Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/27/07 10:06

s10k
Website

Vampire Mod

----Another Team Mod----

Here's a beta of my new script for oni, it's called Vampire. The objective is "bite" all others of other team. There are 2 Boss, Konoko and Mukade. This Bosses can't change the team. The objective is kill the boss and convert all fighters in your team.

At the moment isn't possible finish the script, because there some kind of bug in team change (in tctfs I think), I will fix this later.

BUGS to be fixed:

- Some bugs in team changing.
- Nothing happens when you kill other boss. I will add some text noticing it etc..
- Colors. Blues when die, the color can't change to blue again. I tried chr_inv_reset to fix this but looks that don't work.
- When chars die, they not do die sounds.

Please rembember that this is a beta, isn't the final version.

Download:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/OniPF/index … id=1553558

Hope that you help me to fix this bugs. wink And know that this is only a new idea for a mod.

Last edited by s10k (06/27/07 10:06)

#2 06/27/07 12:06

s10k
Website

Re: Vampire Mod

Beta 2

Color bug corrected.

Colors are now blue (mukade) and dark (konoko).

Download:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/OniPF/index … id=1553629

#3 06/27/07 12:06

paradox-01

It might be practical for reading but I like the slowmo events for itself^^
I killed Mukade and wanted to change back some tctf but didn't work. And when I die I do not "lose" - there's no re-spawn.

But nice work so far, Script_10k! smile

#4 06/27/07 13:06

s10k
Website

paradox-01 wrote:

It might be practical for reading but I like the slowmo events for itself^^
I killed Mukade and wanted to change back some tctf but didn't work. And when I die I do not "lose" - there's no re-spawn.

But nice work so far, Script_10k! smile

I know about that.. smile I will try fix this bugs. Thanks for testing.

#5 06/27/07 13:06

geyser
Website

And know that this is only a new idea for a mod.

Heh... We all remember how OTA started... wink

At the moment isn't possible finish the script, because there some kind of bug in team change (in tctfs I think), I will fix this later.

Well, usually, those bugs all come from the same reason: you folks duplicate a lot of code.
Writing redundant code when you could write it once introduces typos and other mistakes.

You want all players to behave exactly the same way when bitten: to get/drop a shield and to switch teams.
The proper way to do that is not to rewrite the same thing for every character (twice, in your case).
You want to write one function, once, and let it handle every character. Written once, works all the time.

In this case, however, the reason is much simpler: chr_inv_reset doesn't take away the boss shield.
So a red player can't be made blue, unfortunately (the next Daodan DLL might change that). Sorry.
You can only have blue and white, or red and white, when it comes to vampires.

Interestigly, that can be a feature... if it's a true Vampire mod we're talking about, humans shouldn't be allowed to bite vampires hmm
So it's OK if the red team can only get larger. If a vampire dies, it's over, but if a human dies, he/she becomes a vampire. Right?

Last edited by geyser (06/27/07 14:06)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 06/27/07 21:06

EdT
Website

It works on the Mac... except when Konoko's loses I get a black screen, but there are sounds like the game is continuing.
Nice start to a new mod!

#7 06/28/07 18:06

geyser
Website

Sorta remake (sorry Script, couldn't resist smile ).

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 06/29/07 04:06

s10k
Website

geyser wrote:

Sorta remake (sorry Script, couldn't resist smile ).

No problem. Thanks for the scripts tips. tongue

#9 06/29/07 16:06

Soul

I have to say...its genius! If you could expand it to a bigger area and put some more AIs in that would be so addictive...well it already is addictive
Thanks guys for additional hours of fun with oni

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
or should I?
You know what I'd like to be?
I mean if I had my goddamn choice, I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all.

#10 06/29/07 17:06

geyser
Website

Addictive indeed. I made it last night, and it sure kept me up later than usual... Good fun.
It of course asks for porting to other areas and levels (and for some more promotion via YouTube smile ).
However, in a larger area, not directly seeing how your team is doing becomes an issue.

Individual death messages are a possibility (and they don't require much extra coding), but they might be distractive.

