Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/08/12 20:01

Striker

Oni Roleplay: Rules/discussion [MUST READ FIRST]

SbIZk.png
Welcome to Oni Roleplay, the first Oni Roleplaying forum game! Read and understand the rules below and you will be ready to begin your very own Oni adventure!

Basic game rules:
-The story is told from 3rd person. All of your actions must be said in 3rd person (He went to the store, he grabbed the gun, he beat his grandmother to death, etc).
-The game is set after the Oni storyline. This means you have to make sure your setting is correct.
-You cannot play as main/cannon characters (Mai, Griffin, the next leader of the syndicate, etc), you must be a non-significant character (you could, however, slowly get where you want to go).
-Roleplaying is about developing and advancing your character, not constantly fighting (fights are allowed and somewhat encouraged, just don't be fighting too much).
-Do not double post. If you wish to add something, edit your previous post and write it there (however, try not to make major changes, just wait for someone to post first).
-The GMs (Game moderators/masters - TheCreature, Striker and oxe161) are the people making sure no one breaks the rules. They can also create NPCs (non-player characters) and control them to enhance the gamepay. They cannot, however, use the NPCs to their own advantage. Please respect their decisions, but feel welcome to voice your concerns in the discussion thread.
-Follow the threads: this thread is the rules/questions/discussion, the character creation is PURELY to introduce your character, the roleplay thread is PURELY for roleplaying. No exceptions.
-Make sure the time advances similarly in posts; don't skip/stay too much time ahead/behind of others (5 hours is max, unless it is a flashback).
-Follow all other forum rules, moderators can still ban you here.

Comprehensive game rules:
-AP (action points) is the system that keeps the game organized and under control. When you want to perform an action, you must use up APs (actions such as picking up a coffee cup and drinking it aren't worth AP; actions such as travelling somewhere/fighting/performing stunts do). When you post, you must first include the amount of APs you have at the moment. Every major action takes 1 AP to perform (exceptions further down in the rules). A person with negative AP is unconscious. Each day, a person will earn 1 AP only if they are not engaged in something (like fight/important mission/robbery, etcetera). 5 AP is the maximum amount of AP a person could have. Everyone starts out with 1 AP.
-To attack someone, you must use 1 AP (the person could flee/refuse, the points will not be used up). If the battle is accepted, both players will roll 3 20-sided dice 3 times on this website. One player would challenge someone using 1 AP, and write the average outcome (rounded). The challenged player would choose whether to accept the battle, and if he/she accepts, they will roll the dice as well, and post their outcome. The winner of the fight is given the privilege of writing the outcome of the battle (how it happened, etcetera). The losing player would lose 2 AP.
-Write your main actions in sufficient detail (1-3 sentences). Do not write brief sentences, as there might not have enough detail for people to fully understand the characters' actions.

Other information:
This is the thread where you could read the rules, ask questions, and voice your concerns/opinions. You may not ask questions about the Oni Roleplay on any other "Oni Roleplay" thread. Know what to post where and when. If you do not follow the rules, your posts can get deleted and you can be banned. If you have any quick questions, you can join the IRC by clicking here.

Once you have read and understood the rules, you may go to the character creation thread.
Have fun!

Last edited by Striker (03/17/12 15:03)

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#2 01/08/12 20:01

TheCreature

Re: Oni Roleplay: Rules/discussion [MUST READ FIRST]

Just so that there's no confusion, a battle should look like this:

Player 1 wrote:

AP:2
::Player 1 runs at Player 2, pulling his gun and taking aim and yelling::

"I'll kill you!!"

1 - 19 - 7 (Avg: 9.0)
10 - 1 - 3 (Avg: 4.66666666667)
14 - 12 - 5 (Avg: 10.33333333333)
(Total avg: 8.0)

AP:1

Both of these players are using the website mentioned above:  Simply select 20 (twenty, icosahedron, d20) from the pulldown tab, and then enter 3 in both of the fields below that.  Then copy/paste the resulting numbers into your post.

Player 2 wrote:

AP:3

::Player 2 ducks behind a box and draws his own gun, tensing as he gets ready to counter::

17 - 20 - 12 (Avg: 16.33333333333)
18 - 1 - 15 (Avg: 11.33333333333)
9 - 4 - 1 (Avg: 4.66666666667)
(Total avg: 10.7777777778)

Player 2's total average is higher, so he wins the battle.

Player 2 wrote:

AP:3

::Player 2 jumps above the crate and opens fire, rolling to the side to avoid Player 1's bullets.  As he comes up, he sees Player 1 crumple to the ground, bleeding through several bullet holes.  Player 2 then sits tiredly on the crate, not realizing that Player 1 is still breathing...::

Player 1 would then be unconscious, because he has -1 AP, and he would remain that way until he reaches 1 AP.

Although, we expect much more detail in the actual game.  Want to keep it interesting, right?
Can't wait to RP with you all!  Have fun!

Last edited by TheCreature (01/09/12 16:01)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 01/09/12 15:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 10:01)

#4 01/09/12 16:01

TheCreature

Actually, you'd be surprised how simple it is.

Basically, just remember to post your AP:# at the top of each post, and the new AP:# at the bottom of each post.  Like this:

Example wrote:

AP:5

Windy got up and did some trivial stuff, and then one important thing, and then went somewhere, and did more trivial stuff, and said something.

"I'm saying something to this NPC, about this other thing."

AP:3 (5-2)

You just subtract one AP for every important thing you do.  (Going somewhere, fixing a broken machine, etc.)  But yeah, as long as you do that, and remember to stay in the setting, you'll be fine.  Don't worry about battles just yet.  I'll walk everyone through their first couple battles, until they get the hang of it.

