Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/30/08 18:01

Melodyman

Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Absolute Zero changing character

Hallo! i was able to change characters of eny level by replaceing BINACJBOCharacter file of eny level to oher lavels same file. recompile and its'done.
for example if you replace lv 13 BINACJBOCharacter file to lv 19 you can play final battle with thease characters of that level - IntroMuro , EvilKonoko etc. don't forget to lanche step 9999 after replacemant and change lv scripts. but the originaly level characters dissapier! maybe is some way to put them all togather?!

#2 01/30/08 18:01

Gumby

Re: Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Absolute Zero changing character

Yeah, you don't really need to do that, with the Anniversary edition, all of the characters are availiable everywhere...but changing the enemies is a bit tricky...I don't remember any easy ways right now...

PS: upgrade to version Preview: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=338

Last edited by Gumby (01/30/08 18:01)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 01/31/08 01:01

TOCS

But still, i dont see why you call the thread like this. But yea every thing is in the level 0.

#4 01/31/08 06:01

geyser
Website

Melodyman has got an interesting point there, relevant first and foremost to Mac users, but also to those who want to pimp up scripts like OTA.
chr_set_class and chr_focus don't work on the Mac, so the only way to vary the appearance of NPCs is indeed to modify BINACJBOCharacter
It's indeed quite straightforward to move BINACJBOCharacter across levels, keeping in mind that the default spawn locations will be "wrong".
For single-player missions, one would have to systematically modify every ai2_spawn command, and add a chr_teleport immediately after it.
OTA is easier because everyone gets teleported anyway, so you'd only have to move the "teams" BSL along with "its" BINACJBOCharacter

Nice point, definitely.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 01/31/08 11:01

Melodyman

Glad i can help some way.  still waiting for new oni mods and ai modifications! keep on working... and if eny have something attach the file and we will chack it out! good luck!

#6 01/31/08 13:01

Gumby

If you want, I am completely free today (sleeping for 12 hours and missing school ftw!), and if you can tell me what level you are doing this with, I can give you a hand with the scripting portion

#7 01/31/08 16:01

Melodyman

scriptin no problem. i want that all game characters would be in one place. i know Edt added some characters to a level 1! that's nice! but i i don't understand why he added specialy those characters?
I would add OutroNinja and Muro- the last one! meybe someone can tell me how to get them in eny level? and meybe someone can make a mod where TCTF_swat_blackops were tougher and stronger and use better AI?

#8 01/31/08 18:01

Gumby

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on there. I can only put characters that are already in a level. So pick a level to put into another level, and I'll write a script that puts most of the characters in one place.

---

EDIT: I may have lied there tongue I might be able to "insert" characters into a level if you are using a PC. Are you? And what exactly do you want done?

---

EdT added those characters because they were the bosses of the game. I don't know how to do that yet, you will have to ask him or look through the wiki. The 7AE edition should have made the characters harder (I think tongue). Whoever does melee profiles (EdT? or someone) would be able to tell you if there is an upgrade to the TCTF guys...

Have you upgraded to the newest edition yet?

Last edited by Gumby (01/31/08 18:01)

#9 01/31/08 19:01

EdT
Website

If you look this thread, http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=287
you can see what I did to add the characters to level1.

Basically, the BINACJBOCharacter file has data for each character for that level.  If you look at the file with a hexeditor, you'll see that the info for each character starts with RAHC and it is 0x224 in size (hex) or 548 bytes. (I work with bytes, since its easier for me).

This is important to know because for each character you add to a level, you have to change 2 other numbers in the file.

As this screenshot shows:
CHARlevel1.jpg

38 7C is the size of the part in the raw/sep file in bytes (31800)
30 7C is the size of the complete collection from this postion in bytes (31792)

(These numbers will be different depending on which level you are editing. )

So for example if you add ten characters to this level, its will increase the size by 5,480 bytes

So the size of the raw will now be 31800+5480 = 37280 and the collection size will be 31792+5480 = 37272
Now you have to translate those numbers into hex 37280 = 91A0 and 37272 = 9198. But in Oni, you have to reverse the numbers (its related to endian), so in the file you have to change them to A091 and 9891.

Finally, as geyser states you need to do the following:

The last 4 bytes (after the last CHAR entry) used to be 00 00 00 00, signaling the end of the collection.
You will have to change them to 20 02 00 00, to announce the size of the first element you're adding.
Then after your first new element you'll have to write 20 02 00 00 to announce the other new element.
Finally, after your "new last element", be sure to write 00 00 00 00 to signal the end of the collection.

