Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/26/16 20:01

Scarlett

Naomi added to Arena of hurt but how to go about releasing it?

I added Naomi to Arena of hurt and the rooftop level similar to arena of hurt where you can select your enemy and customize everything. But how should I go about releasing it?

#2 01/26/16 21:01

Iritscen

Re: Naomi added to Arena of hurt but how to go about releasing it?

These should be patch mods.  If you would like some help, please start off by listing which files you had to change in one of those levels in order to put Naomi in there.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 01/27/16 02:01

Scarlett

Just the BINAJCharacter.oni file (I hope I spelt that right)
And all the bsl files which includes adding a character
And the Melee Profile
That's it smile

#4 01/27/16 11:01

Iritscen

Okay, so let's consider those files one at a time:

- Mods can't patch BSL files, only replace them, but that's okay; it just means that someone shouldn't install another script mod to the same level at the same time as yours.  This has been considered to be an acceptable modding limitation, because it's unlikely that two script mods would happen to work well together.  But this means that you will need to identify any pre-existing Rooftop script mods and list their package numbers after the IncompatibleWith flag in your Mod_Info.cfg.

- Since the BINACJBO files (it's easy to remember the spelling if you keep in mind that it means BINAry OBJeCt) are singleton resources (there is only one of each kind for each level), if you replace the BINACJBOCharacter in Rooftops, or whichever level, in order to add Naomi to it, your mod will be incompatible with other mods to that level.  In some cases, that might be desirable, as you may not wish your mod to combine with some others, but generally we don't use the IncompatibleWith flag unless there is a real problem when two mods combine.  So you could either make your mod incompatible with other Rooftop mods that alter BINACJBOCharacter, or you could create an XML patch that simply inserts Naomi into the existing BINACJBOCharacter file.  We can talk about how to do that.

- Unlike the Character file, BINACJBOMelee Profile is normally found in level0_Final, so it's a global resource.  So you can see an even greater need for a patch, because if you replace the global Melee Profile with one that has Naomi added to it, it makes your mod incompatible with other mods that also add new characters to Melee Profile.  There is a second option, which is to just use a local Melee Profile for your mod; a local copy of a resource will be used by Oni instead of the global copy of that resource.  So you could put a new Melee Profile in, say, level12_Final, to add Naomi just to Rooftops.

However, I am seeing an issue now that I look at how other mods have replaced Melee Profile, and I am going to have to create a new topic to address this with the modders.  So maybe you can just hang on for a bit while I have that discussion.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/27/16 16:01

Scarlett

Thanks and some of what to just explained I knew them already. Maybe we can get other modders who added their mods to the arena of hurt to tell what character or what changes made to it and maybe see what we can do from there but it's easier said than done because some modders may not be here

#6 02/05/16 20:02

Samer
Website

when you say arena of hurt do you mean Oni zen garden by Leus? that's the one that allows you to type which enemies to fight.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 02/05/16 21:02

Scarlett

Yes that one. I didn't mess with anything much. I just add Naomi's melee and character and in add her to the bsl as "nao". That's all. I didn't remove or change anything that is already there. I'm not really sure how to make .oni-patch files

Last edited by Scarlett (02/05/16 21:02)

Board footer