Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 08/30/17 09:08

semicloud

Re: Oni remake

edt, can u do me one more favor. i have a front view of black op model. can u just get a screen shot of her from the back view also so i can reproduce her accurately.

it's really retarded trying to imagine wat the back look like. it's like trying to figure out wat a t-rex looked like on a jaw bone. it's funny though. wouldn't be an issue but i need to reproduce this model exactly as it seems cause it's just too good. look like something bungie did if they had more time.

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 10:08)

#77 08/30/17 12:08

semicloud

before, my workflow was too methodical. creativity is not necessarily linear.

the konoko hd stealth model is a heavy point of inspiration. it's from everything this fan quel going to spawn. instead of consciousless coming with methodology, i'm changing my approach.  game design is as much about staying motivated.

now, i modified my workflow by a concept of ownership meaning my first motivation is owning this piece of asset. since i don't have it, the most direct work flow is modeling this black op, re creating to a reasonable accuracy.

once i have this asset, which i don't have yet, still working on the modeling process. i will move on to the next scene and see what else plays well with this model.

as oppose to a workflow where u decide on modeling something then model till end. this will jade developers

since everything spawn from the previous asset, this first asset has to be meticulously created. this means i have to up my modeling techniques cause i wasn't planning for model to actually being this detailed. the trick is to capture the exact feel and look of the konoko hd model.

so the trick is thinking this not as a picture but an action figure. now, u want to 3d mod the action figure. at this point, u are creating your reality at this point because u want to get this action figure first. it no longer becomes a methodical mundane task. you are actually making a toy for yourself but u don't have money to buy it. so u trying to meticulous create it in a 3d app.

once u come from that mindset, you will see "work" completely different.

at this point, u have created a type of reality because this action figure is actually a physical asset at this point and not just dots on a screen.

let's see how this work

let's say u decide u want to do animation. you can't. u don't have the asset yet. u can't decide how u going to move a doll when u don't have the doll. this is my work flow. 

u can extrapolate my work flow here. wat about level design. can't do that yet. don't have the asset so u don't know how it actually fit. the action figure may not match the color.

at this point the work flow becomes deterministic meaning the initial condition will affect the rest of wat everything is going to be like.

asset represents A, B represent next action

A->B->C

first piece of asset is technically the image of konoko in black op hd.

this asset can't be used at all physically because it's a picture of a toy u don't have. the toy is somewhere else u can't attain so you are forced to create the toy to play with.

so we would have to create asset A based on a picture. we making a toy.  but edt sent some textures or face paint of the original that you can use to make your model more convincing.

let's say i physically modeled it to the way i want it, i would have my first piece of asset we call A

asset A becomes a physical entity at this point because u literally have a 3d toy in file.

the next step in theory is try to do more with the toy because making a new toy is expensive, time and effort wise which translate to money.  u don't want to make another toy to play with. you would want to play with the one u got that u spend like a week making. not only that, this is really the only toy you want u are just trying to do things with.

rite now, i don't have the toy, i'm working on an exact replica. that takes time.

once i have the toy, there is no telling wat i'm going to do next cause it's hard to tell how my recreation of that toy will look.

let's say i created an exact replica which is not realistic, something close.

since this literally a toy, i will probably play around with it.

this kinda of process which i call action figuring is used alot in modding and fan renditions. cause let's say u want to do something with helena off doa. you would first need to obtain the asset. again, action figuring is a physical approach because it physically require u to attain the toy before u decide what to do with it.

u rip helena off doa game with ripper and open it up. the next step would actually to pose it for a screen shot. that's why u see modders screen shot. then u would want to experiment with different environment with that screen shot.

u may decide to paint the action figure blue to see how it will look.

so the conventional game development process of big company don't employ this methodology of course. this approach is novel because this is the first time probably it has been physically theorized anywhere because i'm obsessively theoretical to a fault.

now, people here get turned off to this for some reason but i'm fundamentally examining wat creativity.

so conventional process you work with pre-disposed concepts like level design, story, and character design and separate people are working on each.this process is very contrary to my methodology. it's not mine cause people use it to an extent but not completely to create a game from start to finish.

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 13:08)

#78 08/30/17 13:08

semicloud

implication of toy Figuring theory which i rename.

<modularity of assets>
the first asset i create in blender, which i haven't done yet, once done correctly will instantly be valuable anywhere. anybody who don't have a konoko toy could get copy 3d printed and mailed to them to play with.

so the play environment is basically the 3d engine you are using. u have have a ninja u want to pit against konoko action figure. but u don' t have a action figure to use.

<the complete importance of first asset>
the motivation for creation the first asset is so u can acct out a story about ONi. so another action figure won't work meaning u can't start buying a fire truck toy to play with. because this is the a toy that everything else is centered around with, everything else. in fact, u created this action figure because ur the fan of the show Oni or game in this case. u are not going to settle for a doll house that the action figure going to go in. so it makes no sense why u should create a doll house in the first place.

can u create a low poly konoko and get away with a rough animation demo?
the theory says no cause u wouldn't want a crappy toy to act out your scenes. you want the realist toy. nobody wants a crappy megazoid to play with.

#79 08/30/17 14:08

semicloud

there probably ten pages of theory here. everything is gona be implemented. they were developed to be implemented directly. so i will be reference stuff i said earlier.

i completely forgot the earlier work i did on balancing combat (again, i am not making it up as i go). it will be a waste not to use it. i came up with system probably 5 years ago while i was thinking about a remake but didn't have the will or knowledge to make one. now i do.

basically, it was conceptual version of Diablo II skill tree system implemented for Oni. sound completely dumb but for reason it was awesome as hell.

in diablo II, u mess up mis aloting your skill tree, u lose. in fact, i couldn't beat the game at all cause that game was so hard because you have to know exactly how each stats work. with the sorcerous, if u spend too much points on weaker moves, u lose.

with Oni: Hardcore, it's not got be any less forgiving probably but it's gona make ur time really hard if u waste points. in diablo, u can't beat the game if u put all your points in like a weak move. so u have to study the skill tree. this was not a mistake by the developer. this was a key aspect of the game that most people ignore.  that's if u can waste point. that would mean have 10 skill level and putting it all in a kick move that u never use while all your other moves become so weak and ineffective.

this completely changes Oni strategically and it's very easy to implement actually.

now, with this game here, u can't frack up alotting ur points on a dumb move like a jump punch that u never use but that move may have 10 slot for it. You can probably get it powerful enough to kill a enemy in 4 punch but if u waste 10 skill points on that fact ur other moves are going to be to weak to do anything.

here is the crazy thing about this game. you going to start out with like 30 skill points basically for some unknown reason. it's almost like some crazy mod gone wrong. the game is not going to baby u into alloting those points but u gona be weak as fuck if u don't do it.

now, if u look at the skill tree, u gona notice something. it's gona tell you the damage each move do and how much damage u are getting with the next level. there also probably gona be synergy points. technically, u can make a deduction but u have to know wat combat situation ur face or wat to expect to make a informed decision here.

now, idealy, u would want to progress through the game and level up slowly, but with this game, u start out with 30-40 skill points immediately. try not leveling up your character, see wat happens. or level up wrong, u will feel it immediately.

there will be a tree for melee and combat obviously. combat tree increase weapon damage, melee attacks applies to special moves, and basic moves too.

this is too good not to implement.

it sound cumbersome as hell and not fitting Oni, but i think it will be something different.

implementing this system will make the game much harder cause u have to be strategic on skill allotment, plus u start out with 40 points for some reason unknown. technically, this don't break the feel of the game that much cause it only modifies how powerful your moves are.

guys, i don't know if u know, but there is so much changes to the game play when u compile all the element i talked about.

actually, the skill tree didn't apply to weapons.  i just forgot this part. it was along time ago when i came up  with this system but skill tree was melee only cause weapon damage only goes up when accuracy goes up. accuracy is effectively you skill at aiming a weapon. weapon power was modulated by the type of weapon used so it was unreal and redundant to have weapon damage increase.

but skill tree make perfect sense for melee because of muscle strenght and power when conditioned to combat. weapon damage should never increase. naturally a skill tree for weapon upgrades completely contradict how the entire game is built.

