Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/22/09 14:09

Leus
Website

Character creator

This is just a suggestion.  I have no knowledge of programming, but I could potentially see this as not being too terribly hard to pull off...  Just let me know if I'm wrong.

Okay, I think it would be cool to have a program that automatically created a custom character script for you.  You would be able to choose from a list of moves to fill certain slots (like kicks, back kicks, throws, etc) in your character.  Obviously two combos that use the exact same keys couldn't both be used.  You would be able to choose an existing model for your character.  Maybe you could even choose sounds for it, like taunts/injury/death.  Finally you would have to name your character, and once you were fully set up, you would press "CREATE" or something and it would produce a script for you to use in an XML/ONI file.

Do you think this sounds like a good/feasible idea?  Is my idea clear?  Sometimes I can just ramble incoherently.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#2 09/22/09 15:09

Gumby

Re: Character creator

Well, someday we would like to have a full GUI to interact with XML\Oni files. smile Its not that I don't want to do it, its just that I can only work on so much at once. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 09/22/09 15:09

Leus
Website

I understand, lol.  I guess maybe it's more work than I'm imagining.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#4 09/22/09 18:09

Mukade

i agree, it's possible, but it would take some work, and extensive programming knowledge

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#5 09/22/09 19:09

Iritscen

Technically, we've already been planning some sort of GUI editor that would allow this kind of thing, but with such a limited number of programmers, we have to focus first on the AE and Flatline.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 09/22/09 20:09

Mukade

Flatline >_>??

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#7 09/22/09 20:09

Gumby

Multiplayer. smile

#8 09/22/09 20:09

myplea1

awsome man too bad im not skilled else i could help >.< if u ever get mulltiplayer out i will be happy for the next year just playing oni
And the Charecter Creator would be a PERFECT fit for multiplayer

Last edited by myplea1 (09/22/09 20:09)

Awol

#9 09/22/09 20:09

Leus
Website

And the Charecter Creator would be a PERFECT fit for multiplayer

I was thinking the same thing.

It would have to be balanced though, like every move would have to be assigned a point value and then your character could only have so many points worth of moves so you couldn't make a character that was too strong.  Maybe the moves could also be tweaked and balanced to be more equal in power?  I dunno.

#10 09/22/09 21:09

Mukade

that does make sense smile
after Flatline comes is finished, i suppose that could be the next big project
I wish so badly i could help D:

Last edited by Mukade (09/22/09 21:09)

#11 09/22/09 21:09

Leus
Website

I feel like Flatline is gonna take way more time and work than any sort of GUI/scripting program like this.  Is that a fair assumption?

#12 09/22/09 21:09

Mukade

this thing has been underway for quite some time now, before i came on this forum a long time ago, before i came active again a couple months ago... give a percent Gumby to the best that you can, what percent would u say youre done?

#13 09/22/09 21:09

Gumby

Leus wrote:

I feel like Flatline is gonna take way more time and work than any sort of GUI/scripting program like this.  Is that a fair assumption?

It depends on how fancy you want your scripting program to be. wink But yes, it will take more time and work. However, once I get an alpha\beta working, I might work on this a bit. No promises.

Mukade wrote:

this thing has been underway for quite some time now, before i came on this forum a long time ago, before i came active again a couple months ago... give a percent Gumby to the best that you can, what percent would u say youre done?

Not much. We are still lying the foundation, per say. We have the networking code in, but nothing is being done with it.

#14 09/22/09 21:09

Iritscen

It's not so much a matter of looking at how long a certain project would take to develop, Leus, as it is that the tools we have now are basically sufficient for doing everything (except level editing and animation importing, which are WIP).  A GUI editor would be slightly overkill for a small community like ours.

Imagine, instead, if we first released a multiplayer patch, and the community grew exponentially (as I think it might).  We would probably attract a number of players who were experienced modders, and who would have a use for a general-use GUI modding tool.  A specific tool for a character creator, in contrast, would be a bit too... well, specific to be worth the development time.  We would rather just wait until the time is right to release a comprehensive GUI editor, which would be when there are more people to take advantage of it.

That being said, if we have experienced programmers come along before then, we might have the manpower to develop the editor alongside Flatline, which would be ideal since we would have the tool ready by the time the community started growing.  We'll see what happens in the next few months, as I speak to a few Oni fans who know programming.

#15 09/22/09 22:09

Leus
Website

I wouldn't want the program to be pretty or anything.  Like it'd be cool to just be able to have like maybe just a basic character sheet outline like...

NAME

---

MODEL

---

HEALTH

---

MOVES

---

---

---

---

---

SOUNDS

Hurt

---

---

---

Taunt

---

---

---

Die

---

---

---

Or something.  You could even have those --- spots as just blank strings that you can just type anything to, and then provide with the program a list of possible things you could type into each slot.  And then when you press CREATE just have whatever is typed into the --- spots just be put in the proper place in a character script, so if it's gibberish it won't work but if it's real shit it will.

*Shrug*  I guess I could just try and figure out how to look in the files and edit them myself, but I'm scared 'cause last time I tried that I totally fucked up Oni, just doing the basic XML tutorial on the Wiki.

#16 09/22/09 22:09

Leus
Website

Makes sense, Irit.  I'll just look into it on my own when I feel like I'm ready to dedicate to it.

#17 09/23/09 06:09

demos_kratos

well, creating a GUI is not that hard, you know. the only annoying thing is big amounts of routine code. See my OniSplit GUI source smile anyway, it's a good idea to create an automatic %anything% but
<GeyserMode>
if we make everything done "in three buttons" it will lower the bar that every modder must overcome so we'll have many unqualified modders that do nearly nothing.
</GeyserMode>
smile

Last edited by demos_kratos (09/23/09 06:09)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#18 09/23/09 07:09

Iritscen

Leus, the GUI you designed strongly resembles what it looks like to edit an XML wink  If we're going to make a GUI editor, it's going to be a serious deal, with popup menus, checkboxes, radio buttons, etc. that present the possible options to the user, or else it won't be much more user-friendly than exporting and importing XML.

demos_kratos wrote:

well, creating a GUI is not that hard, you know. the only annoying thing is big amounts of routine code.

Right, and it's not very efficient to write the foundation for a program that only edits one file type.  We need to save our time/energy for something that will reap larger benefits.

<GeyserMode>
if we make everything done "in three buttons" it will lower the bar that every modder must overcome so we'll have many unqualified modders that do nearly nothing.
</GeyserMode>

Yes, this was always geyser's retort.  But I think the advantage of not having to explain as much to newbies to walk them through XML editing outweighs the disadvantage of having some newbies use a convenient tool to make no-effort mods.  It also makes the community look better to have easy-to-use tools.

#19 09/23/09 08:09

Leus
Website

Leus, the GUI you designed strongly resembles what it looks like to edit an XML wink

Yeah I was noticing that, but I guess in my mind with this program I wouldn't have to figure out exactly what to do to make it work and not mess up Oni.  But, I'll figure it out on my own someday.  smile

Board footer