Last edited by TheCreature (01/09/12 18:01)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#5 01/09/12 16:01

Striker

Windy wrote:

This looks complicated for me...
sad

I would highly recommend you read and understand the rules (trust me, they were more complicated when TheCreature provided me with the raw info from the other roleplaying forum).
Once you read the rules, you should read how to make your character, etcetera. Then you will be ready to roleplay.

I encourage you to read how others have posted (their post style, structure, etcetera) before beginning to write your own.
Edit: TheCreature, please stay on the IRC as much as possible so I could reach you at any time. Thanks.

Last edited by Striker (01/09/12 16:01)

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#6 01/09/12 19:01

Yoriko

I dont think I've got enough imagination to do this.....

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#7 01/09/12 19:01

Lithium

Helps to take some illegal substances.

Anyway it should be simple enough once you get used to the flow of the game. Just try and jump in later, sure you'll get used to it. ^^

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 01/09/12 20:01

Yoriko

I never thought I would ever say this but Oxe, I will follow your advice.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#9 01/09/12 20:01

TheCreature

General note to everyone:  It's not as hard as you think.  I know the rules are bit confusing at first, but once you get a feel for it, things really fall into place.

#10 01/09/12 22:01

kyletm57

When you say AP regenerates by 1 every day, do you mean a real life day or a day in the RP itself?

Edit: Real life day, got it. Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited by kyletm57 (01/09/12 22:01)

banner2440.jpg

#11 01/09/12 22:01

TheCreature

Real life day.  You get a point at midnight your time.

Last edited by TheCreature (01/09/12 22:01)

#12 01/09/12 22:01

Striker

kyletm57 wrote:

When you say AP regenerates by 1 every day, do you mean a real life day or a day in the RP itself?

A day in real life. To avoid time zone confusion, everyone's AP regenerates depending on their time zone. You gain an AP point at exactly 00:00 am, depending on your time zone.
Remember: you can only have a maximum of 5 AP points. You cannot go over, even if you had waited more than 5 days.

[Off-topic]

oxe161 wrote:

Helps to take some illegal substances.

Yoriko wrote:

I never thought I would ever say this but Oxe, I will follow your advice.

Kinda laughed here.

Last edited by Striker (01/10/12 20:01)

#13 01/11/12 17:01

Bozzman

Thought this to be the best place to post this - use it if you wish (I thought the current one hard to read - no offense! tongue) I'll update it as necessary
9gex4.jpg

Here take this hypo!

#14 01/11/12 17:01

TheCreature

Thanks man!  Looks good!  I think I'm gonna start using the map to show people's locations too.  Here, let me see...

#15 01/11/12 22:01

kyletm57

To Striker: Just to make sure i fix my post corectly, what time do you recommend my arrival? Also, as not to interfere with your plans for the box, how about the TCTF finds your machine, and my character finds the Chrsalis in the normal boxes instead? If not, any suggestions as to how to fix this would be well appreciated.

banner2440.jpg

#16 01/11/12 23:01

Striker

kyletm57 wrote:

To Striker: Just to make sure i fix my post corectly, what time do you recommend my arrival? Also, as not to interfere with your plans for the box, how about the TCTF finds your machine, and my character finds the Chrsalis in the normal boxes instead? If not, any suggestions as to how to fix this would be well appreciated.

The time or your arrival should be appropriate for the time it would take to travel there. Maybe... 15/20 minutes? The huge metal box is ripped open and the contents are gone by the time you arrive. There is no hidden compartments. It is empty. As for the other boxes, I do not care, they just have to be biology related (it's a biology warehouse, used by the Bio lab a few cells away - mission 3 in the game). Sorry to cause hassle.

#17 01/12/12 12:01

Windy

neutral

#18 01/12/12 17:01

Striker

Windy wrote:

There are a lot of empty spaces in the map.
It would not hurt to add some buildings like hospitals and other usefull things...
tongue

I only added the most important things/things we have used in the past. You come up with a location and we will add it if it is significant enough.

#19 01/12/12 21:01

kyletm57

Quick question, why has the TCTF HQ been moved to a temporary location? Is the original building destroyed? I only ask as i'm wondering if the old HQ could serve any future purpose or use.

banner2440.jpg

#20 01/12/12 21:01

Striker

kyletm57 wrote:

Quick question, why has the TCTF HQ been moved to a temporary location? Is the original building destroyed? I only ask as i'm wondering if the old HQ could serve any future purpose or use.

Chapter_14_.MISSION_COMPLETE.png
Take a look for yourself. In the last box you can see the intense fire inside what seems to be the TCTF headquarters.
We are only assuming that the headquarters burnt down and is no longer structurally stable for dedicated TCTF use.

#21 01/12/12 22:01

TheCreature

Yeah, it's not just the TCTF building either.  A lot of the city has been damaged in some way or another.  For the TCTF, it's not stable enough.  They can't risk the building coming down on their heads.  For the average person struggling to survive, however, it's plenty fine to use as a makeshift apartment building.

#22 01/13/12 02:01

Windy

neutral

#23 01/13/12 09:01

Striker

Windy wrote:

It is all thanks to Konoko that the TCTF had to go on a road trip tongue

It was Muro's fault; Konoko tried to stop it.
Also: Windy, stop posting unrelated posts in the Roleplay and Character creation threads. They are not meant for that. If you wish to voice your concerns, go on this thread and post them here. Stop breaking rules, it's annoying.

#24 01/13/12 11:01

Lithium

I only see one unrelated post in the RP thread

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#25 01/13/12 15:01

Striker

oxe161 wrote:

I only see one unrelated post in the RP thread

Striker wrote:

Roleplay and Character creation threads.

Also: Windy, if you posted something off-topic in the roleplay thread, all you have to do is simply edit the post and replace it with a story instead.

Last edited by Striker (01/13/12 15:01)

Board footer