Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/29/08 13:06

EdT
Website

Improve the melee profile using .xml

Have you ever wanted to change the style of fighting of a character? Now you can, with a little thought and work.

With the latest beta of OniSplit  Beta5, you can now export and import the file BINACJBOMelee Profile.oni as .xml

Instead of hex editing this:
Bin_r_m2.gif

You can use this:

<Technique>
 <Name>Spinning Suplex</Name>
 <Flags />
 <Weight>80</Weight>
 <Offset_0138>10</Offset_0138>
 <RepeatDelay>600</RepeatDelay>
  <Moves>
   <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="10" ToleranceRange="4.5" />
   <Throw Type="P_Behind" />
  </Moves>
</Technique>

Which is easier??? big_smile

Use the following to export the file.
PC: onisplit_beta -extract:xml xml_dir level0_Final\BINACJBOMelee Profile.oni
Mac: mono OniSplit_beta.exe -extract:xml xml_dir level0_Final/BINACJBOMelee Profile.oni

Once you're done, use this command to import back to Oni (The exact command may vary depending on your setup)
PC: onisplit_beta -create ..\GameDataFolder\level0_Final xml_dir\BINACJBOMelee Profile.xml
Mac: mono OniSplit_beta.exe -create ../GameDataFolder/level0_Final xml_dir/BINACJBOMelee Profile.xml

How can you modify/improve the melee profile?  Here are some tips from Loser:

About melee profile:
    &#9642;    Study MELE_MoveID. Use melee profile 12 (Ninjabot) which has originally 3 techniques so it is easy to try and see what happens if you do this and that(you can modify Ninjabot melee profile so it has only TWO techniques, increasing space for technique's moves).

Then you can try to make your own MELE. I can write here my style of work, for you ^_^:
    &#9642;    Write down(I recommend pencil and paper) ALL ATTACK moves you want this MELE to have.

&#9642;    Think about it and sort it out (use rubber smile) so techniques, which should be used almost 100% in situation which is in favor for them (back throw when this AI stands behind opponent) are more on top. I put on top back throw, then Tackle, then I write moves for non-standard situations (enemy is behind/left/right this AI), in the end getup attacks and disarms. This is what I call basic AI attack techniques. Brutal Konoko V2 has it. Through this AI looks quite smart (sometimes). Under these 'basics' write and sort(more useful=more on top) all other standard face-to-face attacks. I recommend putting throws quite high in this hierarchy.

&#9642;    Now we need AI to move a bit, not only run straight, eh? (BTW this is weakness of Brutal Konoko) So under all attacks, write and sort Maneuver techniques you want this MELE to perform. BEWARE: We are not talking about Maneuver section of MELE, we are talking about Maneuver techniques which are listed as Attack type techniques in  MELE TIPS: Circling and Crouch are useful, short Pause can be good sometimes, usefulness of Advance & Retreat is...up to you ^_^. They can be used in some more complex patterns (don't forget-technique can hold more moves) but as a simple technique those two are a bit useless here IMO. Jump can be used in more complex patterns again. Getup rolls are a bit weird(no parameters, a bit random) but they are good choice.

&#9642;    So we have written and sorted all attack type MELE techniques. Now simply write down all EVADE techniques, that is simple. Warning: Unless we talk about MELE for character with high basic tap jump(ONCC), don't put in jump evades.

&#9642;    Now copy Maneuvers again. These will be Maneuver type techniques. I have to admit I don't know what are Maneuver type techniques good for. But I guess there are some links to ONCC so it is always good to have them.

&#9642;    So..we have rough concept of MELE profile. Now leave it alone for day or two and do something else. Seriously. Then read it again and make changes if you find something that should be better (75% you WILL find somehing ^_^).

&#9642;    Now it is ready to be written as MELE profile. Copy header of some else MELE, change its ID (of course smile). About ONCC link: read MELE.According to Geyser it looks like engine reads TRAC of written ONCC to make sure it will not try to execute non-existent technique(if it finds such a mess it labels that technique as BROKEN, can be seen via CRT+ALT+B in devmode. As BROKEN is labeled any technique which has some errors, including wrong values in moves part etc...).

