Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/03/08 21:02

Gumby

The GameFAQs page for Oni...

...is apalling. Made by Interheart...the H-Game manufacturer?!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin … 80355.html

-_- I suppose I (or somebody) should use this form to fix it...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/contribute/subm … eid=580355

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#2 02/04/08 03:02

ItemfinderDeluxe

Re: The GameFAQs page for Oni...

How about we all do a collective guide on the wiki - you know, develop beginners and advanced stategies, that sort of idea? Then one of us posts it on GameFAQS (complete with advertising for the wiki and forum).

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#3 02/04/08 09:02

geyser
Website

I recommend porting this very good guide to the wiki:
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/guides … index.html

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 02/04/08 13:02

Ultimatum479

No, it's got factual errors in the Combat Strategies section, not just bad ideas. Also, you'd have to request permission for that; at most, stick a link to it on the Wiki.

Work in progress...

#5 02/04/08 14:02

geyser
Website

"No, it's got factual errors in the Combat Strategies section, not just bad ideas." You have yet to point them out.
If you don't, we can't tell what they are, so it's as if there weren't any. As far as I'm concerned, it's very good.

"Also, you'd have to request permission for that; at most, stick a link to it on the Wiki." The link is already there...
As for the wiki port, it will be largely different from the HTML or PDF version, and with those "factual errors" fixed.
Considering that, and that Gamespot's page is very old (links to Godgames etc), I wouldn't bother asking them.
Credit where credit is due, Gamespot would be cited as the primary source, which would be almost "fair use".
Then again, if our community reformulates the whole thing as ItemfinderDeluxe suggested, it's all good...
I mean, Gamespot's guide then just provides an influence/inspiration of sorts, as for the general layout.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 02/04/08 16:02

Ultimatum479

(-.-) Of course you can tell. Look at the examples he lists on this page: http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/guides … p3_01.html

I mean, Triple Hit Haymaker = unblockable?! Muro blocks it all the time.

Work in progress...

#7 02/04/08 17:02

ItemfinderDeluxe

Well, that's one error found then. Why don't you keep pointing them out, so that we can fix them for our own version of the guide?

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#8 02/04/08 18:02

geyser
Website

"Triple Hit Haymaker = unblockable?! Muro blocks it all the time." Are you 100% positive he blocks the final punch?

EDIT: Did a little testing here. I can definitely see him block the first 2, but definitely not the final punch. So there.

Last edited by geyser (02/04/08 18:02)

#9 02/04/08 19:02

Ultimatum479

He just doesn't like blocking three quick attacks, but he does block the third punch on its own. Try either keeping your distance or starting the combo with a Rising Fury or other slow punch instead of a standard punch. Anyway, you can definitely block the triple hit haymakers which Dream Lab Konoko uses all the time, so that takes the AI out of the equation and solves the issue conclusively.

I'm also fairly certain the Crescent Moon Kick doesn't just chip as he claims.

I don't think these are really errors, though. I think they're differences between the PS2 and computer versions. I'll look into it next week; I know someone who has the PS2 version.

Work in progress...

#10 02/04/08 19:02

geyser
Website

"Anyway, you can definitely block the triple hit haymakers which Dream Lab Konoko uses all the time, so that takes the AI out of the equation and solves the issue conclusively."
Heh, I wish it was so simple, but the guide is supposed to account for the AI's ability to block the player's PPP, not vice versa. And I must say in that respect it seems accurate.
The AI blocking skills are specified on an AI-per-AI basis and use random runtime variables. It's still a rather obscure part of the engine, but in any case it's the AI that matter.

"he does block the third punch on its own. Try either keeping your distance or starting the combo with a Rising Fury or other slow punch instead of a standard punch."
How the heck am I supposed to start a PPP combo with anything but a PP combo? Anyway, I think what you get to see is an unintended glitch more than anything else.
In any case, your initial claim (i.e. "Muro blocks it all the time") was rather hasty. Should it be "he can block PPP, but only by accident or if you screw up on purpose"?

"I don't think these are really errors, though. I think they're differences between the PS2 and computer versions." Possible, but you know we can't take it for granted smile
For one thing, the guide looks primarily PC/Mac-oriented to me. The alternate instructions for PS2 users clearly appear as extras, and the cheats section is PC/Mac-only.

Last edited by geyser (02/04/08 20:02)

#11 02/04/08 21:02

Ultimatum479

No, the guide specifically states that the triple hit haymaker is "unblockable", not "never blocked by an AI". He refers to its unblockability as an "attack modifier". There's no ambiguity there. Here's an easier way for you to try it, since the others apparently aren't working for you: knock Muro to the floor, then start the combo as he gets up. Time it so that the second hit is blocked simply by virtue of his blocking all attacks automatically as he gets to his feet; when he's on his feet, he will then stand and block the third attack the majority of the time.

Anyway, since you guys have been editing moves left and right, can't you just check the file and see if the triple-hit haymaker is unblockable? It's not.

Last edited by Ultimatum479 (02/04/08 21:02)

Work in progress...

#12 02/05/08 00:02

Gumby

I didn't mean a whole guide...yet tongue

I just meant basic game info >_< Such as who actually made the game.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#13 02/05/08 09:02

Iritscen

It does say that the backbreaker defeats enemies instantly.  Not true when you've moved above grunt-level enemies.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 02/05/08 09:02

geyser
Website

Yeah, that's the one major inaccuracy, I'd say. Oni's help/diary screen is more modest about the backbreaker's damage.
Then again, that's pretty inspiring. If we make enemies more fluent with back kicks and such, the backbreaker'll be back.
I mean, if enemies no longer let you do backbreaker spam, maybe it can be made as deadly as Gamespot says it is smile

#15 02/05/08 16:02

Ultimatum479

Really, the guide makes it seem like he's typing it all from a faulty memory after having played it a decade ago, and he was never good at all in the first place. I've never seen a red-level enemy fail to block a Triple Hit Haymaker that was started normally in front of them, I've never seen any enemy successfully block a Crescent Moon Kick, I've never seen the Devil Spin Kick do chipping damage, I've been thrown while doing a spinning sidekick, it is _quite_ easy to dodge enemy Equalizer fire, enemies don't attack as they're getting up if you've already hurt them while they're on the ground, his note about the Phase Stream Projector not affecting non-human opponents is as BS as his claim that the PSP instantly disarms an opponent upon contact, the Screaming Cell Cannon _owns_ at close range against the AI, putting the VDG away before using the Backbreaker on the stunned opponent is an unnecessary waste of time, sliding under or flipping around the Scram Cannon's missiles is far safer than leaping between them...(-.-) Yeah. That guide's pretty crappy.

Last edited by Ultimatum479 (02/05/08 16:02)

Work in progress...

#16 02/05/08 16:02

geyser
Website

Crappy guides are there for a reason. They make the players feel smart when they outgrow the guide smile

#17 02/05/08 17:02

Ultimatum479

Well, I'd rather have a real guide on the Wiki. I guess I'll make that my last gift to y'all before I run off for a month. Gimme a bit.

EDIT: Okay. You now have your (admittedly less user-friendly but) slightly more detailed guide. I'll improve on it when I get back in a month. wink

Last edited by Ultimatum479 (02/05/08 19:02)

Work in progress...

Board footer