Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/03/17 17:10

levka1

Help Oni is lagging on laptop!

Hey Guys, been long time since i played last time Oni. Lately installed it on my laptop: yet after sometime i realized the russian version of the game was crap and reinstalled to the english version. Since then the 3d level with Barabas lags very much.
Tried searching for solutions on the forum: like updating the drivers via control panel\nvidia website, changing oni.exe and several other files. At first i thought holy $hit 40 mods, but then i saw that even with no mods on it lags sad
It seems to happen VERY intensely during the time Barabas uses cannon, less when in battle..
I also cant open Oni using Anniversary edition window, onl by opening Oni.exe in the folder directly..
Here are my spec ops:
Windows 10,i5-6200( 2.30 4 cpu),8 gb ram. intel graphics 520,NVIDIA GeForce 920MX

Thank you for any Help! I would really like to fix this issue sad

Last edited by levka1 (10/03/17 18:10)

#2 10/04/17 03:10

s10k
Website

Re: Help Oni is lagging on laptop!

Do you have your motherboard drivers updated?

Not sure if it helps but try to force run the game with your dedicated nvidia card:
force_nvidia.png

(that should translate to something like this in english: "Execute with the graphics processor" > "High performance NVIDIA processor")

Last edited by s10k (10/04/17 03:10)

#3 10/04/17 05:10

TOCS

Did you experience this problem when playing the Russian version as well? From my experience, laptops, and especially those which aren't build for gaming, tend to have throttling and performance issues despite being well equipped hardware wise. Do you experience similar problems in other games? If so, try monitoring your CPU/GPU usage and temperatures to see if you can rule out the hardware being the problem.

#4 10/04/17 05:10

s10k
Website

TOCS wrote:

From my experience, laptops, and especially those which aren't build for gaming, tend to have throttling and performance issues despite being well equipped hardware wise.

That computer should have no problem running oni. But it can be as you say, it can be throttling (in that case you should clearly hear the fans at max and having problems with other games). This is usually caused by not cleaning the fans and replacing thermal paste regularly.

Last edited by s10k (10/04/17 06:10)

#5 10/04/17 10:10

levka1

I checked the cpu and the temperatures of the hardware and everything seemed to perform good!

Thank you s10k! you solution worked very good, just opened Oni using Nvidia setting and set the Vsync to On and now all seems to run smoothly!
Thank you for your help guys!
Btw i am currenty learning code, is there a team\individual working on a project\Anniversary edition enhancement?

#6 10/04/17 10:10

s10k
Website

Oh interesting to know that you needed to activate VSync to fix it. Not sure if there's any team project running up, but check the wiki or start your own! I am sure the community will be glad to help. smile

#7 11/30/17 09:11

souvlaki

Interesting, I had the same issue on a virtual machine with Windows XP / 7 / 10 (Parallels Desktop)
Not sure how does one turn on VSync on a VM though...

Last edited by souvlaki (11/30/17 09:11)

#8 11/30/17 17:11

s10k
Website

Oni requires an 3d accelerated card I believe, so you also need to activate video 3d acceleration on the virtual machine.

#9 12/02/17 07:12

souvlaki

That's a good point. But TES IV Oblivion ran smoothly on the VM, so I guess 3D acceleration had been activated

Board footer