Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/24/16 21:01

Samer
Website

Where is Edt?

Is Edt still around? I have not seen him on the forum for a long time.
He is kinda the heart and soul of Oni modding, and besides Iritscen and Paradox he was the one who'd always be here encouraging newbies and offering advice.
Has anyone been in contact with him lately?
I hope he is okay. The forum is not the same without him sad
P.S I am glad Iritscen and Paradox are still here smile also glad to see Lithium and Leus.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 01/24/16 22:01

Iritscen

Re: Where is Edt?

I've been wondering what he's up to as well.  It's been a while since I talked to him.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 01/25/16 12:01

Delano762
Website

I talked to him a couple of times during this summer on steam, and now his account seems to be offline since 56 days.

Last edited by Delano762 (01/25/16 12:01)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#4 01/25/16 21:01

EdT
Website

@Samer: Sorry, I have been around the forums for a long time, I guess I got burned out and lost interest in modding Oni.

It is nice to see that the forum is active and that there is a new modder Scarlett who seems to be doing quite well in creating a new character.

Recently, I have been wanting to play Oni again, but haven't gotten around to it. So hopefully, I can be more active, though I have forgotten a lot. Also after getting a new computer and updated OS, a few of my modding tools "broke" so it may take awhile to get back on my feet, if I can.

@Delano762, how is your experiment using Blender coming along?

#5 01/25/16 23:01

Iritscen

Ah, good to hear from you Ed.  I figured you might still have been feeling burned out, but I didn't want to speak for you.  Glad you're still lurking, anyway.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 01/26/16 08:01

Delano762
Website

EdT wrote:

@Delano762, how is your experiment using Blender coming along?

Last time I was working on it (summer) I was able to correctly export TRAMs from XSI to Blender, but textures were all messed up because XSI couldn't export a TRAM to an .fbx along with a texture. Didn't investigate further.
So:
1. It's possible to edit Oni animations in Blender, although:
   a) importing a TRAM to Blender is a pain in the ass (you have to import a TRAM to XSI, export it as .fbx, convert it to a newer version of .fbx using FBX Converter, and then import to Blender)
   b) textures are broken in Blender - every polygon on a character is textured with character's texture (does Oni have separate facial textures?), because XSI is unable to export textures properly to an .fbx for some reason which I don't remember.

2. We're still stuck with our ancient technique of manual, bone-by-bone animating.  And we're still going to be stuck until we improve our animating skills, and find out how to make and use "rigs". Moving from XSI to Blender most likely won't change this.

I'm in the university now, so I don't think I'm gonna do anything Oni-related soon, though once I'm done with this academic year (assuming I make it) I've got a little idea - we've got some sort of animation department here that specializes in motion capture, and if they specialize in it, then they probably also know how to animate in a more traditional fashion. The idea is I gotta find out someone who works there, who isn't an asshole and who would be willing to explain some animating basics. Or maybe even find out some animation "circle" working on the university and join it.

Last edited by Delano762 (01/26/16 08:01)

#7 01/26/16 15:01

Samer
Website

EdT big_smile
I'm glad to hear from you, missed you ^_^

I am in the same boat, burnt out, lost interest, and forgotten a lot, but trying to get back into it (for the 10th time or so tongue) don't know how if I will succeed to be honest. But I know I missed creating new things.

I hope you will become active again when you feel the time is right, if it is still something you would enjoy of course smile

Hope everything else is going fine for you on a personal level.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#8 01/27/16 11:01

ltemplar

To Delano762/EdT

I really don't know what problems You guys have when exporting to blender.
Both data formats used by oni (obj. and collada) are working as fine . I did quick import test with  collada data(TRBS of hi-def Konoko) and everything is working as expected.The  texture coordinates are in place , all pivots points too so, so I have no idea what errors you may have here.
Maybe animations have some problems( don't know I need to check that first) but definitely not the simple idle positions.
BTW. With version of Blender You are using?

Ltemplar.

Last edited by ltemplar (01/27/16 11:01)

#9 01/28/16 18:01

Delano762
Website

Version 2.75:
pEgwJmI.png

#10 01/30/16 04:01

ltemplar

Umm ok. But still what's the problem here?
Axis correction , Animation is messed up or what?
If it is only the broken UVW coordinates then I see no problem here, because if I recall correctly, the TRAM data regards only to the bones rotations and transitions sorted in corresponding animation, and not the model geometry or textures itself. So if the TRBS is exported correctly and It is as I've prove above , that is all You need.
But if that not convince You there is a workaround.
1.First export the TRBS.
2.In UVW view select the coordinates for all bones and save them.
3.Export the TRAM
4.Select the bones in the UVW view and load the saved previously UVWs.
Enjoy the proper looking models with animation

That method will take up to 5-10 minutes . But as I said before, it's really for these who, from some personal reasons need to see textures when animating and can't stick to blenders original materials/shaders.

Hope it helps You.

Ltemplar.

#11 01/30/16 10:01

Delano762
Website

Thanks, will try that later.

Board footer