Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 02/26/07 02:02

Mango

Re: iOni

@Tracker
It looks like he's jumping up and down on the WMC! Very symbolic.
Great job!

@dez_zt
That's also really good. I like how you put that guy on the other side of the chicken-wire. It's good how you put in contrast to show who's on who's side.
Nice background too.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#52 02/26/07 17:02

Tracker

iShinatama.png

Here is another one.
It seems as if Shinatama also likes to dance.

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#53 02/27/07 06:02

Evil Konoko

That iBarbaras is funny...he is dancing...imagine barbaras dancing...rofl.Good Job guys!I would like to make one,but i dont know how to make silohuettes in Photoshop.

Signature died on 5.5. 2006.

#54 02/27/07 16:02

Tracker

I am pleased that you have liked it.

One way to create a silhouette is to use the polygon lasso in combination with the brush tool in black color.

Here is a rough description to draw such pictures in Photoshop.

Creating a background in a ONI related color:
Load a hardcopy with a nice figure (e.g. Barabas).
Use the pipette tool and pick the color of a typical dusty yellow place of his armor.
Then create a new empty picture (e.g. 800 x 600 pixel, 72 dpi) and use the fill tool to color the complete picture with one click in the chosen dusty yellow color.

Creating the silhouette of your figure:
Load the hardcopy again, use the polygon lasso tool and click point for point round the edges of your figure and at last click on the first point again to close the circle.
Now you have marked the silhouette of your figure.
Then use the brush tool and paint over the area of the silhouette in solid black color (RGB:0,0,0).

If the silhouette is already marked you can use edit copy and edit paste to copy the silhouette in the other picture with the dusty yellow background and move it to the place you want.

Then you should create a new empty layer and paint an iPod in a solid white color (RGB: 255,255,255) on it.

At last you should still add the text and save the picture in the PSD format of Photoshop, so that the layers remain unchanged.

Than save another version in the PNG-Format for the forum.

PS: If you work in Photoshop with different layers (for background, silhouette, iPod, Text, or different copies of these), you are able to work on these separated and you can display or remove them when required.

Last edited by Tracker (02/27/07 16:02)

#55 02/27/07 19:02

Fluffy

Tracker's method calls for painting the silhouette black, which is more than unnecessary! Simply go to "Edit menu > Fill..." and select "Black" for "Contents" in the dialog which pops up. Click "OK" and your silhouette is instantly filled for you.

There is, however, another way to create silhouettes. In Photoshop, there is a little something called the pen tool. It creates vectors, which can be resized infinitely with no loss of quality, unlike the simple raster images created using Tracker's method. The method I am describing works in Photoshop 6 and above.

First, open the image you want to work with and open the "Paths" window. Create a new path using the button at the bottom of that window button-newpath.png and select the pen tool tool-pen.png.

As if you were using the polygonal lasso, click on parts of the figure's outline to create a path around it. Click on your original point to complete the path. It is possible to manipulate the points and create smooth curves, but this takes practice and patience and is not really necessary.
If you find that you need to add or remove areas of the path - such as a hand that you missed or a gap in between someone's legs - click on either of these buttons option-addremovepatharea.png (add and remove, respectively) in the options bar (at the top of the screen by default) and outline the area as before.

Create a new document for the final image at whatever size you prefer and fill the background with your chosen colour. Paste the path you created into your new document and go to "Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color...". Click "OK" and the colour picker will appear. Choose your silhouette colour (i.e. black) and click "OK" again. Your silhouette will now appear black.

To add the iPod, you can the same method again; draw it using the pen tool, and make a new fill layer in white.

As I mentioned before, you can resize this silhouette as much as you need/want and the quality of the lines will not be affected.

