Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#276 09/10/17 11:09

semicloud

Re: Oni remake

why do i have to communicate with the GPU.

Last edited by semicloud (09/10/17 11:09)

#277 09/10/17 11:09

Gumby

Ok, good luck drawing anything to screen!

Edit: I guess you could make "Oni: Audio Only Edition"

Last edited by Gumby (09/10/17 12:09)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#278 09/10/17 12:09

semicloud

it's called drawLine in java.

Last edited by semicloud (09/10/17 12:09)

#279 09/10/17 12:09

paradox-01

ONI PC Manual

System requirements
Windows 98/2000/Millennium Edition
266 MHz Pentium III processor or better (400 MHz recommended)
64 MB RAM (96 MB recommended)
800 MB free disk memory
3D acceleration card (Open GL compatible)
Voodoo 2+, TNT2+, Rage Pro+, Intel i890 (recommended: TNT2 Ultra, Rage 128)

Even the original game is supposed to be played with Open GL.

#280 09/10/17 12:09

semicloud

he is saying i can't draw anything on the screen without GPU, that's not true. i just gave him an example. that's a slow computer compared to wat i have. and my laptop is probably over 7 years old bro.

Capture.png

is that even a comparison there paradox. processor speed will compensate ambly for any performance advantage GPU may or may not have at this point. there is no conceivable way u can justify a 10/1 performance gap in an old graphic cards like the one in your specs. most, graphics cards will provide maybe 1.5 that's if open gl correctly utlitizes GPU

Last edited by semicloud (09/10/17 13:09)

#281 09/10/17 13:09

paradox-01

That was half of an exaggeration, half sarcasm of him.
As for I see it, you are either pretty broken or a very passionated troll. (Prove me wrong and I will apologize.) I don't believe in anything you want to do anymore unless you do really something. Bro.

#282 09/10/17 13:09

semicloud

i'm probably gona opt in for a frame work API to do the rendering. i was gonna write this myself, but feel too much like trying re-inventing the wheel here. 3d rendering is actually a theoretically complex problem. interesting if i had indefinite time, but i'm already behind with having to write the engine.

Last edited by semicloud (09/13/17 12:09)

#283 09/21/17 13:09

semicloud

wat language should i pick for the goal of this project. i want everyone to weigh in on it. they all have binding to GL so doesn't matter, though u can argu performance. but from a non-technical stand point just looking at which language will be hip to use. something that represent the community. ideas? i know some of the mod tools are done in C++ probably, so a case can be made C as language of familiarity. but from a non technical stand point, wat should i use.

Last edited by semicloud (09/21/17 13:09)

#284 09/22/17 13:09

semicloud

this engine would be built from the ground up to mimic the exact style and feel of ONi. everything from the interface and control. engine is sourced in java for it's interoperability features and support. java 3d will take affect for the rendering. the engine will include two modules, the modeler and the physics. the modeler will be built first, the physics engine

Last edited by semicloud (09/22/17 13:09)

#285 09/24/17 19:09

semicloud

one of the guys in the blenderartist forum help me solve the issue of shading. it was simple fix, by modifying a settings. blender is that way where one setting could stump your entire plan.  now this game is at least possible now considering the fact i may not have to write a engine from scratch. this issue killed alot of momentum of project given the fact i abandoned alot of bl assets i created in a system restore after i had to install ten programming languages and totally wrecking my hard drive figuring. upside from down. the functional design of this engine is wat makes this project possible. i can't really stress this fact here. it's actually an accident because blender tries to do everything. biting more than it can chew so to speak. in doing so, it created a engine based on simplicity, though the original animation suit was in house, i highly doubt it was a ever serious game software. but in creating simplicity it legitmatized a workflow that i'm accustomed to. at this point, i don't now, the interest in this project goes up and down. i don't know. u probably had something to see by now the time i was trying to get this feature to work plus me trying to figure out wat frame work i was going to use. at this point, there is no serious claim to write a engine given a key issue about blender has be remedies, though a newer feature in blender would necessitate a probably different newer system. though i have conducted serious research on wat foundation to build this engine and reached a decisive conclusion on the subject matter, time was not wasted. work was done. don't know why i have the incessant urge to obviate my research here because i have decided the fact i was gona do more. though everything i done here was a necessary process though i have refrained from posting verbal manifest of my progress. though i find this audience is justified for this explaination, as to reveal the capacity of this project.

