Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/26/16 20:04

fangoramecha

About 3d modelling editing.

What's a good 3d modeling software to mod oni's characters, weapons, items, objects, and levels?  Is there a free one for Oni out there?

#2 04/26/16 20:04

Iritscen

Re: About 3d modelling editing.

Hi there.  As far as free tools, Windows users tend to use XSI Mod Tool, and Blender is an option as well (though I dislike its interface, personally).  Any modeling app should work as long as it can output DAE, that is, Collada (or if you convert its output to DAE with another app).  There are no standalone modeling tools or all-purpose visual editors for Oni, but Paradox has put a lot of work into this Oni plugin for Mod Tool.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/26/16 22:04

EdT
Website

You can find information and download links for XSI Mod Tool here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik … e_Mod_Tool

#4 04/27/16 10:04

fangoramecha

Cool, thanks!  I was thinking is can you use Milkshape 3D program as a 3D tool for Oni, because I've worked on some Max Payne mods and it's totally compatible with Max Payne!  Just curious if you can use Milkshape 3D with Oni.

#5 04/27/16 11:04

Iritscen

It looks like Milkshape can export DAE, so it should work, but I don't remember anyone ever trying it before, so you might have to iron out some technical issues like scale, axes, whatever.

Ultimately, DAE is just the standard format that we edit models in; you have to convert the model between DAE and Oni's format, which is where you use OniSplit.  Looking over our wiki, I can see that our instructions here are somewhat outdated (for instance, the paths given under "Basic importing and exporting" assume you have the Anniversary Edition installed, but they're also wrong for the current AE, and the instructions are for using OniSplit directly, but we have a GUI for OniSplit, Vago, which should be mentioned there).

In any case, there are users here with plenty of experience importing models into Oni who can answer questions.  It helps a lot if you have prior experience working with other games, though I don't know how similar the Max Payne modding process is to Oni's.

#6 04/27/16 15:04

fangoramecha

Thanks!  Just one more question and it's referring to Milkshape,  can you use the Oni plug in mod tool on Milkshape or is that strictly just for the XSI Mod Tool?

#7 04/27/16 19:04

Iritscen

It will only work with Mod Tool.  It's a .xsiaddon file written according to whatever protocol XSI uses for Mod Tool plugins.  But most of the character models that have been brought into Oni were made before the plugin was available.  It seems that the plugin is mostly for level creation, so its usefulness depends on what kind of modding you wanted to do.  In some cases, without a GUI to assist you, you will probably have to edit some XML markup manually.  But we can walk you through that stuff when you come to it.

#8 04/29/16 04:04

fangoramecha

Ok, thanks man!  That helps alot!  big_smile

#9 05/02/16 19:05

Scarlett

I use XSI mod tool 7.5 to make animation, texturing and modify character models. It's pretty easy to use once you get used to it

Last edited by Scarlett (05/02/16 19:05)

Board footer