Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/03/08 12:04

who_play_again

The big robot in chapter 9?

HI, i'm from Hong Kong
Have you ever seen a big robot at chapter 9?
i don't know whether it was an old version(actually it's not ENG version).
and i bought it when it's first released,

and i found something strange when i was playing at chapter 9,
at the first of the chapter, i didn't go inside the building but outside.
After a few dash, i saw a huge robot standing next to a TCTF car,
and some TCTF guys, and started shooting me, and also the robot
at that time i was shocked and started escaping but i've failed(died at last).

Later, i lent to my friends and unfortunately he threw it out the window by accident.(i was really sad)
and then i bought a new one.:(

After few years ago, i played oni again, and the same i went outside the building,
but found nothing. (i was so regret that i hadn't take the screenshot!)

Does it really have a robot in the game?

(sorry for my grammatically mistakes, i hope you can understanding what i'm saying):P

#2 04/03/08 13:04

Iritscen

Re: The big robot in chapter 9?

It couldn't have been this robot, could it?  http://wiki.oni2.net/Iron_Demon

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/03/08 14:04

Loser

I beg for more details, who_play_again. This definitely catches our(community) ear  ^_^.
When did you buy it (just approximately, of course). Specify as much as you can, please.
Where (official store, some stall or some local "we-sell-bit-of-everything" shop)???
What did the robot do? I mean, can you name its actions? Walking, aiming, shooting, some noises?
What about its style of shooting??? What does it shoot (bullets from machineguns, missiles from rocket launchers or lasers?) and from where(one "hand", both "hands") ???
I really appreciate your replies in advance. Thanks. ^_-

Overall, this looks suspicious (not that somebody tries to fool us, but that we are maybe on way to something similar to BigBlueBoxBeta4 version) as we had a little chat with one of the "officials" (steveabe, one and only animator of the whole game). He claimed that the big robot (named Iron Demon) had pathfinding issues, so he was dropped out of the official release. These are his words:

steveabe wrote:
I animated Iron Demon.  I think it only got a walk cycle, firing anims, and possibly turning anims.  It was scrapped because it would take too long to create a custom AI, and gameplay for it.  We had to cut a lot of stuff to get it shipped, and cutting that one sucked.  If you're planning on bringing it back you'll probably run into the same challenges.  Such a large character created AI pathfinding problems as well as issues with object interaction.  They're not impossible to overcome, but we didn't have the time to tackle it.

Loser

P.S.: Now that we came to it - can you tell us more in general about that version you had? I mean were there any other differnecies? For example:
Blood when you shoot somebody?
Weird big weapon (looks like 8 barrels, shoots rockets)?
Different weapons overall (submachinegun with quite big gun sight)?
Were there some pipes in the first level on the walls?
Was there overall more furniture in levels - (tables, chairs and so on) than in your later version?
Moveable furniture (you can push it around)?
Weird color tones(more monochromatic than your next-bought version)?
Weird levels (for example one of those levels named BGI)? Were there levels with same name but different look (other rooms, some parts of level missing or changed in your next-bought version)? Was there level which was situated to the AIRPORT and was named "Airport part deux" or "Airport 2" or "Airport part 2" or something similar? (it should be between first Airport level and Airport cargo hangars level)
Camouflaged enemies(they are similar to those "STRIKER SLAM!!!" guys, but in army camouflage)?
Were there guys with weird spiky hair and wearing sunglasses, that could hit you three times with a knee as their grab attack or, put simply, they moved similar to "TANKER" enemy class?

How did the main screen and menus looked like? Were there any extra buttons (Multiplayer connection) or were some buttons missing ?
Thank you for answer ^_^

Last edited by Loser (04/03/08 14:04)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#4 04/03/08 14:04

Iritscen

That's why I'm dying to hear his answer.  As our wiki page says, the ID was cut pre-beta.  It seems that w_p_a is saying that he saw it in the release Oni, but at most I could only see the ID being in a demo somehow.  He said in the Intro. forum that he first played Oni as a demo....

#5 04/04/08 00:04

who_play_again

Iritscen wrote:

It couldn't have been this robot, could it?  http://wiki.oni2.net/Iron_Demon

yes, exactly that robot, but it didn't inside the building, but outside! It just standing beside a row of TCTF cars and started shooting me.

#6 04/04/08 01:04

who_play_again

Well, to be exact, my friend bought me a piracy ONI, BEFORE the release, it's traditional chinese version.
Later, when it first release, i immediately bought one, then one of my friends ask me to give the piracy to him,
then i use the GENUINE verison to play. After i win the game, i lent it to my friend, then he threw it out the window by accident.

i can't remember whether i've re-installed the genuine version or not(i mean to use the old files but with the genuine CD),

then i bid one in an auction site later, then i've never seen the robot again...

When i first saw the ID, i could remember some of the details:
i didn't use the cheat(just becos i don't know how to use).
the ID shot me with its powerful gun (i don't know if that is a missile, or i mixed up with other games).
the TCTF guys shot me with the Plasma rifle, i run away and they were chasing me. Then i died.
that's all i could remember:)

And sorry i don't know it's so hard to believe, becos it appears in the trailer, i just wonder why i can't see the ID again.

#7 04/04/08 08:04

Loser

who_play_again: pirate version eh? That supports my opinion: you could have played some game with ID, because it could be some early version, either hacked from Bungie West network or ilegally sold by somebody who had access to it. In those times there was quite a hype about Oni, so why not...
Anyway, can you remember any OTHER differnecies (if there were any, of course)??? List is above in my previous post.
Also, if somebody throws CD out of the window, it usually doesn't mean 100% destruction of it. Do you still have it ???

