Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/05/08 21:05

Fluffy

Utterly unremarkable Shinatama

I thought I might as well post it, though.

dullshin.jpg

#2 05/06/08 08:05

Iritscen

Re: Utterly unremarkable Shinatama

Hey, I like it.  I'm all for people trying out different styles with familiar faces.  Did you use natural media for that, or Painter?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/06/08 09:05

Fluffy

Thanks. I actually used Seashore; I don't have Painter, and Photoshop is unusable with 350 MB disk space.

#4 05/06/08 09:05

Iritscen

Wow, I hadn't heard of it, even though it's a Mac-only app.  And, by the way, I had no idea you were a Mac user.  You should have spoken up in that thread where I declared myself, EdT, and Guido as the only Mac users (and Diaboy, who had just joined).  Incidentally, I tried out Painter Essentials and was not impressed, and Photoshop (both Elements and the OG) has good abilities at simulating media, but as you indicate, its overhead in terms of HD (and CPU) usage are unreasonable.  Maybe Seashore will work better for me.

#5 05/06/08 10:05

Fluffy

I did think about replying, but for some reason decided against it. Since I also happen to be female, perhaps I should've spoken up here, too. Unfortunately, the only way I'd be fit for the role is if Shinatama's voice broke tongue As for Seashore, I was just after something lightweight and free. I wouldn't suggest it for more serious things.

#6 05/06/08 11:05

Iritscen

Yeah, and I'm not a serious artist, so it's a good match for me smile

My comment that you link to was a bit mean-sounding, eh?  I can admit it now, I was attempting a sort of reverse psychology to get the girls to announce themselves and apply for the role.  My assertion that they couldn't act, btw, is not meant as a slight, but simply a basic statement that most people can't act without training and I doubted there were any trained actors around the forums.  In retrospect, it sounds pretty sexist. </footinmouth>

Oh, I don't suppose you've ever drawn the Big K herself?  I made some (generally unsuccessful) attempts a while back, but you clearly have talent that I lack.

#7 05/06/08 13:05

Fluffy

I wasn't even mildly offended. No need for all that smile

Anyway, I've made many (poor) attempts to draw Konoko over the years. Had a look for some, and this was the only remotely presentable thing I found. The top two, unfinished and both quite awful, were going to be Shinatama and Muro. I think they're about a year old. Talent? No way.

#8 05/06/08 19:05

EdT
Website

Utterly unremarkable Shinatama

But she's cute!

#9 05/07/08 08:05

Iritscen

I do like the Konoko in the drawing you linked to.  You have a good grasp of anime's stylistic principles.  If I was asked to find something to criticize, I would just note that Lorraine's drawings of Konoko have a certain femininity at all times that can be hard to capture (for example, look at how Lorraine renders K's nose; all her art is here).  But that being said, you've already drawn a better Konoko than I ever have, so I shouldn't nitpick.  And as I said, alternate styles are a nice change from the art we're used to seeing.  Hopefully we'll see more art from you in the future smile

#10 05/14/08 05:05

m2

But she's cute!

I second that.

the only remotely presentable thing

Unfortunately the net remembers a lot:

k1.jpg     k2.jpg

Last edited by m2 (05/15/08 10:05)

#11 05/14/08 07:05

Fluffy

Yeah, okay, you got me. I guess I thought they were presentable enough when I was ten or twelve tongue

#12 05/14/08 08:05

Iritscen

Can't see the first one, but the second one has that femininity I was talking about.  Also, I'm impressed with your grasp of how Konoko's hair flows, too.  (Those of us who drew Vegeta as early anime fans have a little bit of a headstart on Konoko's hair ;-)

#13 05/14/08 14:05

guido
Website

I agree with all the people over here, Fluffy. Your sketches are pretty damn good. And it is a shame you show this stuff of yours only now. Next time don't be shy and let us see what you have made! Don't be afraid of criticisms (btw, Geyser is too busy to post now so this is the right time for us all! wink )

What if this is as good as it gets?

#14 05/15/08 08:05

Iritscen

LOL at guido.  Also, now both of those pics in m2's post are broken.  It's not just me, right?

#15 05/15/08 10:05

m2

I thought they were presentable enough when I was ten or twelve

I think they're still presentable. At least they're 1000 times better than that what's called "modern art". F.e. the image below which looks more like a drawing of a 3-year-old.

1150modernart.jpg

Also, now both of those pics in m2's post are broken.

Fixed.

Last edited by m2 (05/15/08 10:05)

#16 05/15/08 11:05

Iritscen

At least they're 1000 times better than that what's called "modern art"

Yes, but modern art is supposed to look like that... I don't know why... that's just what people tell me...

And thanks, I can see both pics now.  I will say this about the first one... it's ambitious smile  But really, I was doing copywork like that at age 18, which is a far cry from doing it at age 10-12.  I think at 10-12 I was learning how to put clothes on stick figures.

Board footer