Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 07/31/08 04:07

love_Oni

Re: New Weapons

I don't think this is a good idea but I must ask too: How about making a sword in Oni? Actually, this 'sword' is a kind of rifle, but it isn't used to shoot, it's used to fighting. Do you remember the way that the androids hold guns? We'll make other characters hold this 'sword' in the same way as I mentioned above. Characters who holding 'sword' can inflict more damage when they used punch moves.

Last edited by love_Oni (07/31/08 07:07)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#27 07/31/08 07:07

Iritscen

That's not a bad idea, in the case of, say, a Ninja.  Maybe one head Ninja could have a sword.  And technically, if a sword is doable, then a character could hold a more "realistic" weapon like a baseball bat, too.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 07/31/08 12:07

gzl5000

Iritscen wrote:

That's not a bad idea, in the case of, say, a Ninja.  Maybe one head Ninja could have a sword.  And technically, if a sword is doable, then a character could hold a more "realistic" weapon like a baseball bat, too.

I nominate this idea as TOTALLY AWESOME. Yes please big_smile

#29 07/31/08 12:07

s10k
Website

Iritscen wrote:

A futuristic sword seems better for me. Excellent idea.

#30 07/31/08 13:07

Loser

OK, guys, now I have a question: Does anyone of you (love_Oni, Iritscen, gzl5000) have some possibility to make new animation(s) ? If no, then how would you do this? Make character use clearly punches/kicks and say "no, he is not punching/kicking, he is swinging metal pole/katana/baseball bat" ?

Well, enough of my TRAM overloaded feelings, time for serious stuff: There ARE a few animations which could be used for melee weapon swing. TANRIFkick_heavy, STRRIFpunch_fw, STRRIFcomb_p, KONRIFkick_heavy. VIDEO. If we want decent melee weapon play, then we need more. And here comes my question from the first paragraph.

Plus, how do you want to make these swords actually hurt char? I know, via PAR3. Good. Now...what if blade "clashes" blade?  What? There is no PAR3 - PAR3 collision? Correct. You mean that weapons will be unblockable, blade can go through blade? Bad idea, go play Jedi Academy multiplayer and you will see... (for nitpickers: I mean that JA+ mod, played almost everywhere, which grants you "kinda block" which is 90% useless. Game is usually crazy heck'n slash'n kangaroo, because where is no solid defense, there is only massive ofense. Which is not entertaining, try fightning aganist staffers and you will see).

SO...you want melee weapons in Oni. So do I, trust me. But with current possibilities, it is bad idea. Result would be hack'n slash mindless play. And Oni is unique that it requires skill in order to be good, not left mouse button click'o fest.

If somebody wants to react, please write, maybe there is something I am overlooking. I want melee weapons in Oni same as you.
                                                                                              Loser

P.S.: And how would you teach AI2 how to operate that weapon? Don't forget that it is AI2 which you will fight. There IS some way how to allow gun-wielding AI2 to use PIS/RIF moves (ocasionally they do with w8_mbo), but I don't know how it works. And apart from this, AI2 will fight "normal way" eg. it calls chr_dontaim "char" 1 and fight you with fists. Again, if you want edge to be just "support" in fist fight, why not. But then no poles/katanas, only boxers/knives.

Last edited by Loser (07/31/08 14:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#31 07/31/08 13:07

Gumby

JA+ sucks. MB2 is much better. Sadly, I suck at saber battling. But it does seem realistic, even if they change how it works every new build -_-. I do recommend the mod though.

For the AI2 stuff, just make a knife wielding character and make all his anims "saber" ones, and make the weapon have zero ammo and be undroppable.  Sadly, lack of PAR3 collision does indeed suck.

What could be done however, is dagger sized "blades" made out of the particle system, that could extend out of a character's hands in overpowermode or something similar. There would be no way to block them, but then again, they would be there just for support, and to add more power to overpower...and to look badass. With noone else using these blades, there is no worry about PAR3 collision, you would just have to dodge more and block less to fight him\her. Not something I have time to work on ATM though.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#32 07/31/08 19:07

Iritscen

You're right, Loser, there's so many obstacles (swords clashing, AI knowing how to use them) that maybe nothing short of a rewrite of Oni could do it.  But good idea about the "energy sword", Gumby, that's something a little more doable.  And who knows, maybe we'll see a new Oni engine someday that can do these things *cough* Konoko Payne *cough*.  As if Pierre doesn't have enough to do already.

#33 07/31/08 21:07

EdT
Website

Did someone mention sword???
s1_swd-1.jpg

http://edt.oni2.net/AE_Files/s1_swd.zip

For love_Oni:
http://drop.io/EdT_OniFiles/

Last edited by EdT (07/31/08 22:07)

#34 07/31/08 21:07

Iritscen

!!!!!!!!

Man, Ed, you're full of surprises!  Gotta try this soon....

#35 07/31/08 22:07

love_Oni

Ouch. I can't see anything!

Someone can post the picture again please?

*Loser: I just want to make the 'sword' as simple. Characters hold sword can perform their moves normally, maybe except someones have their moves featured with rifle (sword). By holding sword, they can inflict more damage and look cooler.

Last edited by love_Oni (07/31/08 22:07)

#36 07/31/08 22:07

ONIrules

Darn! I thought the sword will stab enemies when I move towrds them. big_smile

#37 07/31/08 22:07

EdT
Website

love_Oni: Sorry forgot to use photobucket, now you should see it.

What happens if you go to http://oni2.net/

Have you tried using another computer, perhaps at an internet cafe to see if you have the same problem?