Last edited by Fluffy (02/28/07 06:02)

#56 02/28/07 05:02

Mango

There's also a pen tool in Adobe Illustrator and InkScape, but apart from that, it's pretty similar, only a bit more straightforward. Just make the line and fill colours black and put a background in.

oniuserbaren4.png

#57 02/28/07 06:02

Fluffy

Actually, it's not essential to make the line (stroke) black as that just increases the size of the silhouette by whatever pixels all around. It will also round off any sharp points that you happen to have made - such as the ends of Konoko's hair spikes - altering the appearance of your silhouette. I think that in this instance it is a better idea to leave the stroke out.

Also, a tip for drawing the wires for earphones is to draw lines using the pen tool without connecting the ends together. Go to "Layer > New > Layer..." and click OK. Select the brush tool and set the master diameter to 2px and hardness to 100% in the options bar. Set the foreground colour to white. Select the path you've drawn for the wires in the paths palette and click the Stroke Path button button-strokepath.png at the bottom of the Paths palette a couple of times.
Be sure to add the wires last, because if you choose to resize the path after applying the stroke, the stroke will not be resized along with everything else and you will have to delete it and add it in again! This is one of the reasons Illustrator InkScape are far preferable to Photoshop when working with vector graphics :\

Last edited by Fluffy (02/28/07 10:02)

#58 02/28/07 12:02

Tracker

@Fluffy
Thank you for your good tips!

Simply go to "Edit menu > Fill..." and select "Black" for "Contents" in the dialog which pops up. Click "OK" and your silhouette is instantly filled for you.

There are different methods in Photoshop to reach the same goal and this one works much easier than mine.:)

@Mango
For vector graphics I use Corel Draw and for pictures an old version 6 of Photoshop.

Last edited by Tracker (02/28/07 12:02)

#59 02/28/07 13:02

geyser
Website

Here are a few productivity tips from a GIMP user (didn't check out Inkscape yet)
*take a screenshot against a uniform enough background (you can replace textures and/or cull stuff with Dev Mode)
*use the "Fuzzy select" or "Select by color" tool to select the area around the character
*convert selection border to Bezier path. Enjoy. Paths scale together with the image when and if you resize it.
Since the background culling can be bothersome, what you can always do is take screenshots in wireframe.
And then select the contiguous region outside the character, and convert the selection edge to a path, fill it, etc.
Either way, the outline requires virtually no hand work at all.

Another fun thing to do is to turn Oni's characters into actually playable silhouettes.
Making body textures 100% black will effectively turn a character into a silhouette.
You can then either paint an iPod on the otherwise black body or go with iWeapons and iPowerups.
Obviously, an actual ingame silhouette is even easier to detect and acquire from a screenshot.
And it enables you to make fun mini-movies too. No can do for the earphones, though smile

EDIT: woot, post number 666!

Last edited by geyser (02/28/07 13:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#60 03/01/07 17:03

dez_zt

Fluffy wrote:

Actually, it's not essential to make the line (stroke) black as that just increases the size of the silhouette by whatever pixels all around. It will also round off any sharp points that you happen to have made - such as the ends of Konoko's hair spikes - altering the appearance of your silhouette.

In inkskape you can zero down the strokes, so you'll only see dots of your work, the lines are still there, but they are completely transparent. If you have the patience you can curb all those strokes in anyway possible, to make hair after hair.

Anyway as geyser said you don't need actual drawing other than the ipod it self if you go the easy way.
Making the ipod to look good in this case is a nother story.

---------------------------
muro in the greenroom

muromovin.gif

#61 03/02/07 12:03

Tracker

@dez_zt
Till now I hoped that anybody would draw an iPod picture like a breakdance Muro.
But this animated breakdance Muro is much more than I expected.
Very good work! :-)
How have you made this?

#62 03/02/07 13:03

geyser
Website

How have you made this?

I'd say he just made Muro's body textures black, and then picked a room with uniform lighting and made the walls green. Or maybe it's the skybox.
Then there was some camera work and real-time recording of Oni's screen. No image editing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In inkskape you can zero down the strokes, so you'll only see dots of your work, the lines are still there, but they are completely transparent. If you have the patience you can curb all those strokes in anyway possible, to make hair after hair.

