Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/09/16 12:10

Paco90

[Solved] Problem to install Oni 1.2.1 and AE with Macos 10.10

Hello smile

After having enjoyed playing ONI many years ago, I am quite happy to see that thanks to the effort of the fans an update is available to play it on Macos X.

Unfortunately I am facing several difficulties to make it work:

My configuration:
- iMac late 2013
- Macos 10.10.5
- Fusion drive (maybe not relevant, but this has caused me issues with some softwares).

I started by downloading the Oni 1.2.1 app at mods.oni2.net/taxonomy/term/6.
When launching the app just nothing happens, I have the Oni app menu bar on top, no window, nothing, I can just quit normally (no crash).

I then tried the AE version. I have downloaded and installed the Mono package, but when starting the AE installer I keep getting the message:
« .NET, which is required to use this tool, is not installed on this machine.
Please download and install it [via go-mono.com]»

Any idea how to solve this ?

Note that I have tried to install Oni 1.2.1 on my old MacBook under Macos 10.6 and it works fine, but I would rather having it installed on the iMac !

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Paco90 (10/19/16 05:10)

#2 10/09/16 13:10

Iritscen

Re: [Solved] Problem to install Oni 1.2.1 and AE with Macos 10.10

Wow, this is an interesting situation.  Just to be clear, the 1.2.1 build is at http://mods.oni2.net/node/320 and I don't think it supports macOS 10.6, so you are probably using the 1.1.1 legacy build at http://mods.oni2.net/node/319 on your MacBook.

Okay, before we get to the AE, I'm curious if regular Oni is printing any error messages to Console, debugger.txt, or startup.txt when you launch it.  Also, try adding a file next to Oni.app called launch_args.txt and placing "-nosparkle" in it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 10/09/16 15:10

Paco90

Hi Iriscen, thanks for your quick answer.
Yes you are correct, the version I installed on the MacBook was the 1.1.1, not the 1.2.1.

I cannot find any debugger.txt or startup.txt file in the Oni folder, is this where I would be supposed to find them ?
Immediately after launching Oni (without the launch_args.txt file) I read in the console:

09/10/2016 22:26:14,311 Oni[882]: Sparkle: Not time for an update check; only 86127 seconds have passed since last update check.
09/10/2016 22:26:14,311 Oni[882]: SparkleBridge: SUUpdater has finished, unloading nib.

After launching the app with the debugger.txt file with the -nosparkle option the only menu I see is "Oni" and it is empty. Before that I had all the "Oni", "File","Edit","Window" and "Help" menus operational. But nothing else happens.

Hope this helps.

#4 10/09/16 16:10

Iritscen

Yes, debugger.txt and startup.txt should be in the Oni folder.  It's stunning that Oni isn't creating at least startup.txt.  Thanks for the Console messages -- I was wondering if Sparkle was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be.  I don't think I've encountered this problem before.  Could you take a screenshot of all files inside the Oni folder, and maybe I'll see something of interest there?  Also, does the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.godgames.oni.plist exist, and if so, is there a value inside the file that is assigned to the key "RetailInstallationPath"?

#5 10/10/16 14:10

Paco90

In the Oni folder there is:

AE
Anniversary Edition Setup.app
Lisez Moi
GameDataFolder
Oni.app

I have not detailed the list of files inside the GameDataFolder because this is just a copy the folder on the retail CD, but I can give it if you think it could help.

The file ~/Library/Preferences/com.godgames.oni.plist does exist and contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[...sorry can't post links...]">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ONShowOptions</key>
    <true/>
    <key>SULastCheckTime</key>
    <date>2016-10-10T18:54:04Z</date>
</dict>
</plist>

So there is nothing assigned to the key "RetailInstallationPath"

#6 10/10/16 15:10

Iritscen

Okay, here's one thing to try: see that key "ONShowOptions"?  Set the "true" under it to "false", save the .plist file, and see if Oni launches.

#7 10/10/16 16:10

Paco90

I have changed the ONShowOptions to false and when I launch Oni the result is the same, I have the menu bar but nothing happens.
No startup.txt is created either.

#8 10/10/16 20:10

Iritscen

Strange....  Can you put the following arguments in launch_args.txt, separated by spaces, and see if Oni launches?  If not, there may be additional messages in Console this time which could help.

-debugdisplay -noswitch -novideos

#9 10/11/16 01:10

Paco90

It works !! I have no idea why but it works now. Thanks !!

#10 10/11/16 05:10

Paco90

Well maybe I was too fast... I did some tests with various combination in the launch_args.txt file to see if one single of these parameters could explain the issue, it went all fine (starting with video or without, in window or full screen... all fine), then removed the launch_args.txt and problem again. Now I try to put back the launch_arg.txt put it does not help anymore, back to square one, Oni won't start sad. Very strange.

#11 10/11/16 11:10

Iritscen

Are you still naming the file launch_args.txt?  One time in your last post, you called it launch_arg.txt, so I wanted to make sure.

#12 10/11/16 12:10

Paco90

Yes sorry, typo mistake, I made sure the file name was correct, launch_args.txt

#13 10/11/16 19:10

Iritscen

Have you tried using -nosparkle again?  I think that Sparkle may have been part of the problem, even if there's more.

If -nosparkle doesn't get Oni running, can you add the argument -debugdisplay and check Console again for messages from Oni?  (Adding -novideos and -noswitch may help too, or at least they shouldn't hurt.)  By the way, do you have a multiple-monitor setup, or just one monitor?

Have you tried restarting the Mac and running Oni as the first app after restart, to make sure that some other app you use isn't preventing Oni from working?  That doesn't seem likely to me, but since Oni was running for a little while, I am wondering if something else in the OS environment is changing.

Finally, just a reminder to check for startup.txt and debugger.txt again.  Since Oni ran successfully before, those files must have been generated, but the question is whether they are being written to when you attempt to launch Oni now.  Every launch of Oni should overwrite those files with new contents, even if Oni is crashing at launch (unless it's crashing really early).  You might have already checked, but I need to make sure they don't have something new in them from Oni's last failed launch, since they are the most useful files in determining why Oni won't run.

#14 10/12/16 14:10

Paco90

I just tried the following:
- using -nosparkle in the launch_args.txt => The result is similar as last time, it seems the launching stopped even earlier than without the -nosparkle argument
- adding the -debugdisplay, but nothing appear in the console
- staring Oni as the first app, but the result is the same

I have have no external monitor, only the iMac screen

After checking the startup.txt and debugger.txt files, I can confirm that they were not modified at all after any of the failed launches. So the "crash" should really be early.

Even if Oni has been starting a few times yesterday, it seems it was really by luck. As you said maybe something in the OS environnement is causing this. I tried to start Oni right after start of the computer as the first app, but the problem was the same.

It reminds me a little of another problem I had with Office, when starting it some days he was asking me to enter the licence key as if it was newly installed, some day it was working fine, randomly. Apparently it was a known issue with the fusion drive. Probably the two problems are totally different but I wanted to to mention it just in case it can help.

#15 10/12/16 15:10

Iritscen

Hmm, I never heard that the Fusion Drive can cause that kind of issue.  That's disappointing, I was looking forward to having one in my next Mac.

I'm going to have to research this a bit more, and hopefully post later today.  As you said, the hangup is happening extremely early in the launch process if it's not leaving a single trace in any logs, and I can't imagine what Oni is doing that early besides maybe trying to play the intro movie or move the movie files from inside the application bundle to the GDF (which it only has to do once).

Maybe you can try copying the Oni folder to a thumb drive and running it from there?  That should tell us if it's your Fusion Drive that's the problem.

#16 10/13/16 01:10

Paco90

Good idea to start Oni from an USB drive, I tried but the result is the same.

Regarding the Fusion Drive I must say that I am still very happy with it. I had this one problem at the very beginning but this was fixed by an update and now no more problems. So I can still recommend it.

Anyway thanks for your efforts trying to solve this problem!

#17 10/13/16 11:10

Iritscen

Okay, thanks for trying the thumb drive thing, it's good to be able to eliminate the Fusion Drive as a suspect.  I didn't get to look into this issue any further last night because my computer was down for maintenance, but I'll let you know if I have any further ideas.

#18 10/16/16 09:10

Iritscen

All right, I'm back with a couple more ideas.  I meant to ask this one before: have you performed the ad-hoc signing of Oni that is described in the read-me "How to run Oni.rtf"?  I think you must have, in order to run the game at all, right?

Secondly, since Oni ran successfully at one point, can you look at the preferences in com.godgames.oni.plist once more and make sure that there is no "RetailInstallationPath" setting now?  If set incorrectly, it could be pointing Oni to the wrong directory.  You might also want to make sure that "ONShowOptions" is set to "false/" with the ending slash, since I didn't confirm that before.

