Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/31/16 11:05

Distinguished

Sorry, Oni has ran out of memory!

I've seen the previous posts, but I seriously don't think the memory's the issue.

I mean I've tested it. I open the game with AE Installer 2.26. I have only 46 mods turned on and THAT'S what it says: "Sorry, Oni has ran out of memory!"

I DID considered that maybe I have too many mods installed, and so I shut off a few of them. Exact same result.

Then I "experimented" and shut down ALL of them. You guessed it, EXACT SAME GODDAMN MESSAGE!!!!!!!

However, what's worth mentioning, is that I actually played the game before with all these mods before and it worked fine. And with a few things in personal life, I sorta took a brake from Oni. I few weeks (maybe even months) passed before I wanted to play again. So I ask you, is there simply some OTHER problem with the Installer? Is there an update I didn't get during my absence?

Also, I don't know if that's relevant, but I have several GB's of free space on my Hard Drive.

#2 05/31/16 13:05

Iritscen

Re: Sorry, Oni has ran out of memory!

At the risk of sounding difficult, if Oni says it's out of memory, it has to be a memory issue :-)  Even if you have a ton of RAM, Oni is limited in how much it can utilize for certain types of game data.  Since the limits are hard to determine, we haven't been able to program the AE Installer to prevent people from going over those limits, so we recommend in the startup tips window that players start with no more than 20-30 mods (and depending on the mods, even that number is pushing your luck).  46 mods means a lot of additional data being added to the game.  I can't imagine that you actually can see the results of all those mods, or that you are currently using them all at the same time.

It's strange that you still got the error when turning off all mods.  But I would suggest starting over with a new AE installation, installing 10 mods at a time, and seeing at what point you get the memory error.  Perhaps you'll find that there's a problem with a specific mod, but otherwise I can only guess that either some mod data got "stuck" in the AE game data and isn't being uninstalled (which should be impossible, because each installation is done from scratch), or else maybe you forgot to hit Install after unchecking all the mods wink

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 08/04/16 13:08

3371-Alpha

You know, just for the hell of it I decided to screw around with this & discovered that the game becomes extremely unstable when you have more than 40 mods installed. Considering that the game it's self is still 32-bit (even when running on a 64-bit machine like my G5) maybe too many mods causes the game to exceed the 4GB ram limit on 32-bit systems.

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (GPU overclocked to 438.75MHz, VRAM to 330.75MHz)

#4 08/04/16 15:08

Iritscen

I don't think that Oni's total RAM usage ever hits 4GB, but I could be wrong.  The issue is that Oni has some hard limits to the amount of certain types of data it can load.  I can't give any specific numbers off the top of my head, but the total number of particle classes is an example of a number that can be exceeded when there are too many mods with custom particles loaded.

Oni's various limits were set by the programmers with the original game data in mind, and sometimes only have a 2x clearance (supporting twice as much of that kind of data as is found in the vanilla game data files) or even just 1.25x.  BWest didn't give any consideration to mods making things more complex.

Frankly, installing 40 mods is pretty abusive to the game and I would only expect a confusing and unstable experience if I combined that many mods.  But many players don't seem to have ever met a mod they didn't want to install wink  I always hoped to perform an in-depth investigation into the various causes of instability so that the AEI could be programmed to avoid bad mod combinations, but haven't found the time.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer