Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#126 02/07/12 21:02

Mukade

Re: Oni Roleplay: Rules/discussion [MUST READ FIRST]

@Certified - Good decision. It's always nice to see people making decisions like that because their character needs it and not because it's something the person playing him wants/doesn't want. The mark of a good RPer imo smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#127 02/07/12 22:02

Striker

TheCreature wrote:

Stuff

Creature, I think we should expand on how the boss fights should work (Mai and Naomi get +2 fight bonus, while others get +1) and what will happen to them if they lose and their AP goes below 0 (do they die forever or do they just go unconscious?).

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#128 02/07/12 23:02

Valkyrur

Striker wrote:
TheCreature wrote:

Stuff

Creature, I think we should expand on how the boss fights should work (Mai and Naomi get +2 fight bonus, while others get +1) and what will happen to them if they lose and their AP goes below 0 (do they die forever or do they just go unconscious?).

Ironic, I was going to suggest that myself awhile ago when it came to characters who are powerful, or have certain tactical advantages, but never got around to posting it myself.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#129 02/08/12 01:02

TheCreature

You should explain WHY Naomi and Mai have those +2 modifiers, aside from the simple fact that they're bosses.  It should be attainable by characters somehow, given enough effort.

Also, here's an example of how we could do modifiers:
Certified thinks that because Jan is in a sniping position, with a Mbow, he should have a tactical advantage.  He posts his roll, and underneath puts the desired modifier (within reason. 1-2 is plenty) and short explanation.

GM looks at modifier and explanation and decides whether or not the advantage is modifier-worthy.  If it's not, the GM will request that the modifier be removed.

Also, NPC's don't have AP, so they don't quite follow the same rules as characters.  If they did, there'd be a lot less action in this RP than there is now.  I'll just say that if you do serious damage to an NPC, that NPC will most likely die.  If we do wind up making "boss fights" different from normal actions, it'll probably happen in stages.  Like 3 normal fights stacked on top of each other.

IMHO

Last edited by TheCreature (02/08/12 01:02)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#130 02/08/12 09:02

Striker

TheCreature wrote:

You should explain WHY Naomi and Mai have those +2 modifiers, aside from the simple fact that they're bosses.  It should be attainable by characters somehow, given enough effort.

Also, here's an example of how we could do modifiers:
Certified thinks that because Jan is in a sniping position, with a Mbow, he should have a tactical advantage.  He posts his roll, and underneath puts the desired modifier (within reason. 1-2 is plenty) and short explanation.

GM looks at modifier and explanation and decides whether or not the advantage is modifier-worthy.  If it's not, the GM will request that the modifier be removed.

Also, NPC's don't have AP, so they don't quite follow the same rules as characters.  If they did, there'd be a lot less action in this RP than there is now.  I'll just say that if you do serious damage to an NPC, that NPC will most likely die.  If we do wind up making "boss fights" different from normal actions, it'll probably happen in stages.  Like 3 normal fights stacked on top of each other.

IMHO

I was just trying to find a way to preserve important NPCs in the game. You have to remember - in 'Oni', Konoko was a special agent, who, in comparison to regular people in the game, was very difficult to kill. The characters in the roleplay are regular people, and should be treated so. Imagine a fight in the game between Konoko and a hoplite striker: Konoko would most definitely win every time. What about Barabas or Muro? That's why I think we need a 'boss attack modifier'. They aren't regular players, they are supremely powerful and deadly in battle.

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#131 02/08/12 13:02

TheCreature

I know, and can sympathize with you.  However:

We're not talking about Konoko vs. Strikers here.  (Unless your character plans to attack Mai)  If the bosses ever get pulled into a fight, they'll most likely be up against someone else who's fairly badass as well.  So we're talking about a fight more like Mai vs Muro or Mai vs Dream Mai.

And I'm not saying that we can't give them bonuses.  We just need to make it a believable reason for why they have those bonuses.  Maybe Mai and Naomi both have training regimens tailored to their daodan, or they drink some health-smoothie every morning.  We just need something more than "They're bosses, so they get bonuses".

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#132 02/08/12 14:02

Mukade

Striker wrote:

The characters in the roleplay are regular people, and should be treated so.

Yeah, this is why, in my post, I tried to make him as believeably mortal as possible. I could have made him a crazy skilled bounty hunter, which might have been entertaining to write, but not as believeable. I made him miss both of his knife throws, and I think I hinted that he wasn't anywhere near the top of his line of work. On the other hand, these leaves much more room for learning and such.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#133 02/08/12 17:02

Striker

TheCreature wrote:

We're not talking about Konoko vs. Strikers here.  (Unless your character plans to attack Mai)  If the bosses ever get pulled into a fight, they'll most likely be up against someone else who's fairly badass as well.  So we're talking about a fight more like Mai vs Muro or Mai vs Dream Mai.