&#9642;    Set values for blocking, dodging etc...Notice should be always 100%(we are talking about MELE profiles for AE characters, right? So NO ignored attacks). for rest of stuff - use common sense, it is not always the best choice to give everything 100%.  About Not blocked, Must chance stance etc....these are (still not perfectly known) modifiers affecting AI behavior. But I have done some research and they look like modifiers for:

&#9642;    Not blocked- possibility of attack with some technique which shouldn't be blocked by enemy right at the moment (attack with technique which contains move that has 04 in 0x08 position of OBD:TRAM/raw0x14) when enemy is guarding up OR attack with any attack technique if enemy is not guarding himself at all)

&#9642;    Must change stance- possibility of changing stance of this AI for attack or block purposes (crouch/stand)

&#9642;    Blocked but unblockable- possibility of attack with technique which contains move that is unblockable (01 in 0x08 position of OBD:TRAM/raw0x14  http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:TRAM/raw0x14) even if enemy is blocking

&#9642;    Blocked but has stagger- possibility of attacking blocking enemy with technique which contains move that causes block stagger (0x18 in OBD:TRAM/raw0x14)

&#9642;    Blocked but has blockstun- same as above with blockstun (again go to that TRAM part, it is not clear yet what shoud be "blockstun", but I think (observation based on COMCOMpunch_heavy) it is larger value set in 0x16 of that TRAM part)

&#9642;    Blocked- possibility of attack with technique when enemy is standing in proper block (A.K.A "rushing in mindlessly even tough it deals no serious damage")

&#9642;    Throw danger- Not clear yet, but it looks like possibility that this AI will be thrown (so a bit like invisible throw defense IMO)

&#9642;    fill in amounts of techniques (Attack, Evade, Maneuver). Amount of moves not, it will be added later.

&#9642;    Now start creating techniques according to your concept you had prepared. If you did it in order I did, you are just filling it in and it is in correct order (first Attack techniques, then Evade, last are Maneuver).

About flags (0x40 in Technique part of MELE):

&#9642;    01 - Interruptible, this technique can be stopped by engine in the middle of execution (if it has more moves they don't have to be executed) if enemy gets outside some specified range(see below in moves)

&#9642;    02 - Fearless, meaning still unknown (altough I think it will be something with "attack with this technique while enemy attacks" becuase Ninjas have it on their Lightning stomp technique and they tend to use it when you try to attack)

&#9642;    03 - Generous Dir(?ection?), AI can turn with this technique if you try to run left/right.
About weight of technique: I recommend to set highest weight only for back throw or tackle move.

Other techniques should have weight small enough to be sure that highweighted technique has almost 100% of execution when it meets its conditions. "Highest weight" is relative, I sugest to take 100(0x64) as top. Also, weight down less important techniques.

About delays: Use common sense, stronger techniques(special attacks) should have a bit larger delay than regular ones. Also it is good to set really small delay for basic AI attack techniques to make them be ready any time. Overall some delays are must (they keep AI from repeating) but keep it as small as possible.

While writing techniques, fill in number of moves which technique should have. This varies from technique to technique. Every Attack type technique which is really attack or throw should have its proper position move as first move. Positions specify conditions under which this attack can be used. Keep in mind that with wrong position set, attack moves cannot be executed.

In position, we have usually 3 parameters: Min distance|Max distance|Threshold distance. Min|Max is clear, Threshold is used for technique's flags (specifies distance of effect for flags) TIPS: Run#insert direction# is required for running attacks|throws. Close#insert direction# is required for standing attacks performed near enemy(combos, directional kicks/punches)and close throws. StartToCrouch is required for special attacks. Crouch is required for crouching attacks (sweeps).

Every Attack type Maneuver technique can have position move but doesn't have to. For techniques with only one Maneuver move, threshold distance usually specifies distance from enemy required to execute this technique.

Evades doesn't require position but you can limit them with position move (altough it is better to leave engine to decide which dodge to use). These are required to be written after all attack type techniques.

Maneuvers are same as attack type Maneuver techniques. These are required to be written as last techniques.

&#9642;    Now we have written techniques, the last part is moves part. Simply fill in moves as you thought them out when you compiled technique part. Make sure that each technique properly links to its moves part and has proper amount of moves (to avoid stupid delayed crashes ^_^'). After this, count number of moves and write it in "amount of moves" field.

&#9642;    Give this to ONCC this MELE was created for and hope for the best. Good luck with finetuning, it is the worst part smile

Last edited by EdT (07/03/08 18:07)

#2 06/29/08 13:06

Gumby

Re: Improve the melee profile using .xml

Credits go to Loser? big_smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 06/29/08 13:06

EdT
Website

Yes, credits goes to Loser for the Tips and Neo for OniSplit!!!

