Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/03/19 15:05

tuqqer

Need complete instructions on how to install Oni again on Mojave

I had to do a clean install on my Mac Pro (late 2013) running Mojave 10.14.4, and now Oni won't run. I tried downloading a fresh copy of Oni I get a message saying Uh oh! Unable to launch Neovim, and the Oni app is a completely different icon than I had before (this one is a blue-green circle).

Can someone point me to the instructions on how to install Oni again? Apologies for losing the instructions.

#2 05/03/19 15:05

Iritscen

Re: Need complete instructions on how to install Oni again on Mojave

Sorry tuqqer, you've fallen for another app that also calls itself Oni (those poseurs!).  Oni the game is not legally available for download.  If you obtain a retail copy, it will either launch fine once it's installed or else it may require the newest game application to run: http://mods.oni2.net/node/320.  You will also get the application installed automatically if you install the Anniversary Edition.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/03/19 16:05

tuqqer

Dang! Ok, I've uninstalled that fake Oni and installed the Oni 1.2.1. I've also downloaded the AE, and after following these instructions:

1. Open the Terminal and type "xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine " (don't forget the space at the end), then drag the Anniversary Edition Setup application into the window.  The command should look like this:

xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/Anniversary\ Edition\ Setup.app

Hit Enter to run the command.  This will un-quarantine the app.

... Oni still doesn't open the Play window. It does launch and I see Oni in the menubar (and About Oni gets me version 1.2.1), there's no window that allows me to play.

Is there something else I need to install? Or a way to verify if all files are where they are suppose to be?

#4 05/03/19 16:05

Iritscen

Hmm, if Oni is launching then it should be un-quarantined (a quarantine would hide the game data files from Oni, causing it to immediately quit upon being launched).  Try launching Oni in windowed mode -- the AE Installer has a button for that.  Also try removing the intro.mov file from GameDataFolder.

#5 05/03/19 16:05

tuqqer

Ok, when I launch the green Anniversary Edition Setup.app, and hit the Start button, it brings up a "Please locate your Oni installation." When I go to the Oni 1.2.1 folder, the Oni.app is greyed out, so I can't highlight it.

#6 05/04/19 07:05

Iritscen

You don't have to pick the application itself, just the folder it's in.

#7 05/04/19 08:05

tuqqer

Ok, that got me another step forward! It opened up the window that allowed me to select any of the dozens of mods, which I did, and after deselecting any incompatibles, it says congratulations, you may now run AE Oni.

However, when I click on the Oni app, it does open Oni (in the Finder menubar), but still no game.

Not sure if this forum allows images, but here's a screenshot of all of my Oni files in my Application folder, placed on the imgur website:

https://i.imgur.com/fT3vfmX.jpg

I DEEPLY appreciate this help, all.

Last edited by tuqqer (05/04/19 08:05)

#8 05/04/19 13:05

Iritscen

I don't see any obvious issues.  Can you try, or have you tried, these things?:
- Rename "Oni ƒ" to just "Oni", or anything that doesn't have a space character or the 'ƒ' character in it.
- Remove intro.mov from AE/GameDataFolder/.
- Run Oni in windowed mode from the AE Installer.

#9 05/04/19 13:05

tuqqer

I'm realizing now that, in my many attempts to get Oni working, I have some duplicate folders. Is there a screenshot somewhere that shows exactly what is supposed to be in the master Oni 1.2.1 folder, and in what order? I may be able to start deleting stuff from there.

Is the Oni app supposed to be in the first level of the main folder? Or is it supposed to be tucked into some other folder. Man, what a fine mess I've made.

Last edited by tuqqer (05/04/19 13:05)

#10 05/04/19 14:05

Iritscen

It's not a big deal, there are supposed to be two Oni installations, the original and the AE inside that one.  You don't have any unnecessary files inside those two directories.  Did you try my suggestions?

#11 05/04/19 14:05

tuqqer

Hi Iritscen, thanks for staying on this with me. I decided to deinstall everything and start from scratch. I removed all files, restarted the MacPro, then re-installed the Oni.dmg, the reinstalled the AE setup, which gave me the option to select some mods.  Then, as per your suggestions, I changed the folder name to just Oni, removed the .mov file from within the blessed GameDateFolder.

I then tried launching the Oni.app file ( Oni 1.2.1>Oni>AE>Oni.app ), but the same thing: it appears in the Finder menubar (About Oni says Oni version 1.2.1), but no game appears.

