Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/02/07 09:04

geyser
Website

GUNNM Martian Memory

People often ask whether there has ever been a game like Oni.
THERE IS (review). THERE REALLY IS (gameplay).

It's the full story of Kishiro's GUNNM aka Battle Angel Alita. Playable.
I think you'll agree that graphics and atmosphere is very similar to Oni.

Of course, it's a very old PS1 game. Released only in Japan. In 1998. 90 bucks on eBay (w/ shipping)
But, if Cameron's Battle Angel (IMAX CG trilogy) is indeed developed in parallel with a video game...
And if the game is anywhere close to Martian Memory... I have a feeling Oni will be back in fashion.
Actually, the developing team could just as well save a lot of work by building off Martian Memory...

EDIT: Another review
Translated storyline

EDIT2: Huh. A free PSX emulator that just might handle the baby smile
But at 90 or even 50 bucks for the game, it wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited by geyser (04/04/07 09:04)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 04/03/07 15:04

Phydur

Re: GUNNM Martian Memory

As a handy tip, my friend managed to play a japanese game on an american ps1.
(the big original one) i dont know if it'll work with other versons, but it dosent requre any modding at all...
i dont remember the details exactly, but all you do, is place in a working game, and after it starts up, (this is the exact part i dont remember) but before the game starts, open it up, and replace the game with the japanese game.
it's been a while, so i dont remember excatly, and i dont know if it'll work on the pal verson or whatnot, but someone can try it, and confirm it...

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#3 04/03/07 16:04

dez_zt

all you do, is place in a working game, and after it starts up, (this is the exact part i dont remember) but before the game starts, open it up, and replace the game with the japanese game

You need a "swap magic" kit to do this.

#4 04/03/07 18:04

Tosh
Website

If a cheaper auction of the game ever arises, I have a PlayStation debug unit. smile (region free)
Cause it does look pretty good.

EDIT: There are a few for 50$ but that's still too expensive. :X I've already wasted enough money! >__>;

Last edited by Tosh (04/03/07 18:04)

#5 04/04/07 22:04

Phydur

dez_zt wrote:

all you do, is place in a working game, and after it starts up, (this is the exact part i dont remember) but before the game starts, open it up, and replace the game with the japanese game

You need a "swap magic" kit to do this.

i'm not sure, but as far as i know, the playstation was unmodded... i'd have to ask, though.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#6 04/04/07 22:04

Tosh
Website

Swap Magic isn't a mod, it's just a kit to do exactly what you described.

#7 04/05/07 09:04

geyser
Website

Wonder if Swap Magic (or a sensible substitute) is applicable for emulators, or if it's all fingers-crossed for Japanese CDs then.
The 50-bucks deal (not an auction bid, BTW) is in France. So I could probably mail the seller and save a lot on shipping.
As for the exorbitant price of a copy, I wouldn't say it's likely to drop since the game already has the status of a rarity.
And apart from being a collector's item, it got good reviews : so, an actually good game, not some messed-up oddity.
Thus I see no reason why they wouldn't keep charging full price for Martian Memory. The situation with Oni is different.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 04/05/07 12:04

Tosh
Website

You don't need swap magic for an emulator.. emulators are region free. tongue Regioning is just a simple check by the BIOS or hardware to see if the region on the CD/cart matches; which emulators either neglect to add or disable.

In any event, that's a shame the price won't likely go down.. but I may get it yet, just not now.. I need to get a job first. :3

#9 04/05/07 14:04

Last_Hero

The hard part with emulating a PSOne (from my experience) is finding a BIOS, since most people don't bundle the BIOS with the emulator, at least not the only working emulator I found.
That was last year sometime.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#10 04/05/07 15:04

geyser
Website

Indeed, pSX doesn't provide the BIOS to avoid (most) legal issues, and has you get it "elsewhere" (is it really hard to find? smile )
Same for the game Martian Memory. As we all know, it's more convenient to play without a CD in the drive whenever possible.
pSX lets you play from an actual PSX CD, or from a mounted image. And the said image may well be available "elsewhere" smile

Last edited by geyser (04/05/07 15:04)

#11 04/05/07 16:04

Tosh
Website

(REDO neutral )
The PSX bios isn't too hard to find, I've got a link somewhere..
Just look for a list of MESS BIOSes
Oh and hey, there are some GUNNM torrents floating around.
EDIT: Torrents aren't working, though I found an HTTP link.... (removed neutral )

EDIT..3?:
Okay so I'm playing it on my PSX and just got through the first battle. It's fun, but the combat isn't nearly as fluid or responsive as Oni. sad Though the attacks and combos and stuff are pretty similar.
A nice edition to this is you can dash a lot easier, and dash side to side as to avoid the enemy.
Also the camera is a LOT different; it's a fixed, slightly overhead view. :X

I'm not far yet but it's fairly fun. The level design is a little bland though.

Last edited by Tosh (04/05/07 19:04)

#12 04/05/07 19:04

Last_Hero

Well, finding the *correct* BIOS for what I needed, I kept finding everything apar from PAL ones.

#13 04/05/07 19:04

Tosh
Website

Why would you need the PAL one? GUNNM is NTSC-J.
If you find a MESS BIOS list (there are plenty) they have every PSX bios.
Though I hear the MESS PSX plugin doesn't run commercial games yet.

#14 04/05/07 19:04

Last_Hero

I meant when I was using the emulator, to play my friends copy of FFVII on my laptop I needed PAL BIOS.

#15 04/05/07 21:04

EdT
Website

Tosh: With your expertise on "finding things" you ought to find the Source Code for Oni! :-)

#16 04/05/07 22:04

Tosh
Website

xD I'm looking....

Also I figured out how to do this battle engine, you gotta press select to target the enemy, then you can attack!
So it is more responsive and fluid than I'd initially thought.
Also.. square,square,square,x is crescent kick. smile

Board footer