Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/15/17 14:03

fate72

Recommend me mods!

Hi, all

I have rediscovered my long lost childhood game that i played day in and day out. That game is Oni, of course, and I am so happy to see that it has stood the test of time and a true gem. The community here is amazing and i was stunned to see such support for such a unknown game. I am seeking suggestions on what mods to install out of the plethora of choices available. What i am looking for, is a "2nd playthrough" if you will. Something that will breathe fresh air into Oni's outdated engine. Any bug fixes, glitches, missing files is a must have along with any graphical enhancements. As far gameplay/mechanical changes go, I would prefer it to stay true to what i remember as a child but any new content is welcome, as long its within the spirit of Oni. I hope you guys can help!

fate72

#2 03/15/17 15:03

Scarlett

Re: Recommend me mods!

Install arena of hurt zen garden, then install Saraii, iron demon, motoko, Naomi, guarddogs, sentrydroid and fight them in the level. Hmm I wonder if I forgot any other difficult custom characters to fight against. Anyway you can do a lot in that level.

#3 03/15/17 19:03

Iritscen

Welcome fate72!  Unfortunately we don't have total retextures of most levels, just the first couple I believe.  You can search for mods in the AE Installer containing "Reilly" for some good retextures and HD splash screens.  I'm not sure which platform you're on, but the newer Mac builds of the game also support little niceties like anti-aliasing — I believe you can force that on in Windows too, using external software.  There has probably been more effort put into new characters and arena levels like the ones Scarlett mentioned than revising the story mode.  It might be an interesting playthrough to install a new character and shapeshift to him/her in each level.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 03/16/17 07:03

s10k
Website

Have a look at old china level:
http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2357

Wilderness Preserve - Hasegawa Adventure level:
http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2698

Check Samer's SAM MEGA PACK - Conversion for some freshness the original story line gameplay:
http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2467

Edt's city parkour, for some speed run challenge:
http://oni.bungie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2640

These are just some that I remember right now.

#5 03/16/17 19:03

fate72

Wow, thx guys for the fast replies. Right now im playing a mostly "vanilla" playthrough, (nice Griffin head Iritscen!) with some HD textures and remodels. Im super excited to try out some of these, especially Sam's Mega Pack when im finish. Ill be sure to give an update after.

Cheers

#6 03/16/17 19:03

Iritscen

Ah, thanks.  Have fun!

#7 03/17/17 00:03

fate72

Quick update, got a friend that plays Dota2 with me to try Oni out. We're completing it together and its interesting to here his take on a game from 2001 that he's never played before. Im having an issue tho, i get a game crash error on map 6 i believe (TCHC HQ). It happends right before i enter a interior room during save 1. The packages I have installed are as follows :22300, 23950, 24001, 24100, 24450, 24500, 24501, 28000, 28101, 61000, 70000, 80100. Im probably going to unistall all and try a clean run tomorrow. any help is appreciated.

Cheers

#8 03/17/17 08:03

Iritscen

Hmm, that's really strange since you just have texture mods installed (actually, 22300 adds new character classes).  You might want to try turning off one half of the mods, and if that doesn't fix it, try turning off the other half and turning the first half back on.  You can then turn off half of the remaining mods to narrow down the problem.  However, it could be that it's the combination of mods that is causing the issue, not any one or two.

#9 03/18/17 00:03

fate72

it seems it didnt like 2230. It crashed right as the triggered activates for the 2nd cut scene (shinatoma* gets kidnapped). my guess is had something to do with new char loading in? not sure if i installed wrong. @ any rate im happily pass the lvl.

#10 03/18/17 10:03

Iritscen

I see, that's interesting.  I wonder if anyone has documented that problem with 22300 before.  Well, glad you're able to keep progressing.

#11 03/18/17 13:03

paradox-01

Board footer