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 14:08)

#80 08/30/17 15:08

semicloud

i probably gona opt out of skill tree cause it disrupt the flow of the game and the entire approach.  idea is konoko already has access to all her moves. as a verteran oni player, u should know them already. wat's gona surprise you is how the moves are balanced this time. how it's balanced was developed 5 years ago. i actually forgot there was a melee balance. the skill tree was good idea but really don't fit with wat i'm trying to do.

the melee balance is not gona shock u as much as how weapons are balanced.

u will learn something about wat weapons do after u play this game.

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 15:08)

#81 08/30/17 15:08

EdT
Website

Here you go:

Konoko_Back.jpg

#82 08/30/17 16:08

semicloud

heck yeah edt. thanks. u definitely on my wavelength. now, i can probably make my model look exactly like that.

i couldn't fixed the legs until i had the back shot. but that's wat i have so far. the legs are that skinny cause i was retooling an earlier base mesh. they will be scaled as i do more work on it. plus, i couldn't get a good view of how her legs looked from the front. the screen shot solves everything.

it's taking long because i'm trying to recreate the look and feel of the hd version to a reasonable point.  a correct model has alot of impact.

my modeling skills aren't insane so it's more pain staking work at this point to get every point where they suppose to be.

back_Modelscreen.png

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 16:08)

#83 08/30/17 16:08

EdT
Website

Wouldn't it be easier to start with the Blender file I linked to previously?  That is the same model used in Oni.  Except Oni breaks up the model into 19 pieces, but I combined them into a single model for Blender.

#84 08/30/17 17:08

semicloud

several key issue with that

1. the model isn't mirrored. only option is to cut it in half and mirror it manually. but the center point is hard to find given the fact the model is geometrically complex. i could do it but there are other issues.
2. it's not proportionally correct with HD model. i'm replicating the HD look exactly. let's say somehow i figured out how to mirror the other half, the model u gave me is actually completely different proportionally and look so i have to extend and skinny certain arm. this raises issue
3. the mesh is actually over complex. look at my mesh and the vertex pattern. the mod u gave me has 10 times more geometric complexity. u can see this with the triangles. it becomes very hard to manipulate.

all these factors contribute to the fact it's simpler just to redo it from scratch than fix a complex model.

#85 08/30/17 17:08

EdT
Website

Okay, you're the expert smile

#86 08/30/17 22:08

semicloud

Konoko's lost interview tapes. coming from ONi Hardcore. these tapes were discovered by a hacker known as Zeephry by his code name who is believed to have ties to konoko.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s14QAh4yVphq

https://vocaroo.com/i/s06gy0tYpvX4

Last edited by semicloud (08/30/17 22:08)

#87 08/31/17 10:08

semicloud

skill tree is really interesting. because it's such a contrast to wat oni is suppose to be. that's why it may be fun to do

superpower-005-512.png

skill_T.png

dotted line represent synergy points. stronger attacks gets on the bottom.

however, what if a player don't like throws at all? wat if the player just want to punch and kick and literally hates throw. i want a system of where they can specialize on basic attack.

now, in reality, which i takes inspiration from, u can make a kick as powerful as u want so u can kick down a tree. so i could have a system where players can specialize in kick.  but this breaks the balance entirely because in Oni throws are naturally stronger so it  make no sense u can make a kick as strong as a throw can be. meaning if max out kick and max out a kick throw. a kick should still be weaker on maximum. if a kick end up being stronger or equal to a kick throw when u max out both, then it defeats the whole idea that throws are innately stronger.

the way my sketch drawing is set up, it actually implies that kick throw is a innately stronger attack. which it is in the original. also in real life throws can be really powerful so it make sense to set it up like this

so if a player simply max out his stats on kick, he may not be strong as if he max out throws.  but in combat, u are not going to be throwing all the the time. u would need a combination of attack. so the question here is how u have a skill tree that let u customize a character.  a skill tree probably has be scarcely applied to a hard core fighting game because it's tricky to balance it right.

