ?

Well , probalbly everyone here knows that so I just ask you , what stoped bungie from maing ONI sequel ? This game is really amazing and I still didn't hear games like ONI made ( yeah ,maybe there are few very simmilar now but it just not enough...) Also I heard that there was a poject on ONI 2 but it was closed . Why ? because the main team disperse ?

#2 02/05/08 20:02

EdT
Website

Re: What was the major reason that prevent BUNGIE from making ONI 2 ?

When Bungie was bought by Microsoft, the IP rights to Oni were sold to Take2. So its Take2's fault that Oni2 was not made.

#3 02/05/08 22:02

gorilla325

change question a bit...can bungie do a spirited sequel to Oni, like bioshock was to system shock2?  but of course...it also depends on market shares....looks like very few people would play this game...only a few hardcore.

#4 02/06/08 01:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Zyrus wrote:

Well , probalbly everyone here knows that so I just ask you , what stoped bungie from maing ONI sequel ? This game is really amazing and I still didn't hear games like ONI made ( yeah ,maybe there are few very simmilar now but it just not enough...) Also I heard that there was a poject on ONI 2 but it was closed . Why ? because the main team disperse ?

Bungie doesn't own Oni, and a lot of the Oni team went to work on  the Halo series or left Bungie completely.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#5 02/06/08 07:02

Zyrus

gorilla325 wrote:

looks like very few people would play this game...only a few hardcore.

Well, yeah ,maybe there aren't left many ONI fans but if it would come like  a hit again there would more players ,don't you think ?

well ,yeah ,it's a shame that there won't be a sequel after all... to many time had pass ....

Huh ,but I didn't hear that bungie was sold to Microsoft afte all ...

Anyway ,why did they sold   rights to ONI to TAKE 2 ? because of money ?

Last edited by Zyrus (02/06/08 07:02)

#6 02/06/08 11:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Before Microsoft acquired Bungie, Take 2 acquired a 19.9% ownership in Bungie. When the Microsoft buyout happened, they gave the Oni and Myth licence to Take 2, as a way to make sure the deal would go through.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/081/081051p1.html

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#7 02/06/08 11:02

Iritscen

It was interesting to read the GameInformer interview with the current head of Bungie.  This was right after Bungie broke away from Microsoft recently.  They talked about new IP, maybe a sequel to Marathon... but no mention of Oni (or Myth, for that matter).  Not even a question as to whether they would like to reacquire the properties.  I would think the money would be worth more than the IPs to Take-Two at this point.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 02/06/08 12:02

EdT
Website

From this thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=224

4Players: Speaking of strong franchises: is perhaps a revitalization of Oni on the horizon?

Harold Ryan: (laugh) Oni doesn't belong to the projects that we're looking at carefully at the moment. But one should never say never and we would be delighted to work with those individuals who back then made Oni possible.

Last edited by EdT (02/06/08 12:02)

#9 02/06/08 12:02

Iritscen

There's no smiley on this forum for crying.  There should be.  I need to express myself.

#10 02/06/08 14:02

geyser
Website

As far as I can tell, Bungie have been missing a very real opportunity to buy Oni back in the past few months.
Either I am confused about the opportunity being real, or Bungie don't really care much about Oni any longer.
Oh well. I believe the Edition can generate some renewed hype for Oni by next summer, and then we'll see...

@ Harry (since you're watching this): You've missed a few threads when creating the Edition subforum.
I think "Mac programming" should go there, as well as "Improving Oni's TXMPs"... at least those two.

Last edited by geyser (02/06/08 14:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#11 02/06/08 14:02

Iritscen

I think the problem is that they actually made a new studio, and let those guys work on Oni, and no one who's at Bungie now (like this Ryan dude from M$) had anything to do with it.

(Agrees with geyser on thread moves.  Didn't want to admit it, but I was feeling left out.)

#12 02/06/08 16:02

geyser
Website

Well, surely you don't need to have worked at Bungie West to recognize Oni's coolness. You "just" have to approach the legacy with an open and creative mind... smile
Apparently they think too much in terms of Oni's own sales and reviews: right in the wake of Oni's hype, Take 2 may have been interested in rushing out a sequel...
But after all those years, Oni has been labeled as a failure of a game, so of course a game developer would have to be a little crazy to pick up that kind of challenge.
The point is, IMO, that Bungie West (and old school Bungie) had that little craze and created truly extraordinary games. Today's Bungie is (sigh) an ordinary studio.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#13 02/06/08 22:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

geyser wrote:

@ Harry (since you're watching this): You've missed a few threads when creating the Edition subforum.
I think "Mac programming" should go there, as well as "Improving Oni's TXMPs"... at least those two.

I moved the ones EdT told me were to be moved there. wink

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#14 02/07/08 08:02

geyser
Website

And since we've started spamming this thread with messages to Harry:
Harry, can you tell us what the blam is up with OC? Requiescat In Pace?
Are you OK with us retrieving the old content from a mirrored backup?
Also, why the blam are posts moving randomly throughout the forum?
Is something or someone (like, me?) corrupting the database again?

Last edited by geyser (02/07/08 08:02)

#15 02/10/08 02:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

geyser wrote:

Harry, can you tell us what the blam is up with OC? Requiescat In Pace?

Instead of being a complete lamer and having some unfinished site up, I've decided to make the url redirect to the forum for now.

geyser wrote:

Are you OK with us retrieving the old content from a mirrored backup?

Let me know what you need and I can pass it along. I'm putting together a zip for Iritscen that includes all the fan art Oni Central has.

geyser wrote:

Also, why the blam are posts moving randomly throughout the forum?
Is something or someone (like, me?) corrupting the database again?

They are? I know threads are being moved, but posts?

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#16 02/11/08 10:02

Iritscen

Yes, I have the .zip (thanks Harry) and will be incorporating it into the wiki's Image Gallery this week.

#17 02/11/08 12:02

geyser
Website

An example of a post that has randomly moved is this (point 1 of the post):
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 5096#p5096
I'm witness to Iritscen's observation, more or less. Something's wrong.

Also, weird things have been happening to attachments. They disappear.

#18 02/11/08 13:02

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Sigh... well PunBB's new version is in beta at the moment, so I'm hoping to upgrade that soon. I also have to bug the server admin to perhaps update MySQL as well.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

Board footer