Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 09/12/19 18:09

onibge

Re: my ONI in the Blender Game engine - what i've done so far - check

thanks.   There's still so much of work before it does perfectly what i want my game to be : a template for making Oni 2. The template should be like a sandbox The character will be able to fight, beat down , somehow wrestle and do finishing moves.

After that, i would look for contributors for

- sound , cutscenes animations, gui-interface, maps, detailed AI,  lighting and special effects.

Here, i use 3 layers of animations. Its low resolution for recording at 60 fps, but game runs 1920x1080 full screen at 60fps.

https://streamable.com/m9lti

#27 09/24/19 06:09

onibge

hello

npc navigation system so far :

https://streamable.com/0pcvx

#28 09/24/19 06:09

Iritscen

Hmm, looks promising!  This required you to create an invisible pathfinding grid, right?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#29 09/24/19 10:09

onibge

yes. I implemented the Dijkastra algorithm in python.  Blender game engine has what they call a navigation mesh which is very buggy. So as my maps will be made of floors , doors, stairs and cross points ;  i though that the best was making the npc find shortest path up to you (if on ennemy stance) through checkpoints placed on strategic points on the map. Here i have 15 checkpoints on the whole map.  If you are in the sight of the npc (no obstacle between the player and him) and there's no elevation  ; then he can directly chase you . Under some other conditions, he goes back on track  (example : you jump on a platform). 

better video :   https://streamable.com/x86k4

I have implemented 2 modes so far :  routine ,  chasing the player.  Now i have to make the npc escaping you (find exit without finding you on his way)

i think i will start to make a documentation on my game. My limitation is that i'm doing things alone. But anyone who can use blender would be able add content : sound, animations, new stance, cutscenes with animated camera, maps and even complex AI based on variables : fear, aggressivness, nothing to lose, motivation , friendship.

This is what the game should looks like (1th view) once we will get the new upbge version  wink  . Well, that the result i want to see. 3th view for fight like in Oni

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by onibge (09/24/19 10:09)

#30 09/24/19 17:09

Iritscen

Interesting.  One thing Oni does with its PF grids is marking no-go areas to prevent AIs from falling off high ledges, getting stuck on things, etc.  Maybe you're already doing this: https://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:AKVA/0x24

#31 09/24/19 18:09

onibge

yes, Blender game engine has also a system of Navigation grid (NavMesh) but its not possible to configure it and it's good for a snail or caterpillar wink  . Oni's one seems robust. Oni game seems a very well designed game in its engine. That's why i like it.

With the system of checkpoints i created, normally, the npc will just go to 1 checkpoint to another 1 and if he chases you, he will stop chasing you if you have for exemple a too big difference in worldPositions (even more on the Z axis). He will stop chase you in a straight line, but will recompute the shortest path to go to the checkpoint you are the nearest so it's kind of an AI.   But it can have in some cases some flaws. But i will make my npc react to environment like the player does already : when collide ladders : climb , when colliding a barrier : jump over , when walking on a border (like in picture) : restrict motion to not fall.. and so on

Here, i started to make another stance for the npc : standing his ground.    I will try to make a documentation on a wiki to make things more formal

https://streamable.com/g7g70

it moves a bit too much, but i know that the result will be as much fun and satisfying as MK3  smile   On Oni , if i remember you have to flatten your mouse click, in my game, your mouse moves count.  Mix hack-n-slash , fps  and beat em up

#32 09/24/19 18:09

Iritscen

Yes, Oni is generally robust, but make no mistake, the pathfinding has plenty of issues.  AIs will fall off ledges while executing maneuvers, magically know where you are after you've hidden, get stuck on doorjambs, etc. smile

Your standing-his-ground stance looks good.  Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean at the end about 'flattening your mouse clicks'.

#33 09/25/19 09:09

onibge

it means that you can hit enemies only by clicking your mouse left/right button.  In my game, your position left/right on the enemy , the side you hit enemy and your direction will matter to determine the hit. So i combine the position of the character , her movement , the move of the mouse and the clicks (left,right, special) to compute which hit will be delivered. I wanted to avoid to have a game in which you have to click too much. If you keep your mouse button pushed and fly over with the cursor the head or the torso of the enemy, it will be like a click. If you fly over with the cursor without click, you dodge.   Also, stance will matter, if you carry a gun, you will shoot , a knife, a baseball stick. Also, if you are grabbing an enemy, all the hits will be different, same than if you are fighting on ground. I want finishers as well. So even if already something like 75 animations, i will have to create far much later.

thx for the standing his ground but it's very temporary wink  when making a game, it's an error to make things look perfect directly. Just have to create the engine and fill it quickly to see if it works. Come back on it later or find manpower to work on it independently.

Last edited by onibge (09/25/19 09:09)

#34 09/25/19 12:09

Iritscen

Sounds like a good plan.

#35 09/26/19 06:09

onibge

thx.   Combined stances : run after you but hold position when close.

https://streamable.com/r4sta

with npc hitting.  This is just to test code wink   Huge work to make it good

https://streamable.com/n0zx4

Last edited by onibge (09/26/19 11:09)

#36 09/30/19 17:09

onibge

can drive vehicles now

https://streamable.com/wp6uz

#37 09/30/19 19:09

Iritscen

Cool, well that's something Oni doesn't have (outside of scripted cutscenes).  You seem to be developing a lot of features at once :-)

#38 10/01/19 11:10

onibge

yes, i have everything in my mind. Just need time to implement x) .  The game will be a mix of Oni, Ghost in the Shell and Anything related to Asia, 90's , Capcom with synthwave ambiance smile

FluxBB bbcode test

you will be able to bump into ennemy cars until they are broken so they escape running

https://streamable.com/9ij9d

Last edited by onibge (10/01/19 11:10)

#39 10/16/19 16:10

onibge

back to work.

combo animation. It's good ?

https://streamable.com/gkezw

#40 10/17/19 06:10

Iritscen

Seems like there is no interpolation between the moves in the combo, or at least the end of one move does not leave the character in the right place to start the next move.  When checking your animations, you'll want to make sure they look good in slow-motion like Oni's moves do.

#41 10/17/19 10:10

onibge

yes, on the video , right-click : speed 1/4

there's a 3 frame blending actually  ^^   i even used IK's to keep her feet on the ground .   But i like somehow that effect (if not too much), it makes it powerful.

This one is better maybe

https://streamable.com/2abpp

I finally played Oni demo with Wine smile  Animations are good, but Oni's hits seem to be very light-weight. Imagine if Oni is bigger smile

#42 10/17/19 11:10

Iritscen

Ah, I didn't know I could do slow-motion on those videos.  Yes, this one looks good.

It's true that Oni's hits don't have the same impact as those in a fighting game.  There's some additional visual/animation techniques that fighters use to make each hit look powerful.  I think Oni is a bit trapped between realism and Street Fighter's style; Oni's attacks are often unrealistic, but not as stylized as SF and other games.  They were trying to create a believable 3D world and I think it was hard for them to figure out how to combine architectural realism, anime, and Street Fighter :-)

#43 10/17/19 12:10

onibge

yes, it's all true. And on the other hand, they constraints them selves by making Oni like a 50-60 kg for marketing purpose. Anyone of 50-60 kg cannot deliver anything great .. even if the over-promoted magical "girl power" you know  wink  .    In my game you will feel very strong impacts, 'll see  smile    What about making Oni more than 6feet ?

new 3hit combo (yes, not very polished)

https://streamable.com/iacwf

#44 10/17/19 12:10

Iritscen

Oh, you mean Konoko.  Well, there's a plot-based reason Konoko can throw grown men over her head ;-)

#45 10/18/19 07:10

onibge

yeah, like saying TombRaider for LaraCroft ^^ .    Konoko is a cyborg or something i guess, i think i will make my version more like a DNA modified .

Other thing, do you ever notice that in absolutely all fighting games (oni, street fighter and so on)  the player has to dispatch hits until enemy energy bar goes to 0 with no variations.  Even in the latest Mortal Kombat, the characters are never scared, fight at 100% level even with 3% energy left or an arm broken 2 secs before, never ever exhausted. And just wait opponent goes back on his feet before resume combat.  It's so far from reality. There's no psychology but very "fair-play" in the same time, lol.  In my game, i'll try to find a combat system in which no reasons are given to let enemy recover/escape, something more realistic

those latest animations are not really combo's but more like a 60 frame single hit triggered in a circumstance.
https://streamable.com/h5u43

#46 10/18/19 11:10

Iritscen

Konoko is not a cyborg.  You really need to play Oni again or read our wiki or something tongue  Anyway, I would be interested to see your take on combat.  I've thought the same thing, that it's not realistic that characters fight and look the same at 3% health as at 100%.  It's also rather odd that you can kill/KO an enemy using nothing but leg sweeps.  The tricky question is whether more realistic combat would be more fun, or even equally as fun as the normal system.  Fighting game fans would hate it if their character became less capable of a fighter as their health bar decreased.

#47 10/19/19 03:10

onibge

Iritscen wrote:

Konoko is not a cyborg.  You really need to play Oni again or read our wiki or something tongue  .

Oh, yes, mixed up with Ghost in the Shell. Yes, i should review my classics tongue . Yes,  and in some fighting games you can even kill enemy by hitting him 26 times in his toes with the tip of your pinky finger.   By testing my game i learned lot on "ergonomy" , the relation between the player, the game and the game commands ; the player wants the commands natural but in the same time doesn't want to feel the auto-pilot mode like in current games in which you just have to push the 8th or 9th button to trigger a cool animation. Most games one plays are tested by players to say if the game is playable or just too awkward to handle.

I hope i can show soon the results of my fight system smile

#48 10/20/19 17:10

onibge

just modified the camera module today ;-d .  All animations have to be reviewed

https://streamable.com/7jbrn

#49 10/20/19 21:10

Iritscen

I guess you are using separate controls for the character's movement and the camera so they can move independently.  I kind of like Oni's unified camera-aiming mechanic, it keeps things simple :-)

#50 10/21/19 05:10

onibge

he he, me too.  And that's what you see : 4 direction buttons + mouse movement in action.  Nothing special to activate, The trick is just to use 2 pivot points, instead of 1,  in the same time. The first one to rotate the camera on its origin, the second to shift it's location.  A bit like before only a hand moves the camera ; now it's like a hand + an arm  wink  Just have to map correctly the mouse coordinates on the screen with the movement on the 2 pivot points and set the min, max limits.  But, yes,  i have to test the system when combat and adapt it.

Board footer