now, again,  i could take inspiration from real life. so a kick can be as strong as you want.  diablo solves this problem by having classes of moves as fire and ice moves.

i think i have a solution that's reasonable.

i can't change the fact that certain moves are innately strong. so if player decide to be a kicker he can but a kick will never be as strong as a kick throw when  box are maxed out. so the question is wat's the point of having a skill tree at all if that's the case.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 10:08)

#88 08/31/17 12:08

ltemplar

I think that this entire system , You have proposed, will be overcomplicated and in the end it will be close to impossible to balance it properly.
Here is why:
let say Your basic kick will be at the end as powerful as throw. So what will happen witch combo attack ,If this trait will be applied to all kicks as well? If yes You can have situation where one comb is equal to 3 throws .

Way simpler and more knee to proper balance will be to create system, where all her abilities(h2h, shooting; witch could have sub branches for every weapon type if you chose for, stealth, etc.) will gain bonuses when she level up . For example +10% damage to all attacks when her fighting skill reach level 1. So even if in the end she double her fighting skills . throw still be the most damage dealer and you will never end up with situation as mentioned above.
You can then set this system around skill points(RPG style) or perks(or whatever You come up with).
Such system will be less complicated and more clearer to the player in my humble opinion.

EDIT:
But making complicated skill trees is worthless for fighting/action game as oni is as whole. Because is both time consuming , and they change entire challenge point of the game .Player should focus on polishing his skills , rather than thinking witch perks should be pick to synchronize nicely with others. That's not an RPG , or strategic game ala X-com2.

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (08/31/17 12:08)

#89 08/31/17 14:08

semicloud

thanks for the input, u made me think of ideas i could do with weapons.

the skill system work like this

punch                              kick
damage: ?                       damage
->
left hook
damage: ?
->
triple haymaker
damage: ?

i already know the damage ratios, i'm not revealing that as of yet.

let's say you start with 10 stats point. where u going to put it. technically, you can decide u just want to be a kicker like muy tai and put all 10 in kicks. nothing wrong with that approach.  or you can put all 10 in punch and punch your way through the game. nothing with that. you can customize your character anyway you want

weapons damage is determined by the calibur of weapon and how you aim the weapon to a vital, head shot. there is no conceivable way i can justify why a sniper rifles goes up in damage because konokko becomes more experienced at using it when mouse aim and how u use the weapon in situation is actually your experience point.

there is an alternative solution. weapon branch works like this. most weapon in the future has finger print lock on it. so you would need to hack it but that takes skill to do.

Weapon Hacking : increase you skill to hack weapon
level 1

level 1 you can hack a pistol.
level 2-3 maybe a rifle

ammo crates require hack levels too.

also, there will be more advance weapons like traps you haven't seen before, these require you to level up weapon technology skills

Weapon Mechanics : increase you knowledge of weapon construction and digital electronics

Proximity Mines
require 2 weapon mechanics skill to assemble.

but proximity mines require two separate components, a motion sensor and bomb piece which you would have to find in ammo crates which require a certain weapon level to unlock.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 15:08)

#90 08/31/17 15:08

semicloud

melee skill system is pretty much fleshed out.

i need to create further specialization in the weapon branch for this to be interesting

#91 08/31/17 16:08

paradox-01

Why not a tech demo? Take two standard human models for blender and try to perform throws. If you cannot pull that off you can forget about the rest anyway and it would save you so much time...