Last edited by semicloud (09/24/17 19:09)

#286 09/25/17 03:09

ltemplar

Yes. we first want to see what you can produce ; best in short movie clip form, taken directly from the game.
- The graphics:textures, level geometry(enough to represent clearly the features) , character(can even be created from 19 boxes - only resembling human model) and equipment(weapons and bullets, clips)..are not important now.
What maters are :
-Basic animations(run , jump, duck, shooting,reloading, h2h attack , throw)
-Basic path-fading grid
-basic AI (patrolling, h2h, evade, shoot, reload, pick item)
The rest is irrelevant

Ltemplar.

#287 09/25/17 08:09

semicloud

it can be done. that's not the issue. this project could definitely be done in BL, it's not really a specialized engine though. even though u could achieve practically the same result. it's more a 3d rendering suit than a engine. ironically, this is the only engine that facilitate performance and work flow. i kinda want to create a more specialized engine for the exact purpose of game creation of this calibur. i don't know man. feel like i'm trying to video edit on ms paint given how unspecialized this software is. i don't know guys. i mean, i have the skills to do it, why not create one. don't know. then again, it would be a technical over kill to write a engine when it's not necessary, when blender technically provides the correct frame work to do it. though i feel like a specialized engine would work better for the goal of the project though. at the same time, i don't want to re-invent the wheel either. i think bl is much marketable as game engine than a modeling suit though given the fact i have stressed tested it. especially for a game like oni that demands smooth work flow. i don't think i have to write a engine at all at this point once that shading issue has been brought to light. there is a feature called multi-texture that has legacy compatibility but there is a small settings that if not checked leaves shading completely unable in game view. one gentleman at artist forum solved that one issue. that was really the critical point of stress test is that feature. i can pretty much do anything u can imagine now that issue is solved. the engine really has infinite capability at this point.

Last edited by semicloud (09/25/17 23:09)

#288 09/26/17 01:09

ltemplar

Use Blender then.
As I stated in previous posts.. the graphics is not the most important part here(You're not going to create AA game, but rather upgraded version of existing one). At the start You don't even need to texture stuff. Basic shading and materials will be sufficient enough. What mater however, is the core mechanic..and all features I've listed above. So what's keep You?Animations?Models?Don't walk in circles, and be  straight.

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/26/17 01:09)

#289 09/26/17 03:09

semicloud

GameMaker can make anything. it's not a blender. blender is something u put vegatables. it's called GameMaker. it's a dumbed down game engine for highschool kids. but it has the industrial strenght to model a raptor jet fighter with all the programmable phsycis. it's very powerful. you can make 3d project files with it. you can basically make any 3d games with it. it works on the principle of creating project files just like VB, which which u can modify like any autodesk drafting file. there is no software that currently competes with game maker. there are game engines, but game maker is not a game engine.

Untitled.png

ONI is made with GameMaker, which exports to .exe

here is an example project file i created. it's named hangarRedux, appropriately a redux of the 3rd ONI level. as you can see
wat, you can create with this program is limitless. you can make any level with this project file. you can add lighting, camera, shading. you can even model characters with it. you can make animations with GameMaker. you can program GameMaker to do other things through a extension frame work. GameMaker has a built in pyconsole for all the logic.

Untitled.png

GameMaker is a pretty cool software you can fool around in and end up making a blue print to a jet or mock up some jewelry design. it's really up to you how you want to use it. you can make anything with it. It's really designed for any laymen to use but sophisticated enough for any hardcore industrialist to modify

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 03:09)

#290 09/26/17 13:09

semicloud

extracting character models in .dae is a pain. i manage to extract all the textures. technically, that's really all i need. but i would like to get the models to see if they are workable though. i'm probably just gona end up redoing the model as before if i can't get split to work. not a big problem. that was the plan from the beginning. i actually posted to several threads in this forum looking for a viable solution. if anybody has a fix, let me know so this remake gets underway. the models are really the last consideration, the animation import is probably too complex to integrate. models should be simple though, but i haven't been able to get it to work. i'm just gona remodel everything at this point if can't find a fix. which is not a big issue. props for s10k for at least making texture extraction seamless. though i pinged him for solution to the character import module. the character assets i may be able to reuse. i don't know, i have to look at the geometry to see if i can reuse them, that's if i can get import to work. in the time that i can't figure out a fix or anyone to provide, i can just model it from scratch. the animation i would definitely have to reproduce, which is not bad. but i was ready for a simple too to extract models though.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 13:09)

