Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/14/16 10:01

DacianDraco

Need help with chosing mods

Hi all, for 2 days i've been trying to group mods and make Oni work but i always get the "Sorry, Oni has run out of memory!" msg sad This is what i have and i'd like to know what i could remove to make it work:
29pwac9.jpg

From reading some older forum posts i understood i'm not supposed to load too many mods at once, but i had double the current amount and kept removing and i just don't know which eat up a lot of memory so i can disable those instead of "light" ones which i can keep. I think i can disable "Better Warehouse and Training" and "HQ Airport" after i've passed those levels but from i have selected now maybe i don't need something and i can disable them and have them on later.

For now i've settled on having the enhanced story setup, with tougher AI, HD textures, better weapons, blood, glass, etc.
But after i'm done i'd also like to try some of the new levels that don't use what i would have for story, so if you can please post some of your "mod selections" for different setups that work, so i can experience everything.

Thank you for your time

#2 01/14/16 11:01

Iritscen

Re: Need help with chosing mods

That's still a lot of mods smile  Probably the highest memory usage will come from texture mods (a 128x128 texture upgraded to 512x512 is 16 times larger) and from mods that add new characters.  I don't have any specific recommendations for sets of mods; I would just recommend not turning on so many mods that you won't understand everything that has been changed in the game and which mod is responsible for each change.

For instance, you've enabled some mods that hardly do anything, such as paradox's Nyan Cat mod, which places an Easter egg in one specific place in one level (largely as a joke/test), as well as installing a bunch of new characters, and new characters won't show up in the regular game, only in script mods that are written to support them such as battle arena-type scripts.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 01/14/16 21:01

DacianDraco

Ok, thanks for answering, so far i've managed to get it started by removing HQ Airport, then removed Better Warehouse and Training once completed and re-enabled HQ Airport and now that i'm done with it removed it again, and also Nyan Cat because it was in the airport and i won't be needing it anymore, i think. Seems these 2 HD levels ate a lot of memory but it was worth it, they were so so beautiful. big_smile

And i think i can push it further and add a few more mods if memory can handle it, so i'll try and see how it goes and report back. So now i've also enabled Oni Dark Future TC and i see it changed all variation of the Striker's mesh but that's it, they don't feel tougher and also they don't always have weapons as the description says, the tanker is still the casual tanker, maybe it conflicts with other mesh mods i have. The description also says it works best with ONCC (?) and Better Weapons mod, the former i don't know what acronym it is for but the latter i have.

And i wonder, do the mesh mods i have override each other? Maybe i can take out some and make more room for something else. For ex from the mod's description "Character Retexture" has the most and i prefer it over anything else, but i'd also like to have:
1) BlackOps Syndicate (have't seen them yet, not even a black variant for the striker, maybe doesn't work with Oni Dark Future TC)
2) Bozzman's TCTF (haven't seem them yet and maybe it doesn't work, but i've read it ads a middle variant for the TCTF normal, swat and female mesh with a bit more health, that i'd like to face)
3) Casual Tankers (i think this changes all tankers, because so far i've only seen casual ones, thou the description says only some change, so maybe it overides HD ones from Character Retexture and BlackOps Syndicate)
4) Fem Black Ops (have't seen them yet, too early to tell, hopefully they appear when Oni goes rogue and i'll be fighting the TCTF)
5) Golden TCTF (again i'm not too far in game but i'd be nice to have a higher tier of TCTF with more health and faster speed to face)
6) HQ Ninjas (too early, but seems they are the same as the ones from Character Retexture, so maybe i won't need it)
7) Jester & Co (used in the DreamLab level with Sam Mega Pack conversion, hope it works and i'm looking forward to see it)
8) Sentry Droid (is this the same as the Training Bot from Character Retexture, maybe i don't need it)

As for other mods that add characters i think i need/want them all, for ex:
1) Bozman's Barabas (seen him at the start of lvl 2 and i remember i'll fight him again, cool looking so it's a keeper)
2) Casey (seen him twice, he was pretty tough in lvl 2 and 3 and later when i go rogue i've read that i'll fight him)
3) Griffin HD (was in cutscenes and i remember i'll fight him when i go rogue, has the mouth of an upset baby but i still like him)
4) Grey Fury & Regenerating Tanker & Kojiro (from Sam Mega pack i've read they will be bosses so looking forward to it)
5) Hanako & Hayate (also from Sam Mega pack, seen a vid and i want to face them both at once, will be challenging)
6) Hasegawas (the parents, i don't know where they are used now, i know in the Wilderness Preserve level they were used, but i removed it, and if i try to install mods without them the msg tells me it's already downloaded and will be selected, strange)
7) Konoko HD Armor (i've read it's recommended with Sam Mega pack, but i don't if it's different or more than what's on Character Retexture)
8) Muro's Wardrobe (seen him in cutscene and i'll probably fight him in the dream so i'd be nice to have him in HD)
9) Shinatama Bot (i remember i'll fight her at some point so again i'd be nice to have her in HD)

So if anyone can tell me if it's ok to have them i'd be happy, or if not if i have to remove one or two and which of them to not mess up most of them. I don't think i have any more custom characters that are for custom levels, because i know i've removed all of them (i think) like all the BGI variations, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Motoko, Rayman, etc. After i'm done with the story i'll try them out in custom levels, and i welcome any recommendations.

#4 01/14/16 23:01

Iritscen

I can't answer a lot of your questions off the top of my head (maybe some others are more familiar with some of the mods), but the Sentry Droids are not the same as the Training Bots.  The droids are a new "character" that float in the air.

The reference to an ONCC mod must be "Upgraded ONCCs", which was a terrible name for a mod.  ONCC is Oni Character Class and just refers to the basic data about a character, such as their health, so this mod made the game harder, however we never ported it to the latest AE (I think there was a reason for this).

As I mentioned, a lot of those new-character mods don't actually do anything in the usual game, only if you're playing new levels or you installed a script mod for an Oni level.  For instance, Hanako, Hayate, the Hasegawas, and probably almost all of the others too.  When it comes to a lot of these mods, you need to try them on their own to know if they make a difference.  For instance, Konoko HD Armor is a massive upgrade to the whole character model for armored Konoko (most mods do not actually change the model mesh, just the texture), so you should have noticed right away when you played chapters 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, or 8, but when you install so many mods at once, you don't get to see what is being changed by each mod.

That being said, probably a number of the mods could have benefited from more explanatory descriptions, and some descriptions are out of date, so that's something that the modders could do better on.

#5 01/15/16 01:01

Lithium

Replies in bold

1) BlackOps Syndicate (have't seen them yet, not even a black variant for the striker, maybe doesn't work with Oni Dark Future TC)
-----No real use for them, one mod you could cut

2) Bozzman's TCTF (haven't seem them yet and maybe it doesn't work, but i've read it ads a middle variant for the TCTF normal, swat and female mesh with a bit more health, that i'd like to face)
-----Only appears in custom game modes like Zen Garden by Leus that Samer edited iirc, don't believe they appear in the normal game, even with Samer's pack

3) Casual Tankers (i think this changes all tankers, because so far i've only seen casual ones, thou the description says only some change, so maybe it overides HD ones from Character Retexture and BlackOps Syndicate)
----Changes the early ones so the later ones are normal i believe

4) Fem Black Ops (have't seen them yet, too early to tell, hopefully they appear when Oni goes rogue and i'll be fighting the TCTF)
--- Yes they show up when you're rogue, make sure you are using the pack Samer released that edits levels, ditto for 5

6) HQ Ninjas (too early, but seems they are the same as the ones from Character Retexture, so maybe i won't need it)
-- Don't need

7) Jester & Co (used in the DreamLab level with Sam Mega Pack conversion, hope it works and i'm looking forward to see it)
--- should work just fine

8) Sentry Droid (is this the same as the Training Bot from Character Retexture, maybe i don't need it)
---Yeah you don't need it
---------------
6) Hasegawas (the parents, i don't know where they are used now, i know in the Wilderness Preserve level they were used, but i removed it, and if i try to install mods without them the msg tells me it's already downloaded and will be selected, strange)
----------- Needed for the conversion pack thing, they're used in a level

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#6 01/15/16 19:01

DacianDraco

Thanks for the reply guys. The new characters mods that i kept are linked with Sam Mega Pack and i like what i saw in his topic so i'm keeping them. But i've removed Oni Dark Future TC because besides the mesh, it didn't do anything else, and removed BlackOps Syndicate cause it's not a new class, just recolor that i wasn't seeing anyway. Also removed HQ Ninjas and Brutal Konoko because Character Retexture and Brutal AI includes these. Kept for now the Bozzman's TCTF and Sentry Droid, because maybe i'll get to see them, if not i'll just remove them next time.

And i've added Rifle Sprinting mod which works fine, the H2W System that works fine thou with shield it drains it if i'm knocked into a wall or something, and the Dashing Blur mod, but this last one i later had to remove because Oni crashes in lvl 6 when i meet my partner (i presume) and he starts fighting Strikers, also when i turned invisible and the invisibility wore off i didn't get anymore blurs when running, sometimes but not always with getting shield as well. Too bad, it was a cool effect.:(

And i'm glad i got to fight the first new boss, through dying and loading saves i now noticed how tankers sometimes are normal sometimes are casual, so the Casual Tanker works as it's supposed to, but so far haven't found any new weapons which leads me to believe they don't appear in the story, but i'll keep the New Weapons Collection for now. Tomorrow i hope to play lvl 7 and 8 and i'll report back.