#92 08/31/17 19:08

semicloud

i'm going to start soon paradox. i begun work, but the lame skill tree got me side tracked completely. after some experimentation, i am going to overhaul it completely. it did give me ideas that i can actually use.

i actually started with the base mesh of Konoko. also released audio snippets of some voice acting i did in the last post. check it out, i thought it was pretty funny.

ideas from the skill tree debauchery i can incorporate:
now, i'm gona actually make a in game mechanic that will constantly remind everyone of wat a botched idea like this skill tree system would be and have symbol in game to represent it. i was gona save this joke, but it's too epic not to tell now.

the plasma weapon is one of the shittiest weapon in the game in my opinion, weapons in general. my top weapons are mercury bow and the grenade launcher because they actually do something. konoko is actually gona joke about it. in fact, that weapon really represent how incorrect weapons are and it will be constant reminder to everyone the weapon balance is crap in Oni. don't get wrong, Oni is ground breaking but they ran out of time on some things. i am talking about it cause the whole game make fun of itself.

so here is wat's gona be really funny. and i'm going to try to this in the firsts level.

this is joke will be a symbol when u don't plan things out. it also respresnet wat a nightmare the skill system would be if it had go horribily wrong. i want everyone to understand this as symbol.

here is the joke.

when u play the first level in a remake, a pistol will kill you in 3 shot. a pistol. anybody in real life can take a direct shot in pistol. no. but there is gona be some lame striker with a plasma rifle. now, theoretically, this plasma rifle could probably take out a truck but some how, it takes like 20 shot to kill anythiing with this weapon. it's heavy and slow. now, i'm going to leave this weapon in game and remind everyone wat incorrect balance is

that's not the joke. wait for it

this weapon will be practically useless because a freaken community officer, the lamest enemy in the game who can't be willow kicked cause his wearing metal pelvus and fights better than freaken muro. yeah, i'm going keep this dude in here cause he is just that awesome

wait for the joke.

when u first see a striker use it, ur assuming it's gona kill you cause a commnication officer with a pistol can kill you. u would assume a heavy assault rival would blow holes through you.  in fact you are not even gona try to get hit with this weapon. but u notice when u use this on an enemy, it don't do shit. now u like, wtf, wat's going on. now, u gona use it on yourself have someone hit you with it. nope, don't do anything. a regular pistol kills in like 2 shot, it takes like 10 shot from this rifle to kill you. you gona hate this weapon. but ur not gona know it's a shity weapon at first but konoko is gona tell you it's a shitty weapon, but u not gona believe it.

when u take this weapon, konoko is gona talk shit about how bad the weapon is

wait for the joke

she is going to literally tell you there is a technical way to overload the weapon. the way you do is pressing by forcing a energy overload by pressing "C".   after that, you have about 5 second before the weapon explode like a grenade.  the scale of explosion is gona be proportional to how loaded it is.  yes, the gun will explode. and no, the gun will not still be there. it will be blown to pieces.

so basically, the military had failed when they created weapon. yes, failure exist. it mean to remind everyone of wat weapon imbalance is because everyone will have forgotten that weapon were not balanced correctly. this plasma rifle will be remnant of the past, a reminder of how game development should progress so to speak.

not over.

the funny thing is, there is actually a way in this remake to literally throw a weapon. literally, you can take a pistol, draw it, and press "F". konoko would literally throw the freaken weapon based on how  your mouse aim is arched. that feature is there for no freaken reason cause u see no conceivable way you will ever throw a freaken gun. but here, it is, u found a use for it.

later, you will found out that's how you use a grenade. grenades where like this. Q to draw, firing the grenade is konoko pulling the pin.  you press F to throw it. if not, it's gona blow up in your hands.

wat's funny is when you overload the weapon, you can't fire it anymore. but a striker will try to pick it up if he is engaging u.

new features:

so there is gona be proximity mines.  and a whole punch of weapons. these incorporation are theoretically sound. you need two piece of electronic to assemble a mine. a sensor and a bomb piece. you can find these parts in ammo crates that you can open.
you combine them in the F1 menu. Once  you assembled a weapon, it becomes just like a gun. you can throw it and drop it. since u can carry only 1 weapon, you should assemble these rite before you use them.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 20:08)

#93 08/31/17 20:08

semicloud

i don't know man, i can't drop the skill tree system

it adds a serious dimension to the game. it makes u think about the environment and everything u do. it makes the game feel like ONi but not ONi. i can't explain it.

if i just done with the enhancement i made, wouldn't really justify a sequel.

enhancement before
-vehicles
-climbing
-new weapons

boring.