#291 09/26/17 14:09

semicloud

anyway, com guy looked like he got ran over by a semi when i imported him. it's worse had scorpio had performed a fatality on him. at least he would have went out in style. i don't even want to think about how botched the animation would look like and how much work i would have to do to fix it. it's like trying to do plastic surgery on com guy over there making him presentable after a modding debacle. hats up for the team for making a viable texture and audio extraction tool. that's really wat i needed to make an accurate recreation of the game or should i say evolution. i don't really see how i'm still interested in this project. that's just how good a game oni is, how revolutionary it is. there was tombraider, then there was oni. i would say oni is the only game that theoretically advances tomb raider. not many game can touch T2. oni hold it's own. with the texture extracted, i can complete this game. now, the first thing i'm going to do will blow your mind. the first feature i'm demonstrating is climbing. i will do a demo of where konoko can rock climb up some boxes and do some crazy like back flip into a ledge grab. this was all planed out in the beginning of the post, nothing has changed. this will take place in the warehouse level, hats of to the tools creator of vagui for providing me with the means to re use these texture. the physical geometry of the level everything from boxes to character will be remodeled. animation won't be imported. this is achieved through the power of visual inspection. it's a distinct approach from modding as i have said before. so climbing changes the whole dynamic of the game just as in T2. i still have to remodel knonoko though. not a big issue. i already have the textures. this demo will be primary demonstrating new features in the game, not feature that already exist. acrobatic climbing is the first feature i'm introducing.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 14:09)

#292 09/26/17 14:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

this method is called visual inspection. u recreate exactly the look and feel of ONI original character with no modding debacle. you use power observation and meticulous cut your polygon in proportion to the original. blender is lightning fast when it comes to modeling. the modeled mesh will be textured by the extracted textured from the game. the final result is the character looking exactly like the original provided to heed details. this process don't take long. i'm not a modeler by trade, i can do this. notice i will be keeping the polycount as low as possible for performance as well as easy of manipulation. the whole idea is keeping everything simple. notice a simple fact that model view can hotkey into GE view. this is wat makes BGM powerful. it's not two software. it's one software.  this is the reason i didn't have to write a engine. the modeling tool is basic. older version of blender didn't have n polygon support or a edge splitter known as knife. without those feature, modeling was impossible. in fact, when i was stressing testing this engine years ago, edge split and n polygon side support was not possible. the most u could do was 4 sides, u were forced to split triangles after that point. this was a hassle. that's probably why 2001 oni wasn't possible in 2001 blender cause blender modeling suite was garbage at that point.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 15:09)

#293 09/26/17 16:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

the edge split feature wasn't added after version 2.6 in blender. oni 2001 would not be impossible to do. it was started by a guy volunteering on a separate fork, the n-gon branch. this is wat allows fast efficient modeling. also key pivotal change in BL is N-gon support alone with edge erase tool allow fast prototyping for games. since then, n-gon branch has been incorporated into the main dev branch. a separate game engine would have to be made for this project if this feature was not available most likely. in fact, blender is one feature away from rendering it completely usable as a engine for the goal of this project. that's how precarious the balance of this project is, that's how great a game Oni is to require this type of accuracy and efficiency.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 16:09)

#294 09/26/17 16:09

semicloud

Capture.png

just show you want knife cut tool does. K in edge select mode. angle constrain with C. for future reference. instead of having to extrude the whole neck and compound geometric complexity until it becomes unmanageable in the end with an extrusion, you knife cut this area to for a neck. i'm also citing this here for a technical reference for anyone who want to make games with this software. u can get the basic guide online, but this will be a definitely guide to anyone who wants to create models for game ports. we haven't even gotten to the fun part yet, texturing. that's later. first we got to see how this model is made.

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 16:09)

#295 09/26/17 16:09

EdT
Website

FYI regarding the default pose of the comguy: http://wiki.oni2.net/Importing_character_models#Poses

#296 09/26/17 16:09

ltemplar

Umm.. and the last 3 posts are about.... what exactly?
I didn't quite get it...

Last edited by ltemplar (09/26/17 16:09)

#297 09/26/17 16:09

semicloud

thank edt, i will put that into consideration. i may end up resuscitating some models, i don't know. there is actually more work than just flipping rotations. i still have to fix the geometry on it. also, how u import the texture along with the models. mite as well at this point.

#298 09/26/17 16:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

continue the neck with an extrusion to form the torso. use reference for correct proportion. this is how u correctly use the knife tool and mesh extrusion (E in edit mode) to prototype a character.

#299 09/26/17 17:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

make a cut for the arm, then extrude it to form the arm.

#300 09/26/17 17:09

semicloud

Untitled.png

Last edited by semicloud (09/26/17 17:09)

Board footer