Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/06/17 22:09

Scarlett

what's the ideal poly count to reduce a model to

Since Makehuman makes models in high polygon, I've been thinking about exporting to another modelling tool being either blender or Mod Tool then reduce the poly count. My questions are what is the ideal poly count to reduce to? How should i go about dividing the body parts into different model pieces for the character so i can name them? I hope i asked this right

#2 09/07/17 02:09

ltemplar

Re: what's the ideal poly count to reduce a model to

I think something around 5000-6000 tris per character will be sufficient enough to not cause buffer overflow with shield. However You can't create more than 2000 tris per bone(for example head can have more tris then other parts like leg or torso... but still should have less than 2k)

Levels are different they can have more .. but if I recall correctly oni engine is capable of to handle only 70K on the rendering screen and 2k of double-sided polygons(not only tris but quads also) and material with alpha channel added to it.
So theoretically You can create levels with higher polygon count than 70k, but then You must reduce the render visibility field to the point , that it will not exceed this limit.

Ltemplar.

#3 09/07/17 13:09

EdT
Website

You will need to divide the single mesh into 19 body parts for Oni.  After dividing up the mesh you need to add polygons to fill in the gaps when the body parts move. For example between the thigh and calf.

I would use an exisiting Oni model as reference especially for the center of rotation of each body part.

It is a lot of trial and error to get it looking right in game. 

Note: You don't have to use all 19 parts if you have a special character.  For example my guard dog characters don't have arms or legs

#4 09/07/17 21:09

Scarlett

Thank you two a lot for the replies. Well the trial and error part i can handle. that's how we all got better at what we do.

#5 09/22/17 14:09

EdT
Website

Scarlett, I sent you an email, did you get it?

#6 09/22/17 23:09

Scarlett

Oh no I didn't. I will check my email now

Board footer