Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/29/19 10:07

onibge

my ONI in the Blender Game engine - what i've done so far - check

hi guys,

I've played Oni very long time ago and was wondering why no similar games really exist today.   I'm working on creating an open source and free Oni 2 so people can work on it easily

some sample videos. I made some months ago.   I can put any character i want (so don't be disappointed smile

streamable.com/l7way
streamable.com/4fn52
streamable.com/2si2t
streamable.com/f4iuu   (this is just a joke)

Basically i can recreate all the combat system of ONI with the commands. One can create a new game with new assets.  I just want to know if there's any way to capture all the animations of ONI and have them in a file i can input in Blender

I remember Oni has no armature system. But it's ok, as long as i can have all the keyframes of each part of her body i can hack them and paste them on an armature.

Please answer.  Having all the Oni animations will boost my game to another level

#2 07/29/19 12:07

s10k
Website

Re: my ONI in the Blender Game engine - what i've done so far - check

Why don't you join the Terribilis Studio guys that are already working in the Unreal Engine for some time now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzQTOS7hTM

If everybody now and then start working in they own Oni Engine it is less likely that somebody will finish a product.

I don't want to demotivate you, I am just trying to be realist here, I think joining an existing project like this could bring more fruits.

Anyway good luck with your project.

You can extract the animations using OniSplit or with a GUI for it such as Vago. You can find more information in our wiki:
https://wiki.oni2.net/Modding_Oni
https://wiki.oni2.net/XML:TRAM

Last edited by s10k (07/29/19 12:07)

#3 07/29/19 12:07

onibge

wow,  i didnt expect an answer so quick ^^

yes, i knew that project but i bring something new : anyone who can use Blender could add and mod my game very easily, while with unreal engine, things become more complicated. My game will be open and free.

My problem is that i don't have a copy of Windows , nor Oni, so im unable to use those things. But, i would be so motivated if someone could just send me a sample of .dae he converted him-self so i can check if it works. I give  feed-back with a video

Last edited by onibge (07/29/19 12:07)

#4 07/30/19 11:07

s10k
Website

Without a copy of Oni it will be very hard to make much progress, especially if you are planning to use oni animations as place holders initially. So I would recommend you to get one first.

#5 07/30/19 18:07

onibge

i would like to be sure that Oni's animation could be correctly ported to blender before i start to find a copy of Oni, install windows and start to learn all those tutos

Could you please, send an exemple of an Oni's animation in the .dae format ?  I will show you the result in my game system in a video like below.  (its my fighting system) I will improve it a lot in next month

streamable.com/cck92

thx in you can help me

#6 08/03/19 07:08

Iritscen

Hi onibge, you can help yourself to a lot of Oni's animations by using OniSplit to operate on the demo's game data.  See here for the Mac demo or here for the Windows demo (I don't know what OS you're in), and here for OniSplit.  It's probably best if you learn to export these animations yourself since you will have to do that a lot if you're going to bring them into another engine.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 08/03/19 08:08

paradox-01

1 download and install the demo Iritscen linked you to

further steps for Winodws

2 export oni files by using CMD and OniSplit
http://mods.oni2.net/system/files/OniSp … 9.95.0.zip
to run onisplit you might need .NET framework
search old Windows' "system control"
> apps > add/remove feature > check .NET framework 3.5
//onisplit -export outputFolder inputFolder/datFile
onisplit -export level0_Final level0_Final.dat

3 convert oni to dae
onisplit -extract:xml outFolder -anim-body:level0_Final/ONCCkonoko_generic.oni level0_Final/TRAMKONCOMcomb_p.oni

4 optional: convert dae to fbx using autodesk fbx converter

if CMD is not your cup of tea use an OniSplit GUI
https://wiki.oni2.net/XML:TRAM#Via_Vago

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/03/19 08:08)

#8 08/03/19 10:08

onibge

Thx for all your answers.

But i'm simply asking for the moment a simple .dae (Oni walking for exemple or a kick)  .  I will show you on a video what it looks like in my game template.
Im' on Linux, i don't have Windows, nor a copy of Oni (but i guess i could find one) and it takes time to starting understand those modding tools.  Understand that i don't want to invest time and money on a solution leading to nothing.  So i need a simple sample of an .dae output .  If it works with Blender, then i will do the necessary myself and start to massively export animations and show/share you the result

Consider my project on Oni very serious as my template would be able to recreate an updated Oni with a new game fighting system using mouse movements as well. So i would be able to reproduce all the fighting moves but with a different command input.   The project will be open and free, coming with a wiki.
Anyone knowing the basics in Blender would be able to easily add content to the game as my template is focused on modularity.

