EdT
Website

Re: OBJ viewer + new guns

Iritscen: You mean like this:
bara2.jpg

According to the OniSplit wiki smile, the command to extract obj files is

onisplit -extract:obj dest_dir filename.oni

I used this command for the Mac:

mono onisplit.exe -extract:obj OBJ ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final/ONCCbarabus.oni

ONCC is for the Characters data.

EDIT: Commenting out the shadows commands, produces a brighter render.

Last edited by EdT (02/12/08 23:02)

#27 02/12/08 12:02

Iritscen

Oh, cool!  I had no idea I could use that command on an ONCC file.  Could you make mention of that on the wiki?

Also, yeah, all the renders are dark; it might just be that the "lights" need to be turned up, or that there should be more of them.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 02/12/08 13:02

EdT
Website

geyser: See the attached movie, this is what I meant by the textures flickering on and off.

http://edt.oni2.net/OBj/OBJbara.wmv

#29 02/12/08 13:02

Iritscen

That's... really weird.  Perhaps I simply haven't used obj_view enough myself to have seen that bug.

#30 02/12/08 15:02

geyser
Website

@ Rexxar: Most of the guns are inspired by either the guns present in pre-beta screenshots or by those featured in promotional artwork (e.g., Konoko's machine gun, shotgun, revolver).
I'm not sure the Elite SMG was ever seen as a ingame model. In any case, this is all fan-modeled, merely inspired by what Bungie had ingame at pre-alpha. Quite like the Iron Demon.

@ Iritscen: "I had no idea I could use that command on an ONCC file." It's a recent feature. You can also export OFGA, and even the environment (but it's still messy, so not announced).

@ "darkness". This is an effect of Neo exporting the characters with default illumination settings. You can adjust those in the .mtl file before I make the lights more interactive in the viewer.
The very basic way to get rid of the shadows is to switch to illumination mode 0, by commenting out everything but the newmtl and the map_Kd commands. Here's the ninjabot example:

newmtl NINJA_EASY_practise
#Ka 0.300000 0.300000 0.300000
#Kd 0.700000 0.700000 0.700000
#Ks 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
#Ns 50.000000
#Tr 0.000000
#illum 2
map_Kd NINJA_EASY_practise.tga

If you do that for every material, you'll have a bright look with no shadows at all.

@ "flickering". That's some really weird effect... I would really expect basic Open GL code to behave better on the Mac... smile
Let's just wait until I rewrite everything with C++ classes and streams... or (meta-sigh) until Neo does a .NET counterpart.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#31 02/12/08 16:02

EdT
Website

The obj_view window stays active in a way that blocks all open Finder windows.

Its not an issue with OBJ viewer when run directly from command line.  However, when OBJ viewer is called from your Applescript app, that where the problem is.

EDIT: That didn't come out right.  Rather I should have said "the problem is a result of how Applescript handles the OBJ viewer". smile

Last edited by EdT (02/12/08 17:02)

#32 02/12/08 16:02

geyser
Website

"Its not an issue with OBJ viewer when run directly from command line.  However,
when OBJ viewer is called from your Applescript app, that where the problem is."

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL... So maybe Macs do suck, after all? big_smile
(sorry guys, I've been having rough days here, flat got burglarized and all that...)

Seriously, from the top: please report only the bugs that show up with cmd-line use.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#33 02/12/08 17:02

EdT
Website

geyser: Glad we could make you laugh.  That's awful your place got burglarized, sorry to hear about that.

Also, the flickering issue is not Applescript related... I get the same problem using the command line.

EDIT: If you call the command from the terminal the Finder is not affected while the OBJ Viewer is open.

tell application "Terminal"
activate
do script cmd_string
end tell

instead of

do shell script cmd_string

But now similar to the Finder issues in Applescript, I noticed that while OBJ Viewer is active, the terminal will not act on any commands that are typed in until you quit OBJ Viewer.

Last edited by EdT (02/12/08 23:02)

#34 02/13/08 10:02

Iritscen

Well, that's an improvement.  I had no idea that only the AppleScript-called obj_view had that problem :blush: (we need a blushing smiley too).

I am not experiencing the flickering effect, although I didn't try Barabus.  But it didn't happen with the characters I did try.

#35 02/13/08 10:02

TOCS

So how do i overwrite one of the existing weapons, with the new ones, i dont know the file format since the exported ones just are .OBJ files and dosent exists withing OUP.

#36 02/13/08 18:02

Seventeen Seconds

Hey, I don't work in OBJ format!  I'm not sure if the files get a little messed by the XSI export process but I can triangulate them before export.  They're just easier to work with when the quads are clean.

Rexxar, the Elite SMG is based off an image Lorraine drew here.  I figured the Syndicate would have something a little more high-end for their crack troops.

Last edited by Seventeen Seconds (02/13/08 18:02)

#37 02/13/08 19:02

geyser
Website

"Hey, I don't work in OBJ format!" But you have to keep in mind that Oni only knows triangles (and quads for environment).

"I'm not sure if the files get a little messed by the XSI export process but I can triangulate them before export."
Neo already triangulated them with his own XSI. He also had to fix the normals, which were screwed up big-time.
Maybe you don't have the same version of XSI, but your guns and your Demon (OBJ) have very messy normals.