For all members of this forum:
I got that idea on my walk from school. Let's think - the earliest ONI version you can get quite easily from the Internet is Beta 4 for Mac (I have tried to search on Google. Or at least some suspicious warez sites says so. I didn't try it, I love my PC ^_^). Next read this Shinatama's line:

00_01_31 Shinatama: I'm so excited. Commander Griffin has authorized us to run through TCTF training program beta 6

Add the fact that the game really looks unfinished + voices are usually done in later stages of the development, when it is clear what will characters say and how they will behave + Bungie guys have quite sense for humor = maybe, MAYBE the version that was shipped and we play is in fact beta. Beta version No. 6.

Loser

Last edited by Loser (04/04/08 08:04)

#8 04/04/08 08:04

Iritscen

And sorry i don't know it's so hard to believe, becos it appears in the trailer, i just wonder why i can't see the ID again.

Do you mean "I don't know why it's so hard to believe"?  We have always been told that the ID was removed from the game before it shipped.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but the reason it's going to be hard for some to believe you is that the ID was never fully working, even in development.  Then someone claims that their foreign-language copy of the game has the ID.  It's a little like if I bought a bootleg of an unfinished English-dubbed version of a wu-xia movie before the original film actually hit theaters in China, and I said that there was a cameo by a well-known Chinese actor, but when you bought the movie, the actor wasn't there.  Why would I have it in my copy and you not have it in yours?

Pre-emptive Edit: Loser made his post while I was still making this one, so let me simply say this:

We know that there were early betas (before v4) that had the ID in them.  I think that none of us have never seen such an early beta.  For us, the ID is basically a legend.  It's very interesting that you say the robot was just standing there.  That makes me inclined to believe you, because if it wasn't fully working, they would have just stuck it somewhere that it could fire at the player without moving, somewhere like a barricade outside such as you describe.

w_p_a, you should know that that disc, wherever it is, would be very valuable today to the community.  Very.  Just the thought that there might still be other pirated copies of that beta floating around out there is exciting.

#9 04/04/08 08:04

Iritscen

@ Loser: That's an interesting thought!  I said recently in another thread that even release Oni is a beta, so yeah, let's call it beta 6. smile

@ w_p_a: Yes, if you can answer any of Loser's questions, it would be great.  I know that list might be overwhelming for someone with limited English, and I know it was years ago that you played that version.  I would say that the biggest two questions would be: 1. Was there any blood? and 2. Was there any button in the menu for multiplayer?

#10 04/04/08 09:04

EdT
Website

No, the biggest question is... :-)

Last edited by EdT (04/04/08 10:04)

#11 04/04/08 23:04

who_play_again

Loser wrote:

Also, if somebody throws CD out of the window, it usually doesn't mean 100% destruction of it. Do you still have it ???

Loser

may be my English is so sucks, and i found it hard to explain, i mean the CD which my friend threw out the window,
is the genuine one, not the fake one, the fake one i've lent to my other friends. But later i bid a new one in an auction site.

#12 04/04/08 23:04

who_play_again

Iritscen wrote:

Do you mean "I don't know why it's so hard to believe"?  We have always been told that the ID was removed from the game before it shipped.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but the reason it's going to be hard for some to believe you is that the ID was never fully working, even in development.  Then someone claims that their foreign-language copy of the game has the ID.  It's a little like if I bought a bootleg of an unfinished English-dubbed version of a wu-xia movie before the original film actually hit theaters in China, and I said that there was a cameo by a well-known Chinese actor, but when you bought the movie, the actor wasn't there.  Why would I have it in my copy and you not have it in yours?

yes, i see your point, i think it's hard to believe just becos i'm not really concern about the making or development at that time(i mean when i was small), and thanks for informing me that.:)

Iritscen wrote:

w_p_a, you should know that that disc, wherever it is, would be very valuable today to the community.  Very.  Just the thought that there might still be other pirated copies of that beta floating around out there is exciting.

yes, the pirated copies was so valuable, but unfortunately, my friend had lost the disc becos you know, it's about 7-8 years ago!
And i'm trying to find it on the net, if there are any news, i'll post it here.

#13 04/05/08 00:04

who_play_again

Iritscen wrote:

@ w_p_a: Yes, if you can answer any of Loser's questions, it would be great.  I know that list might be overwhelming for someone with limited English, and I know it was years ago that you played that version.  I would say that the biggest two questions would be: 1. Was there any blood? and 2. Was there any button in the menu for multiplayer?

To you and to Loser, um...it seems fine everything, no blood, no multiplayer, i must keep the disc if there are any differences, becos i think this is the
best game i've ever played.

#14 04/05/08 23:04

who_play_again

ah, i could remember a special move that i used by accident, it's a move that take off one's gun,
it used in the side of an opponent, and acted like the 'Reverse Piledriver', it's so special and should not be
something like bugs in the moves, i don't know whether it's in the pirated copy or not.

#15 04/06/08 15:04

Loser

Now tell me, please... do you have that pirate copy? Because from your sentences it looks like you have it somewhere at home...you are making me crazy (so close...) ^_^

#16 04/07/08 04:04

who_play_again

Loser wrote:

Now tell me, please... do you have that pirate copy? Because from your sentences it looks like you have it somewhere at home...you are making me crazy (so close...) ^_^

I hope so, but it should be in somewhere at my friend's home, or in somewhere at the dumping area...

Board footer