It sounds like you are having a network problem, it could be a dns issue, you could have accidently blocked oni2.net in your browser.

You might have to look into using a proxy server.

Last edited by EdT (07/31/08 23:07)

#38 07/31/08 23:07

love_Oni

Owh...Somethings not good. I remember I could go to Script_10k's,some other one's website and your website before but, my computer loads 'oni2' sites (include http://oni2.net) very slow now.

Exactly, when I go to http://oni2.net, I saw the line "ONI2.net - The main resource site for anything related to Oni", with a blank screen and Mozilla Firefox was still loading. A moment after, it stopped, still with a blank screen. (sorry I don't know the word is used to call the software which opens websites)

Ah, I can see the picture now. I'm using the computer in my home. I checked the 'Option' menu, no website was blocked.

So how can I use the proxy sever? What can it do for me?

*Loser: I just want to make the 'sword' as simple. Characters hold sword can perform their moves normally, maybe except someones have their moves featured with rifle (sword). By holding sword, they can inflict more damage and look cooler. Maybe you can take a look at this...

1) This is how Muro looks before:
Muro-before.jpg

2) Now:
Muro-now.jpg

(my artwork is not very good you know tongue)

3) I'm also thinking of adding light to sword (actually it's the electricity), like this:
punch_bk.jpg

4) A sword likes this would be nice big_smile:
punch_rt2.jpg

*EdT: You can make a sword in a very short time. I'm very impressed big_smile!

Last edited by love_Oni (07/31/08 23:07)

#39 08/01/08 00:08

Iritscen

(sorry I don't know the word is used to call the software which opens websites)

I think you mean "browser".

3) I'm also thinking of adding light to sword (actually it's the electricity), like this

Yes, that's a very good idea, love_Oni.

So how can I use the proxy sever? What can it do for me?

I think EdT this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server#Circumventor

Although I've never heard it called a circumventor before, we usually just call it a proxy server.

#40 08/01/08 03:08

Loser

Well, do whatever you want. I don't think it is totally bad idea, I have just doubts. What about sword cutting his own wielder, because anims are not made to fit slashing? You think it will look good?

My opinion on all this melee weapons is this:
If (or when?) we can add new varients, like:
0x0100-right hand melee weapon ("extension" of right fist bone, so right fist is original fist mesh+weapon mesh)
0x0200-left hand melee weapon
0x0400-staff/long pole (extension of right fist, but has different TRAMs, meant to be wielded by both hands)
0x0800-dual wielded weapons (meant as one weapon if found on ground, when picked each hand has its extending weapon mesh)

and make new animations for these varients

and add a few lines to the code:
-while in selected weapon varient (those listed above), selected bone (for example right fist for 0x0100 varient) is taken as both fist mesh AND weapon mesh. So if you set in TRAM that right fist should damage, then damage will be dealt by right fist mesh or by weapon mesh, like if those two were one mesh.
-in attack part of TRAM, we have to add flag 0x10 - attacking TRAM is weapon type, so it acts like standard block if blocking char is in some of those weapon varients mentioned above, but if blocking char is h2h, then TRAM acts as if flag 0x08 was set (deals 1/2 damage+uses normal flash)

THEN I would say it is great idea to make melee weapons (and I would work on it with you).
                                                                                          Loser

P.S.: I know, some of my "improvements" are similar to this idea, but:
Dangerous falling bodies was putted down by me and will be missing in my new TRAM build, because of rasons similar to ones I have against melee weapons: I simply tried to achieve something which CANNOT be done without help of modifying engine and current state is bad. So it is FAIL in the end, I admit it.

3 particle system is heavy on particle system and causes overload if there are many chars+some guns. But this is not exactly the same case as melee weapons because Oni supports me with EVERYTHING I need for this idea to run. Only blue shield is spoiling fun, but that can be tolerated as it quickly erodes when wall-smashed, so you just have to be careful. But if I could then yes, I would do it via engine. Lighter, more ellegant, less buggy.

Last edited by Loser (08/01/08 03:08)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#41 08/01/08 07:08

Iritscen

Does that mean you are or are not using the 3 particle system in the coming Edition?  Because the wall collision is very cool.

#42 08/01/08 10:08

EdT
Website

Even though it will not realistically work, running around with a sword is fun. Kinda of reminds me of that scene from Indiana Jones, where he is faced against an enemy with a big sword and instead of fighting, just shoots him. That's about the value this sword has in the game... big_smile

#43 08/01/08 14:08

Gumby

I still think we need dual pistols...>_>

#44 08/01/08 14:08

Iritscen

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  That's also a good idea.  More in line with Oni, too.

#45 08/01/08 15:08

Gumby

Dual pistols are possible ATM, in the particle\ONWC area, but not possible in the animation area. sad

#46 08/01/08 16:08

Vital Flame

ok, when i put them in the level 0 and recompile the global data. how do i make the gun show up?

#47 08/01/08 17:08

Gumby

press F7 while in dev mode to scroll through the weapons.

#48 08/01/08 17:08

Vital Flame

Its only showing the wepons that the game already had.

#49 08/01/08 19:08

EdT
Website

Vital Flame: To confirm, were you able to install Anniversary Edition?  When you open the GameDataFolder do you see such folders as level0_Final, level1_Final and the .dat, .raw, .sep files for the levels?  Open the level0_Final are there around 12,000 files inside?

If so, then you got Anniversary Edition!

#50 08/01/08 23:08

Vital Flame

yeah i have it

Board footer