So,  i just need a .dae  please  smile      I will feed this thread with regular updates. Please help me

Last edited by onibge (08/03/19 10:08)

#9 08/03/19 10:08

onibge

@ Iritscen

I tried with Wine, but it bugs due to the .NET FrameWork requirments.

@ paradox-01

If it's a simple command line, it's wonderful  smile

Would be so nice if you upload a .dae. I'm looking forward to check the result

#10 08/09/19 18:08

onibge

very strange ..  those people who prefer to spend 20 mins writing an answer than spending 2 mins helping you seriously..

But it's ok, I'll guess i will not have any help.

my game so far, the game system is like 70% done. Animations are lot of work.

streamable.com/m6be1

#11 08/09/19 19:08

Iritscen

onibge, I wonder how you're going to recreate Oni's gameplay without a copy of the game.  Surely it will be hard to capture the nuances of how the controls, combat and movement work if you can't play the game for comparison?  There are copies of the game available for a low price on sites like eBay and Amazon.

On the subject of running OniSplit, you're supposed to use Mono to run .NET apps in Linux/macOS.

Anyway, I want to talk for a bit about why no one has rushed to help you with a DAE.  One problem with your request for an animation is that you said "if it works with Blender".  Our experience has been that animations from Oni do not play properly in Blender when exported directly from the game data.  There are workarounds, but I'm not familiar enough with them myself, so maybe someone else can explain how to get properly playing animations from Oni into Blender.

A second issue is that some of us are not too keen on the idea of simply ripping Oni's animations and placing them in a new game, as that is infringement and makes your project more likely to run into legal difficulties.  It's fine if you just want to test an Oni animation in the game, but you might not want to copy Oni's entire set of animations.  Since you already have some starter animations in place, why not build on those?  You were talking about making a new combat system anyway.

I'm sorry if the above dampens your enthusiasm, but hopefully it helps you see our perspective, and understand why you didn't immediately get the help you requested.  It's nice to see the work you've done so far.

#12 08/10/19 04:08

onibge

yes, that's exactly the problem : you said ' Oni do not play properly in Blender when exported directly from the game data '  . I'm pro with Blender so i can figure how i could patch the .dae to convert it right.  But it's understandable that i will not buy a windows copy, find an Oni copy, spend 1 day or more to figure out how all this works .. for maybe a lost cause.

I like the idea to ripp all the animations of Oni, coz this way i have a complete set of animations directly. I don't have to adapt many animations found from many sources to have a messy set of animations in a result.  If it's illegal to re-use Oni's animation (20 years old game ! )  i would say it's my business (business with no money as it will be free and open source)

But i will not insist anymore, that rigid formal and close behaviour is something completely strange for me..  i still don't understand why it's such a problem to upload a simple .dae .  lol

#13 08/10/19 07:08

Iritscen

Just to reiterate, you can get a ton of animations out of the demo using the steps that Paradox gave you: http://mods.oni2.net/node/335.  We've given you a lot of help, even if it wasn't in the form that you wanted.  Consider this a test of your commitment :-)

#14 08/19/19 13:08

onibge

pitty my project is not taken seriously. I could have converted all the Oni animations to clean .dae's for everybody here...

Thats what I did with the mixamo animations (below) But i guess people are not really interested to see an open source Oni coming to life

streamable.com/wy3ic
streamable.com/b7fd8

#15 08/19/19 19:08

Iritscen

pitty my project is not taken seriously

Serious is as serious does smile  I appreciate your enthusiasm for the project.  Please just keep in mind that we have seen several other attempts to bring Oni to other game engines, including Unreal and Unity.  In almost every case, the person running the project had gotten animations and models from Oni into the engine before they even let people know they were working on anything.  They didn't even ask for guidance.  We've given you lots of guidance and still you want us to rip the actual data for you.  Where does that end?  It's important to show that you're self-sufficient and willing to learn, in order to give people faith in your project.

#16 08/20/19 06:08

onibge

Cool .. where are those projects ?  Ah, they stop because those guys realized that a game is not only pushing a button to play each imported animation.
never mind. I will work with mixamo animations for the moment.

P.S :  pratical help is not copy-paste guidance i never ask for it in the first place. I can google them, thx.  It's making someone saving his time on things he's not (yet) good at.    " Where does that end? " I don't know .. i just know that has to start before that could end .. lol

I will not

- go buy a 100$  copy of windows,
- deport all my files of external HD and all my special settings
- install a giant spyware called windows 10
- install drivers from 10 different sources
- waste my time understanding all those modding tools and fucking windows framework and stuff

.. to realize at the end of the day (2 days ?)  that the result don't match my expectations ...

