Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/26/17 18:09

Rostner

AE installed on Mac OSX 10.11.6 but doesn't run AE Oni

Hey guys,

I finally got around to making a .cdr of Oni so I could play it on my new computer, and it's awesome! I've been playing the vanilla version for a bit, but I thought I would try out the mods.

So I got the AE Installer all set up, at least I think so, and I click on the mods I want. I click the install button and click to run Oni from inside the AE Installer and it just comes up with the regular vanilla version. Any thoughts on the issue?

I think I installed it properly, but if it helps here is my file layout:
Applications
    /Oni
        /Game Data Folder
        Oni.app
        persist.dat
        key_config.txt
        script_debug.txt
        debugger.txt
        startup.txt
        launch_args.txt
        /AE
            etc. (ie. everything the AE Installer setup did)

#2 09/26/17 21:09

Iritscen

Re: AE installed on Mac OSX 10.11.6 but doesn't run AE Oni

Hmm, this sounds like a problem with the most recent Intel build of Oni; it remembers the location of the GameDataFolder you last used.  In this case, the Oni.app inside AE/ is launching, but it's loading the GDF in Oni/.  Try deleting com.godgames.oni.plist from ~/Library/Preferences, and then tell the AEI to launch Oni again.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 09/26/17 22:09

Rostner

It didn't seem to do anything. I also tried deleting the folder and reinstalling AEI but that didn't change anything either.

#4 09/27/17 07:09

Iritscen

Try renaming the GameDataFolder that's in Oni/.  That should break any link between Oni and that particular folder, which might trigger the "Select Retail Installation Directory" dialog and allow you to pick the GDF inside AE/.

Just to be safe, instead of using the AEI, try clicking on the Oni.app inside AE/ yourself, just to be sure of which one is launching (though I don't think that's the issue).

#5 09/27/17 20:09

Rostner

That did the trick. I was able to open the AE through the Oni.app and AEI. I changed the GDF name before installing the AEI again and  it didn't let me install it.

So basically, in order to install it you have to leave the GDF as is, then install, then change the GDF name and have AEI target the "new" GDF folder in AE/. Has everyone else had to do the same thing?

#6 09/27/17 20:09

Iritscen

Well, the issue may not affect users if they never ran the Intel build with the standard GDF before they installed the AE, and then they only run the Oni.app within AE/.  I haven't been hearing a lot of reports one way or the other, though.  Hopefully the next Intel build will not have this issue.

#7 09/28/17 18:09

Rostner

Alright, so another issue. I've restarted my computer and now I get this error message:

"This program has to be placed in the subfolder AE/AEInstaller/bin inside a vanilla Oni folder.
The full path of the .jar-file has to be
OniFolder/AE/AEInstaller/bin/AEInstaller2.jar"

The thing is, the .jar-file is in the correct location... I haven't changed anything since I last used it before I restarted the computer. I imagine reinstalling the AEInstaller would fix it, but I don't believe I want to do that every time I restart my computer.

#8 09/28/17 18:09

Iritscen

I took a look at the code for the AEI, and the way that it makes sure it's in the right place is to look for "GameDataFolder" in the vanilla Oni folder :-)  This actually makes sense because the AEI needs that folder as a data source when it first initializes the AE.  So to mollify the AEI, you should set that folder's name back to the way it was.  Oni has now attached itself to the AE GDF, so it shouldn't confuse it at this point when you play the game.

Board footer