You are not logged in.

#301 09/26/17 17:09

semicloud

Re: Oni remake

Untitled.png

#302 09/26/17 17:09

semicloud

i vie for for this method cause i get to control the exact geometric, look, and feel of character rather than rescuing import debacles with imports with angles. u can cut a mesh to exact specs reducing and upping detail as you please. u can have complete control this way. model is already correctly angled and mirrored. each base mesh probably have 10 to 15 save states or more for you to revert and u can correctly repurpose each mesh to be different character. at this stage this saved mesh could be repurposed to be a ninja or muro. project file can be quickly shared, reused. once the mesh character is created with save stages, creating new characters become as simple as modification.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 18:09)

#303 09/26/17 20:09

semicloud

i'm deciding wat to do here. blender doesn't have support for shadow on legacy graphics card as the system i'm developing on. i could opt to write the engine entirely but that would push the project back too long. i would have to upgrade my pc, though i do have the means to do it. though the idea of writing another engine with legacy support is quite interesting. this would be an entirely specialized engine for games. will be in a different calibur. don't know wat to do here. honestly, u would already witnessed a demo already the time me trying to bug fix features and researching api/language to write the engine. i can swap this computer out, but the idea of doing a game engine is tempting. there is some really awesome features i want to do like code hight lighting which blender doesn't support. also it's insanely fun writing the frame work. there are also so features blender lacks that could be really useful.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 20:09)

#304 09/27/17 11:09

ltemplar

Umm..ok...
But I have a questions then...
How do You plan to animate it? Via bones/armature and skin..or in different way?
I also want to know if You are planing to use the IK chains for legs only or for arms too?
Do you pan to add fingers to the human character bone structure?

Ltempalr.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/27/17 11:09)

#305 09/27/17 13:09

semicloud

IK chains. also, i been discussing several solves with the shading issue. i would have to upgrade my hardware if i want shadows which is necessary for ONi at this point. writing my own engine engine is the second option. an upgrade is not too much beyond my means. but open sourcing a engine with legacy hardware support is definitely interesting. it would be something good that arise out this project.

Last edited by semicloud (09/29/17 00:09)

#306 09/30/17 00:09

semicloud

i'm looking at the possibility of oni hombrew on psp hacked firmware ware. featuring oni advance edition with enhanced game play. the joystick on the psp is garbage, though oni advance, the control scheme may be reworked to a tomb raider style camera type with no user panning.

Untitled.png

the game engine is in C, native variant to psp firmware. there is no third party api for like GL runs on psp as u know. the 3d api will be written from scratch. i already have 90 percent of the math of projective geometry worked out to do this anyway so this is a natural evolution of the idea. so maybe open sourcing the engine here so anybody here can make mods of advance on psp.

there is also the possibility of psp multiplayer depending on how mature the hacking community for this product is. i'm not big at all into modding and hacking as you know. i chose this because there exist a developed hacking tools for psp, homebrew, emulator etc. i figure the tools are available. i found some videos online of a guy claiming to have made a simple space invader claim with a open source frame work. i'm poised to test out his toolset.

again, this will not be the same game ported to psp. and technically, it's not a port. though it has elements of porting, possible reuse of textures if i can type the image library to read png. i forsee texture being definite at least. this will be advance edition of ONi of course with all the features i have already mentioned.

this idea was partly inspired by running oni windowed in the AE install menu. once realize oni was released for the playstation. the pc version was probably a port so the control scheme wasn't reworked. u see this in the auto locking feature. for this game to run on  portable console seems to be perfect. though i have to work out a control scheme for the camera. tombraider didn't have camera control which was automatic. there was a look button. but this can be done without using the the psp joystick. it's actually a test in minimal design. if you look at the snes type controller configuration, u see psp has block button on the top. the joy stick is at an angle where it require your hand to disengage from all ergonomic at this point.

-triangle will be punch
-square block
-circle throw
-square block

direction key from w, a,s d,
camera pan works like this, the direction pad isn't designed well, but we will use it because it's there for that purpse.
camera pan will just be the direction pad located below the directoin key. it's the black circle thing. u can't really pan and run at the same time.

left trigger on top is Q draw
right trigger is E to drop

i'm shadow testing the controls. seem's proper.

notice the fact there is a dedicated block button. the attack scheme is exactly like doa. interesting how it worked out perfectly for this game.

actually,

left trigger will be draw
crouch will be right trigger

circle will be to pick up an itime

actually, this is brilliant. i worked out this control scheme in tombraider remake.

to pick up an item, this is brilliant.

you press right trigger to crouch, which is shift in oni.
while in crouch position, you press circle.

this does two fold, separate controls but also prevent konoko from throwing and picking up item at the same time.

Last edited by semicloud (09/30/17 02:09)

#307 09/30/17 02:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

to pick up item on ground, you crouch, then circle

circle also allow u to interact with terminal and civilians

the select key left to start button f1 will be hypo probably

--actually, f1 in the diagram will be hypo, and select to the left will be f1

#308 09/30/17 02:09

ltemplar

So how do you supposedly want to hack an psp emulator, and on top of that port oni to it? This will be even more "suicidal" task than writing the engine from scratch in my opinion.
1. You need to know exactly how this emulator works , I skip the part where you need to obtain legal bios plugin from psp...
2.Rewrite the control schematics to work on psp
3.Port the entire game on new device....