#4 06/29/08 21:06

coool

Aha~one more interesting thing coming big_smile

and,so many words... hmm

#5 06/30/08 07:06

Loser

UPDATE: due to the bug in moves execution, twister kick(s) and willow kick are possible! Heh, this is the first time I am glad that there IS bug in ONI ^_^. It is not perfect(abuse of bug can't to be 100% accurate...) but still...AI can do it!
How to ? Make attack technique with 3 moves. 1st move is position, make it 0x0C (close forward) and set some nice range . 2nd move is maneouvre move, possiblities are 0x01 (retreat) for willow kick and 0x02 (circle left) or 0x03 (circle right) for corresponding Twister kick. Set first parameter as  BC|74|13|1C (<-this is how it should look in BINA if you read it with OUP or hexeditor) or as 0.009 for OniSplit (EdT ^_^') users. Then set third parameter as 00|00|B4|43, 360 for EdT.
Last move is attack move number...0x17 - kick forward ^_^.

Now character should try to perform these moves(it must have them unlocked). Post video of AI which is twister kicking!
Loser

Last edited by Loser (06/30/08 13:06)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#6 07/03/08 18:07

EdT
Website

Loser: So far, no luck in getting the twister or willow kick to work sad
This is what I tried:

<Technique>
   <Name>Twister Kick Left</Name>
   <Flags />
   <Weight>100</Weight>
  <RepeatDelay>0</RepeatDelay>
  <Moves>
     <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="10" ToleranceRange="5" />
     <Maneuver Type="CircleLeft" Duration="0.5" MinAngle="0" MaxAngle="180" />
    <Attack Type="KF" />
  </Moves>
</Technique>
<Technique>
  <Name>Twister Kick Right</Name>
  <Flags />
  <Weight>100</Weight>
  <Moves>
      <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="10" ToleranceRange="5" />
      <Maneuver Type="CircleRight" Duration="0.5" MinAngle="0" MaxAngle="180" />
      <Attack Type="KF" />
   </Moves>
</Technique>
<Technique>
  <Name>Willow Kick</Name>
  <Flags />
  <Weight>100</Weight>
  <Moves>
      <Maneuver Type="Retreat" Duration="0.75" MaxRange="10" ThresholdRange="4.5" />
      <Attack Type="KF" />
  </Moves>
</Technique>

Last edited by EdT (07/03/08 18:07)

#7 07/04/08 09:07

paradox-01

Does this mean that not even an AI controlled Konoko can do a twister kick? What about the brutal Konoko profile? Does it use twister kick?

#8 07/05/08 00:07

Loser

Sorry, long time no see.

<Technique>
                        <Name>TwisterKick</Name>
                        <Flags></Flags>
                        <Weight>50</Weight>
                        <RepeatDelay>100</RepeatDelay>
                        <Moves>
                            <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="8" ToleranceRange="16" />
                            <Maneuver Type="CircleRight" Duration="0.009" MinAngle="180" MaxAngle="-180" />
                            <Attack Type="KF" />
                        </Moves>
                    </Technique>

<Technique>
                        <Name>WillowKick</Name>
                        <Flags></Flags>
                        <Weight>50</Weight>
                        <Offset_0190>10</Offset_0190>
                        <Moves>
                            <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="8" ToleranceRange="16" />
                            <Maneuver Type="Retreat" Duration="0.009" MaxRange="0" ThresholdRange="40" />
                            <Attack Type="KF" />
                        </Moves>
                    </Technique>

Position ranges are not perfect, it it done just "to make it work". If you want to use these techniques in more sophisticated MELE, you will have to adjust their position moves.
Now about that "bug": Engine executes moves in a sequence. It should execute move, then next, then next...but moves should NOT affect each other. But they do ^_^'.
Try to recall the fact that green striker ocasionally performs headbutt dash (kick special) but he has NO technique for it! That is work of this bug. He was forced to block low attack and right after block ended, engine randomly picked some technique with kick move. But striker was in rising state (from crouch to stand). Result: headbutt dash, correctly performed due to corresponding animation type and state.
And that is what I used to get Twister/Willow kicks.
                                                                                                                     Loser

Last edited by Loser (07/05/08 01:07)

#9 07/05/08 21:07

EdT
Website

Loser: As always, you are the expert!  Now I was trying to get CrescentMoon to work, but I have not been successful.  I thought this should work:

<Technique>
  <Name>CrescentMoon</Name>
  <Flags>Interruptible</Flags>
  <Weight>60</Weight>
  <Offset_08C8>10</Offset_08C8>
  <Moves>
     <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="16" ToleranceRange="4.5" />
     <Attack Type="K" />
     <Attack Type="KK" />
     <Attack Type="KKKF" />
  </Moves>
 </Technique>

Even replacing <Attack Type="KKKF" /> with <Attack Type="KF" /> did not work.