As near as I can tell, the only things Oni does before writing to startup.txt are:
- reading launch_args.txt
- moving intro.mov and outro.mov from the app bundle to GameDataFolder (AKA "GDF") (performed on initial run only)
- running Sparkle to check for updates (if -nosparkle is not supplied)
- displaying launch panel (if ONShowOptions is true, or Command or Option key is held down)

So the only other thing I can think of at the moment is:
1. Delete intro.mov and outro.mov from the GDF.
2. Re-download the app.

There's a small chance you got a corrupted download.  But besides that, I want to check how soon the launch process fails when Oni is not running correctly.  Presumably, when Oni ran correctly for you, it moved its movie files to the GDF, but the question is whether it still performs that task correctly when it hangs without opening a game window.  So if you re-download the app, and it still doesn't run, please confirm where the intro and outro movies are -- inside the app (Oni.app/Contents/Resources/), or in the GDF.  If they are still inside the app, then something has gone wrong at or before that stage.  That will rule out some possible problems.

#19 10/16/16 16:10

Paco90

So:
- I confirm that I have allowed Oni to start as described in the "How to run Oni.rtf"
- "com.godgames.oni.plist": I confirm that there is no "RetailInstallationPath" setting. I changed the "ONShowOptions" to "false/", but no change when starting Oni.
- I removed the intro.mov and outro.mov from the GDF, re-downlaoded and re-installed the Oni.app and the launch_args.txt.  After the first run the intro.mov and outro.mov files are copied to the GDF and they are not anymore in the Oni.app/Contents/Resources/. The result is the same, Oni does not start, only the menu bar on top which I can use to quit.

The only modification which seems to alter the way Oni is starting is the -nosparkle option. When adding it, it looks like the starting process is even shorter because the menus in the menu bar are incomplete and not operational.

#20 10/16/16 21:10

Iritscen

Thanks for trying those things.  At the moment, I'm most suspicious of the launch panel.  In the course of testing the change to ONShowOptions myself, I've (re-)discovered something interesting, which is that a bug still has not been fixed in Sierra 10.12 which goes back to around Mavericks 10.9: the OS will retain a .plist's previous contents in memory when it has been changed on disk, and applications will see the contents in memory, preventing your manual change from taking effect.

I believe that in Yosemite 10.10 you can force the new .plist to be read into memory, and thus make the changes accessible to the app that owns the .plist file, by calling "defaults read com.godgames.oni.plist" in Terminal.  In Sierra, even this did not work for me; nor did logging out of the OS.  I had to restart completely in order for my change to take effect.  (Please note that "defaults read" will always show the changes you made to the .plist even when an app will not see those changes due to the OS bug, so it's useless for checking if your change took effect.  Either it forces the OS to reload the .plist or not, but you won't be able to tell from "defaults read"'s output.)

If it helps, this is a copy of the .plist which should cause Oni to skip the launch panel: http://iritscen.oni2.net/temp/com.godgames.oni.plist

We can't be sure that the launch panel is the problem at all, so even if you successfully get Oni to see the "false" setting for ONShowOptions it may not fix your problem.  But this is the only thing I can think of right now.

#21 10/17/16 01:10

Paco90

I typed the "defaults read com.godgames.oni.plist" and restarted the mac to be sure (but kept my original "com.godgames.oni.plist" which was very similar to yours) and.... it works smile

To be sure it is not just by luck again I  will try again tonight to confirm (have to go to work now...).

But I am optimistic smile

#22 10/17/16 01:10

Paco90

I tried to start with option key on, and the same problem appears again. Without the option key it start normally. The problem seems to come from the launch panel as you suspected.

#23 10/17/16 09:10

Iritscen

Very interesting.  Your test of holding down Option seems to confirm that it's the panel.  I'm actually glad I ran into the .plist problem in Sierra because otherwise I probably would never have remembered that this is a long-standing bug in the OS.  Apple doesn't really want people modifying .plists manually, so I have a feeling that they deliberately refuse to fix this issue.

Although I don't know what in the launch panel causes this issue, I wonder if it has to do with your computer running in French.  The launch panel doesn't seem to have any localization strings for foreign languages.  It seems unlikely that this is the problem, though.  We have lots of non-English users, and it seems like every one of them would run into this issue.  Plus, I switched Sierra to French, and the launch panel still loads for me (displaying in English).

#24 10/17/16 13:10

Paco90

Thank you very much for your help to find a solution. I am also happy that you knew about this .plist problem, this is not an easy issue to spot I guess.

Although there is still this problem with the launch panel, I can now fully enjoy playing Oni again, so that is fine for me.
But in case you intend to investigate more this issue I will be of course glad to help by doing additional tests if needed.

#25 10/17/16 15:10

Iritscen

Okay, thanks.  Glad that we got it working!

Board footer