And I'm not saying that we can't give them bonuses.  We just need to make it a believable reason for why they have those bonuses.  Maybe Mai and Naomi both have training regimens tailored to their daodan, or they drink some health-smoothie every morning.  We just need something more than "They're bosses, so they get bonuses".

Well there are a few reasons as to why they are bosses in the first place: They all have advanced, expensive daodan chrysalis inside them and they are all very skilled fighters (superior to everyone else).

Why should there even be a justification as to why they have bonuses? They are bosses, and bosses are always more dangerous than regular people. That's that. Boss vs. Boss would still give them their bonuses, except they won't really change much if both of their bonuses are the same. The only reason we need bosses to be more skilled is because we don't want anyone's character defeating Mai in a battle single-handedly. That brings me to another point: Should there be multiple enemy fights? For example, strikers are almost never alone, they fight in groups, that's what makes them strong. We should have bonuses for that too.

Last edited by Striker (02/08/12 17:02)

#134 02/08/12 17:02

Valkyrur

Striker wrote:
TheCreature wrote:

Well there are a few reasons as to why they are bosses in the first place: They all have advanced, expensive daodan chrysalis inside them and they are all very skilled fighters (superior to everyone else).

Why should there even be a justification as to why they have bonuses? They are bosses, and bosses are always more dangerous than regular people. That's that. Boss vs. Boss would still give them their bonuses, except they won't really change much if both of their bonuses are the same. The only reason we need bosses to be more skilled is because we don't want anyone's character defeating Mai in a battle single-handedly. That brings me to another point: Should there be multiple enemy fights? For example, strikers are almost never alone, they fight in groups, that's what makes them strong. We should have bonuses for that too.

Nah, keep it simple to keep up the pace. I do agree with certain factors giving roll bonuses though.

#135 02/08/12 17:02

TheCreature

Ok... how about the following system...

When there are multiple people in a fight, each side adds 1 to their roll for every extra person fighting.

1 person = no bonus
2 people = +1
3 people = +2
4 = +3
etc.

For individual bonuses...  (Bonuses can be stacked)

Daodan = +1

Imago = +2

Specific Training = +1 (specific means that you've trained extensively in a particular weapon or hand to hand style, and it's listed in your character's profile)

AP conversion:  Players can choose to overexert themselves, sacrificing AP for bonuses on their roll.  1=1

Well-equipped = +1  (means your character has very well-maintained weapons, vehicle, clothes, better health care, higher-quality Daodan, etc.  Must be listed in your character's profile)

#136 02/08/12 18:02

Striker

TheCreature wrote:

When there are multiple people in a fight, each side adds 1 to their roll for every extra person fighting.

1 person = no bonus
2 people = +1
3 people = +2
4 = +3
etc.

Daodan = +1

Imago = +2

Specific Training = +1 (specific means that you've trained extensively in a particular weapon or hand to hand style, and it's listed in your character's profile)

AP conversion:  Players can choose to overexert themselves, sacrificing AP for bonuses on their roll.  1=1

Well-equipped = +1  (means your character has very well-maintained weapons, vehicle, clothes, better health care, higher-quality Daodan, etc.  Must be listed in your character's profile)

You just made it 1,000,000 times more complicated than it was. I mean it would be a good system to follow, but it's not fitting because we already have so many rules. I think that we should keep this to a minimum, and allow +1 for Imago, and only up to 3 people in a fight per team, anything else gets too difficult to follow.
Review:
+ 2 Bonus for Mai and Naomi ONLY
+ 1 Bonus for bosses like Lucifer, TCTF Generals, etcetera
+ 1 Bonus for Imago (does not stack on for bosses)

We want to keep it simple.

Last edited by Striker (02/08/12 18:02)

#137 02/08/12 18:02

kyletm57

@The Creature

Though i like the system, our characters are usually in extremely small groups. I'm worried that giving bonuses to larger groups could pose a problem, allowing enemies an extensive advantage over us (then again i could be wrong). Other than that, i think the system is pretty a good idea. Also, would you have to list every roll or just the roll that obtained the best average?

banner2440.jpg

#138 02/08/12 18:02

Valkyrur

Striker wrote:
TheCreature wrote:

1 person = no bonus
2 people = +1
3 people = +2
4 = +3
etc.

Daodan = +1

Imago = +2

You just made it 1,000,000 times more complicated than it was. I mean it would be a good system to follow, but it's not fitting because we already have so many rules. I think that we should keep this to a minimum, and allow +1 for Imago, and only up to 3 people in a fight per team, anything else gets too difficult to follow.
Review:
+ 2 Bonus for Mai and Naomi ONLY
+ 1 Bonus for bosses like Lucifer, TCTF Generals, etcetera
+ 1 Bonus for Imago (does not stack on for bosses)

We want to keep it simple.