enhancement now
-skill system
-vehicles
-climbing
-new weapons

compare the two.  second one is worth making

gona have trust me on this one. the game feels completely different even when i experimented with the first level. it adds substance to the game. i can't explain it. it's like u playing Oni, but don't notice the advancement made at all for some reason
almost u playing some Deux x crap. but it's not an rpg at all, it too fast pace for an RPG.

i can't explain it. I have to flesh it out. i am almost there i think.

basically, you don't notice the skill system at all. only that it makes the game feel completely different.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 21:08)

#94 08/31/17 22:08

semicloud

think i got the weapon fleshed out.

weapon tree look like this

ballistic skills: increase ballistic ammo capacity
energy skills: increase energy cell green capacity

both those are passive skills

weapon moves: moves that can be done with weapon

weapon disarm
pistol knock-but the enemy with the end of pistol
rifle chock-chock enemy out with rifle

weapon salvaging skills

motion sensor electronics: increase ability to salvage radar parts from weapons
weapon chemistry: increase ability to salvage explosive ammo
motor salvaging skill: increase your ability to salvage motor parts
terrestial robotics: increase your ability to salvage RC car parts

u can explode the plasma rifle with no weapon skills. this is the only gun that has a overload option to keep the joke alive.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 22:08)

#95 08/31/17 22:08

semicloud

u can technically beat the game without having to replay any level to get stronger. so it's not freaken pokemon.

replaying a level don't get u stronger, you have to start a new save game if you want a different build. kinda like diablo

it adds alot of replayability to the game and forces you to experiment with the skill trees.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 22:08)

#96 08/31/17 23:08

semicloud

now you can do rifle moves. but remember the joke. i have to keep the joke

here is how this works. every weapon has a saftey switch "F".  by putting let's say a rifle in saftey mode, you can access rifle moves. so you can use any regular rifle like melee weapon. this is basically your weapon skill.

now, the plasma rifle don't have a saftey switch cause this weapon is so shitty. wat ends up happening is there is away to overload it into a bomb. it's too weak to be used as a regular weapon cause it takes 10 hits to kill anything. remember, u can't power up weapons. they have fixed damages. you can't level them up. so this weapon is basically useless cause u can't melee it or use it as a real gun.  there is no freaken saftey to this damn thing

pressing saftey while the weapon is above half capacity actually overloads it. you have 5 seconds before this thiing kills everything in the vicinity. the funny thing is it's barely effective as a bomb but it will kill any striker. if u time it right.

now the "C" button let u toss any weapon.  "E" is to drop.

the way you use grenade is simple. you Q draw it, fire it regular to pull thin pin. the "C" toss it.

"F" is block

the currently scheme, you can't block with weapon in hand cause i had to sacrifice F as block button. i forgot about manual block entirely.

so you can't block with weapon which make sense cause of how strong those attacks are.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 23:08)

#97 08/31/17 23:08

semicloud

guys, i think the weapons system is done, the skill tree. 5 years of planning has come to fruition.

i think it's time to start.

damn, i still need to decide wat the first level should be

paradox, not a demo of two people throwing, the complete first level.

Last edited by semicloud (08/31/17 23:08)

#98 09/01/17 00:09

semicloud

I wanted to u guys to see the process from start to finish that's why i insisted posting the plans on here.

the game is called ONI: Hardcore

basically, it plays off the concept that it's the original ONI but just a Hardcore mode by some modder. it's more than a mod than remake. but not a mod cause i used no actual asset from the game.

the first level is a flash back. Konoko is already at a full strenght at this point. you will not be able to gain experience points this first level. 

i can't reveal any more about this game at this point without spoiling it. i'm taking technical question but not wat the level is actually gona be.

i'm going to put together a short teaser for you to play. the teaser is not a demo. technically, it's the first level.

#99 09/01/17 00:09

semicloud

wat u should expect to see in the teaser.

the look of ONI, i will try not to spoil it by posting my progress. only if i don't have to. if i had to, it's probably to motivate interest.

some game play

#100 09/01/17 00:09

semicloud

ONI the Angel of Darkness

Board footer