Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/19/07 17:03

Marlin

3d textures change ingame on OS X

hello new here, and I'm having problems with running Oni on mac OS X.
It runs prefectly in OS 9, But when I use it on OS X (even with the 1.36 patch) the textures will change radomly from everything from 3d textures to the hud itself and the last time I tried it EVERYTHING went like rainbow, even the main menu went bersrk, when I start the game everything is normal, but after awhile things just start changing, some times the textures will change and then switch back to normal textures, like strikers will have konoko's leg textures, arms, body etc... and somtimes go blank white, I will try to get a screen shot to show you guy's what I mean but I think you guys get the idea, right?

I have an imac 400mhz,
ATY Rage128VR graphics card AGP
192MB ram
OS 10.3.9
etc etc bla bla bla....

EDIT: here's a "small" example of what I mean

Last edited by Marlin (03/19/07 18:03)

#2 03/19/07 18:03

Marlin

Re: 3d textures change ingame on OS X

I mean here

Last edited by Marlin (03/19/07 23:03)

#3 03/19/07 20:03

geyser
Website

No attachments. Make sure you're doing everything right.
Phydur had a similar problem, and Harry was able to fix it.
Err, problem with attachments not working, I mean.

As for the textures going round and round... I absolutely want to see a screenshot... Sounds cool...
I have no advice but to try and reinstall Oni and make sure you use OMNI's OS X engine port.
Also make sure your ATI's driver is up to date. And have a look at the startup.txt file.

A behavior as dramatic as what you describe can be due to faulty GFX drivers, or to a corrupt Oni engine.
Although it's unlikely that a corrupt executable would screw up the textures and run fine otherwise.

EDIT: Attachment worked for me, so your problem may be like Phydurs. Are you using Safari (Phydur wasn't)?

Last edited by geyser (03/19/07 20:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 03/19/07 23:03

Marlin

yes I am using safari, I have a screenshot but the attachments are not working, maybe I can just send you an e-mail? I'll try IE for now and see if that works.

I will try updating my gfx card driver as you suggested or maybe reinstall oni... but I don't think reinstalling will do any good because the game runs fine under the OS 9 platform (not OS 9 emulation, still has same effect just much slower) as I said I'm using OMNI's port (version 1.36) but still doesn't change anything except it runs more smoothly.

Last edited by Marlin (03/20/07 00:03)

#5 03/20/07 00:03

geyser
Website

The GFX drivers are specific to the OS, aren't they? So there can be a problem with those used by OS X.
If you run the same copy of Oni (same resource files) under Classic and X, and under Classic it runs OK, then the problem can't be with the game data.
So it's no use to reinstall Oni. You might try to re-download and re-extract OMNI's engine, though. And the drivers. And a copy of startup.txt, please smile

As for the screenshot: my email is listed on my "Website" (link under my avatar).

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 03/20/07 01:03

Marlin

e-mail sent, I don't know if this could be the problem, but I have two diffrent partitions set up, one mac extened, and the other is UFS I have the oni is on the mac extened and the OMNI app on the UFS do you think this might have somthing to do with it? or maybe its the openGL drivers?
I don't know, I tried updating my gfx card driver but I couldn't find the right ones. so I'm out of ideas

here's the graphics portion of the startup.txt

setting up 3d engine...
creating new OpenGL context
OpenGL platform initialization
Attempting resolution change to 640x480x16
OpenGL vendor = ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer = ATI Rage 128 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL version = 1.1 ATI-1.3.28
OpenGL extensions = GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGI_color_matrix
multitexturing is available ...
multipass being used
OpenGL supports 2 texturing units
Initializing the Oni Window...
displaying splash screen...
configuring console...
Opening movie 'GameDataFolder/intro.bik' ...
Could get CFString: GameDataFolder/intro.bik
BinkOpen(, 0) -> 0x04140040
Opening movie 'GameDataFolder/intro.bik' ...
Could get CFString: GameDataFolder/intro.bik
BinkOpen(, 0) -> 0x04140040
BKrMovie_Play starting play loop
engine startup complete, launch the out-of-game UI...
out-of-game UI exited...
running game...

Last edited by Marlin (03/20/07 01:03)

#7 03/20/07 13:03

geyser
Website

1) At this moment, I still haven't got any mail from you...

2) startup.txt doesn't hint at any texture-related problem. You can try to have a look at debugger.txt and see if there's anything interesting.

3)
"extened"?
Did you copy the game data from the non-UFS partition to the UFS partition?
If yes, you may want to check the integrity of the data on the UFS partition.
(basically, to reinstall Oni) Since the engine can also be the problem,

The GFX hardware and drivers are the primary suspects, though.

There are "universal installers" for Mac that are supposed to detect supported hardware and upgrade the drivers as needed.
However, it is generally not recommended to upgrade GFX drivers that way on the Mac (because of possible conflicts with the OS).
Maybe get a system update, or even upgrade to 10.4. If the problem persists, a Mac user could help you better than me, probably.

#8 03/20/07 14:03

Marlin

well as far as gfx updates go theirs nothing I can do... I looked into it and drivers come standard with OS X, but I think one issue might be is the lack of support for the older ati rage 128 cards, I think opengl 1.1 is as far as it goes. but I will try moving the oni to the UFS partition and see if that works.

but the debuger.txt had alot to say:

### warning: particle class 'w3_phr_e01' emitter 5 can't find emitted particle 'w3_phr_p08'

### warning: particle class 'flame2_e' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'test_smoke'

### warning: particle class 'pstream_shooter' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'w_pstream_shot2'

### warning: particle class 'm_block' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle 'm_p01'

### warning: particle class 'muroglow_e01' emitter 2 can't find emitted particle 'muroglow_p02'

### warning: particle class 'phase_shot' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01a' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud01_p01b' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p01' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

### warning: particle class 'env_cloud02_p02' emitter 1 can't find emitted particle ''

failed to locate instance TC_mach_tube

failed to locate instance TC_cren_long

failed to locate instance V_civcar_red

failed to locate instance TC_mach_big

failed to locate instance U_office_data2_long

failed to locate instance TC_mach_stapler

failed to locate instance TC_mach_stapler

failed to locate instance U_office_data_long

failed to locate instance TC_mach_mainframe

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_seg1b

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_dmg2

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_L3

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_damL1

failed to locate instance U_office_data_long

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_seg3

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_seg3

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_damL3

failed to locate instance U_office_desk_L3

failed to locate instance U_office_data2_long

it continues on and on like this...

#9 03/20/07 14:03

geyser
Website

did you try sending me another mail with the screnshot? I didn't get anything on the gmail account.

debugger.txt:
Those messages are nothing too special. Everyone gets a lot of those during a "normal" Oni session.

How did you end up with an outdated GFX card?
It was sold with your PowerPC while Classic was around?
And then they made OS X and never bothered to support old hardware?
Nice move, nice move indeed... Well then, you're probably screwed neutral

#10 03/20/07 14:03

EdT
Website

merlin: Try changing the game resolution to 32bit.  Currently, you are playing at 640x480x16bit.
You may want to change it to 800x600x32 to see if it makes a difference.

My debugger.txt looks the same.  I'm on 10.4.9.

#11 03/20/07 14:03

Marlin

gayser: I got a failure notice back from yahoo when I sent it. "gayser.too@gmail.com" right?

wow I got the attachment to work! I guess I have to change them from .bmp to somthing else...

Last edited by Marlin (03/20/07 14:03)

#12 03/20/07 15:03

Marlin

here we are thats better....

#13 03/20/07 15:03

Marlin

heres another one

#14 03/20/07 15:03

Marlin

and one more just for good luck

#15 03/20/07 21:03

EdT
Website

Marlin: You need to change the game resolution from 16 bit to 32 bit in the options menu.
Here's an example of the difference at 640x480
16bit.jpg

#16 03/20/07 22:03

Marlin

I tried that it, it did the same thing only after awhile the screen went blank and crashed...:(

I can try it again but the results are the same that or worse.
the changes seem to happen ramdomly somtimes its the player model or enemys models, walls, hud... you name it, most of the time it goes from normal to fucked up, to back to normal again and somthing else fucks up and then switches right back... it really werid... its very inconsistant. I'm starting to think it might just be a bug in OMNI's patch... but it can't be the patch because when I tried using Oni with the OS 9 app under OS 9 emulation it did the same thing...clueless... really... I'm out of ideas... hmm

Edt: what gfx card are you using??

Last edited by Marlin (03/20/07 23:03)

#17 03/20/07 23:03

Marlin

I found this while browsing around from ati driver for my gfx card:
http://www.petitiononline.com/atiapple/petition.html
this guy is forming a petition to make "better" Mac OS X driver support for the "older" ATI gfx chipsets... it basicly says that the opengl driver support is very lacking in this area...

How did you end up with an outdated GFX card?
It was sold with your PowerPC while Classic was around?
And then they made OS X and never bothered to support old hardware?
Nice move, nice move indeed... Well then, you're probably screwed

yes, YOURE CORRECT!

my dad bought this imac about 7 years ago...
so there we have it gentlemen... the coultpert.... is APPLE!

#18 03/21/07 12:03

geyser
Website

@ Marlin: it's "geyser", with an E. Don't bother sending anything now, though.
Looks like Harry really disabled the BMP attachments... makes sense smile

Oh well, Marlin. If you don't set it to 32-bit, it never crashes, right?
I'd say sign the petition, and keep playing the funkiest Oni evah! smile

#19 03/21/07 13:03

Marlin

no, it crashes even "in" 32 bit mode, it usally crashes when I try to exit the game... but its ok I'll just have to switch OS 9 every time I want to play a game... all of my games seem to work great in OS 9 but when I try and play in OS X somthing ALWAYS goes wrong. not just in Oni... but games like UT , and basicly any game that requires "good" opengl rendering... DOES NOT WORK!

so to conclude, I'm thinking of sighing the petition, and Thank you guys for "trying" to help...:cool:

peace,
love,
all that good stuff,
Malin the king of spirals

Board footer