I reopen Run AE Installer.app (Oni 1.2.1>Oni>AE>Run AE Installer.app ), and select Run Oni (windowed), and then try double clicking the above Oni.app, but still the same behavior. I try selecting the Run Oni (fullscreen), but same behavior.

Is there a step-by-step how-to some place. I'm not familiar with all of the files/forums/wikis. I pretty green with all this, and I suspect I'm doing something massively wrong.

#12 05/04/19 15:05

Iritscen

No step-by-step, no.  Usually the installation of the AE Setup is the trickiest part.  Not sure if we're dealing with a problem with the app being out-of-date for modern macOS, but it shouldn't be that, as I run Oni in 10.14.4 all the time.  A few things to try:

- Please move the Oni directory to a path without spaces in it.  It might not be causing any issues, but it's best to rule this out, as it used to be a problem for Oni.  You just need the Oni directory with its vanilla installation and the AE directory inside it that the Installer creates, not the parent "Oni 1.2.1" directory.  Just put "Oni" at the top level of your hard drive or inside /Applications/.

- To be clear, you'll need to remove intro.mov from the AE's GameDataFolder, not Oni's GDF.  That's what you did, right?

- The "Run Oni" button in the AEI should run Oni; you shouldn't need to click on the app yourself if you're pressing this button.

- After launching and quitting Oni, gracefully if possible (does Cmd-Q work?), can you post the contents of startup.txt here?

#13 05/04/19 16:05

tuqqer

I'm running on a Late 2013 MacPro trash can, with 3.7 GHz Quad-Core, 32Gb of RAM, 100s of Gb of free space on internal SSD, Mojave 10.14.4

* Placed Oni Directory directly in top level of -/Applications folder (separate from Oni AE setup folder), removed all spaces, name is only Oni.
* Removed intro.mov from AE GDF, made sure intro.mov was still in Oni's GDF.
* Restarted.
* Ran AEI and after installing around 50 of the mods (no incompatibles), clicked on Run Oni in the AE Installer 2.30 window. Each time I  would click, nothing would happen, however, a new Oni app will show up in the built-in App Switcher (Command-Tab). At one point after trying multiple Run Oni Fullscreen and Windowed, I Command-Tabbed and saw 13 Oni icons. Quit each of those. Tried clicking just on the Oni.app in the top level of the Oni/AE/ folder and same behavior.

Here is the contents of startup.txt after I Command-Q the app:

(EDIT: however, this startup.txt file shows "Date Modified" as 2/19/18. Seems to me this should show today's date.

Begin initializing Oni v1.2.1.
Oni is in Shipping Mode with Developer Mode enabled.
Looking for the game data folder.
initializing template manager...
DataFolder = GameDataFolder
Created a file iterator for the data folder.
Got Level Info for level10_Final.dat.
Valid Level level10_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level2_Final.dat.
Valid Level level2_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level9_Final.dat.
Valid Level level9_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level4_Final.dat.
Valid Level level4_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level11_Final.dat.
Valid Level level11_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level3_Final.dat.
Valid Level level3_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level8_Final.dat.
Valid Level level8_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level12_Final.dat.
Valid Level level12_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level0_Final.dat.
Valid Level level0_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level14_Final.dat.
Valid Level level14_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level19_Final.dat.
Valid Level level19_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level6_Final.dat.
Valid Level level6_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level13_Final.dat.
Valid Level level13_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level1_Final.dat.
Valid Level level1_Final.dat
Got Level Info for level18_Final.dat.
Valid Level level18_Final.dat
calling TMrRegisterTemplates
calling ONrRegisterTemplates
initializing oni platform-specific code...
initializing sound system 2, basic level...
initializing basic sound system 2 layer...
initializing oni persistance...
initializing scripting...
initializing binary data system...
initializing imaging...
initializing image system...
initializing motoko...
initializing 3D display system..
initializing geometry engines...
initializing draw engines...
initializing physics...
initializing oni motoko...
initializing local input...
initializing input system...
initializing animation system...
initializing animation system...
initializing environment...
initializing text system...
initializing the console...
initializing the materials...
initializing the full sound system 2...
initializing full sound system 2...
initializing particle 3...
initializing oni particle 3...
initializing env particle system...
initializing physics...
initializing game state...
initializing ai 2...
initializing window manager...
initializing film system...
initializing level...
initializing oni scripting...
initializing OBDr...
initializing OBJr...
initializing oni cinematics...
initializing oni sound...
initializing oni movie...
initializing the pause screen...
finished oni initializing
loading level 0...
setting up 3d engine...
creating new OpenGL context
OpenGL platform initialization
Attempting resolution change to 2560x1440x32
OpenGL vendor = ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer = AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D300 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL version = 1.4 ATI-1.60.26
OpenGL extensions = GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
multitexturing is available ...
multipass being used
OpenGL supports 8 texturing units
Initializing the Oni Window...
displaying splash screen...
configuring console...
engine startup complete, launch the out-of-game UI...
out-of-game UI exited...
loading config file...
running game...
beginning exit process...
OpenGL disposed properly
oni exit complete, shutting down...