Last edited by DacianDraco (01/22/16 12:01)

#7 01/16/16 01:01

Lithium

yeah new weapons are console only, I've had buggy experiences with them so use at your own risk

#8 01/16/16 09:01

Iritscen

In other words you can switch to them using F7 when Dev Mode is on, but they won't otherwise show up in-game (except for in some script mods, maybe?).

#9 01/16/16 16:01

Samer
Website

glad you are keeping SMP-conversion and the character retexture smile
yes the new weapons won't show up in the actual gameplay. I utilized them in the Natural preserve custom level though so you can uninstall them.
sentry droid will not show up in actual gameplay but is used in the custom level Boss fights by Edt and can be fought in the custom levels of Oniz Zen Gardens.
Konoko HD is different from what is in my character retexture pack, konoko hd improves her model and textures of her standard outfit, mine works on her other outfits.
I recommend also Griffin HD by Iritscen .

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#10 01/17/16 13:01

DacianDraco

Ok guys so yesterday i've played through lvls 7, 8 and bit of 9, and i got to see Bozzman's TCTF which works like Casual Tankers, sometime replacing some normal and swat TCTF with the "medium" variant. Got to fight the 2nd new boss but i found it conflicts with Dashing AI, i'll post it her mod thread because i didn't find Dashing AI thread. Had another crash with Dash Blur mod at the end of save 3 of lvl 8, after i opened the top doors and the swat guys come after me, and i believe their jump triggers it. Got to fight one of Mukade's henchmen, but this time i could move on and it didn't crash or anything. Still was fun and challenging and i'm looking forward to seeing the other boss like characters. big_smile

Anyway i added the Assault Rifle mod, thou as the Better Weapons pack i'm probably not gonna see it in the story, which is a bit sad. sad I feel the shotgun (because of knockback) and any long range rapid fire riffle would have fitted well in the game, especially since with the AE installed i see Konoko carrying them in the title screen everyday.

So moving on, and if my pinky finger won't start hurting too much i hope to get another 2 lvls in to report.

#11 01/17/16 19:01

Samer
Website

adding dash blur and other particle mods is not recommended with my characters, dash blur has issues with HD Konoko and particles. just disable it.

further increasing mods that install particles like assault rifle is also not recommended, you are practically asking for it to crash at this point.

#12 01/18/16 00:01

Lithium

glad it's working better now

#13 01/18/16 09:01

DacianDraco

So far so good, yesterday i've faced Mukade's henchmen when running after Mukade, also got to play the dream level which was awesome, really felt like a gauntlet. So basically the Dream Lab is now my favorite level. big_smile

And now i'm on level 12, and have just seen one of the new Golden TCTFs kill my uncle, and if i remember correctly have 1 more level to go so i might finish the story today. As per mods i've let go of Dash Blur forever, because it bugs with the TCTF's swat guys and i don't want any more trouble.

BTW, anyone remembers if Mukade's henchmen drop anything after you fight them each individually? The other bosses both dropped something. Also do they have any weapons they use? It's strange that after defeating them i don't get anything, also they don't say any text like other bosses, and don't show avatars when i meet them. It's not a problem but i want to make sure they don't conflict with other mods i have installed.

#14 01/19/16 03:01

Rei

I think it's correct. The files state they won't drop anything on their first encounter. Although I think a Hypo would be a good reward.

Dash Blur is incompatible with many major mods. Even dashing AI is also incompatible.

Also remember to NOT [spoiler] kill Griffen [/spoiler] for an alternate final battle. After you are done, you can try my Syndicate Warehouse Mod, Manufacturing Mod and Bio Lab Mod. Try on Normal first, it gives the classical Oni Nostalgic feel while being more challenging than Syndicate Mountain Easy. You can try custom levels too such as Old China (A ninja protagonist mod). City (A Parkour based 1 on 1 against many custom characters mod) or Wildlife Preserve (A Konoko's parent adventure mod).

