Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/13/09 09:07

Leus
Website

Uh oh.

So I just did the OniSplit XML tutorial where you give Konoko the supershield, tested it out in TCTF Redux and everything seemed to work alright.  Then I was trying to figure out what the BGI characters were called so I could maybe find them in the level0 folders, but I never got that far because when I opened the Warehouse to cycle through characters, I took two steps forward and blam!  Oni crashed.  I tried this a couple times, loading different save points and whatnot, even setting the modified XML file back to its original status of no super shield in the level0_Characters folder but Warehouse still crashes.  I tested level 2 and 13 and they still seem to be working, so I'm thinking it's probably only the Warehouse level that still crashes.  Maybe it's not related to my XML experiments at all; I also did the tutorial for basic scripting yesterday where you spawn people in the training room, but I replaced all the original BSL files back in the EvnWarehouse folder before today.  So, I dunno.  Any ideas?

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#2 07/13/09 09:07

Leus
Website

Re: Uh oh.

Wuh woh......

It's crashing on all levels now if I try to cycle characters past Shinitama.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#3 07/13/09 09:07

Leus
Website

Shit, it's just crashing all over the place.  sad

#4 07/13/09 10:07

EdT
Website

Which version of AE were you using?  The original or the latest one that has the packages?

#5 07/13/09 10:07

paradox-01

I'll take a look on it. Right now I think it crashed because the file didn't replaced it's original. level0_Character don't provide the other resources for the modified BGI ONCC.

Edit: Ah, no. I see ONCC are stored separately but imported into the same archive.

Last edited by paradox-01 (07/13/09 10:07)

#6 07/13/09 12:07

Leus
Website

I'm using the latest version of AE.  Maybe I should have done something different 'cause the tutorial is outdated?  It was telling me to use the level0_Final folder but I found the file in question in the level0_Characters folder and just went with it from there...

#7 07/13/09 12:07

Iritscen

Hmm, you can't really mod the latest AE with the old directions.  Well, you can, but it's not a good idea.  You should either:
(a) set up your own separate Oni installation where you exported the level you wanted to mod, and then just alter those files and recombine the levels like it used to work with the AE, or
(b) create packages (the instructions are in the AE forum) for your WIP mods so they can fit into the new AE system.

Also, I hope you are storing your modding work outside of Oni in an organized way, and copying the files into the GDF to test them.  That way you can't lose your work if the GDF goes bad and you have to wipe it and start over (which has happened to all of us).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#8 07/13/09 13:07

paradox-01

But I still think it's strange. When you cut an BGI ONCC from the package and put it into level0_Character then recombining level0_Character over an AE mod install won't import the ONCC. Recombine level0_Character not over AE installer and it's getting worse like Leus reported.
Oh well, let's make a nice warning on the tutorial page and then this will be history...

#9 07/13/09 14:07

Iritscen

If you mod a folder like Level0_Character in the GDF of the new AE directly and recombine it (-import), and run Oni, you will only see your own mod in effect.  If you mod the GDF directly and then install a mod with the Installer, you will see only the AE mod, not your own.  Mutual exclusion.  That's why Leus would need to make a package if he wants to work with the new AE.  The good side effect of this new process is that having to make packages for one's modded files forces one to be organized smile

#10 07/13/09 19:07

Leus
Website

Can anyone send me the ONCCk4_L.oni file?

#11 07/13/09 20:07

Iritscen

Here you go: http://iritscen.oni2.net/temp/ONCCk4_L.oni

That's the version found in the latest AE under 21000UpgradedONCCs.  Don't forget to hold onto the latest Edition in .zip form so you can always reinstall if things go south.

#12 07/13/09 21:07

Leus
Website

Thanks man, appreciated, but things have gotten even worse...

I replaced my file with that one, ran Oni and it still crashed like usual.  So I went into Edition/install and re-ran AEInstaller and now it's doing the same problem I had initially where I double click Oni and nothing happens...

Hmmmmmmmm...

#13 07/13/09 21:07

EdT
Website

Leus:  Have you tried starting from scratch?  A fresh install of the original Oni and then running AE.

#14 07/13/09 21:07

Iritscen

You want my advice?  Start over, man, it's a lost cause neutral

But I do sense that you (like everyone else) probably does not know how the new AE actually functions.  It's quite different from how it used to work, and it's important for modders to understand.  I've been planning to write something up on the wiki about it.  Let me bang out a rough draft before I go to bed, maybe it will help.  Ideally we would have had this stuff ready for the AE release, but it was hard enough to get the actual release finished in a timely manner, so unfortunately the documentation had to take a back seat.  I'll update this post when I've written the draft up.

Edit: Heh, simulpost.  It seems that two out of two modders agree, as they might say in a commercial.

Edit 2: Okay, go to the Anniversary Edition page on the wiki ("AE" is a handy redirect to enter in Go/Search, btw) and look for the "About the Framework" link on the side.  Hopefully that will help you understand the flow of data so you know why you are getting certain results.

#15 07/14/09 08:07

Leus
Website

sad  I moved to Florida from Washington state and I wasn't able to find either of my copies of Oni beforehand...  So I kind of can't reinstall it...  Damn.  I'll keep trying...  Maybe if I just delete my Edition folder and try just re-installing the edition...

#16 07/14/09 08:07

Iritscen

Your basic Oni folder should still be clean as long as you've only ever modded the Edition GDF.

I moved to Florida from Washington state

Whoa!  o.O

#17 07/14/09 08:07

Leus
Website

Well, it seems to be working alright now, except for some reason I didn't take the time to put my IGMD in a backup folder and instead just copied it with intent to paste it once the Edition was reinstalled, and now I guess I must have copied something else or something inadvertently because it won't paste.  Oh well, I've still got all the mods, I'll just have to move them into the folders again if I ever want to play them.

Also, yeah, it was quite the move.  Although I did live in the rural lowlands of Guatemala for two months last summer; that was even more of a move, albeit temporary.

#18 07/14/09 09:07

Iritscen

Leus wrote:

Well, it seems to be working alright now, except for some reason I didn't take the time to put my IGMD in a backup folder and instead just copied it with intent to paste it once the Edition was reinstalled, and now I guess I must have copied something else or something inadvertently because it won't paste.

Not sure I get quite what happened there, but if you need a new IGMD folder, just ask; there's a copy we've made available for download, since the IGMD has often become a casualty of modding.

Also, yeah, it was quite the move.  Although I did live in the rural lowlands of Guatemala for two months last summer; that was even more of a move, albeit temporary.

Wow, you get around.

#19 07/14/09 10:07

Leus
Website

Oh, I just meant that I copied my old IGMD folder because I had all the mods in various sub-folders in each of the levels (like compound/Arena, for example) but I somehow was unable to paste it again once I re-installed, but the most important thing is that I can play Oni again.  smile

Board footer