Last edited by tuqqer (05/04/19 16:05)

#14 05/04/19 18:05

Iritscen

That startup log seems to be for a successful run of Oni.  The old modification date on it tells me that it is not the current log.  Not sure why it hasn't been updated by your recent running of Oni.  A couple more thoughts:

- Please check your AEI (AE Installer) preferences and tell me if the box for "Enable starting video on installation" is checked.  If so, every time you hit Install, the intro.mov from Oni's GDF (GameDataFolder) is being copied to the AE GDF, so you'll want to turn that off or else remove/rename the intro.mov in Oni/GDF/.
- Run the command

xattr -r /Applications/Oni/AE/Oni.app

in Terminal and tell me the results.  This command will tell us if the app is somehow quarantined.

#15 05/04/19 19:05

tuqqer

/a2PRwSJ

Ok, the above is the extension of an imgur image of my desktop, showing:

1. Finder folder layout of Oni
2. Terminal bash window showing results of the command (looking like nothing came back)
3. AE Installer preferences, with that box unchecked as suggested
4. AE Installer window, where I try clicking both Run Oni buttons each time.

Just realized that the AEI is actually called "Run AE Installer.app" in my folder. Hope that's what it's supposed to be called.

#16 05/04/19 20:05

Iritscen

Sorry if the forum still isn't letting you post live links. It used to allow it after you'd made 10 posts.  I tried pasting that text in as the address https://imgur.com/a2PRwSJ.jpg and it says that it's been removed.  Maybe you can try posting it again.  But if nothing came back from the Terminal command then Oni is not quarantined, so it should be able to read its game data and write to startup.txt.  I'm increasingly puzzled by this issue and may have to attempt a fresh install myself.  Apple is continuing to ratchet up the security protocols in the OS, so it's possible that something now in place is affecting installation that wasn't affecting me when I performed the installations a while ago.

To clarify, the Mac version of the AE uses Run AE Installer to launch the AEI.  The actual AEI is hidden a couple levels down in the AEInstaller/ folder and requires special launch conditions, so I made the AppleScript application Run AE Installer as a convenience.  So when I say "open the AEI", I just mean double-click that script like you did.

A couple more things to try:
- Launch Oni with the -nosparkle argument.  Open the file Oni/AE/launch_args.txt and add "-nosparkle" to it (with a space character separating it from any other arguments in the file), then try clicking on the Oni app there.
- Uninstall all optional mods by unchecking all the mods and clicking Install again.  One mod or bad interaction may be causing this whole problem.  Honestly, 50 mods is a bit much for the game.  You're safer installing about 20 at once.

#17 05/04/19 20:05

tuqqer

I'm going to try these latest tips, but until then, here's the new link, let's see if it comes through:
https://i.imgur.com/tkKSCFU.jpg

#18 05/04/19 20:05

tuqqer

Well, "-nosparkle" was the ticket. I added it to that text file, and now Oni opens just like always, but via either the Oni.app app, or via this AE Installer (Run Oni fullscreen).

I've never used any of these AE mods before. I will uninstall most of them as you suggested, but how does one run them. I'm familiar with the F1 key and typing things like "superammo", "liveforever", and so on.

#19 05/04/19 21:05

Iritscen

Aha, interesting, but concerning.  Sparkle is supposed to check for updates but instead it's just hanging.  Feral's update server must have moved or something.  I'm going to change the default launch_args.txt file to turn off Sparkle so this doesn't happen to other people.  But I'm glad Oni is working for you now.

As far as using the mods, it depends on what type of mod you installed.  You should be reading the instructions for each one before you choose to enable it.  The new characters are accessed either with F8 (shapeshifter) or by loading a level that was designed to include them.  The new levels will show up in the Load Game screen.

#20 05/06/19 08:05

tuqqer

Amazing help and troubleshooting on this, Iritscen. Thank you again. I will take your suggest on the mods, turn them all off and then try out one at a time. I wasn't able to see any of the new levels at the Load Game screen, but that could be still because I have too many loaded at once. I'll report back how it goes.

#21 05/06/19 08:05

Iritscen

Sure, let us know.

Board footer