Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/03/17 17:01

Scarlett

What makes a character over powered in your opinion?

What makes a character over powered in your opinion?

#2 01/03/17 18:01

paradox-01

Re: What makes a character over powered in your opinion?

> What makes a character over powered in your opinion?

Imo, when he is "unbalanced": when he is much stronger than the other characters + he has no weakness or no additional weakness compared to the less stronger characters.
Mutant Muro spamming ass bombs or other specials would be such a case.

Though, having "stronger" characters is okay since we have also to consider the players learning curve and his willingness to face stronger foes to keep up the challenge: e.g. green striker - blue striker - red striker.

Pretty sure the transition between "stronger" and "over-powered" has no sharp boarders but is a flow. All the more as different player are differently able. E.g. s10k's titan mode or Samer's wilderness level are very difficult to beat, actually frustrating to me, while not for others it appears.

Last edited by paradox-01 (01/03/17 18:01)

#3 01/04/17 05:01

s10k
Website

I agree with paradox reasons.

Some more reasons:

- When a character has powerful moves which are easy to perform and are hard to counter by the opponent
- When a character has moves that aren't possible (or very very hard) to avoid by the opponent
- When a character can do a infinite combo which the opponent can't break (for instance the ninja's kick combo can be performed forever)
- When a character HP is much higher than other characters and him doesn't have any drawbacks

Now, for instance the characters that I'm finding overpowered (I'm watching now most of characters fighting at my tournament new level):

- Naomi (yes your character is overpowered like I mentioned before, for example has very powerful attacks which are easy to perform by the character, it even has one stun move easier to perform than willow kick and that also works in female characters)
I really like your character but it needs some rebalance.
- BGi Hammer (this characters is pretty cool too, but it is a beast right now, too beast. His particle attacks are too easy to perform and to spam. He also blocks most attacks that opponents perform, at least I think he should have the particle attacks reduced or harder to perform and his combos and reactions should be slower)
- Sarai (not so overpowered like the other two imo, but still a little overpowered, I think that maybe reduce his hp a little would be a good idea since she already dodges very easily the other characters). I really like too this character and his concept.

P.S. If Titan Mode was done today I would do it completely different. At the time I only had the ability to do scripting, nowadays we could just add new characters or create newer classes like "black" class which would be stronger that their "red" counter parts. The bosses were ok I think for the mod. Samer did a new game mod somehow with his SMP Conversion.

Last edited by s10k (01/04/17 09:01)

#4 01/04/17 10:01

Iritscen

Btw, fun fact, s10k, did you know that Titan Mode is immortalized in the Wikipedia entry for Oni?  There was a really awful in-game screenshot in the article years ago (just Konoko standing in a room or something), so I looked around for a screenshot depicting some good action, and the one that's there now, taken from someone playing your mod, looked good even at small sizes, so I used it, even though it's depicting a modded scenario that never occurs in the game (shhh).

(Sorry for the OT-ness.)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/04/17 10:01

Scarlett

I agree that my character is overpowered and sarai but not hammer. Hammer is actually easy to beat, in the 3v3v3 thing i did when i started in modding, even opponents such as muro and mukade defeated hammer. Sarai is annoying as hell because she dodges a lot and just won't stand still so I can beat her senseless. My character Naomi is actually really annoying, especially when Daodanized. Sometimes when I try to run from her, she will stun you, and yea she dodges often because I wanted her to make sure of the teleport dodge. As for the super punch move is actually easy to dodge. I made her to be an unpredictable opponent and not as straight forward as running onto Barabas or Muro and spamming combos and throws on them until they die and the fact that you always know what move these characters will do next. The next character I am making, wont be as overpowered, I think. She won't have stuns, however I want her to have mukade fireball and the mutant Muro super shield but she won't be as annoying. I was even planning on allowing her to shoot murcury bow bolts but I dropped the idea since it only makes her harder and other players might try to spam it over and over again

Last edited by Scarlett (01/04/17 10:01)

#6 01/04/17 11:01

s10k
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Btw, fun fact, s10k, did you know that Titan Mode is immortalized in the Wikipedia entry for Oni?  There was a really awful in-game screenshot in the article years ago (just Konoko standing in a room or something), so I looked around for a screenshot depicting some good action, and the one that's there now, taken from someone playing your mod, looked good even at small sizes, so I used it, even though it's depicting a modded scenario that never occurs in the game (shhh).

(Sorry for the OT-ness.)

[OT]
hehe fun fact indeed. Didn't know. wink
[/OT]

Board footer