As I said, in GIMP you can automatically generate a detailed bezier path that follows the outline of a character as soon as you isolate the pixels of the character from the background
(e.g. by culling the environment and making the skybox yellow, or by making the character black and leaving the environment as it is; the latter lets you play as a silhouette as a bonus).
Then you select contiguous pixels by color and convert selection edge to bezier path. I'd be surprised if Inkscape (or Photoshop) didn't let you do such things automatically.

Last edited by geyser (03/02/07 14:03)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#63 03/02/07 16:03

dez_zt

@Tracker: Thanks! smile I think we can thank Mango for coming up with iStuff in the first place wink

How have you made this?

I don't know if there's a better way, but did mine this way:

-setup oniunpacker
             -search for your caracter's textures in the level's dat where you wanna do it
             -make a 128x128 black texture (makes the most sense, but you can use any image)
             -open the dat editor and find those textures (TXMPs) and you can edit various stuff
              on the appearance in 0x000080 (Oni Stuff has lots of infos on what means what)
             -now you can import the black texture to replace the originals
             -you have a silhouette in game
             -get somekind of ingame recorder, zd soft was my choice
             -do your players little act
             -you can use gif construction set to make the movie a gif
             -you can rip it apart to draw your player an ipod, or draw it on the black image (but
              sometimes that looks ugly)
             -when your done editing, use gcs again
             -your pretty much done

I have a green dreamlab instead of a purple one, did mine there.
You can always turn off textures, but i'm not too femiliar with dev commands.

@geyser: You called it. I haven't looked in inkscape too deeply, and haven't found the
"isolate the pixels of the character from the background" button yet. smile

@Mango: Is there an option in inkscape for that?

#64 03/02/07 19:03

Tracker

@geyser
Thanks for your interesting tips.
I know, Gimp has similar functions like Photoshop, but I used this programs only to modify pictures and never to create animations.

@dez_zt
Your way to cause the animation is really very tricky.

I have used Taksi to record ONI scenes.
I loaded the AVI file in VirtualDub, selected a picture and used the function "Copy source frame to clipbord".
Then I used the commands "File - new" and "Edit - paste" to work on it into Photoshop.

#65 03/02/07 20:03

geyser
Website

Your way to cause the animation is really very tricky.

This forum needs a workshop for that kind of stuff.
And incremental "how to" sections on the wiki.

#66 03/02/07 21:03

Mango

Maybe you could paint an iPod and headphones on the texture so it looks like he's got them. No, they wouldn't wave around in the air, but it's better than nothing.

oniuserbaren4.png

#67 03/03/07 04:03

dez_zt

@Tracker: You can spear out half of the steps, I told that. And it aint necesarry to use my progs/way.

@Mango: I asked about inkscape...

#68 03/03/07 17:03

Mango

I'm not too sure whether you can do that. Inkscape (like Illustrator) uses vector imaging which doesn't use pixels. Of course, you can use the GIMP, then export it to Inkscape.

oniuserbaren4.png

#69 03/03/07 18:03

Last_Hero

That moving Muro is awesome, sometimes I wish I was skilled like that.
All he needs is an iPod super-imposed over him tongue

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#70 03/22/07 02:03

Mango

If your into iTechnology, maye you should watch THIS.

oniuserbaren4.png

#71 03/22/07 08:03

geyser
Website

Hey, that's nice. I liked how it was a parody on two things at the same time...
(maybe it's just me, but most of the puns actually seem to aply to Apple, too)

#72 03/22/07 11:03

Tosh
Website

MadTV was finally funny again!?! NOWAI!
Yeah that was actually good.

Also good pictures an animation that I forgot to post about. ;D

#73 04/22/07 12:04

SektorZ
Website

iDrive :b
3zc5jc4.png
Pretty pixelized, but at least she likes to dance while driving. Which is dangerous...

Last edited by SektorZ (04/22/07 13:04)

#74 04/22/07 15:04

Mango

Well, people usually dance after they've been drinking, so yeah...

oniuserbaren4.png

Board footer