That's it!

Last edited by EdT (02/01/08 01:02)

#10 02/02/08 22:02

Melodyman

I didn't understund mush of the hex editor. it's wery complicated sad i would be wery grateful if you add some characters to the BINACJBOCharacter of lv 19... for example OutroNinja( super ninja) evil konoko and some swat and lite blackops from lv18 and attach the file... please....

#11 02/03/08 23:02

EdT
Website

I'll work on it smile

#12 02/04/08 14:02

Melodyman

i will wait for it... big_smile
i tried myself but i didn't do much i need some guidence...

#13 02/05/08 13:02

EdT
Website

Here you go, an updated CHAR file for level19.  I added the following:

barabus, NinjaZip, evilkonoko, mad_bomber_1, TCTF Swat (A_Sbo15, B_S96), TCTF_lite_blackops (B_Lbo26, B_Lbo27), TCTF_lite (B_L30), Copmale (B_C32, D_L88), Copfem (D_S83, D_C100)

Backup the original BINACJBOCharacter.oni file in the level19_Final folder, add the new version and then recompile level19

Now I want to see some cool scripts written with these additional characters! smile

http://edt.oni2.net/mods/Level19CHAR.zip

Last edited by EdT (02/05/08 22:02)

#14 02/05/08 23:02

Melodyman

O my god! you turn my dream into reality! Many thanks! I will do what i can with scripting....i know i will script a lot...

#15 02/06/08 01:02

Melodyman

one more question... for which version of Seventh Anniversary Edition if works?

#16 02/06/08 01:02

Melodyman

never mind all works! thanks...

#17 02/06/08 02:02

Melodyman

maybe you can replace NinjaZip with OutroNinja?
and add some tanker_hard to the level?
there is nice site http://ssg.oni2.net/subfold/charas/charas.htm to look for best characters! you probably know... smile

#18 02/06/08 11:02

EdT
Website

Melodyman: I certainly could make the changes, but I want you to try it first.  You know the saying "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day... teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

So let me give you an example on how to replace NinjaZip with OutroNinja.
UPDATE: As geyser states below, if you replace NinjaZip with OutroNinja, OutroNinja will disappear at the first opportunity to go back home to the Rooftops. big_smile

But anyways the principle of the lesson still applies, so here it is:

First go to the level12_Final folder and look at the file BINACJBOCharacter.oni with a hex editor.  Look for the part that deals with OutroNinja, I have it highlighted:

level12Outro.jpg

Copy that part.

Now look for NinjaZip in level19 (Make a backup of this file)

level19NInja.jpg

Now paste over NinjaZip, save the file, recompile level19

Since you are not adding any characters, you don't have to change anything else. 

You can also do the same with the tankers, pick which tanker you want and replace any of the characters I added.  You don't want to replace any of the level19 characters, since that will affect playing the actual game.

When you want to add more characters to a level, read over my first entry in this thread.  I think you will understand it now.

For more info about the CHAR data, look at this page:
http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:BINA/OBJC/CHAR

Have fun and post some of your modified files.

Last edited by EdT (02/06/08 13:02)

#19 02/06/08 12:02

geyser
Website

Moving OutroNinja across levels is a bad idea because his combat profile makes him teleport to hardcoded locations corresponding to the coordinates of the Rooftops arena. In any other level, he will teleport up, up, and awaaaaaaay... kinda anticlimatic.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#20 02/06/08 13:02

EdT
Website

geyser: Thanks for the info about OutroNinja.  I'll leave the tutorial as is, with the warning about OutroNinja, because I'm too lazy to change the rest of it! smile

#21 02/06/08 19:02

Melodyman

ok i am starting to understand the hex editor. thanks for guidence!  jea saying is very enlightening!

#22 02/07/08 09:02

Melodyman

i added character but it's not in level? i mean in file it is but it's not spawning!
and how to attach the file?

#23 02/07/08 12:02

EdT
Website

Did you add the character at the end of the file or did you replace a character?

I guess the attachment feature of the forum is not working.  Need to find a place to host the file, then link to it.

#24 02/07/08 14:02

Melodyman

Ok it work only when i replace characters. but why i can't add them to level? OutroNinja works wery well if you change class to simple ninja exp.
chr_set_class 01 ninja_hard_1!  it does't teleport but figts good! i enjoyed the fight OutroNinja vs evilkonoko(brutal)!

#25 02/07/08 16:02

Melodyman

can you tell me where easily host the file?
http://wiki.oni2.net

Board footer