Another solution is to use the HUD meters like I did in my "Duck Hunt" remake of Tosh's Sniper Mod (the hypo meter).
Of course a single meter can't cover all the present players, but it does great as a warning about extreme situations.
For example, you don't really care how many teammates you have left if it's 6 or more: you're not in immediate danger.
On the contrary, if you're doing good, you'll want to know how many enemies are left to convert.
If we stick to melee (and it's a good idea to stick to melee), we can use the ammo and cell meters in parallel.
Every time an enemy gets converted to a friend, we add a cell and remove an ammo clip, and vice-versa.
We would also add sound events (killkick, alarm siren) to support the visual information (meters).

That's the only changes I'd make to the core right now. Otherwise, it's ready to port and to record smile
If you want to be able to shapeshift bots and such, then the core needs to be modified to loop forever.
However, the ultimate load on the engine is much lighter if there's no infinite looping. We shall see...

#11 06/29/07 22:06

geyser
Website

And... update. I'd call it final, say, 1.0.
More, better, later, but this one is done.

This is very easily portable to other levels. All you need to edit is:
* the SpawnRenegade and SpawnBoss calls in fmain
* the teleport flags (and anim) in TeleportByTeam
* the name of the boss in AwarenessByTeam
* level-specific stuff in main (door locks etc)

So go ahead and try it out in as many places and with as many fighter types as possible.
The areas and lineups that get the most votes will be considered for "cycles" à la OTA smile

Overview of the new features:

Added the "kill-o-meter" (ammo/cell meter: works out very well indeed).
Gave the shields back to the enemies, and Mukade now got a boss shield.
Enemy=blue and boss=red makes for an intuitive color code (objectives).
Plus, a boss-shielded Mukade has that 100% priceless Saint-Seya look smile

Added a special respawn animation (NINCOMteleport_out, of course).

Rewrote the messages in a somewhat better style. Played with text colors a bit. Switched from "iON EYEs" to "iONEYEs"
(as I found out, by doing the latter I merely traded a line of paintball accessories for a metal band from the UK... sigh)

Didn't add any music or an "alarm loop" or even taunts: they'd interfere with whatever music you like to listen to...
(and of course I "want" you to record that stuff with your favorite Oni-fitting soundtrack and upload it on YouTube smile )

Didn't add multiple spawn flags. They'd need a randomizer and lots of "if"s so I decided to scrap them for now.
If we decide to port this thing to much larger areas, it might make sense to add multiple flag support, of course.
But I think it'll be fun enough without large areas, or at least without multiple spawn locations per team. Let's try.

Disabled console output (messages about missing particles and respawn events cluttered up the "kill-o-meter").

If you think the "killkick" sound clashes with the music or is completely useless, just comment it out or ask me to.
Random taunts still happen (it sure is fun to hear "Renegade" now and then wink ), but there are no win/lose sounds.
(at first I wanted to make Konoko/Mukade taunt each other when the game was over of when one of them died)
It's no problem to add that if you ask for it, but I thought I'd rather leave it out. Same for the "alarm loop" sound.

Major additions planned:

Certainly the true "Vampire" mode (friends >> enemies, enemies >> dust).
Maybe (maybe) the PC-exclusive Tag mode (switching to every killed enemy).

P.S. Thanks a lot to Script for the inspiration.

Last edited by geyser (06/29/07 22:06)

#12 06/29/07 23:06

geyser
Website

double-post

Last edited by geyser (06/30/07 18:06)

#13 06/30/07 04:06

s10k
Website

And... update. I'd call it final, say, 1.0.

it is very good, maybe we can add weapons later too?

#14 06/30/07 05:06

Soul

That might be a problem...The shield protects one team,so that might be a little off balance

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
or should I?
You know what I'd like to be?
I mean if I had my goddamn choice, I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all.

#15 06/30/07 06:06

s10k
Website

Soul wrote:

That might be a problem...The shield protects one team,so that might be a little off balance

Yeh I forgot that. hmm

#16 06/30/07 15:06

geyser
Website

I have no plans to add weapons. The pace of kills is very fast already. As for the shields - yes, they'd be a problem. The team wearing shields is totally invulnerable.
Maybe in Vampire, the shields can be given to the humans, and then in emergency situations, you'd get a gun with silver bullets (or a "bow" with quicksilver arrows smile )

One thing that will be there in the next version is boss-specials (Devilstar/Earthquaker when the boss is on his own, regeneration/teleportation when he's low on health).
Apart from that, there's really not much more to add. Maybe play with melee parameters (melee weight correction, spacing cookies) and disable teleport at respawn.
We're currently looking up more areas to have a Renegade match in (Vampire and Tag will come once Renegade is perfect). There will be 3 areas, one per savepoint.
(there are ways to add more areas, but I want to keep the core very light right now: there will be flags for more arenas in the script, which you can select very easily).