Despite thus three points ... how do you plan to add better resolution for screen , textures , etc. when using emulator?
But If you are so knee to do something like that , why not use the PS2 copy of ONI and use PSX2 emulator for hacking instead of psp one?
This will reduce the work You have to do significantly(if you are cable to port it that is).

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/30/17 02:09)

#309 09/30/17 02:09

semicloud

it's not an emulator. they have emulators for games like snes. they call it emulation, but i will not be using emulation. i will be using home brew tools to draw pixels and logic.

they hacked psp to let u write C to output to a console with C draw function library. as long as u can draw pixel to a screen, you can write. just look at homebrew library, u will see.

the hardest part about the engine is the projective math involved involved to how to translate 3d geometry to 2d pixel. i already worked out most of the math.

i'm not porting the game, i'm remaking the game in C native. the only thing that's ported are the textures and audio in standard png and wav format, probably standard library can recognize, if not i write a reader to do it.

third, i don't have to hack the console, it's already hacked by a community who have home brew C tools to install onto the device. all i do is download the tools to do it.

#310 09/30/17 02:09

ltemplar

So isn't that exactly the same, as to writ the engine from scratch (with obvious limitations)?
Why not use the blender game engine , game maker ,  unity or Unreal  instead.Is there any advantage in this?

"third, i don't have to hack the console, it's already hacked by a community who have home brew C tools to install onto the device. all i do is download the tools to do it."
And how this will help You port the Oni(not to mention mod tools etc)?Please enlighten me..

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/30/17 02:09)

#311 09/30/17 02:09

semicloud

those don't run on psp.

not porting oni, i'm remaking oni in C with audio and texture from game. nobody will help me. i'm doing it. actually, they helped me already by hacking it.

first i will show you how console and screen output is done in homebrew.

then i will gradually start write the engine. from there.

as long as u can output to screen, u have a engine. there is probably some native libraries to read image files and audio.

i'm making the modding tool. it's call the engine i'm building on home brew. if u want to mod this game, you use the engine i write and import texture and audio, maybe animation. too early for that rite now.

i'm still waiting for the data capable to come in so i can install third party firmware.

it's not really a port, it's a remake on a different system. it will feel like a port because i will recreate the feel and look accurately

imagine if u had mario on snes. but u have a different system like pc. a port would be to copy the source code and translate it directly to pc code.

a remake is where u take what you see from the game from experience and copy by visual inspection the aniimation by eye so it will look like it.

it's partial port in that i may use textures from vago extraction and maybe audio. don't know.

#312 09/30/17 02:09

ltemplar

So if I catch it right(correct me if I'm wrong), You actually want to rewrite the Oni to work on the PSP console instead of PC, and add the mod tolls on top of that?

#313 09/30/17 02:09

semicloud

yes, correct. forget the term modding. i'm just remaking oni with my engine.

if you want to mod the game meaning add stuff, u will just use my engine to do it. u don't have to hack my files. to do it. unless you just like hacking.

at that point, if this game do end up happening, not sure cause it's getting more ambitious by the minute, people would want to hack my version. but they won't be able to hack it cause i'm just gona open source my engine. defeats the entire purpose of hacking

hacking/modding is done when studio don't open source their engine to fans so they have to hack format. u know this already. modding/hacking is entirely pointless because i think it's healthy for a game company to share their tools upon request.

#314 09/30/17 15:09

semicloud

i did more research on the subject matter. seem like the hacking scene for the original psp is mature. coding for this platform may be a real possiblility here. i been looking at some instructional material and the tools. seem pretty legit. there are home brew games made for it. though i could tell u the fact that i got emulation to work on the system in the past. that a strong indication of a hacking presence.

home brew is C, though there seem to be a scripting frame work that let u run a live compile on windows before exporting the booter. my concerns are firmware version control. but i think that won't be an issue.

Last edited by semicloud (09/30/17 15:09)

#315 10/01/17 12:10

semicloud

i talked about i ONI: ADvance, poised to be featured on the PSP now. the implementation of a skill system. i want to expound on the fact more. technically, ONI has a simple skill system. notice her moves are unlocked through levels. the skill system i developed was simply an extension of that concept. the idea is taking the original did and improving the idea, not to take away. that's the whole concept of wat i was doing.

a skill tree will be more definite on a game like ADvance in the fact it advances all aspect of game play. in this case, it would be advancing an after thought hex activated animation on x Level which any modder probably can do to something fleshed out. a complete implementation of D2 skill tree.

the D2 skill tree was probably the most unforgiving system in any game. the fact that you misalloted your skills, your character will become too weak to survive. i am propagating this concept in advance to be instaneously. though, advance may end up more forgiving though i highlty doubt it.

here is how the skill system work. you gain AS(arm strength) by damaging enemy with a punch. when u accumulated let's say 10 AS points u get 1 skill point for any punch based attack. AS meters clears when you get 1 AS-SP arm strength skill point so u will know your next skill level. LS (leg strength) work the same way.  LS-SP (leg strength skill points) alloted toward any kick attacks.

depending on the type of the throw, u can only unlock it with a certain AS points or LS points. as oppose to having it unlocked automatically on like the original. this way, you have to specialize in the way you fight.