Any ideas?

Last edited by EdT (07/05/08 21:07)

#10 07/06/08 03:07

Loser

Yes, replace your KONCOMcomb_k_k with THIS. It is bug in TRAM, where in second kick animation there is direct link only to third kick (KONCOMcomb_k_k_k) but not to Crescent moon kick (KONCOMcomb_k_k_kfw) as well. We, players, can go round it by pressing forward+kick right in the moment second kick ends, soft pause of ONE frame ends and char is interpolating back to stance animation. Said simply, right when second kick anim ends. But AI2 "thinks" other way. No direct link=no possibility of combo. Well, it can do it, but animation BEFORE this attack must have soft pause ZERO.

P.S.: Your MELE syntax seems to be right. Replace anim and give it a try.

Last edited by Loser (07/06/08 03:07)

#11 07/06/08 10:07

EdT
Website

Loser: The TRAM... I didn't even think of looking at that...  Thanks, its works. 
The correct syntax for Crescent Moon is:

<Technique>
  <Name>CrescentMoon</Name>
  <Flags>Unknown2</Flags>
  <Weight>60</Weight>
  <Moves>
     <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="16" ToleranceRange="4.5" />
     <Attack Type="K" />
     <Attack Type="KK" />
     <Attack Type="KKKF" />
  </Moves>
 </Technique>

Last edited by EdT (07/07/08 20:07)

#12 07/09/08 18:07

EdT
Website

A couple of different attacks:

This works well with Muro, he knocks you down and while you're down you get kicked twice.

<Technique>
   <Name>Shove/Kick Cmbo</Name>
   <Flags>Unknown2</Flags>
   <Weight>20</Weight>
   <RepeatDelay>50</RepeatDelay>
   <Moves> 
      <Attack Type="PF" />
      <Attack Type="K" />
      <Attack Type="KK" />
      <Attack Type="KKK" />
   </Moves>
</Technique>

For those characters without a combo punch/kick attack, but this one is reversed.

<Technique>
   <Name>Kick/Punch Cmbo</Name>
   <Flags />
   <Weight>20</Weight>
   <RepeatDelay>20</RepeatDelay>
   <Moves>
       <Attack Type="K" />
       <Attack Type="KK" />
       <Attack Type="P" />
       <Attack Type="PP" />
   </Moves>
</Technique>

#13 09/18/08 03:09

love_Oni

I would like to modify characters' melee profiles too, but there are many things I don't understand.

These are 2 combat techniques I get from the 'BINACJBOMelee Profile.oni':

<Technique>
                        <Name>Lightning Stomp</Name>
                        <Flags>Unknown2</Flags>
                        <Weight>40</Weight>
                        <Offset_06B8>10</Offset_06B8>
                        <RepeatDelay>600</RepeatDelay>
                        <Moves>
                            <Position Type="StartToCrouch" />
                            <Maneuver Type="BarabasWave" MaxRange="15" />
                        </Moves>
                    </Technique>

First, let see, I want to know, what is the <Flag></Flag> tag used for? Why sometime it's 'Unknown2', sometime it's 'Interruptible', and sometime it's a blank?

<Technique>
                        <Name>Kick Cmbo/Rtrt</Name>
                        <Flags></Flags>
                        <Weight>80</Weight>
                        <Offset_01E8>10</Offset_01E8>
                        <RepeatDelay>60</RepeatDelay>
                        <Moves>
                            <Position Type="CloseForward" MinRunInDist="0" MaxRunInDist="10" ToleranceRange="4.5" />
                            <Attack Type="K" />
                            <Attack Type="KK" />
                            <Attack Type="KKK" />
                            <Maneuver Type="Pause" Duration="0.15" />
                            <Maneuver Type="RandomStop" Chance="50" />
                            <Maneuver Type="Retreat" Duration="0.75" MaxRange="10" ThresholdRange="4.5" />
                        </Moves>
                    </Technique>

Compare those two techniques, I wonder why there is a different between two <Offset> tags, one is the offset 06B8, one is 01E8, and what does the number 10 in the <Offset> tag mean?

Also, what are 'MinRunInDist', 'MaxRunInDist', 'MaxRange', 'ThresholdRange' used for? What is the 'BarabasWave' Maneuver type (in the first technique)?

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#14 09/19/08 21:09

love_Oni

Is there any ideas?

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#15 09/19/08 21:09

Iritscen

To learn about <Flag>, read here about the offset 0x40.

