Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/04/09 12:08

ViciousReilly

Textures with alpha

Hey guys,

Was wondering if I could get any insight about textures that have an alpha channel in the game. So an example would be the smoke clouds on the floor of the training room, or the yellow indicators that show up underneath the computer terminals.

So my question is, do I have to export these with a special command for onisplit to get the alpha to work? Or is the alpha channel supposed to just register if I export out a 32 bit TGA?

Thanks,

-VR

#2 08/04/09 12:08

Iritscen

Re: Textures with alpha

This area is far from my forté, but I think that when it comes to textures, exporting is exporting, and there are no special options you can use (unlike when importing).  Alphas should just be there.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/04/09 13:08

ViciousReilly

I am sorry, I meant to say importing not exporting. Like when you do your conversion to a .oni file, anything special you need to add to the command line?

#4 08/04/09 13:08

Iritscen

Oh, heh.  Well, first let me correct myself, because the recommended way to export textures is -extract:xml, not -extract:tga, and here's why that's actually very relevant to your question: -extract:xml gives you the usual TGA, plus an XML file with the format flag set properly.

When you are ready to re-import, you use -create:txmp on the XML (while it's still in the same folder as the TGA).  This method preserves the original format of the TXMP so you don't have to worry about the bit depth and alpha bit depth options that -import:txmp would need.

#5 08/04/09 13:08

ViciousReilly

Ok, I will give it a shot.

Thanks!

#6 08/04/09 13:08

Iritscen

Lol, fast response.

#7 08/04/09 14:08

demos_kratos

Iritscen - "the recommended way to export textures is -extract:xml, not -extract:tga"

<offtop>
so the "Textures" tab in GUI is no more necessary?
</offtop>

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#8 08/04/09 14:08

Iritscen

I'm not sure how the tab works, being a Mac user.  If you're asking if the ability to use -extract:tga should be removed from your GUI, I would say, "It's up to you".  It's not a deprecated feature; it's simply that -extract:xml is a smarter way to work with textures.

#9 08/04/09 14:08

demos_kratos

OH SHI--. Forgot yer using a mac. Guess I'll have to wait if some PC'sters will come up.

P. S. I thought Sun Microsys's released VM for Mac. Not really sure if it can emulate an x86...

Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?

#10 08/04/09 14:08

Iritscen

They did, and I keep meaning to try it out, but I haven't yet.  I actually can run Windows two other ways already, but one way eats all my RAM and the other way requires a reboot.

#11 08/04/09 15:08

demos_kratos

<really-really offtop, pig-iron bomb and post erasing can be required, maybe should go IM>

There are some so-called "Mac OSx86" distribs, but I have kernel panics during install and VM is babbling smthing 'bout "wrong AHCI". But I'm not asking you 'bout those problems. Is there an opportunity to launch Mac's Oni on AMD PC?

</offtop>

Last edited by demos_kratos (08/04/09 16:08)

#12 08/04/09 16:08

Iritscen

You're talking about setting up a Hackintosh?  I'd be surprised if that worked on AMD, but I don't really know.

#13 08/04/09 16:08

Gumby

It does work on AMD, my computer is an AMD. I think I used Leo4All. I couldn't be bothered to find compatible video drivers, and I know there aren't proper network drivers, so I never took it any further.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer