Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 02/19/08 12:02

TOCS

Re: Custom Characters

But, ehh, you can try sending me the Rocket Launcher, and the Chaingun, maybe i can help, i am not sure.

Last edited by TOCS (02/20/08 01:02)

#27 02/19/08 18:02

Seventeen Seconds

There's no rush, I've been sitting on the meshes for about 2 years now.  Also be careful of publicly posting email, the spam bots will get you.  (you can edit your post to remove it)

#28 02/19/08 19:02

geyser
Website

Rexxar, you should indeed remove your email. OCF is google-indexed, so anyone at all can fish for your email and then try to sell you... stuff.

"single-color characters lend themselves very well to multiplayer [...] I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Bungie West's original intent."
The pre-beta black/camo skins, maybe. As for what we have now, it's more likely that they were just supposed to indicate the rank/toughness.
However, they are indeed an oportunity for team-based gameplay. We haven't had Red VS Blue in OTA, but we've had "strongly typed" teams.

I don't see why you're making such a fuss over 3 unfinished models, guys. Do they really have to be released in private unto a single artist?
"The OC community has had pretty much everything over the years except a dedicated texture artist." I guess colorblind people don't count?
Frankly, although I wouldn't sell myself as a 2D/3D artist, I'm usually quite inspired and fluent when I need to pimp up a mesh or a texture.

The only reason why I haven't imported the guns yet is that I'd have to not only do the reflectivity (trivial, BTW), but adjust the UVs, etc...
For example, there are oblique 2D features that should obviously be rendered with displaced or rotated UVs, not with jaggedy bitmap lines.
Another example is the non-planar quads that don't get triangulated the same way on either side. It just hurts my pride not to fix those smile
And of course there'll be all the engine specific issues, like the weapon's own configuration, the AI dodging, the AI shooting skill presets...

The lack of 2D/3D artists in the past was mostly due to the lack of proper importing tools for M3GM/TXMP, which we mostly have now.
So the lack of a patented texture artist will no longer be a problem, or at least not the problem. 2 bazookas, 1 chaingun? Sure. Shoot.

Oh, and BTW, guns are pretty much off-topic here. This thread was suposed to be about characters wink
Then again, we may be talking about characters with favorite weapons. Then we're probably excused.

Last edited by geyser (02/19/08 19:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#29 02/20/08 01:02

TOCS

Here is the tanker pack, ready for test.

tanker3sck1.th.jpg

Remember this is only somekinda beta test, when i am fully done with the ninjas i will begin to look deeper on the skins, like removing the bugs, some places on the body it needs to be a little more shapend like the orginal, so i will release a full pack. (And if it is possible for me maybe adding the reflective to the unreflective metal parts, this is only a MAYBE)

http://www.2shared.com/file/2871732/9ad … rPack.html

#30 02/20/08 12:02

EdT
Website

Rexxar: Black Fury and Tanker are fine. Though, just my opinion, the Tanker's trim should be silver.
Also, take a look at the Black Elite's calf, the back part is not black.

Once you finish the Ninja, I'll make a pack of all the Black characters as new classes.

#31 02/22/08 12:02

TOCS

Okay, sorry that it took so long time for me, but i rechecked all the skins, and remade some off it, like the neck on the Fury Easy skin (it looked like it was blue tongue) and some red rust like colour was also delete from both the Striker Medium, and Hard.

EdT: Thanks for reminding me on the calf, just forgort it big_smile

Now the full pack is getting released, i will may be looking on how to add reflective on the unshiny parts now, but that's only a maybe, since i got a nearly dead dog to be thinking about sad

But anyways here it is.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2883599/dc3 … lPack.html

#32 02/22/08 16:02

EdT
Website

Rexxar: I'm sorry to hear about your dog sad
How old is he/she?

Thanks for the new skins.

Newskin.jpg

Last edited by EdT (02/22/08 22:02)

#33 02/25/08 10:02

Iritscen

Cool.  And a touch of shininess (such as we see in the Elite Striker's chest on the right) is a nice touch, but I wouldn't add reflections where it doesn't make sense (like the Tanker's chest, which looks like a plain shirt with no doodads on it).  I'm not sure where added shininess would actually go on these guys.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#34 02/25/08 10:02

geyser
Website

"I'm not sure where added shininess would actually go on these guys."
Why, the armor. Only the armor. None of a Fury's armor is shiny ATM.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#35 02/25/08 10:02

Iritscen

That Fury's chest on the left looks like it has shiny armor to me.

#36 02/25/08 11:02

geyser
Website

Oh. The chest. Ah, well, then, Rexxar's bad. That's exactly the kind of case where I'd avoid reflectivity, so I'm with you.

