Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/20/16 11:08

killerbladeaex

Playbacks reversed

In flatline alpha why are the playbacks reversed they walk to an opposite direction when a cutscene with a playback occurs if i'm hosting  , and how to fix that for example air port assault 1  or even the ending cutscene of the game where griffin comes in helicopter

Last edited by killerbladeaex (08/20/16 11:08)

#2 08/20/16 12:08

Iritscen

Re: Playbacks reversed

Whoa, I've never heard of that.  I'd have to see a recording to know exactly what you mean.  Though I should point out here that you are not supposed to be playing Flatline with Oni's scripting in place.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/20/16 12:08

killerbladeaex

I know im not supposed to , but exactly what happens that makes the characters unable to fire with their weapons and look to an opposite direction when a playback happens why can't we fix this problem ,  HERE big_smile 

youtube.com/watch?v=W40-v6ht5XA

Last edited by killerbladeaex (08/20/16 13:08)

#4 08/20/16 14:08

Iritscen

Wow, interesting.  I noticed that the AIs are listed as players at the top.  It seems that Flatline is sending positions/input for them when films play, and somehow it must be sending the data with a reversed starting angle or something.

However, Flatline is no longer under development since Gumby is not active in the community, so I don't see this getting fixed.  Is there a reason you are playing with scripts on?

#5 08/20/16 14:08

killerbladeaex

thanks

Last edited by killerbladeaex (12/23/16 12:12)

#6 08/20/16 16:08

Iritscen

There are all sorts of strange things that can happen when a program is not intended to be used a certain way ;-)  It's not hard to imagine that Gumby is not transmitting the initial standing angle for an AI, or something like that, since he assumed that scripts would be disabled for the level.  He did provide an "addbot" command for playing with bots, which probably handles AIs correctly because it expects them to be created.

As far as developing it on our own, nobody with coding ability ever stepped up to take over the project from Gumby.  I felt that certain aspects of the networking should be done differently, so I started my own multiplayer project, Zukai, which is Mac-only until it's more refined.  Right now it's not more advanced than Flatline, but I plan to port it to Windows once it is.

#7 08/20/16 16:08

killerbladeaex

im vverrrrrrry experinced at this all

#8 08/20/16 16:08

Iritscen

Are you experienced in coding?

#9 08/20/16 16:08

killerbladeaex

yes i am

#10 08/20/16 17:08

Iritscen

Well, this is the last version of the source: http://websvn.chrilly.net/listing.php?r … 90&peg=990.  So you would have to build on that work, in whatever state Gumby left it.

#11 08/21/16 02:08

killerbladeaex

cpool

#12 08/21/16 09:08

Iritscen

killerbladeaex wrote:

what files are being turned to dll since flatline is basically just one file bink32.dll

Well, I had to show you a snapshot of the Flatline source from the time that it was included in the Daodan DLL because the Daodan no longer includes Flatline when it's built.  That's why, when people want to play Flatline, they can't use the binkw32.dll that comes with the AE, but instead have to download the binkw32.dll that's at the location given in the Flatline thread.  So that's one thing we'd have to work out if you wanted to make a new build of Flatline.  It requires the hooking abilities of the Daodan DLL, so you might have to merge the relevant Daodan DLL code (minus the actual patches it makes to Oni) with the Flatline code if you wanted to put out new builds.  Then we can work out how to release those builds, perhaps independently from the Daodan DLL that comes with the AE.

By the way how did you get the source code for zukai if no one else have it on mac? How did you begin developing it and what available resources did you have any info from an expert like you would be very valuable to me

The Zukai source was written from scratch by me.  It uses an open-source Mac framework called mach_override to hook into Oni's existing functions by name, and uses them to read and set the memory appropriately so that characters can be remotely controlled over a network.  The Daodan DLL serves this purpose in Windows except that it has to access the functions by direct memory address.  I didn't have any personal advice from experts, but I did do a LOT of research into how multiplayer works in typical games before I started my project.

#13 08/21/16 16:08

Scarlett

You guys have some big brains. You should be working in companies doing these sort of stuff

#14 08/21/16 17:08

Iritscen

A few of the fans in the Oni community who can code are in fact working professionally as programmers.  And a couple of the modders work as artists at game studios.  When I was deciding on a career, I wasn't sure I wanted to be a programmer, so I don't do it for work, but maybe I should.  I could use a change in career.

#15 08/22/16 08:08

killerbladeaex

thats awesome

#16 08/22/16 09:08

Iritscen

I think you need to check out the code as of that revision 990 in order to get a version of the Daodan DLL source that still included Flatline.

#17 08/22/16 09:08

killerbladeaex

i don't understand what's revision 990? and what's the use of the source codes you gave me what are they used for if they don't have daodan's source? sry for too many questions btw

Last edited by killerbladeaex (08/22/16 10:08)

#18 08/22/16 10:08

Iritscen

If you're going to fix any bugs in Flatline, you should be familiar with Subversion because you'll have to contribute fixes to our repo.  Take a look at the Subversion docs if you don't know what "check out revision 990" means.

The link I gave you before is for the folder where Flatline resided as a part of the Daodan project, before it was removed.  It looks like it was removed in rev. 992 (see here).  Since then, Flatline essentially doesn't exist on our repo.  So you need to go back in time to when it was part of the Daodan DLL so you can build a binkw32.dll with Flatline in it.

#19 08/22/16 10:08

killerbladeaex

aaaaaaaa ok

#20 08/22/16 11:08

Iritscen

Everything at the Daodan/ level of the repo, as seen here, is needed to build the DLL.  I haven't built the Daodan myself since I'm on a Mac, but I see that there's a makefile, a build.bat, and an MSVC directory with a project file.  One of those methods must work for you (the makefile is the most recent one, by far).

#21 08/22/16 11:08

killerbladeaex

there's already a built doadan.dll file but when  i place it inside the game folder and rename it to bink32.dll it doesn't work why?
and the build file is not even a code just random texts?

Last edited by killerbladeaex (08/22/16 11:08)

#22 08/22/16 12:08

Iritscen

I'm not sure what that daodan.dll file is, but it's from 2009, so I would just ignore it.  The Daodan DLL is supposed to be called binkw32.dll, not daodan.dll.

What build file is random text?  The makefile looks fine: http://websvn.chrilly.net/filedetails.p … le&peg=990

#23 08/22/16 13:08

killerbladeaex

ur the best

#24 08/22/16 14:08

Iritscen

Sorry, I don't have a lot of time for giving support.  I was counting on your having experience with this.  I forgot that "make" is traditionally a *nix tool, but it looks like there is a Windows version: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm.  You might be able to resurrect the VC project instead, but it's probably way out of date.

#25 08/22/16 15:08

killerbladeaex

iits ok

Board footer