Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/04/08 12:02

Iritscen

TXMPs and Konoko

I am still learning about the TXMP format.  Is there something unusual about the TXMP for Konoko's face?  There's two files, TXMPIteration001%2Fk4_head and TXMPIteration002%2Fk4_head (which are identical), and neither exported properly on my Mac, although I have used a PC to obtain them.  However, they are still dithered, and I don't see dithering on any other characters' faces.

I know there are different formats, ARGB4444, RGB555, ARGB5551, RGB888, and S3TC/DXT1.  But when are they used?  As far as character TXMPs, is only one of those formats used, or does it vary?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 02/04/08 13:02

geyser
Website

Re: TXMPs and Konoko

888 is only used for skyboxes in Oni. While we could use it for environment or character textures, I wouldn't.
555 is used for most textures (plain bitmaps). Many of those are DXT1-compressed in some versions of Oni.
Some of the 555 textures (glows, flares, fire, smoke, etc) are set up for additive blending (without alpha).
4444 is used for most textures with transparency or reflectivity. Characters only use 4444 for reflections.
5551 is used the same as 4444 except the transparency/reflectivity is encoded with 1 bit only (ON/OFF).

As an example, all the textures for the TCTF Konoko are 555 except the head (4444), chest (4444) and shoulders (5551).
Depending on your version the 555 textures may or may not be DXT1-compressed (which results in a loss of quality).
Anyway, her face is always 4444 (uncompressed). The dithering is not really specific to her: there's plenty of it in Oni.
Maybe the low resolution and dithering are supposed to take care of the anisotropy issues; maybe they just messed up.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 02/04/08 14:02

Iritscen

Wow, okay, some of that was over my head, but it was very informative anyway.  Think I'll save the info to ruminate on later.  Thanks.

#4 02/04/08 14:02

geyser
Website

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/05/08 09:02

Iritscen

Yah, I did look that over, but didn't find the info on how each format is used.  Maybe the techspeak overloaded my brain, but I still don't see it.

Board footer