Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/22/09 07:08

Shade

Scripting video tutorials?

Will it be possible if one day someone can make a modding video tutorial to show everyone even the new modders/scripters how to make their own mods for Oni? I think that will be great if anyone has free time to do it. That will be really help to the new people who are starting to learn how to script them. Though I could do it my self but apparently I'm still learning lol. And the reason why I haven't been on here in awhile is because Schools about to start etc and I wont have time to get into all of this stuff. Be busy with School work, trying to graduate High School, getting into College, etc. Though I think the idea will help out allot of people.

#2 08/22/09 11:08

love_Oni

Re: Scripting video tutorials?

Interesting idea. I will look at modding TRAM tutorial later.  smile

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#3 08/22/09 11:08

Iritscen

Re: Scripting video tutorials?

I'm not sure how much material there would be to make a video of.  Scripting is just "open a text file and type BSL in it".  The real question is, "How do I learn BSL?" and that's not something a video can teach.  It requires some solid reading, no way around it.

And back when we used command-line tools, I might have supported the idea of a video tutorial, but now almost everything can be done using a GUI, so it's just "click this button, click that button".  We do need better textual tutorials on the wiki to explain the overall process of modding, but those are slowly coming together.  The problem with video tutorials is that they have to be completely redone if something changes.  Text on the wiki is much easier to update.

(And if geyser were here, he would have a comment about how videos "lower the bar" for modders by not encouraging them to be studious individuals; sometimes a barrier to entry is a good thing, when it's not excessive, because it weeds out the people who aren't serious.  Well, that's what geyser would say.)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer