Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/13/08 09:05

love_Oni

How to make a movie in Oni?

First, we need a movie recording program. Yes, I'm using FRAPS, but I still got some problems with it
While I was recording, the game ran very slow. The movie which I got had some odds (colour error) and lag (super lag, i'd say sad).
I checked the number of fps and I set it even to the smallest: 1 fps, but nothing changed at all.

Can you tell me what I should do or should I need an another programs?

Last edited by love_Oni (05/13/08 10:05)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#2 05/13/08 11:05

Iritscen

Re: How to make a movie in Oni?

I'm not the person to answer your question, but I do think that the other Windows-using Oni fans are all using FRAPS.  I know it's supposed to be demanding of the computer, but I don't think it's usually as demanding as what you describe.  Still, maybe there's another better program, others can answer this for you.

On the Mac we use Snapz Pro, which also is demanding of the computer, but it doesn't hurt performance if I capture 640x480 at 50%, at 15fps.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/13/08 14:05

Barneyhater
Website

Hey Iritscen I just downloaded Snapz Pro but when I used it at what you said  (640x480) at 50% at 15fps, it doesnt work. It works fine at the screen but when I load oni, all I see is a big white box on the top left corner and black on the surrounding area. And there is sound.

EDIT: Ok its working sort of, its just in the preview, it looks as if the top left part is cut off and there is still black on the  right and bottom sides.

Last edited by Barneyhater (05/13/08 16:05)

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#4 05/13/08 19:05

EdT
Website

Barneyhater: Be sure that Oni's resolution is also set at 640x480, otherwise Snapz Pro will only capture a part of the screen.

love_Oni: You may also need to play Oni and 640x480 when recording.

#5 05/13/08 23:05

Gumby

If you have Windows, get FRAPS. If you have a multicored system, it doesn't really slow your system to run it. Unless you run Oni at 1920x1080 *cough*.

Also, if you set your fps to 1, it will run very slow. Not matter what. Try 30.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 05/14/08 05:05

love_Oni

Thanks.
I tried to play Oni in '640x480' and the game ran a bit faster. But I still had some problems: color error (I mean there are many 'colorful' lines keeping going up and down in the movies which I recorded) and the files I recorded (.avi files) are too big:
19 MB even I'd recorded for only 12 seconds (the movie which I said about is really funny tongue, but it's pity that I can't post it here)

Last edited by love_Oni (05/14/08 05:05)

#7 05/14/08 08:05

Iritscen

love_Oni, as long as the site works for you, you can post videos to YouTube (I know our Chinese friends can't use it, but maybe that's a China-only problem).  We even have a group for Oni videos: http://www.youtube.com/group/onitoo.  YouTube will automatically resize the video if it's too large.

Then we just post the link to the video we uploaded in the "Movies" thread in the General Discussion forum.

Barneyhater: Which setting are you using for capturing movies?  Are you using Fixed Size, and specifying 640x480?  If so, you don't even need to position that area that you see will be captured; as long as Oni is switching to 640x480 when it runs, those are the 640x480 pixels that get captured, since there aren't any other areas on the screen to capture outside of that.

#8 05/14/08 09:05

love_Oni

love_Oni, as long as the site works for you, you can post videos to YouTube (I know our Chinese friends can't use it, but maybe that's a China-only problem).  We even have a group for Oni videos: http://www.youtube.com/group/onitoo.  YouTube will automatically resize the video if it's too large.

Then we just post the link to the video we uploaded in the "Movies" thread in the General Discussion forum.

Thanks, I'll try. But because my 12-seconds movie file is too big (19MB), so I'll record an 1-2 seconds movie and upload it in the "Movies" thread to show you what exactly the 'color error' which I have (I'm guess it must be 2-3 MB hmm). However, I'm not sure the 12-seconds movie will be very funny, because I just want to show you the 'super jump' which I made by using the SBG smile, not the same way as someone had done before in...  some forums (err, I forgot where that forum is)

#9 05/14/08 10:05

Iritscen

Okay, if you want to do it that way, that's fine, but keep in mind, YouTube is going to re-compress the movie anyway, making it smaller.

#10 06/09/08 09:06

love_Oni

I've just found a software to convert any movie file types to .flv. Now my video is only 1.08 MB and I can post it in YouTube.
See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHoLRn7o9w, and hope you can find some ways to help me solve this problem.

#11 06/09/08 15:06

Kemot722

Why you convert video to .flv? You can send video to YouTube in .avi (DivX) with resolution 640x480 to best results - information from YouTube's FAQ. Sometimes I send video in .wmv, but it's not a good idea (low quality).

I'm back again smile

#12 06/09/08 16:06

Gumby

Converting to flv reduces upload time and ensures that what you see on your computer is as close to what you see on youtube is as close as possible.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#13 06/11/08 07:06

krytek

are you sure youtue resizes these automatically?
i have a 10 minute 250mb clip which i want to upload...

*edit* nevermind....

Last edited by krytek (06/11/08 09:06)

wolfsig22ch0.jpg

Board footer