The main issue is with non-planar "polygons", often quads, because there are two non-equivalent ways to triangulate them.
Those are clearly the consequence of a moment of carelessness (I suppose XSI doesn't complain at all about non-planarity).
I spotted two of those on the front section of the AEG rifle and a whole lot of those on the Iron Demon (top of the thighs...).

Another problem is with non-convex polygons, but if everything is triangulated, that one is automatically taken care of.

#38 02/13/08 20:02

Seventeen Seconds

I was more concerned with aesthetics at that time than optimizing the meshes for Oni.  Keep in mind there was no possibility of importing them into the game at that time, they were as much of a personal project than anything else (as was the Iron Demon).

I'm hoping to see the 7th edition team put some of the 'furious gunplay' back into Oni... is there a possibility to add a 'safety on' function (perhaps mouse wheel) to allow you to go H+H with a loaded weapon when it's required?

#39 02/13/08 21:02

geyser
Website

"a 'safety on' function (perhaps mouse wheel) to allow you to go H+H with a loaded weapon when it's required?"
Well, there are "punch" and "kick" keys you can always use instead of "fire1" and "fire2". Defaults are F and C.
Whenever the first or second firing mode is unavailable, you merely have fire1/fire2 doubling as punch/kick...
As for the mouse wheel (supposed to be "fire3"), it always doubles as "crouch" by lack of a third firing mode.
People have been binding the middle mouse button to anything from "screenshot" to "lookmode".

"I'm hoping to see the 7th edition team put some of the 'furious gunplay' back into Oni..." Hehe, you said "team".
AI dodging behaviour is already a big improvement over the original gunplay, although it's not completely fixed.
Another possible improvement is to make all guns unholsterable, but that'd make it a bit too furious, I'm afraid.
I'm looking forward to setting up the projectiles/particles for the less redundant of the new guns, Soon Enough.

You mentioned bazookas and such: I would definitely like to have a look at those, as Oni is asking for them.

Last edited by geyser (02/13/08 21:02)

#40 02/14/08 10:02

Iritscen

"I'm hoping to see the 7th edition team put some of the 'furious gunplay' back into Oni..."

More ammo.  Ammo is (somewhat realistically) scarce in Oni.  It's hard to have a good time with the SMG, for instance, when you run out of ammo after a couple seconds, reload, fire for a couple more seconds, then run out for good.  The only game I've ever enjoyed using a machine gun in is Unreal, with the Minigun.  It's the only bullet-based weapon where I could hold the trigger down while training it on my enemies and laughing maniacally.  I like to fight Heavy Arm style, for those Gundam fans out there.  Unceasing fire even when enemies take cover, while you bear down on them.  It's so cathartic.

How large is the clip in the chaingun hack?

You mentioned bazookas and such: I would definitely like to have a look at those, as Oni is asking for them.

:bulgeeyes: (another smiley we need)  SPNKR, anyone?

#41 02/14/08 11:02

geyser
Website

@ Iritscen: superammo is your friend. And roughjustice. That turns the SMG into your typical minigun.
I wouldn't know about catharsis, but I'd really use weapons very sparingly in single-player missions...
As for the chaingun, if a 5-second ammo belt is not enough for you, you can always use superammo.
You just don't want a gun that can fire for hours and is sudden death at close range...
Because, whatever you want, keep in mind that there will be AI wielding those babies.

I wouldn't know what SPNKR is, but the Screaming Cannon already has a neat warhead.
Shotguns are a bit harder to set up, and flame throwers would require a lot of tweaking.

Last edited by geyser (03/15/08 11:03)

#42 02/14/08 12:02

Iritscen

I wouldn't know what SPNKR is

OMG.  Do you know what domain you're on, and you state something like that so casually?  Sacrilege!  I hope the Pfhorums don't hear about this.

#43 02/15/08 16:02

HappyCat

geyser wrote:

I wouldn't know what SPNKR is, but the Screaming Cannon already has a neat warhead.
Shotguns are a bit harder to set up, and flame throwers would require a lot of tweaking.

I wonder why do I never see it. Only common shots. If "common" can be said about Screaming Cannon)

#44 02/15/08 18:02

Seventeen Seconds

The phase stream probably handles its ammunition as several hundred rounds.  Although what I imagine would be more interesting for you Iritscen would be having a pack of mobile sentry guns you direct on target with a laser designator.  The chaingun I designed already has legs...

#45 02/15/08 20:02

geyser
Website

"The phase stream probably handles its ammunition as several hundred rounds."

"a pack of mobile sentry guns you direct on target with a laser designator."
The laser designator would mean new target selection; hard to implement.
Maybe missiles could home in on the crosshair, but it's not really worth it.
On the subject of sentries, I envisioned hovering ones, like in Konoko Payne...
Floating around like mid-air turrets, or hovering along the floor (characters).
Then again, we can always use robots. "Isn't this the solution to everything?"
"What was your problem again? Oh, wait, nevermind, just use robots. Next."

"The chaingun I designed already has legs..." So, what about bazookas, again?

"I wonder why do I never see it. Only common shots." Never seen the warhead?
When it's yours. it travels away from you, so it's hidden by the smoke and trail...
But it's a metallic capsule that flies straight ahead, then releases the Screamer.
The release is really well done, with the warhead's shell ejected as 4 quarters.

Last edited by geyser (02/15/08 20:02)

#46 02/28/08 00:02

EdT
Website

I found this obj viewer, its open source, but only works in Windows and Linux
http://www.glc-player.net/

Board footer