Last edited by semicloud (10/01/17 12:10)

#316 10/01/17 13:10

semicloud

here is how combo work

punch                              kick
damage: ?                       damage
->
left hook
damage: ?
->
triple haymaker

left hook can only be unlocked with a certain AS points

Last edited by semicloud (10/01/17 13:10)

#317 10/01/17 13:10

semicloud

punch  (0 AS point to unlock)                           
->
left hook   (requirement:10 AS)                 punch throw (10 AS)                   
damage: ?                                                 damage:?
->
triple haymaker  (req: 20 AS)

how much AS or LS point required to unlock that skill is directly proportionally to how further down the skill tree.

left hook is unlocked at 10 AS points

also, the further down a move is, the more powerful the attack is.

#318 10/01/17 13:10

semicloud

there won't be a skill tree for weapons. you will have to forage for ammo. also, there is a separate bash system in the terminals where you can root a ammo box. you will have to talk to civilians to obtain the hack commands. also, terminal access skill tree by default. to hack ammo boxes, you need a portable hacker. terminals can hack doors and cameras. there will be different hacks you can do. there will also be weapons manuals u can obtain how you to assemble mines. mines require two component, a bomb piece and a sensor which you can find through out the level.

#319 10/02/17 00:10

ltemplar

20 AS points to unlock full combo? So my character need to punch 20 times or You plan to implement different method of gathering such points?
...you will have to forage for ammo.." - Ummm.. how this will work exactly? Via menu, before mission start or directly on the battlefield?
The hacking could be interesting though. Can you to elaborate this subject a bit more?

Ltemplar.

#320 10/02/17 21:10

semicloud

any time u damage a person by punching, u get AS points. so if u punch a factory work and damage him, u get 1 AS point. once u accumulate 7 AS point, u get 1 AS-skill point to allot to your skill node to power up any punch move. so u can put 1 AS-skill point toward powering up a punch move. i don't want to elaborate too much until this game becomes a definite reality.  LS point is the same way except u have to successfuly damage someone with a kick to earn it.

foraging for ammo is simple. it works exactly like ONi where ammo is placed through out the game to you to find. a red ammo clip may be behind some boxes for you to push away or on top of a ledge which you have to jump up.

hacking is pretty simple. you talk to a civilian who may give you a bash code access code. he may tell you u can sudo access a camera by typing in certain bash commands at the terminal. you can also get a portable hacker for ammo boxes.

also, the  f1 menu can only be accessed at a terminal.

here is how hacking works. you talk to civilian X, he may give you a flash drive with a piece of hack program that you can use at a terminal to upload a command module. so he may have a piece of code that let you use "cd" on a console or something or you can
run command

to open a certain door, you would need to know the name of a door. door 1 would be in code door_post_x. you can obtain such information by at terminal by running a show command.

to open door, you would type in run hack.exe door_post_x which would hack access to the door

#321 10/03/17 21:10

semicloud

there is a way to fake shadows with multitexture in BL. i learned in TRLE which uses shadow lamps. BL engine settings don't auto-do this so there is a way to fake how shadow lamp work. sorta off. u set a fall off distance on a regular lamp. fortunately, original oni don't have advance shadow effects. i can get away with this by faking shade settings with a fall off setting on a lamp. GLSL mode has real buffered shadows but require more advance PC that i don't care to get rite now.

Last edited by semicloud (10/04/17 15:10)

#322 10/05/17 05:10

ltemplar

GLSL is a bit "clumsy" in blender game engine either(when we talk about shadows casting). BY "fake shadow map" you are referring to pre-baked light-map?If not can you clarify this a bit more?

Ltemplar.

#323 10/05/17 09:10

semicloud

it probably is since BL engine isn't really stress tested in making real games. but u cant beat BL engine's work flow. u can get decent shadows with GLSL if it works correctly. i have to try it on a new machine. when i say fake shadows i mean using a regular light. but u set the influence to say a distance of 10. anything beyond that would just be dark. that's how you fake shadows. u get kinda get away with it doing like that cause in ONi shadows aren't that pronounced.

#324 10/05/17 09:10

semicloud

also, i want to hear wat u guys think of this. i can't obtain the rights to ONi so i can't really do a remake anyway. i'm thinking about making another game that has similar mechanics with the BL engine. it will have similar stealth element, gun play, and hand to hand combat but with also advance element as vehicles and climbing. tougher AI and lethality in weapons.

Last edited by semicloud (10/05/17 09:10)

#325 10/05/17 09:10

s10k
Website

a spiritual successor is definitively the right direction.

Board footer