Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/15/16 01:01

Lithium

[Spoilers] What did you all think about the Force Awakens?

I went in expecting a mediocre film because the prequels made me hate anything new but I was pleasantly surprised by it, I feel it gets a lot of flack from people simply because its plot is similar to A New Hope, which in no way is bad. The story presented itself with fresh new and enjoyable characters, I see no harm in using a simple and familiar plot to establish a connection to new audiences and prove itself as a worthy follow up to the original trilogy.

Really am glad I saw this and it was perhaps my favorite movie of last year... because it's the only movie I saw last year. 8/8

Last edited by Lithium (01/15/16 01:01)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#2 01/15/16 06:01

TOCS

Re: [Spoilers] What did you all think about the Force Awakens?

Definitely my favourite movie of last year as well! There're a few things which still bugs me though. Killing off the coolest character in the entire franchise is sort of annoying at this point since there're still two movies to go. I still hope he survived, I just can't let it go lol. Besides that, the guy they cast for General Hux is just so corny. The actor doesn't exactly scream leader material. Also, the name "Supreme Leader Snoke" is pretty cheesy. What was wrong with "The Emperor"? That just sounds so much more cool.

Aside from that, I can't wait to see the next one where Luke might get some more screen time. There're still quite a few things unanswered in this film, which I hope they elaborate further on in the next movies.

#3 01/15/16 10:01

Iritscen

I enjoyed it, and I thought all of the casting choices were good.  Some of the character names are indeed a bit dubious, such as "Snoke" and "Knights of Ren", but that's a minor point and I am looking forward to finding out more about those characters, especially the other Knights.  There's probably only two things that really bugged me about the movie:

- What are the odds that the Millennium Falcon would be right there?  I mean, seriously.  This reminds me of the terrible coincidences in J.J.'s 2009 Star Trek movie.
- Rey is sort of a giant Mary Sue.  She can hold her own in a battle with a weapon she's never held before, she can use Force Persuasion and Force Pull without ever having seen them before, and she knows everything about maintaining and flying space ships, when all she's apparently been doing all these years is pulling pieces out of crashed ones to sell to her boss.  As a counter-point, we can look at Luke.  He learns to block with a lightsaber in just one minute in the original movie, and is also a natural at flying and fighting in an X-Wing just because he used to shoot womp rats from his T-16.

All in all I thought they might have rushed through too much story, and should have laid out more of the back story; just a few minutes of exposition would have been nice.  But this too mirrored the original movie, where they rushed through events from beginning to end and virtually no time was spent explaining anything about the Empire, the Jedi, or the Rebellion to an audience that had never heard of them before.

I suppose the goal of this movie, on the highest level, was to reassure everyone that the franchise was in good hands, and they decided to do this by telling the same story over again to invoke nostalgia (but seriously, did Rey also have to come from a desert planet?).  If there's one truly different thing about this movie, it's the character of Kylo Ren, who is very unlike Darth Vader and could make for an interesting break from the original movie story as things go on.  I thought it was daring of them to create a villain who is more wannabe than badass, knowing how some people were probably going to criticize him.

since there're still two movies to go

What makes you think that?  I don't think Disney has any plans of stopping at a trilogy.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 01/15/16 10:01

Lithium

Yeah I personally didn't like Rey honestly, she did feel too Mary Sue, and yeah I agree with the Luke thing but I feel she does come off as more in control of everything. Regardless she's not harmful, just not really a character type I enjoy seeing too much.

And yeah Disney's planned a trilogy since before this movie came out, along with 3 other movies.
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-war … e-calendar

TOCS wrote:

Killing off the coolest character in the entire franchise is sort of annoying at this point since there're still two movies to go.

I was personally happy to see him die as it's something Ford had wanted for Jedi a long time ago, and I'm glad he went out with this film as he was a very enjoyable character and did do things to impact the plot as opposed to Jedi where he didn't really do anything.

Last edited by Lithium (01/15/16 10:01)

#5 01/15/16 13:01

Iritscen

Lithium wrote:

Yeah I personally didn't like Rey honestly, she did feel too Mary Sue, and yeah I agree with the Luke thing but I feel she does come off as more in control of everything. Regardless she's not harmful, just not really a character type I enjoy seeing too much.

Yes, it would have been nice to see her struggle more, but Luke didn't either in the first movie, and look what happened to him in the second.  You could say that he got a comeuppance for thinking too much of himself by fighting Vader without being properly trained.  I think the big question is if they are going to have the guts to do something like that to sweet little Rey.  Boyega has said that the next movie will be darker, so it looks like they have the original trilogy's structure in mind as a model.  We'll have to see what happens.

And yeah Disney's planned a trilogy since before this movie came out, along with 3 other movies.
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-war … e-calendar

I see, thanks for the info.  I was in my specially-built Spoiler Panic Room before seeing TFA, so I didn't read anything about the plans for future movies.

I was personally happy to see him die as it's something Ford had wanted for Jedi a long time ago, and I'm glad he went out with this film as he was a very enjoyable character and did do things to impact the plot as opposed to Jedi where he didn't really do anything.

Yeah, I was okay with that too, and they did it in a way that was meaningful (to Kylo's story) and not cliche.

#6 01/15/16 13:01

Lithium

Can't wait to see her arm getting cut off!

#7 01/15/16 14:01

Iritscen

Heh, that's mean.  Besides, losing a hand is cliche by now.  I can think of another direction they could go in that would be fitting for an Empire-like second movie.  There are important things people can lose besides body parts....

#8 01/15/16 15:01

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

What makes you think that?  I don't think Disney has any plans of stopping at a trilogy.

Because that's what we know so far. No doubt they will milk the brand for what it's worth, I just don't think we'll see a coherent storyline through more than three movies at a time.

#9 01/15/16 16:01

Iritscen

Yeah, Lithium cleared that up for me.  I suppose they might bring the story of Leia and Luke to an end with the conclusion of the trilogy so that they don't have to worry about being able to get them again in 2022 or whenever the next trilogy (?) starts, then just focus on the newer characters.  I know one thing, I saw an interview with Daisy Ridley and she was smiling like a million bucks.  Talk about hitting the jackpot, huh?  But I like her in the role, she played it just right imo.

#10 01/16/16 01:01

Lithium

Iritscen wrote:

Heh, that's mean.  Besides, losing a hand is cliche by now.  I can think of another direction they could go in that would be fitting for an Empire-like second movie.  There are important things people can lose besides body parts....

Yeah but if they don't follow tradition then JJ will be crucified on a cross that resembles Kylo's lightsaber while George Lucas laughs on in the background as his CGI army starts to take over the world.

Upon his reign he will die old and bitter as he lacked the heart and love JJ did, he'll die alone on his bed holding a snow globe with his last words being "Midichlorians", and thus will end a dark chapter of humanity's life.

Granted this will also happen if he does follow tradition.

Iritscen wrote:

I know one thing, I saw an interview with Daisy Ridley and she was smiling like a million bucks.  Talk about hitting the jackpot, huh?  But I like her in the role, she played it just right imo.

Can't really blame someone for taking part of some actual good SW films, they get to be part of a generation (also yeah money but I like to think it's the impact :^( ). Like when John Boyega saw himself pull out a lightsaber during a tv spot, he flipped his shit and threw himself off his couch, I've never seen a man so happy and excited, it was amazing.

Last edited by Lithium (01/16/16 01:01)

#11 01/16/16 10:01

Iritscen

I saw it suggested somewhere that they could have been picked partly based on enthusiasm or their potential to be good ambassadors for the franchise.  So yeah, I'm sure they do find it genuinely exciting.

#12 01/16/16 11:01

Rei

Not really a fan of the Star Wars series, didn't watch any until my friends persuaded me to watch The Force Awakened and I am impressed with the storyline and visuals. Still haven't watch the first 3 movies...

#13 01/16/16 13:01

Iritscen

Heh, wow, there's still a few of those people out there.  You should watch the original trilogy, if not also the prequel trilogy.  Don't let the fans that act like Comic Book Guy affect your expectations, they're all reasonably enjoyable movies.

#14 01/16/16 13:01

TOCS

I never really got the absurd amount of hate the prequels got either. They're decent movies, albeit, with a bit too much CGI, but still pretty well made movies. I'm happy they went with more practical effect uses in the newest film though. Especially the scenes in the bar with Maz. All the creatures are exceptionally well made using very little CGI. I hope that's the direction for the next films as well.

#15 01/16/16 22:01

Lithium

The issue with the prequels is not the story, CGI, or even Jar Jar himself, it's the boring and unrelatable characters. Audiences need someone to connect with like Luke, Finn, or Rey, the prequels don't really have anyone like that. Obi Wan's a bit too disconnected and mature for people to connect, Anakin's a mess of a character, and Padme... fucking Padme man.

It just lacks any real impact or desire to see characters succeed, Lucas doesn't know how to write people one can relate to or take as real people with motivations and desires to succeed. That's really about it, the other issues are valid but I don't think any compare to a main one a general audience needs, an emotional connection.

#16 01/16/16 23:01

Iritscen

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about it that way.

#17 03/25/16 22:03

Knox

I really liked it. Saw it twice around Christmas.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#18 03/26/16 09:03

TOCS

I just watched it yesterday again in our own mini house cinema. It was great. Can't wait to see what's in store for the next episode.

#19 03/29/16 18:03

Darquesse

I think the hype got to me, because I was disappointed when I saw it on launch day. I couldn't quite pinpoint what I didn't like, but maybe it was the pacing?

Anyways, I rewatched it a few hours ago. Not only did I like it a lot more the second time around, but it really felt like a rewatchable classic, as well as a series I'm excited to see more of!

I think Oni is a pretty cool girl. She kills syndicate and doesn't afraid of anything.

#20 03/29/16 19:03

Iritscen

Avoiding the hype has always been an important part of enjoying new Star Wars movies, probably going back to 1983 smile

#21 04/11/16 03:04

Lithium

Too bad the folks from 99 didn't understand that.

Board footer