Don't forget scenarios of tactical advantage, like distance, whether or not the other party knows that they are there, ect.

#139 02/08/12 18:02

Striker

Certified wrote:

Don't forget scenarios of tactical advantage, like distance, whether or not the other party knows that they are there, ect.

You guys are making it way too complicated.

#140 02/08/12 18:02

TheCreature

Ok.  Well, let's just drop the roll modifiers.  Too complicated anyways.

How about... We just make it a rule that major NPC's can't be killed without GM say-so.  Beat up, captured, force to retreat to underground lairs, but we'll save the killing until we've finished their plot line.

Last edited by TheCreature (02/08/12 18:02)

#141 02/08/12 19:02

Valkyrur

So, how much longer until it is safe to post in the RP again Creature?

#142 02/08/12 19:02

Striker

TheCreature wrote:

Ok.  Well, let's just drop the roll modifiers.  Too complicated anyways.

How about... We just make it a rule that major NPC's can't be killed without GM say-so.  Beat up, captured, force to retreat to underground lairs, but we'll save the killing until we've finished their plot line.

Sounds good.

#143 02/08/12 19:02

TheCreature

Ok, let's get back to the game then.

#144 02/08/12 22:02

Mukade

I wouldn't say drop the roll modifiers completely, but we might be able to do it on a case-to-case basis. Either the GM or player, whoever thinks they should have a bonus, says so. (I think that's what we started with). Also, the modifier for multiple enemies made perfect sense, as well as boss combat modifiers.

#145 02/09/12 07:02

Striker

Certified, I like your post, but I found an error: In the 'Atmospheric Processors' flashback, your date doesn't exactly match with the actual date of the incident, which was Wednesday, November 24, 2032 (proof). Please fix it when you get the time. Thank you.

#146 02/09/12 16:02

Valkyrur

Alright, fixed, and bumped up the first memory's timing a year.

#147 02/11/12 00:02

Mukade

Well since there hasn't been a GM post in awhile, looks like I'll be inserting myself into the story. Thanks Certified, I think you've given me the perfect opportunity to slip myself into the main plot. Will give it some thought and then post tomorrow.

#148 02/11/12 00:02

Valkyrur

Cool

Also, for the sake of fixing confusion with Jan's appearance between certain points:

Past: 300px-Jan_Templar.jpg

Present: 1700631-kz3mcestrlrrfv12_720.euax__large.jpg

#149 02/11/12 11:02

Striker

Guys, just a quick thing: If you think the location you are using is very important (will be used in the future excessively, etcetera), notify me here and I will update the map accordingly. Include your desired colour of the map marker (must be an unused colour, you could provide me with the HTML colour code), the cell coordinates, and a brief description of the location.

To Certified: Make sure to keep in mind that daodan chrysalis cannot change the symbiont's personality; the final form (Imago stage) is an expression of the person's "true nature".

Concerning Daodan Chrysalis (again): Multiple sources claim that "Daodan Chrysalis" is a hyper-evolved form of a cancer cell. A reliable source (Kerr) said: "The Chrysalis is the hyper-evolved clone of its host body. As the host experiences stress or harm it grows to reinforce or replace the body's damaged systems". I think a discussion is necessary to avoid confusion involving Daodan Chrysalis. People should be willing to edit their previous chrysalis-related posts for the sake of clarification.

Concerning Sytropin: A console in "Chapter 12: Sins of the Father" suggests that 'Sytropin' is injected.

Last edited by Striker (02/11/12 11:02)

#150 02/11/12 11:02

Valkyrur

Striker wrote:

Guys, just a quick thing: If you think the location you are using is very important (will be used in the future excessively, etcetera), notify me here and I will update the map accordingly. Include your desired colour of the map marker (must be an unused colour, you could provide me with the HTML colour code), the cell coordinates, and a brief description of the location.

To Certified: Make sure to keep in mind that daodan chrysalis cannot change the symbiont's personality; the final form (Imago stage) is an expression of the person's "true nature".

Concerning Daodan Chrysalis (again): Multiple sources claim that "Daodan Chrysalis" is a hyper-evolved form of a cancer cell. A reliable source (Kerr) said: "The Chrysalis is the hyper-evolved clone of its host body. As the host experiences stress or harm it grows to reinforce or replace the body's damaged systems". I think a discussion is necessary to avoid confusion involving Daodan Chrysalis. People should be willing to edit their previous chrysalis-related posts for the sake of clarification.

Concerning Sytropin: A console in "Chapter 12: Sins of the Father" suggests that 'Sytropin' is injected.

Relax, there's a quite different reason for his mood swings that I'll explain later.

Like, as soon as I have another interaction with a hostile character.

Also, one general rule I follow on character personalities: Mind is a plaything of the body.

Last edited by Valkyrur (02/11/12 12:02)

Board footer