The Offset flags are all unknown information, I believe, so OniSplit just lists their offsets in hex without giving them a label.  There are a number of data that are not understood yet in MELE.

...I can't figure out what the other flags mean.  I can't match them up to anything on the MELE page.  Maybe someone with more experience can tell you.  Otherwise, the best person to ask is Neo.  I don't believe he comes here, so you have to post your questions on his Talk page on the wiki.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#16 09/19/08 23:09

Loser

That "offset" field does something with weight of technique, but exact effect is still unknown.

Those "MaxRunSomething" and "somethingRange" are position moves. They tell the engine from where to where and in which animation state character must be in order to execute this technique. For example, if there is MaxRunIn 5, then this technique cannot be executed while AI2 character is closer than 5 distance units to enemy.

Barabba's wave is maneouver move. In fact it calls kick_heavy attack, but it is treated as maneouver, so it has its range where user can use it. That is because Barabus's Earthquaker has PAR3 splash effect but engine won't execute technique if user of technique is in correct range according to MELE, but extent of attack (in TRAM) does not reach enemy. And Earthquaker has really small extent (just up and down a bit). So it is treated as maneouver, thus extent info is ignored.

And other AI2s can use it as well (calls kick heavy).

BTW I have stron feeling of deja-vu. I have typed exactly this info some time ago, in era of HEXeditors. ^_^

Loser

Last edited by Loser (09/19/08 23:09)

#17 09/20/08 10:09

Iritscen

Maybe you could clear up some of the language on the MELE wiki page.  I know for a fact that I didn't understand Max/MinRunIn until you explained it.  It's not explained on the MELE page at all.  It's to everyone's benefit to improve explanations on those pages so that we can lazily direct people to the wiki whenever they have a question like this :-)  Then you won't have to get deja vu again.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#18 02/19/11 12:02

NoSpEnglish

Hi.
I try editing ONI (anniversary) BINACJBOMelee profile. I have succesfully editing old combos, but not creating new.
I add some 10-15 new combo for MeleId 22,Convert and Complie files in OniSplit, i open the game, load level, and "Oni crashed".
Maybe must increasing moves slot?
If yes, how??

#19 02/19/11 20:02

EdT
Website

I had the same thing happen to me, when I added more combos.  There is some limit to the number of moves that can be in one Melee ID.  You could try deleting some original combos that are lessor in importance, so you can use all your new combos.

Also, try adding one combo, then convert to .oni, test it, then add the next one and so on.  This way you can see how many combos you can add before you hit the limit.

One other thing you could do is create a new melee ID and just include your new combos, then it will be easier to debug your combos.

Once you got the Mellee ID working, please sure to share it with us.

Last edited by EdT (02/19/11 20:02)

#20 02/24/11 06:02

NoSpEnglish

Existing two type of combos: Attack techniques, and Evade techniques. i try delete old Attack combos, and create a new in remain "slots". It's work. But i delete Evade combo, not possible creating a Attack combo in the slot.
In the original BINACJBOMelee Profile, Konoko has 28 Attack technique, and 11 Evade.
My edited BINACJBOMelee Profile, Konoko has 32 Attack technique, and the game is succesfully running. But i add +1 Attack tech, oni crashed. (Konoko's max Attack tech:32)

#21 02/24/11 12:02

EdT
Website

Thanks for the update, now we know 32 is the limit of attacks. How is your new melee? Much better?

#22 02/24/11 14:02

Mukade

Well, I guess that's not too bad. It'll just mean thati f we create new combos, only human players will be able to use most of em.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#23 02/24/11 17:02

EdT
Website

Mukade: You can delete the so-so moves and replace them with the new and improved moves smile

#24 02/25/11 21:02

Mukade

Yeah, but I'm hesitant to do so... although we have seen all those moves, doesn't mean they're any worse :-/

We want more moves, not less, and it would be better to spread them out a bit more anyways

Last edited by Mukade (02/25/11 21:02)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#25 10/01/11 10:10

Loser

Hey guys,

recently I had mood to create something - read "to procrastinate instead of doing univeristy stuff". So I took liberty to redesign melee profiles of strikers (all three variants) and tankers (all three variants). Modified "Melee Profile.oni" file can be downloaded HERE.

I tried to make enemies worth something while not turning them into unbeatable fighting machines at the same time. Apply the mod and give it a shot!
In case anybody wants to see results first, HERE is a YouTube video.

Cheers, Andrashi

Last edited by Loser (10/01/11 10:10)

Board footer