On a more general note: I've tested reflectivity with cutscene objects and environment parts (which would both rock).
Cutscene objects work OK, but reflective environment either doesn't work at all or needs a quad-specific flag to be set.
We can always set up fake environment parts that are in fact static cutscene objects and have reflectivity at key places.
But of course it'd be better to somehow reenable environment mapping for the environment. That would look awesome.

#37 02/25/08 11:02

EdT
Website

Don't blame Rexxar, its my fault for the shiny armor on the Fury. smile
I was just playing around with it.

#38 02/25/08 12:02

Iritscen

I'm a little confused.  Geyser, you said you would add reflectivity to a Fury's armor, didn't you?  Then when I pointed out that it was already there, you said you didn't like it.  What am I missing?

#39 02/27/08 07:02

TOCS

Ok here is maybe the final skin pack by me, this is a reskinned pack of the other one, it has reflectivity on the unshiny parts, wich i think should be reflective, but for some reason the textures got messed up so, dont blame it to look like a old DOS game.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2905624/9d7 … PackR.html

#40 02/27/08 08:02

geyser
Website

@ Rexxar: it's a shame you didn't provide us with the intermediate textures. We could have helped you figure out what you were doing wrong.

Iritscen wrote:

I'm a little confused.  Geyser, you said you would add reflectivity to a Fury's armor, didn't you?  Then when I pointed out that it was already there, you said you didn't like it.  What am I missing?

The reflectivity wasn't "already there", it was EdT messing up with Rexxar's texture pack. And it wasn't on the "Fury's armor" but on the Fury's chest, which shouldn't be reflective unless you think she's wearing latex or something. What should be reflective is the metallic parts (shoulderplates, greaves, elbow pads, maybe buckles and such).

#41 02/27/08 10:02

Iritscen

Oh, okay.  I forgot the details of the Fury model and thought her upper chest in that shot was covered by body armor.  It's just a shirt, though, I guess.

#42 03/04/08 20:03

geyser
Website

Just a little teaser here. Character bastardizing made easy:

bastard1_.png

I'll release the TRBS ripper I used (my own C++ stuff) at a later time.
(with the negative indices now supported by OniSplit, I may not have to)
I'll also release an update of my OBJ viewer after i've polished it a bit...

Also check out the other teaser (about cel-shading) on this other thread:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 5879#p5879

#43 03/05/08 00:03

Gumby

O_o who is that?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#44 03/07/08 12:03

TOCS

Okay, I'd had some spare time, here's the whole pack with everything i used inside, the pictures i used to replace the unshiny parts, and the image when it is done itself, the '(r)' means its the reflective skin.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2952048/932 … tive-.html

#45 03/10/08 23:03

EdT
Website

Rexxar, when you imported the textures, did you use bgr555?  I discovered that bgr555 produces blocky textures, but bgr32 produces smooth textures.  Its like comparing a 256 color gif and thousands of colors jpg.

#46 03/11/08 04:03

TOCS

I dont know, i'm at school kinda, atm. I will check it later...

#47 03/11/08 14:03

TOCS

I used bgr555 for all the un-reflective files, and bgra4444 for all the reflective ones.

Example, for the Elite Striker Easy i used this in my bat file:

OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Bchest.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Abicep.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Cchest.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Awrist.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Bbicep.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Bwrist.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_Cwrist.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_mid.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgr555 -genmipmaps TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_pelvis.tga
OniSplit -create:txmp . -format:bgra4444 -genmipmaps -envmap:TXMPenvksarmor TXMPELITE_EASY%2FEL_thigh.tga

If some of it is wrong, then please tell me it, so i can be done with it, this little 'skin' project, has annoyed me sometimes, but altrough when it works, it's fun! tongue

Last edited by TOCS (03/11/08 15:03)

#48 03/11/08 17:03

EdT
Website

Rexxar: So which texture is messed up?  The ones using bgr555 or bgra444?

#49 03/12/08 01:03

TOCS

Only the bgra4444, the reflective files. The bgr555 looks fine, nothing there.

#50 03/15/08 07:03

geyser
Website

Incoming from the Car960 thread. Shiny character textures were getting too much undeserved attention there.

So, Rexxar.
The problem is that the original RGB color uses 5 bits per color channel, and your target format uses 4.
That means there'll be half as many shades of red, green and blue, and 8 times fewer colors overall...
While the result is nowhere close to 256 colors, the already blocky gradients will certainly suffer a lot.

The easiest way around that is to keep the reflective map very simple and use the 5551 target format.
Bungie's texture artists apparently dealt with the issue by enabling dithering, which looks not too crappy.
I've found that the textures look OK in 4444 if you do "Colors/Auto/Stretch Contrast" in GIMP aforehand.
It looks like the 4 bits per channel have trouble resolving the local gradients of the original 555 uniforms.
But if you experiment a bit with brightness, contrast and such you can have it look good enough as 4444.

Board footer