So? Ideas/complaints are still welcome at this point. You're also expected to port this to the level and area of your dreams, and come back to us with your settings.

Last edited by geyser (06/30/07 20:06)

#17 06/30/07 19:06

EdT
Website

Found a couple of bugs: 

1) You need to add the command chr_teleport 0 flag# when porting to other levels, otherwise Konoko stays in her default location for that level. 

2)When the game starts, Konoko is at her default location, then a few seconds later teleports to the flag.

#18 06/30/07 20:06

geyser
Website

1) You need to add the command chr_teleport 0 flag# when porting to other levels, otherwise Konoko stays in her default location for that level.

To keep things generic, you want to add something like TeleportByTeam(char_0, Konoko) (replace "char_0" with whatever Mai's name is in the level).

2)When the game starts, Konoko is at her default location, then a few seconds later teleports to the flag.

You want to add that teleportation before the sleep 200, of course. Not necessarily at the very start of main, but before any delay.

#19 06/30/07 21:06

EdT
Website

Here's my port for TCTF level.
As geyser said, its easy to port.  Though balancing the teams is more challenging.  You have to consider the health level of each team member.

One question, is it possible to use barabus as the boss without his weapon?

To keep things generic, you want to add something like TeleportByTeam(char_0, Konoko) (replace "char_0" with whatever Mai's name is in the level).

geyser: I couldn't get that to work for me, probably not thinking right... :-)
so I just used chr_teleport 0 0306 at the start.

EDIT: After playing it a few times, this level is fairly easy to beat, since the boss is not powerful.  There must be a way to use barabus.

Last edited by EdT (07/01/07 10:07)

#20 07/01/07 03:07

geyser
Website

Hm. Yeah, the weapon is another thing I overlooked because of the specifics of Chapter 9 (the first one was Konoko's default position).
func BossSpawn(string name, string team) doesn't chr_inv_reset(name) but it obviously should in Barabas's case: add that.

Instead of chr_teleport 0 0306 you should really be able to use TeleportByTeam char_0 Konoko in TCTF HQ. Try again smile

#21 07/01/07 10:07

EdT
Website

geyser: Thanks for the tips, it works.

Renegade for the TCTF level

EDIT: Made a slight change.

Last edited by EdT (07/03/07 20:07)

#22 07/01/07 11:07

s10k
Website

EdT wrote:

geyser: Thanks for the tips, it works.

Renegade for the TCTF level

Nice I will try. tongue

#23 07/16/07 01:07

azewrath

What if i'm having OTA in the Tctf level? Can i put the vampire files in there 2?

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#24 07/16/07 10:07

geyser
Website

What if i'm having OTA in the Tctf level? Can i put the vampire files in there 2?

Your question is not clear. Do you want to combine OTA and Renegade into a single mod?
If that's what you want then yes, it's totally possible. But there's some scripting required.

First off, copy the OTA files and the renegade files in the same "tctf" folder.
There should be no filename conflicts.
You may also scan the files for function name conflicts. There shouldn't be any.

Now, open both files where the "main" functions are, and rename those main functions.
The "func void main(void)" that came with OTA you can rename to "func void ota_main(void)"
The "func void main(void)" that came with Renegade you can rename to "func void renegade_main(void)"
Now you only have to write a new "func void main(void)" that calls either of the 2 depending on the SP.
Create a new text file in "tctf" called "switcher.bsl" (or anything you like) and edit it as follows:

func void main(void) {
if(save_point) fork arena_main
else fork renegade_main
}

If you have done everything right, you should now be able to choose from Renegade and OTA ingame.
Just load SP0 for Renegade and any other SP for OTA. If you need better/further instructions, just ask.

Last edited by geyser (07/16/07 10:07)

#25 07/17/07 02:07

azewrath

all right!! thx alot wink

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

Board footer