Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/08/16 19:02

Samer
Website

Ghost in Shell live movie?

To be honest I've never watched ghost in shell but found this article on my newsfeed on facebook, thought it might be interesting to some of you http://nerdist.com/movie-morsels-live-a … ghing-man/

did you know there was a ghost in shell live movie planned?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 02/08/16 22:02

Iritscen

Re: Ghost in Shell live movie?

Yep, it's been in the works for a while, but it's fairly controversial with a lot of fans because they are whitewashing the cast (presumably they're going to change the Japanese names too, so Motoko won't be Motoko).

To be honest, I don't personally care if the cast is Japanese or not.  This is one of those non-issues that the fans always complain about (the same thing happened with Akira and Neon Genesis when those LA movies were in the works).  But the only reason the characters are Japanese is that the story was written by a Japanese person.  Their nationality does not have much importance to the plot.

My bigger concern is just that Hollywood sucks and adaptations are practically never as good as the source material.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see that they are talking about the Laughing Man.  He is the villain from the first season of the first TV series, Standalone Complex.  The villain in the original movie was the Puppet Master.  I had assumed they were adapting the 1995 movie's story which inspired Oni, but apparently not.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/09/16 01:02

Lithium

yeah i thought they were gonna go for the film plot as well, I suppose SAC could work better here considering it's more popular

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 06/03/16 12:06

tens

Well, I felt calling it whitewashing was a bit extreme in any case and really, I wouldn't mind the Japanese actually pulling it off instead of these complains just going all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKkp2jjOk88

Jigguk here gives us a nice rundown of why it should just get done and done well.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#5 04/04/17 17:04

Iritscen

So has anyone seen the movie yet?  Want to share your thoughts on it?

#6 04/27/17 01:04

RainbowEon

Iritscen wrote:

So has anyone seen the movie yet?  Want to share your thoughts on it?

I actually made a video on the live-action movie not long ago, but I can't post links so it's whatever.

My short version of my personal thoughts on the movie is, "Don't watch it." If you're a fan of Ghost in the Shell, you'll probably enjoy a lot of the visuals and references, but the movie is solely style over substance. The main plot could have totally been something great, but the writers didn't dig any deeper than they should have. Not going to spoil anything, but for comparison, there's two segments from the original 1995 movie and this one, and the 1995 movie spends a good 15-20 minutes setting everything up, building up tension, going through action, and ending on some great emotion, and the new movie throws all of that away for some visual references, a fight scene, and a cold, sterile, and emotionless ending to that segment.

It's a real shame. I know a lot of people say that the movie was actually better than they expected, but as a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell, I was actually more disappointed than I thought that I would be.

#7 04/27/17 08:04

Iritscen

Too bad, but I kind of figured that would be the case.  I only watched one long trailer, but there was a gunfight, filmed using excessive slow-mo, where Motoko employed aimbot skills to take out a bunch of bad guys, and it had no tension or excitement to it.  In the original movie, firefights always feel dangerous and quick, so right there I had a feeling that the director was probably the sort that knows how to make pretty pictures but not how to direct a compelling story (looking on IMDb, the director has all of two motion pictures under his belt counting this one, which tells you how much the studio valued this adaptation).

Welcome, by the way.  The forum doesn't let people post links until they have something like 10 posts, but you can always muddle up the link a bit to get it by the filter, even though it won't be clickable.

#8 04/27/17 13:04

RainbowEon

Well then: https://youtu(.)be/pUuPJ7qP7ZE

That should take you to it if you're interested.

But yeah, I was really disappointed to find out that Rupert Sanders, the guy who has only directed one other move. And it was that mediocre Snow White and the Huntsman to boot. I watched some interviews with the guy, and he seemed to know a lot of the history and story behind Ghost in the Shell, but the movie completely glossed over any sort of deeper thought-provoking elements that made the other movies and shows more interesting to watch. I'm not sure of this is completely his fault, or if Hollywood meddled and forced the movie to be more "accessible" to wider audiences.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Denis Villenueve direct the film. He's done some great work, jumping from genre to genre, but all of his movies work nice and slow, with deliberate storytelling. He's directing the new Blade Runner, which is gonna be great, but I'm always curious how great Ghost in the Shell would be with him.

#9 04/27/17 21:04

Iritscen

Cool, thanks.  The video looks entertaining, but I'm extremely averse to spoilers, so I need to make sure I'm not ever going to see the movie before I can go past the early minutes of your review.  (Whoa, I see you also reviewed Saga Frontier on your channel.  That game was intriguing but also perplexing, and it kicked my butt as a novice RPG player).

I'm not familiar with Villenueve, but he sounds like he knows what he's doing.  It's incredibly hard to find American directors whose work I can enjoy, though there are a few.  I guess I'm spoiled by watching classic American films and lots of Kurosawa.  Most animé is also better directed than Hollywood movies.  I saw the "first five minutes" trailer for this movie that showed the whole geisha scene.  Among other issues I noticed, there was often no feeling of continuity from one shot to another.  I couldn't even tell if some shots were taking place in the same movie, let alone how the different rooms and angles were spatially connected to each other.

Anyway, another thing that the trailer hinted at for me was that they were introducing an Oni-like aspect to the story -- not so much the final Oni story, but the early story that was going to be called Mnemonic Shadow, where Konoko's memories are falsified and being used to control her.  They backed away from that idea when the story was rewritten, but you can see a vestige of it in the fact that Konoko has strangely little (any?) memory of her past.  I don't really want to know where that plot thread goes in the GitS movie, since I'll find out if I watch it, but my mind immediately went to Oni because of the spiritual connection between the properties.

Board footer