So why asking on this forum a single little .dae to test as a preview is so foolish ? Certainly not. It's time saving coz it will cost you  1-2 minutes and me, 1-2 days with frustrations.  Yes, it's 2 minutes of your time .. that's why it's called "Help".

And the result you can see in the links are not the result of forum's bla bla. But practical focused work. Do you think our modern economy could work if one ask every one on everything to "do it yourself" and "willing to learn" ?  Lol. Go ask a doctor to build his own car or an engineer to operate his ill liver. I said i was pro with blender animations and offered to convert and archive those animations for the community (even 1 by 1). That's the deal .

bye

Last edited by onibge (08/20/19 06:08)

#17 08/20/19 07:08

Iritscen

To be clear, we explained to you how to run OniSplit (or any .NET application) in Linux, and pointed to a copy of the Oni demo with lots of data in it.  I'm not sure why you're already not familiar with Mono, as a Linux user, but no one was asking you to spend any money.  You could have had an animation in 5 minutes from when you started installing Mono and following Paradox's OniSplit instructions (steps 3 and 4).

As I warned you, though, Blender does not seem to like the DAEs that OniSplit exports, so you will face a significant hurdle making Oni's animations work.  Here's the basic punch animation with Konoko's model: http://iritscen.oni2.net/temp/TRAMKONCOMcomb_p.dae.zip.  It looks good outside of Blender, but when imported to Blender, Konoko goes flying into the sky like a ragdoll.

#18 08/20/19 16:08

onibge

thank you.  For some reasons i messed up my packages repository and cannot install Wine. hmm

Well, after freezing the hips, it's obviously a right punch but the legs seem to move a lot too. Strange the hips location change so much.

Does the original .oni animation can be open in a text editor ? I would like to have a look.  If i compare the 2 files for the hip i will quickly see what i can do to fix.

#19 08/20/19 17:08

Iritscen

No, the original .oni file is in a binary format that isn't human-readable.  [Edit: I've been reminded that if you export the .oni to XML, it is human-readable, so I've uploaded that here: http://iritscen.oni2.net/temp/TRAMKONCOMcomb_p.xml.zip. This is an XML rendering of the raw info that Oni uses for its animations.]

Someone else might be able to explain the process to you, but if you convert the DAE to the FBX format before taking it into Blender, it might play correctly.

Just to be clear, installing Wine should not be needed for installing Mono.  You should only need Mono itself: https://www.mono-project.com/download/s … wnload-lin

#20 08/21/19 19:08

onibge

hello,

thank you. No, i tried Mono with the little test exemple and i won't try to struggle with my linux repositories which became a mess. I will probably ask a friend a copy of Windows later and come back here when my project has stronger backbone.    It was funny, because i think a bit about the above conversation and the misunderstood. I think that in your perspective the oni's animations are for the game the beginning to start with so it was essential for you to I learn to get them to boot my project.  In my perspective, animations are just to fill empty actions slots which can filled by any animations until i find the good ones. Animations can be put last in the workflow even if they give quick satisfaction. That's why i was not willing to investigate Oni's modding world coz it's very easy to lose time. For exemple, i lost 1 day trying to get rid of a glitch . So it's very important to never lose focus on the essential.

I'll will have a look on that xml. Happy to see that there's another solution with those .fbx  (i guess nobody had package them all in a .zip ?)

#21 08/21/19 20:08

Iritscen

Nope, nobody has uploaded all the animations in any format.  We try not to distribute the game data needlessly.

#22 08/30/19 20:08

onibge

just testing the collisions .. not real game yet wink  but funny

https://streamable.com/142bb

Last edited by onibge (09/12/19 18:09)

#23 08/31/19 06:08

Iritscen

Heh, kickable furniture, well that's one feature that Oni failed to deliver on.

#24 08/31/19 09:08

onibge

in my game, a rigid body object can be : target-able , taken, thrown, destroyed (just remeshed or disappear)

Enemies once dead are like objects you can take, carry and throw on other enemies for exemple.   The object you carry will define the : carry, throw and use animation.  If for example you carry a prisoner, and target a seat, she will make the prisoner sit. The object in game will have as property the animation to play when carry, throw, grab, use .. so anyone who can use blender can create an asset :

exemple for the anims ; how you pick up the gun, how you walk when carry it, how you throw it once empty, how you use it (shooting)

Just have to make the animation.. no limits , but lot of work to do.

Cutscenes, sounds, more and more animations, game UI

Last edited by onibge (09/12/19 18:09)

#25 08/31/19 10:08

Iritscen

Sounds interesting!

Board footer