#15 01/20/16 11:01

DacianDraco

Thanks for clearing that out seems everything is working as it should. I'm done with the story and didn't have anymore crashes, thou i found it weird that Konoko was able to jump insanely high all throughout the final level. At first i thought this was made so that she can reach the towers where the snipers are, thou a long time ago when i played classic Oni i just made use of the environment and cloaking spheres, then the SBG and maybe blow one out of the tower and hopefully get a Mercury Bow. Anyway it was a bit annoying because when i can't maneuver much in tight spaces (starsways, platforms, etc) i use the Running Lariant followed immediately by a Jump Flip on their back and i couldn't do this anymore because of the high jump. I've played on Hard and the final battle didn't seem too much, i had full hypo reserve.

For now i'll take a short break because i'm full, but i'll return and try your new level suggestions, thou i'll probably have to make other mods setup for each, we'll see how that goes.

#16 01/21/16 20:01

Samer
Website

DacianDraco wrote:

So far so good, yesterday i've faced Hakano, then both her and Hayate when running after Mukade, also got to play the dream level which was awesome, really felt like a gauntlet, Muro looked good in his HD suit, got to fight the jester family, Hakano and Hayate again but with different clothes, struggled a bit when i got to Griffin in HD with Casey and his girlfriend i presume, a rebuilt Shinatama which had some pretty fast moves for a bot, and finally evil Konoko that turned into Mukade, but mom and dad came to lend a helping hand, which i really needed at that point. So basically the Dream Lab is now my favorite level. big_smile

And now i'm on level 12, and have just seen one of the new Golden TCTFs kill my uncle, and if i remember correctly have 1 more level to go so i might finish the story today. As per mods i've let go of Dash Blur forever, because it bugs with the TCTF's swat guys and i don't want any more trouble.

BTW, anyone remembers if Hayate and Hakano drop anything after you fight them each individually for the first time? The Regenerating Tanker and the Grey Fury both dropped 2 hypos and a green energy cell. Also do they have any weapons they use, like the Regenerating Tanker and the Grey Fury had zappers? One is at save 2 lvl 9 and the other at the end of save 1 lvl 10, and it's strange that after defeating them i don't get anything, also they don't say any text like Regenerating Tanker and the Grey Fury did, and don't show avatars when i meet them. When i fight them both at once one drops a hypo and the other the "stick" i need for the zip line, and in the dream they both drop hypos. It's not a problem but i want to make sure they don't conflict with other mods i have installed.

Goody glad you liked the dream level ^_^ don't post spoilers though! tongue
and No Hayate and Hanako don't drop anything first time you fight them ... Hayate is almost at the end of the Regional Building, and Hanako I felt there were plenty of hypos before her, and they technically just teleport away before they can drop anything, did you feel there is a need for them to drop something? if so I might make them drop something in the future.

Last edited by Samer (01/21/16 20:01)

#17 01/22/16 12:01

DacianDraco

You're right i didn't think about spoilers at all, just wanted to state the progress and if there was something wrong veteran players would point it out. I can't find a spoiler tag but i'll edit my msgs a bit.

And i didn't feel they needed to drop something, just wanted to make sure it doesn't conflict with other mods, because until then the new bosses i fought had weapons, avatars with some dialogue and drops, so i falsely presumed Hayate and Hakano also had this but it wasn't working for me. Anyway glad to hear that's not the case. If anything i think the building top where Hakano is should have a fence around it, like the red ones immediately after her when you take the elevator, so you can't just throw her off the building, but i don't know if it's possible.

#18 01/22/16 17:01

Samer
Website

did you try to throw her off a building tongue? try and see what happens wink

#19 01/22/16 23:01

DacianDraco

No, she jumped after me to the rooftop from where i came and must have fallen, i went there to get a weapon and she was right behind me, when i turned back she was gone. Did the same thing again now and just ran around and waited for her and saw that if she jumps by herself and doesn't land on the platform she is gone and i can move on and take the elevator.

Did it a 3rd time, this time she jumped after me landed on the platform then i jumped back on the platform with the elevator where she spawns and turned back and she was gone, she must have jumped and again didn't land on the platform, also elevator was accessible so she was surely dead.

Last edited by DacianDraco (01/23/16 00:01)

#20 01/23/16 08:01

Samer
Website

uhm that's not supposed to happen :\ if you don't jump on the other platform but throw her off the platform she is on with a throw or punching her, what happens? she is supposed to teleport back like Mukade does.

#21 01/23/16 11:01

DacianDraco

She teleports back in the area she spawns if she falls somehow by my hand, if she jumps by herself i win. I shouldn't be able to bait her into jumping off, i feel a fence would prevent this, jumping or throwing or whatever.

#22 01/23/16 18:01

Samer
Website

it's not easy to modify the initial level's geometry, at least not to me. I will look into ways to prevent her from following the player.

#23 01/23/16 20:01

Samer
Website

by the way did you try the hidden treasure challenge mod ^_^ ?

Board footer