Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/28/17 13:08

s10k
Website

Lugaru is now opensource!

Dunno if you guys did know but Lugaru has been opensource software for quite a long now!

RoidBunny2.png

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Lugaru-goes-open-source

I've tried many years ago the demo and I liked it, the controls are very similar to oni controls and the game play is very hand combat oriented.

You can download version 1.2 here:
https://osslugaru.gitlab.io/

All operating systems are supported.

Would be cool if we could also have an opesource oni, but that is to dream too high I guess. smile

lugaru-banner.png

#2 08/28/17 16:08

paradox-01

Re: Lugaru is now opensource!

Details from Ryan Gordon

The source code is based on Ryan C. Gordon's branch, which took David Rosen's original Windows and Carbonized Mac OS code and ported it to Linux and Mac OS X, using SDL and OpenAL. It should compile as-is on those platforms from the command-line. On Mac you can type "sh makemac.sh" to build (or use the Xcode project!), and on Linux you can just type "make". The code is compatible with Windows, but the included Visual Studio project is not completely up-to-date. We should have that sorted out soon, especially with your help!

When not up to date it's likely to fail in VS.

Or is it even worse ?

Get the game building on Windows again. Some Linux dork came along and broke it!

Ey... what? And there goes my motivation to download it...

#3 08/28/17 17:08

s10k
Website

hm I just downloaded the pre-compiled game. It is fine. You don't need to build it for yourself, useless you want to modify the source.

#4 08/28/17 18:08

paradox-01

> You don't need to build it for yourself, useless you want to modify the source.

Seriously, I thought that was the whole idea behind it. smile

#5 08/28/17 18:08

s10k
Website

The main idea is that the game is now totally free. Of course I thought that would be cool if oni source code would also be released as opensource.

Right now I am just thinking in giving Lugaru a try (playing it), not thinking in modding any soon, but yeah maybe some of us could give it a try like EdT did with the sequel. smile

#6 08/28/17 21:08

Iritscen

Interesting, I might have seen this a while ago but forgotten about it.  Well, my personal feeling about Lugaru is that it was good fun, and a very impressive accomplishment as an indie game, but I disagreed with the ways that its design differed from Oni's.  Essentially what Lugaru represents is that David Rosen had a difference of opinion with Bungie West on how a fighting game should be designed, and what I'm saying is that I'm in Bungie's camp on this one :-)  I don't see any flaws in Oni's basic game design, including the much-maligned auto-block feature.  So that's why I never became a big Lugaru fan.

I think the problem with using Lugaru as a basis for an Oni engine, if that's what you are suggesting, is the difference in mechanics and animation.  Yes, if it's open source, the code could be altered to conform to Oni's style, but that seems like reinventing the wheel.  What would an "Oni-fied" Lugaru engine do that Oni can't?  Sorry if I seem like a party-pooper for asking.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 08/28/17 23:08

EdT
Website

I still have the Blender files, if anyone is interested.  But don't ask me any questions on the process, because I have forgotten everything!  It was late 2011 early 2012 when I experimented getting Konoko into Overgrowth.

#8 08/29/17 06:08

paradox-01

Hi EdT, if you don't mind I would like to have a look on those files. Can't hurt to know how Lugaru works.

#9 08/29/17 08:08

EdT
Website

@paradox Here is the Blender file for Konoko: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xec8ltmij4i0c … .zip?raw=1
and the data files used in Overgrowth (Konoko, Mukade, Striker and Ninja): https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj5s51xc5v695 … .zip?raw=1

I don't know if these will work with Lugaru

#10 08/29/17 09:08

Iritscen

I'd be shocked if they worked in Lugaru.  My understanding is that Overgrowth is a distinct engine, and even if it grew out of the Lugaru engine, most of the data fields would be different by now.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer